PDA

View Full Version : The Outcast

Mephibosheth
2005-12-07, 12:43 AM
Here's a new PrC I've crafted. Essentially, it plays off the idea of a Warlock being shunned and hated for the perceived evil of his/her powers. It develops some abilities that are based on the need to be secretive and the need to escape hostile situations. Please offer me any comments, constructive criticisms, new ideas, suggestions, balance issues, etc. that you may have. I look forward to hearing from you.

The Outcast

Hit Dice: d6
Requirements:
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Skills: Disguise 8 ranks, Hide 4 ranks
Special: Ability to use Least Invocations
Special: Must have been run out of at least one city because of prejudice on the part of the populace. Essentially, people must hate and fear you for your innate magical abilities.

Class Skills:
The Outcast’s class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + int modifier

BAB: as cleric
Fort/Ref: poor
Will: good
Special:
1 - Practiced Invoking, Eldritch Blast +1d6
2 - Deceive Item
3 - Eldritch Blast +2d6
4 - Extra Invocation
5 - Eldritch Blast +3d6
6 - Subtle Invoking
7 - Eldritch Blast +4d6, Imbue Item
8 - Extra Invocation
9 - Eldritch Blast +5d6
10 - Subtle Invoking

Class Features:
Practiced Invoking – The Outcast relies on his/her invoking ability to survive in his/her life on the run from the rest of society. At every level gained in the Outcast prestige class, the character’s effective warlock level increases by 1 for the purpose of invocations known, the level of invocations known, and for any other aspects of invocations dependant upon Warlock level.
Eldritch Blast – Beginning at first level and every other level thereafter, the Outcast’s Eldritch Blast damage increases by +1d6. If the Outcast has the ability to invoke an Eldritch Blast from another source, or if he/she gains this ability in the future from any other source, the bonuses to damage stack.
Deceive Item – At second level, the Outcast gains the Deceive Item ability if he/she does not already have it. If he/she does, this ability has no effect.
Extra Invocation – At 4th and 8th level, the Outcast’s need to evade capture or death necessitates a greater knowledge of his/her power. He/she gains the Extra Invocation feat. However, the Outcast may only select his/her extra invocation from the following list of invocations that aid in the evasion of foes:
Least Invocations: Beguiling Influence, Darkness, Leaps and Bounds, Spiderwalk
Lesser Invocations: Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, Walk Unseen
Greater Invocations: Enervating Shadow, Repelling Blast
Dark Invocations: Dark Discorporation, Path of Shadow, Retributive Invisibility
Subtle Invoking – Beginning at 6th level, the Outcast learns to disguise his magical abilities. At 6th level, the Outcast gains the ability to invoke any invocation with an effective range of personal (that is, only affects the Outcast) as if under the influence of the Still Spell and Silent Spell feats. This ability can be used thrice per day. Beginning at 10th level, the Outcast can invoke any invocation (including Eldritch Blast) as if under the influence of the Still Spell and Silent Spell feats. As before, this ability is usable thrice per day. This does not suppress any external evidence of the spell (rays of light, alterations of reality, etc).

So, let me know what you think.

Mephibosheth

Dhavaer
2005-12-07, 12:50 AM
It looks very cool, but though I haven't seen the warlock yet, this seems overpowered. Would a warlock be giving up much to go into this class?

Mephibosheth
2005-12-07, 01:01 AM
Well, if a Warlock decided to go into this class, he would either have to spend some skill points cross class to get the requisite 4 ranks in hide (which, at 2 skill points/level, is an expensive price to pay) or take a level of rogue, ranger, monk, or bard, slowing down his/her invocation/eldritch blast progression and possibly facing xp penalties. On top of that, the Outcast gains some crucial Warlock abilities at later levels than a straight Warlock, specifically Deceive Item (if he/she multiclassed to get the requisite skills) and possibly Imbue Item. Additionally, an Outcast gives up energy resistance, the ability to enter a state of fast healing, and almost all damage reduction normally gained by Warlocks. In return, they gain two extra invocations, the ability to disguise their invoking, and more skill points.

Hope that helps.

Mephibosheth

Winged One
2005-12-07, 01:49 AM
I love the concept. If you somebody could make a simmilar PrC for sorcerers, I would definately play it.

EDIT: although I don't know what's up with the Chaotic alignment restriction. But I've never seen the Warlock class, so I'm sure there's something in there to explain it.

Dhavaer
2005-12-07, 02:54 AM
Warlocks have to be chaotic or evil.

Maryring
2005-12-07, 10:30 AM
I think you have quite a lot of skill points. 5 should suffice, but that's what I think.

Winged One
2005-12-07, 11:08 PM
Here's a sorcerer/bard version, made by me. All comments welcome.

The Hunted Witch

Hit Dice: d4
Requirements:
Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise or Intimidate 4 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast arcane spells without preperation
Special: Must have been run out of at least one city because of prejudice on the part of the populace. Essentially, people must hate and fear you for your innate magical abilities.

Class Skills:
The Hunted Witch’s class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, and Use Magic Device.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + int modifier

BAB: as wizard
Fort/Ref: poor
Will: good
Special:
1 - Subtle Spell 1/day, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
2 - Special Ability, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
3 - Subtle Spell 2/day, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
4 - Special Ability, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
5 - Subtle Spell 3/day, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
6 - Special Ability, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
7 - Subtle Spell 4/day, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
8 - Special Ability, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
9 - Subtle Spell 5/day, +1 effective level of spellcasting class
10 - Special Ability, +1 effective level of spellcasting class

Class Features:
Spells per day/spells known: {not sure how to word this}

Subtle Spell: The Hunted Witch can cast a spell without verbal or somatic componets, as well as not having to visibly manipulate the material componets(which are still consumed, but nobody can tell without checking wherever the Hunted Witch keeps his/her compontets) or foci(must still posess the focus), but only if not prevented from doing so(bound or gaged, ect.), a number of times per day equal to the number of odd numbered levels in Hunted Witch he/she has. The spell level is not affected by this ability as it is by Silent Spell and Still Spell.

Special Ability: At every even-numbered level, the Hunted Witch gains a special ability from the following list:
New spell on class list: the Hunted Witch gets a new spell on thier class spell list from the following list: Glibness(3rd level), Modify Memory(4th level), Calm Emotions(2nd level), Obscuring Mist(1st level), Mage’s Private Sanctum(5th level), Pass without Trace(1st level), Produce Flame(1st level), Rope Trick(2nd level), Sanctuary(1st level), Song of Discord(5th level), Symbol of Fear(6th level), Undetectable Alignment(2nd level) The Hunted Witch does not gain the spell as a spell known, it simply becomes an option.
Superstitious Panic: The Hunted Witch uses people's fear of his/her powers to make it easier to fighten them away with them. The DC of all of his/her spells with the [fear] descriptor increases by 2 for anybody who fears the magic itself.
Superstitious Fear: The Hunted Witch is skilled at threatening people with his/her powers. He/she gets a +4 compotence bonus to Intimidate checks when he/she mentions his/her powers.
Deceptive Experience: The Hunted Witch is practiced at convincing others of the nonexistence of his/her powers. He/she gets a +4 compotence bonus on Bluff checks to do so.
Bonus feat: the Hunted Witch may select a bonus feat instead of a special ability. Allowable bonus feats are as follows: Spell focus(illusion), Skill focus(Bluff, Disguise or Intimidate), Eschew Materials, Still Spell, Silent Spell, Persuasive, Run

----

I'm sure it's overpowered, and I welcome suggestions for changing it.

Diem
2006-09-14, 01:55 AM
Hey, I know this is an old post and you probably won't read it, but here's my reccomendation. Add still spell and/or silent spell to required feats; give them more skill points (for necessary hide and bluff skills) so maybe 4 or 6+int mod instead of 2; add some type of ability for spontaneous casters to use metamagic feats easier (if not all of them, then at least still and silent spell) instead of taking a full round action to cast and a +1 level enhancement. If you feel the need for balance after possibly making any of these changes, how about subtracting a caster level or two from the level ups? A witch on the run doesn't always have time to practice magic anyway. Let me know what you think, it is your PrC and I'm just offering opinions.