PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rag Man

reishvedaur
2009-02-24, 05:42 PM
I'm running my first campaign after only a year of playing DnD. I am looking for challenging things to throw at the party, but most of what I've come across is for higher levels or doesn't fit the theme of the campaign. So I've been coming up with my own things. This one is the Rag Man.

Rag Man, ECL 3 Male CE Human Sorcerer variant, “Rag Man”
9 HP, AC 11 (+5 before special attack, +4 for Mage Armor) / Touch 11
BAB +1, Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +5
Str 8, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 18
Dagger, 1d4 – 1, +0 to hit
• Rag Man has sacrificed all feats and known spells (save for his cantrips and Mage Armor) up to the point of ECL 3 in order to control a modified Common Ragomuffyn that is wrapped around him.
• The tattered raglike clothing Rag Man wears is the modified Ragomuffyn, and adds +5 Natural Armor to Rag Man’s AC. It takes half of the damage dealt to Rag Man just as though it were Wrapping him.
• As a standard action, Rag Man may extend his arm and project all of his tattered raglike clothing (save for a robe and his Cloak of Resistance +1) outward, making a Ranged Touch Attack that he adds his own BAB to. 1d4 + 1, +5 to hit. On a successful hit, it gets a free grapple as the ragomuffyn’s Improved Grab at a +4. Once grappling, the modified ragomuffyn acts as a normal ragomuffyn (MM2, p175, “Common Ragomuffyn”). If the hit is not successful, the clothing retracts and is readied for the next available attack. This may not be used as an attack of opportunity.
• Rag Man controls all of the ragomuffyn’s actions; as such, Rag Man controls anyone who is under the Ragomuffyn’s Control Host supernatural ability.

Rag Man would be accompanied by a Beguiler 3/Rogue 1, and a basic second level fighter with a greatsword in heavy armor.

The party is ECL 3: Ranger, Cleric of Wee Jas, Shifter Barbarian, Rogue (leaning towards assassin), and a Changeling whatever-it-is-that-becomes-different-classes.

Is it balanced? Does it pretty well follow the rules?

Flickerdart
2009-02-24, 05:48 PM
It's going to die in the first round of combat. Your Ranger, Rogue and Chameleon will have much bigger Initiative bonuses, and a 3rd level Sorcerer has no HP to speak of. And that AC isn't at all hard to hit.

reishvedaur
2009-02-24, 06:03 PM
Yeah... and I don't really wanna do something like give him invisibility either since the beguiler will already be doing that, but maybe I could make the rags and his robe act as camouflage that give him a good bonus for hiding against a rock wall, and then just ready an action to hit the Cleric (or rather, the first spellcaster he sees) as they're getting ready to cast with the rags. Then it becomes trying to find the hidden sorcerer while you've got a beguiler blinding you with his magic and a fighter closing to kill.

Prometheus
2009-02-24, 09:29 PM
Have him feign death after he is hit hard enough (perhaps the first time he is hit, perhaps when he'd ordinarily die and you just give him a little extra hp). Then, sometime later in the fight, he gets a surprise grapple check against one of the PCs.