PDA

View Full Version : Now, where did I leave it... [Flaw]

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-12, 09:40 PM
Disorganized
You are absolutely terrible about keeping things orderly.
Effect: Anyone besides you attempting to find an item in your gear takes twice as long to find it.
Special: If someone organizes your equipment, you take twice as long to find anything until you disorganize it again. (I can never find things after my room is cleaned...)

I know the handy haversack takes care of this, but so do other multi-hundred-currency products we have.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-12, 09:53 PM
Funny.

The Demented One
2006-09-12, 09:53 PM
Not quite flaworthy. I'd make it so that it effects you as well.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-12, 10:03 PM
How 'bout this then.
Disorganized
Effect: Anyone INCLUIDING you attempting to find an item in your gear takes twice as long to find it.
Special: If someone organizes your equipment, you take four times as long to find anything until you disorganize it again. (I can never find things after my room is cleaned...)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-12, 10:07 PM
How long does it take you to find things normally?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-12, 10:10 PM
Fix the brackets and the spelling errors and this'll be an excellent flaw for the stereotypical mage in the party.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-13, 12:09 AM
I like It, but I think it goes beter as a trait

Disorganized(trait)

You have a unique organization system, that is intuitive to you, but difficult for others.
benefit: Finding an Item takes one shorter action type for you if you are finding it from your stuff (usually from a move action to a swift action)
Drawback: It takes a longer acton (twice or from a move action to a standard action) as long for anyone elso to find anything that you have organized (or lacked to do)
If someone organizes your stuff, it takes you twice as long to find things, but still takes a move action (as normal) for anyone else.

Pegasos989
2006-09-13, 11:48 AM
How 'bout this then.
Disorganized
Effect: Anyone INCLUIDING you attempting to find an item in your gear takes twice as long to find it.
Special: If someone organizes your equipment, you take four times as long to find anything until you disorganize it again. (I can never find things after my room is cleaned...)

Severe enough to include a wizard trying to find a scroll from his belt or fighter drawing a weapon? If so, yes. If it is only getting something from your backback or something, too good. (I am trying to remember a single time I would have had to take something from there during combat...)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-13, 11:53 AM
Well, I was thinking more shuffling through your pack for something, not "where did I leave my sword?"

Pegasos989
2006-09-13, 12:15 PM
Well, I was thinking more shuffling through your pack for something, not "where did I leave my sword?"

Yeah. I kind of guessed that, which is the reason why I wanted to make sure.

The problem is that most of the time when actions matter you are in combat. Most of the time in combat you don't need to suffle through you pack for anything. Potions, scrolls, weapons, etc. are ready at your belt while backback has stuff such as bedroll etc. so I don't see this flaw affecting the game enough to be worth a feat.

batsofchaos
2006-09-13, 12:36 PM
I like the trait version better, where you can find your stuff, but others have an issue (reminds me of me). I would add a slightly better bonus, and make the drawback a little more harsh, though (mainly because I think someone having a hard time finding something in you stuff is as much a bonus as a penalty, it depends on who it is digging through your bag). For a more drastic drawback, I'd add in addition to these rules a situation where something gets misplaced in your clutter.

Example:

Dirsorganized
You have a unique way of organizing you belongings that is intuitive to you, but appears haphazard to others
Benefit: Finding an item takes one shorter action type for you if you are finding it from your stuff (usually from a move action to a swift action). If you instruct someone as to the location of the item, the action type is normal for them.
Drawback: If no instruction is given, it takes a full round action to locate anything specific. In addition, every time you search your bag for something very small, a d20 is rolled. On a roll of 1, the object doesn't seem to be there at all. The character can either search continuously for 1d4 rounds in order to find the item, or wait 1d6 rounds and try again.
Special: If the character can't find the item and has someone else look in the 1d4 rounds, they won't be able to find it at all unless they make a spot check DC 25. (it still takes a full round action)

I know I just made the rule more complicated, but if there hasn't been a thousand occasions where I haven't lost my keys for seemingly hours at a time...

EDIT for spelling

Fizban
2006-09-14, 12:04 AM
Just to clarify for people that don't know:

Retrieving an item within easy reach or in a lightly laden pack (as much as a realistic backpack can hold) is a move action.

Retrieving an item from a heavily laden pack (such as a bag of holding with 200 lbs of stuff in it) is a full round action.

Drawing a weapon is a move action, and can be done as part of a move if you have a BAB of +1 or higher, or as a free action with the quick draw feat.

Now, I'd say it's too weak to be a flaw in any case, but I'd make it a nice trait:

Shallow Pockets [Trait]
You may retrieve items within easy reach (such as hanging from a belt, or inside a belt pouch) and weapons as a free action. This does not count as the Quick Draw feat for meeting requirements.
However, it takes you a full round action to find something that would take most people a move action, and two full round actions when most would use one.