PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Statue monster

msully4321
2009-02-24, 11:29 PM
In a fit of originality, I've got my 6-person level 7 party searching for the long lost sword of the founder of their empire, Martin the Warrior (I'm a bad man.).
The sword generally acts like a +1 longsword, but when wielded by a heir of Martin, it is significantly more awesome. (None of the party is an heir of Martin; the sword is intended to be used as leverage during a succession crisis).

The actual location of the sword will be an extremely public statue of Martin wielding a sword. When they try to relieve the statue of the sword, it will become animated and attack them with it.

I'm not sure what sort of rules I should use for the animated statue . Any suggestions?

JeminiZero
2009-02-24, 11:35 PM
Well, the statue doesn't have to animate only when someone tries to take the sword.

It could have been active construct/undead before that, but with mundane or magical disguise so that it looks just like a normal statue. It was also given strict orders to keep absolutely still, until someone tries to take the sword, so up till now nobody has realized that it was in fact an construct/undead.

arguskos
2009-02-24, 11:44 PM
Use the rules for the Caryatid Column (from Fiend Folio). It's pretty much EXACTLY what you want. If you need it to be harder/easier, just add/subtract HD as needed. :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-02-24, 11:54 PM
You could have it be an awakened (via awaken construct) animated object with fighter levels. That would be awesome.

RTGoodman
2009-02-25, 12:06 AM
In a fit of originality, I've got my 6-person level 7 party searching for the long lost sword of the founder of their empire, Martin the Warrior (I'm a bad man.).

Yep, totally original there. Definitely not swiped from, say, a book series about a certain abbey. :smallwink:

But yeah, Caryatid Column is probably your best bet.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-25, 12:32 AM
(I'm a bad man.)Yes. Yes you are.

Have the Statue be a Warforged. With Warblade levels. That has meditated while holding the sword since time immaterial. And is really, REALLY annoyed that you disturbed him.

msully4321
2009-02-25, 12:47 AM
I've taken a look at Carytid Column, and it's very close to what I want.

Changes I'm making:
- Instead of being columns that become beautiful women, it's just a statue of Martin that becomes animated. Thus it doesn't have column form.
- The weapon doesn't turn to stone when separated from the statue; that would defeat the point!
- Give it 10 HD. This will give it 2 attacks per round, some more HP, and an extra feat.
- Swap out the +2 bastard sword for the Sword of Martin and a heavy shield. The Sword of Martin will probably be something like a +2 frost keen longsword when wielded by an heir (or the statue).
- Swap out Weapon Focus (bastard sword) for weapon focus (longsword), drop Improved Sunder (sundering is a whole lot worse after switching to a one-handed weapon), add Combat Reflexes, Improved Init (since the statue will probably get a surprise round, winning init would probably allow the statue to unleash 4 attacks on a single target (and there is a 60% chance at least one would crit))
- Increasing a construct's HD by 4 is supposed to increase the CR by 1, but I'm going to call it CR 8 to take into account things like the overpowered weapon.

Seem reasonable?

Thanks!

Broler
2009-02-25, 02:29 AM
Just use something simpler, like a well carved stone golem

arguskos
2009-02-25, 05:49 AM
I've taken a look at Carytid Column, and it's very close to what I want.

Changes I'm making:
- Instead of being columns that become beautiful women, it's just a statue of Martin that becomes animated. Thus it doesn't have column form.
- The weapon doesn't turn to stone when separated from the statue; that would defeat the point!
- Give it 10 HD. This will give it 2 attacks per round, some more HP, and an extra feat.
- Swap out the +2 bastard sword for the Sword of Martin and a heavy shield. The Sword of Martin will probably be something like a +2 frost keen longsword when wielded by an heir (or the statue).
- Swap out Weapon Focus (bastard sword) for weapon focus (longsword), drop Improved Sunder (sundering is a whole lot worse after switching to a one-handed weapon), add Combat Reflexes, Improved Init (since the statue will probably get a surprise round, winning init would probably allow the statue to unleash 4 attacks on a single target (and there is a 60% chance at least one would crit))
- Increasing a construct's HD by 4 is supposed to increase the CR by 1, but I'm going to call it CR 8 to take into account things like the overpowered weapon.

Seem reasonable?

Thanks!
Seems fine. Give it some DR and SR too, since your party out-numbers it 6-to-1. With all that, it should be quite difficult to beat, and quite a memorable encounter!

Starscream
2009-02-25, 06:17 AM
In a fit of originality, I've got my 6-person level 7 party searching for the long lost sword of the founder of their empire, Martin the Warrior (I'm a bad man.)

Don't worry, there is another thread right now that features "Baldrick the Cunning". New layers of Baator are being prepared as we speak.

AslanCross
2009-02-25, 06:55 AM
Just use something simpler, like a well carved stone golem

Stone Golem's way over their level.

msully4321
2009-02-25, 10:41 AM
Seems fine. Give it some DR and SR too, since your party out-numbers it 6-to-1. With all that, it should be quite difficult to beat, and quite a memorable encounter!

It's already got Hardness 8, but some SR might be a good idea. How much would be appropriate?

Also, objects take 1/2 damage from electricity and fire and 1/4 from cold: does this apply to constructs like the Carytid Column as well?

If I think the action advantage thing is going to be a big problem, throwing some stock Carytid Columns in as support for the statue of Martin might be a good idea.

Dyllan
2009-02-25, 11:22 AM
Does anyone in your party use a longsword and have ranks in Use Magic Device?

Because if they do, there's no reason they couldn't attempt to awaken the full powers of that sword by pretending to be an heir.

Just something you might want to consider...

msully4321
2009-02-25, 11:38 AM
Does anyone in your party use a longsword and have ranks in Use Magic Device?

I've got an Artificer and a Rogue, but neither of those have longsword proficiencies (fortunately). Of course, that could be fixed with a little bit of multiclassing... The rogue just asked permission to move all of his ranks *out* of UMD, which I'm allowing, so.... heh.