PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Joyful, joyful we adore thee...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-09, 06:45 PM
Now, your next challenge (if you're not too busy with the Contest): A creature that subsists on the positive emotions of others.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Elysium Orchid

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ncowling/images/sng07.jpg

Dimunitive Plant (extraplanar, good, swarm)
Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (52 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 dex, +4 size), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-
Attack: Swarm (2d6 holy)
Full Attack: Swarm (2d6 holy)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Balm of the soul, empathy, immunity to weapon damage, plant traits, shades of virtue, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6
Feats: Ability Focus (Balm of the Soul), Lightening Reflexes
Environment: Blessed Fields of Elysium
Organization: Swarm, Flora (3-6), Garden (7-12 swarms), Field (12-20 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral good
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Elysium orchids are a riot of color often found covering petitioners in small clumps whom have sat to relax for so long that they've become a favorite locale for the plant. They come in all shapes and colors that normal orchids do, except no material plane orchid could approach their vibrant shades and overhwelming vitality. When they wish to move on however, or are startled, they explode into perfumed cloud of petals that speed off on their own gusts of sweet warm breezes.

An elysium orchid drinks in the light of goodness as a normal plant would the sun, and roots in feelings of well being as a rich loam. Extended periods near misery or evil causes them to droop and eventually die like a plant shut up in a dark room. Thus they rarely are found outside their home plane, though occassionally seeds are given to exceptional visiters to the planes. These seeds only sprout in area filled with contentment and as such one can tell the mood of the household by the health of the plant.

Elysium orchids understand and obey basic commands given them by good-aligned folks, but can speak no language.

Combat
Elysium orchids detest negative emotion, especially that of hatred and pain. Thus they are wont to avoid combat unless another directly threatens a good-aligned being. Then, and only then, will the orchids swirl in to protect against evil.

An elysium orchid's natural attacks deal holy damage that affects those both evil and neutral aligned. Evil outsiders and undead take +2 points of damage per hit dice.

Balm of the Soul (Sp): An elysium orchid's scent causes feelings of intense well being that acts as a *Heart's Ease spell to all non-evil creatures within 20 feet. Evil-aligned creatures must succeed on a DC 18 fortitude save or become sickened. An evil aligned creature who leaves and then returns must make a new save. Creatures with the scent ability are affected at twice this range.
* This spell is found in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to the orchid's damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 16) negates the effect. Evil or neutral beings attempting spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of an elysium orchid requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Evil or neutral folks using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Good-aligned beings however are heartened by the soft caress of the petals, and while within the swarm increases their effective caster level by +1. Good spells are cast at +2.

Empathy (Su):
An elysium orchid can detect the surface emotions of any creature it can see within 100 feet. It can sense basic needs, drives, and emotions. Thirst, hunger, fear, fatigue, pain, rage, hatred, uncertainty, curiosity, friendliness, and many other kinds of sensations and moods can all be perceived.

Shades of Virtue (Su): An elysium orchid lives in a realm of moral twilight, viewing their surroundings by the light of one's heart. In Good-aligned planes an elysium orchid can see normally as if the plane were lit by an overhead sun, even in the deepest night. Evil-aligned planes however are an impenetrable darkness lit only by the rare flaring candles of decency. Neutral-aligned planes, such as the Material Plane are as an eternal dusk, neither light nor dark, though shaded and lit in great conflicting patches.

A good-aligned individual illuminates an area out to 60 feet as bright as daylight to an elysium orchid, while an evil individual emits darkness in a similiar area. Exalted and vile or tainted individuals brighten and darken an area twice that of normally aligned folk. If together they produce the dusk of neutrality, though exalted beings aura overpower evil, and vile folks blacken out that of the lesser good.

This light and shadow also illuminated the orchid itself, so that in the presence of an evil individual it fades from sight even to creatures with darkvision, requiring True Seeing to be seen.
If nearby a good individual it becomes a dazzling creature of scintilating colors.

Spell-like Abilities:
At will - *Ease Pain, Deep Slumber. Caster level 10th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

* This spell is found in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

martyboy74
2006-08-09, 07:14 PM
Does the shades of virtue part where the plant changes colors respond to the alignment of the plane? Also, how is the supposed to be killable by a party of 5th level adventures? Anyone who'd want to kill it could see it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-09, 07:40 PM
Does the shades of virtue part where the plant changes colors respond to the alignment of the plane?
Yup, so on evil-aligned planes its invisible.

Also, how is the supposed to be killable by a party of 5th level adventures? Anyone who'd want to kill it could see it.
I presume you meant anyone who'd want to kill it could not see it?

And there is always glitterdust and other invisible seeing spells to help you find it.

Also, neutral folks can see it and they might want to be rid of this annoying plant.

martyboy74
2006-08-09, 08:01 PM
True. What's it's look like in a mostly neutral area?

Winged One
2006-08-09, 08:16 PM
Nice one. What's the basic, non-rule-breaking description of Heart's Ease?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-10, 07:57 AM
True. What's it's look like in a mostly neutral area?
Normal, comparatively. Its invisible in evil and almost blindingly beautiful in good.

Nice one. What's the basic, non-rule-breaking description of Heart's Ease?
"Heart's Ease - Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Removes fear, despair, confusion, insanity and some mind-influencing effects; restores 2d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage."

Yet its only a 3rd level spell.

NullAshton
2006-08-10, 09:04 AM
Neat. Gotta have one of those next to me to sense any thieves, and just to look good.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-10, 10:14 PM
Neat. Gotta have one of those next to me to sense any thieves, and just to look good.
Now, now, thieves don't have to be evil. My favorite character of all time was a chaotic good thief.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 12:16 PM
That's rather awesome, and a lot less malicious than I was expecting.

Next challenge: a creature that is both scary during the day and the night, but looks different during both times and has different abilities.

martyboy74
2006-08-11, 12:20 PM

Next challenge: a creature that is both scary during the day and the night, but looks different during both times and has different abilities.
A were-wolf with class levels that it can't use during the night. Solved.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-11, 12:35 PM
A were-wolf with class levels that it can't use during the night. Solved.
Yes, but I'm sure VT can create something more frightening and less predictable (by the PCs).

NullAshton
2006-08-11, 12:37 PM
Now, now, thieves don't have to be evil. My favorite character of all time was a chaotic good thief.

Heh. But chaotic good thieves tend not to steal from other good people.(I think.)

Still be good to have around.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-11, 12:52 PM
Yes, but I'm sure VT can create something more frightening and less predictable (by the PCs).
I actually have a PrC that does just that. In the day you have the fire subtype and other abilities and at night you become an undead only to ressurect again in the morning.

However, I'm assuming you'd like a monster... so will get on it ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-12, 01:22 PM

*pants*

Here you go... (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11554029 53)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-13, 09:57 PM
And just went and redid a a bit of these guys. Should be all balanced now.