PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Binder and Ability Focus

koeldflare
2009-02-25, 06:03 AM
Just a quick question: can a Binder take Ability Focus to improve his Soul Binding, and the DC's of his Vestiges powers?

What I mean to ask is, can a Binder simply take Ability Focus (Soul Bind) to affect all his Vestige's save DC's, or does he have to take Ability Focus (insert name of Vestige power here)?

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-25, 06:42 AM
A +2 to everything would probably be a bit too powerful, so I'd say that you'd have to take Ability Focus (Name of Vestige) rather then taking the feat once for all of them.

Irreverent Fool
2009-02-25, 07:07 AM
Just a quick question: can a Binder take Ability Focus to improve his Soul Binding, and the DC's of his Vestiges powers?

What I mean to ask is, can a Binder simply take Ability Focus (Soul Bind) to affect all his Vestige's save DC's, or does he have to take Ability Focus (insert name of Vestige power here)?

Not by the RAW, no. The sample binder on page 16 of the Tome of Magic shows that Soul Binding is a Special Quality and not a Special Attack. Ability Focus specifically applies to one of a creature's Special Attacks.

However, any attack abilities a vestige might give a character are treated as Special Attacks. So if you're willing to spend the feat on improving a single Special Attack a particular vestige might grant (such as Focalor's breath), you can.

obnoxious
sig

Glyphic
2009-02-25, 10:06 AM
There is also 'Sudden ability focus' in the binder feats. Like ability focus, but once per day to any chosen Su ability.