PDA

View Full Version : Full Metal Alchemist Rpg?

Stark
2009-02-25, 09:44 AM
After hearing about the new anime coming out for this series, I started to wonder if anybody had ever found a well-done FMA rpg? Searching around the internet only yielded a d20 adaption that had very little work done on it

DrizztFan24
2009-02-25, 10:16 AM
I haven't heard anything about one; however, it wouldn't be immensly difficult to flesh out a class for it. It would have to be based on knowledge checks and impromptu spells with a few invocation style traditional spells. It would have to have a decent DM to play, but the idea is very tempting. Unfortunately I don't have the time to make anything concrete from my ideas as my term paper is due in two days.

Anyone else care to collaborate and help out Stark? (I'm assuming you are OK with a 3.5 class if you can't find a whole system) I can help with the critiquing, but I wouldn't be able to spend massive amounts of time dealing with abilities and such goodness.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-25, 12:08 PM
I am... working on an RPG which will handle this very well. It's not done yet, unfortunately, but in a month or so, I should have an alpha version to test with my gaming group to determine viability.

You won't be able to cheat like FMA himself, though, and Transmutation Circles are somewhat more difficult to produce. However, Glyphs are a relatively inexpensive and simple method of producing one-shot effects. For something you want to endure and use repeatedly, such as Mustang's gloves, you have Runes, which create the closest things to 'magic items' in the game.

kyoten
2009-02-25, 12:26 PM
Are you gonna put it up so that those whom are interested can check it out?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-02-25, 12:29 PM
I'd just stat it up in 4e myself (heresy, I know).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-25, 12:34 PM
Are you gonna put it up so that those whom are interested can check it out?

That is an interesting question with a potentially problematic legal issue.

If I post it to the internet, I won't be able to get it published, which is what I am really wanting to do (I figure if I cannot get Victorious Press interested in it, I can go talk to Steve Jackson about it next time I run into him).

I am not sure I can afford to leak out parts of the game without hurting myself from a legal perspective in regards to certain Copyright issues.

It was the real reason why I applied to VP in the first place, really. Sure, I love making stuff, so I would have really enjoyed working with them as a Designer, but they are likely more familiar than I am with the Copyright rules concerning posting content, and could have helped me get my game published.

Oslecamo
2009-02-25, 01:02 PM
You won't be able to cheat like FMA himself, though, and Transmutation Circles are somewhat more difficult to produce. However, Glyphs are a relatively inexpensive and simple method of producing one-shot effects. For something you want to endure and use repeatedly, such as Mustang's gloves, you have Runes, which create the closest things to 'magic items' in the game.

And that's pretty much why D&D 3.5 is the best system to represent FMA:smalltongue:

-Casters going in melee? Check.
-Long optimization time? Check
-Use magic alchemy or die? Check.
-Gear allows you to do anything? Check(phyolosophal stone)

Starbuck_II
2009-02-25, 01:13 PM
And that's pretty much why D&D 3.5 is the best system to represent FMA:smalltongue:

I found World of Warcraft RPG to be the best roleplaying book for this.
The Runecasters alone (after all most Alchemist people don't wear lots of armor/fight unarmed).

I had to invent an extra path or two, but it worked pretty well even at low levels.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-25, 01:30 PM

Yea, I've actually gone to a lot of trouble to build MAD (Multiple Attribute Dependency) into every class, and tried to make things as balanced as possible... shame on me.

overduegalaxy
2009-02-25, 01:47 PM
I'm actually playing a FMA-style alchemist in an upcoming Mutants & Masterminds game, and it worked out quite well.

I mean, the transmutation power is already built right into the system. With a little modifying (Range: Touch, Action: Full Round, and Duration: Permanent), you've effectively got any of the alchemists who require a transmutation circle. Keep the action at Standard, and you've got Ed. You can even tack on "Requires Knowledge (Physical Science) check" to represent the possibility of a transmutation fizzling.

For making more specialized alchemists, just pick up other powers as alternate powers of Transmutation. Edward doesn't need anything else to manipulate his automail, but Mustang might pick up Ignite, while Strong-Arm could use Boost: Strength or Adrenal Surge. And so on.

Learnedguy
2009-02-25, 02:10 PM
Mutant and Mastermind yeah.

Most characters should be really easy to stat out as well, as they usually are humans with some trick abilities.

The Mormegil
2009-02-25, 02:19 PM
I vote for M&M too... I think it would be perfect. Different Alchemies = Different Powers.

Xondoure
2009-02-25, 02:24 PM
isn't there the small problem that there wouldn't be enough classes, (or races for that matter). Imean you have alchemists, homunculi and that's pretty much it.

Innis Cabal
2009-02-25, 02:27 PM
Homunculi would be a monster, as would Chimera

And the differences would be in the Alchemy, either Western or Xing. Why would you need more then one race?

Lycan 01
2009-02-25, 02:30 PM
You know, I've always wondered about a FMA RPG... I figured if there wasn't one, and my friends were interested, I could just homebrew up a casual version of the game. (I'm prone to homebrewing random systems for casual play, with easy rules and lots of room to make tweaks. Granted I never finish a project... My last 2 projects were Monster Hunter and Left 4 Dead, which my Left 4 Dead stuff about 60% complete... But I digress.)

Now that I think about it, I'm sure I could homebrew up some Alchemy stuff for one of my RPGs. DnD would take awhile, since I'm not as fluent in its rules. Call of Cthulhu... I could just add an Alchemy skill. Come to think of it, I may do that, but with it only being available to characters with a high enough Education stat or Occult skill. Hmmm... My players are getting into Star Wars right now, though, so- Oh right, Force Adept. I could just whip up some Alchemy stuff, and surely an Alchemist of some sort would fall under that Prestige Class...

Wait...

WHAT NEW SERIES?!!? :smalleek:

Edit:

isn't there the small problem that there wouldn't be enough classes, (or races for that matter). Imean you have alchemists, homunculi and that's pretty much it.

Hm...

Possible classes/races:

-Commoner (Just a normal person)
-Soldier (Non-alchemy using member of the military)
-Alchemist (Casual alchemy user)
-State Alchemist (Dog of the state...)
-Rogue Alchemist (Former SA, criminal alchemist, mad scientist, et cetera)
-Human Transmuter (Can perform Human Alchemy/Prestige Class preferably)
-Ishbalan (Just a normal Ishbalan)
-Crusader (Ishbalan who uses 2nd stage alchemy/Scar's character type)
-Chimera (Product of alchemical experiments)
-Soul Armor (A suit of armor with a soul tethered to it/Al and the Slicer's character type)
-Hummunculi (Product of Human Alchemy/One of the Seven Deadly Sins)

What do you think? :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and here's an idea I just whipped up for Call of Cthulhu...

Characters with 20+ EDU are often professors. They've often done plenty of research, and often have a high Occult skill. So, to players with 20+ EDU and 50+ Occult, the Alchemy skill is available. It starts at 1%, and can only be increased via Personal Interest Points and experience.

1% - 25% skill in Alchemy allows for basic stuff like making healing salves.
26% - 50% allows for the creation of potions for healing, as well as powders and dusts, such as the Powder of Ibn-Gazi.
51% - 75% allows for Transmutation, though this allows certain instruments, incantations, and/or circles and runes.
76% to 90% in Alchemy allows the player to perform all of these things with less effort and preperation.
90% and higher allows Transmutation at will, and doubles the effects of potions, dusts, and salves.

Well, what do you guys think? :smallconfused:

Artanis
2009-02-25, 04:18 PM
I'd suggest looking at BESM. It's sorta like Mutants & Masterminds in that it's a "universal" system, but unlike M&M, BESM is purpose-built for handling anime.

Behold_the_Void
2009-02-25, 06:52 PM
I've got a homebrew-with-intent-of-marketing system out right now called Valor that is currently in beta testing, if you want to give that a shot. I actually have a level 5 Edward Elric ready for the playtest, I can share his statblock as well (it is a touch longer than usual since it's intended for a convention expo and the formatting doesn't quite work here.) The system is designed specifically for anime.

It can be downloaded free of charge here (http://professor.fireandrobot.com/valor-0800.doc).

Name: Edward Elric
Level: 5
Experience: 1,000/1,500
Primary Attributes:
Strength: 7
Agility: 9
Mind: 11
Spirit: 4
Guts: 6

Secondary Attributes:
Muscle: 6
Dexterity: 7
Intuition: 9
Aura: 5
Resolve: 6

Attack:
Physical: 24
Precision: 28
Magic (Alchemy): 32
Spiritual: 18

Hit Points: 170
Energy: 58
Defense: 31
Resistance: 25
Movement: 5

Flaws: 0

Skills:
1 SP

Active Skills:
Battle Analysis: Fast action, make an opposed Intuition roll against a target. If you succeed, select a single technique that you have observed that target using. The next time that technique is used against you, add 10 to your defense roll.
Ed studies an opponent's attacks so he can properly defend himself from them.

Effect Capture: Fast action, expend 5 Energy and make an opposed Intuition roll against any target within 10 spaces of your location. If you succeed, you gain control of one Attack Node, Portal, or Persistent Effect that they created.
Ed uses his own alchemy to take control of another alchemist's creations.

Effect Transfer: Fast action, Expend an amount of Energy to move any node, portal, or persistent effect a number of spaces equal to the amount of Energy you expended. The maximum distance you can move an effect in a single action is equal to your Aura. If the target effect was created by an enemy, you must succeed an opposed Intuition roll against the initiator of the effect to move it.
Ed uses his alchemy to move effects on the field at his whim.

Exploit Weakness: Fast action, Make an opposed Intuition check against a target. If you succeed, then at any one point during the battle, you or an ally can make an attack against the target at a +10 bonus to hit. If you have the Sneak Attack skill, then you may add the bonus damage to attacks made in this way. You cannot use this skill on the same target twice in one battle.
Ed studies an opponent's defense patterns, looking for holes he can exploit.

Feint: Fast action, make an opposed Dexterity or Intuition check against a target. If you succeed, you gain +2 to your next attack roll against the target and you may apply bonus damage from the Sneak Attack skill to your next attack against that target. This does not stack with anything else that allows you to add your Sneak Attack damage to an attack.
Ed cleverly feints, opening his opponent up to attack.

Jump: Fast action, expend 2 Energy, and you are then considered to be Flying until the start of your next turn.
Ed forms a pillar of earth in order to attack hard-to-reach foes.

Permanent Skills:
Ironskin lv. 1: +8 defense
Ed's auto-mail increases his defensive abilities.

Perceptive lv. 1: +1 Intuition
Ed's years of study have made him clever and intuitive.

Desperation: Defense rolls are made at +2 when HP is below 68.
As Ed takes damage, he becomes more desperate to avoid attacks that might otherwise drop him.

Support Skills:
Pattern Reader: Defending against attacks that do not inflict mental damage, you can still use your Intuition to defend. When substituting Intuition for Aura, reduce your Initiative count by 1. When substituting for Muscle or Dexterity, reduce your Initiative count by 2. If Initiative is reduced below 0, then you are denied your action for the turn, and next turn your Initiative is increased by an amount equal to the highest Initiative count of anyone in the battle. If you have already acted this turn, you cannot act again, even if your initiative count is reduced low enough to give you another attack.
Ed studies an attack and counters with alchemy.

Techs:
0 TP/8 max

Automail Blade, lv. 2 damage core
53 precision damage, 4 EN, opposed Dexterity roll (+7) to hit.
Ed transmutes a blade onto his automail arm and strikes swiftly at an enemy.
Transmute Spear, lv. 1 damage core, lv. 1 line, Initiative limit 1, opposed Dexterity roll (+7) to hit.
48 precision damage, line attack range 2, 2 EN, -1 initiative at the start of the next combat round when used, opposed Intuition roll (+9) to hit.
Ed transmutes a spear out of the earth and uses it to attack his enemies.
Earth Spikes, lv. 2 damage core, (2) Indirect Attack mod , level 1 Multiple Target mod, cooldown limit 1, valor limit 1
57 magic damage, range 10, can target 1 characters within range, 3 EN, requires 1 valor to use, cannot be used again for 1 turn, opposed Intuition roll (+9) to hit
Ed summons spikes from the earth and attacks multiple targets.
Earth Punch, lv. 3 damage core, level 1 Range mod, level 2 reposition mod, Valor limit 1
62 magic damage, range 3, on a successful opposed resolve roll (+6), can move target 2 spaces in any direction, 6 EN, requires 1 valor to use, opposed Intuition roll (+9) to hit.
Ed creates a mighty earthen fist and smashes his target.
Matter Restructure, lv. 5 weaken core, defense mod (free)
-10 defense to any target within 10 spaces, 4 EN, cannot be used until the first two combat rounds have passed, opposed resolve roll (+6) to hit.
Ed changes the composition of his enemy, making their defenses weaker
Transmute Cage, lv. 2 barrier core, level blast radius mod, level 1 range mod
Creates a barrier around 1 space anywhere within 3 spaces away. Each segment of the barrier has 50 HP and 4 Resistance and Defense, 6 EN
Ed creates a cage around a target
Cannon, lv. 3 damage core, lv. 2 line mod, Damage Shift (1), level 1 ammo limit
62 magic damage, line attack range 6, 4 EN, can only be used 3 times a battle, targets Defense instead of Resistance, opposed Intuition roll (+9) to hit, 1/2 damage (after defense) on a miss.
Ed creates a giant cannon and fires upon his targets.

Ultimate

Destructive Alchemy, lv. 7 Ultimate damage core, Overwhelming Strike (3, 2 levels free as per Ultimate Damage Core), Valor limit level 2, Initiative limit level 2, Injury Limit level 1
112 magic damage, target cannot use a support skill and must defend with Intuition, 10 EN, requires 2 valor to use, cannot use when Ed is above 136 HP, -2 at the start of the next combat round when used, opposed Intuition (+9) to hit.
Ed uses his alchemy to channel raw destructive force and obliterate his target.

Lycan 01
2009-02-25, 06:54 PM
Isn't putting something you intend to copyright/sell on the internet kinda... counter-productive? :smallconfused:

Behold_the_Void
2009-02-25, 07:27 PM
Isn't putting something you intend to copyright/sell on the internet kinda... counter-productive? :smallconfused:

Well it's obviously our property and copyright, and it's in beta right now so we need playtesters. It will eventually become available in completed PDF form, likely with access to some other stuff, for a small fee.

Xuincherguixe
2009-02-25, 07:50 PM
Oddly enough, I would think a modified version of Shadowrun might not be a bad way to go.

Just, I'm not sure how much.

Really, the Alchemists are all pretty much "mages". (I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Alchemy in that series is obviously the Qabbalah. )

The Xing might be Wujen, but... those are very close to mages already.

Automail is basically cyberlimbs.

I would consider getting rid of essence, and modifying the cyberlimb rules a bit mind you. Having big chunks of metal doesn't seem to impede them.

The rest of the rules generally fit pretty well.

Waspinator
2009-02-25, 09:10 PM
For D&D 3.5, you'd probably want to look at how the Artificer and/or Warlock work as inspiration for the Alchemist class.

Hida Reju
2009-02-26, 12:30 AM
We used psionics

Any power linked together use the "link power" from complete Psionic (only good thing to come out of that book)

Fabricate did most of the work for creating anything you need
Inertial Armor - A quick Transmute of the clothes your are wearing into armor?

Astral Construct for some things
Psionic repair damage
Oak Body/Iron Body Just say you transmute the stuff you wear or it could be a Chimera or homiculus power.
Claws of the beast + MetaPhysical Claw or Duodimensional Claw
Graft Weapon + Call Weaponry - This Ed did a lot

Trust me a Psion or Psi Warrior with the right idea does it all. Link to power list and feats (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Powers) if you need anything

krossbow
2009-02-26, 12:47 AM
Hmm. You'd definitely want to pay close attention to modifiers for material components, as thats a huge part of alchemy. The environment would be an insanely important part of the game, and as such environmental description and defensive/offensive bonuses based on it would be key.

For example, certain homoculi enemies such as wrath can become exponentially stronger in the right areas; a factory filled with guns to absorb and use as an example.

Stark
2009-02-26, 01:26 AM
Alot of good ideas, thanks guys. Just a couple of questions:

1. What is Mutants & Masterminds?

2. Offtopic, what does everyone have against Complete Psionic?

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-26, 01:40 AM
Alot of good ideas, thanks guys. Just a couple of questions:

1. What is Mutants & Masterminds?
An alternate rpg system(more info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutants_and_Masterminds)), specializing in superheroes.

2. Offtopic, what does everyone have against Complete Psionic?
Generally what I hear is a mixture of the following: bad flavor, alot of stuff that doesn't work, "fix" things that didn't need to be fixed, didn't fix things that did need to be. There is some positive noise about the soulbow and the Lurk, though.