PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) [Creature(barely)] Mildew of Eeeeevil (P.E.A.C.H.)

DracoDei
2009-02-25, 12:49 PM
EDIT: This is an old post and, as such, it is against the forum rules to respond to it. If you have comments, then please PM me, or start a new thread with a link in it to this one.

Something that has been bouncing around in my head for years probably (although originally it was airborne bacteria).

Fiend Fungus
Tiny Plant (Evil)
HD 1/8d8 (1 hp)
Speed 0 ft
Init: N/A
AC 5, Touch 5, Flat-Footed 5 (<Fills whole square so counts as medium for this purpose>, -5 Dex.)
BAB +0; Grp -999
Attack Nil
Full-Attack Nil
Space 5 ft.; Reach 0
Special Attacks Nil
Special Qualities Fungible, Unhelpful, Really Evil, Immune to Weapon Damage, Fire Resistance 10, Acid Resistance 10, Cold Resistance 10, Plant Traits
Saves Fort +0 Ref (Auto-fail) Will -3
Abilities Str -, Dex -, Con 10, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills Nil
Feats Iron WillB
Environment Any
Organization None worth mentioning
Challenge Rating 1/20
Treasure Nil
Alignment Always Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil (two seperate sub-species)
Advancement 1/8 HD per 5 foot square (which means 3/8 HD in the imaginary 5' cube in a corner with coverage on the floor and the 2 walls), no limit on maximum size or HD.

Combat:
You're kidding, right?

Fungible (Ex): Any amount of contiguous Fiend Fungus counts as a single creature for purposes of Fortitude and Will saves and Divination effects, however they are killed as individual squares.

Unhelpful (Ex): Fiend Fungi are naturally secretive, despite being mindless. Speak with Plants and similar spells and effects produces only "I'm not saying nothin'!" and similar statements unless a separate means of forcing cooperation is in place (which will be difficult being that since they are mindless plants they are immune to Enchantment). In any case, they are deaf and blind, even under the effects of such magic and have never seen or heard anything.

Really Evil (Ex): For the purposes of their Aura for Detect spells, Fiend Fungus counts as an Outsider, rather than a Plant.

History and Purpose:
Fiend Fungi were developed by the biomancers of the lower realms, it is unknown whether it was the Infernal or Abyssial legions that first invented them, but the other side quickly stole a sample and mutated it to its own ends (thus the existence of both Lawful and Chaotic varieties). The existence of a Neutral Evil variety is unconfirmed. They grow like regular fungi, except that non-magical light does not harm them, and they need very little moisture to survive. Their primary purpose is in providing a background level of alignment aura to prevent the effective use of Detect Evil/Chaos/Law since a patch large enough to cover all the surfaces of a whole lair has more than enough hit-dice to stun even Epic level casters, and even if the coverage is not that great, they will still render the first round or two of the spell effectively useless. The fiends freely shared them with their allies on the material plane, so many a liches tomb or dark chapel will be covered with this growth of evil.

Should I make it dependent on having a few spell levels of [Evil] spells cast on it per hundred HD once a week for its survival (not required on evil aligned planes)?

How about a Good variation that is an Ivy or something?

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 01:13 AM
Bumping for Feedback...

Bhu
2009-03-02, 01:31 AM
Does it have any form of offense?

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 04:27 AM
None what-so-ever... I am considering making it an injested poison, so it will also mess around with Detect Poison, and maybe even giving it traces of Fiendish injury poisons (but with no way to deliver them) so that even if you ID the poisons you can't be sure if you are detecting a creature or fungus on the other side of the door...

Ascension
2009-03-02, 04:49 AM
Isn't this basically just giving an entire lair an aura of overwhelming evil and fluffing it as an effect of the fungus? I mean, it's not a bad idea, but I don't see how it requires an actual stat block.

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 04:56 AM
It is late, so the following is likely less than utterly coherent:

I could have left most of the stat block out... but the the deeper the explaination, the better as far as gameplay go, there should always be a few more levels of information availible to the GM than the players (let alone the PCs) will ever find out about, keeps an internal logic going that can be sensed, even if it is never known. Also the resistances are important and dying as a square but counting as a whole for detect spells explains why the whole thing can't be done in with a single death effect or something, but still can count as a single creature to give the Overwhelming aura that stuns casters so they can't get more info.

But yeah, I COULD have done it as something less than a stat-block, and could have omitted a bunch of lines... but I didn't feel like it.

Terror_Incognito
2009-03-02, 05:43 AM
I like it. Both Crunchily & Fluffily. Also, I think if you're going to give it poison, make it a contact poison (If they touch it they get poisoned) as well as injested.

I would also be inclined to say that it should register as "Evil" equal to its HD minus 10 or something similar.

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 05:54 AM
Touch poison would affect the demons or devils too so that is no good... besides it doesn't NEED to do anything more than it does... provide a ECM like effect... by the same token I think that having it count as its full HD and as an outsider is perfectly reasonable for a purpose-engineered species.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-03-02, 04:41 PM
*thumbs up* I really like this idea...it's fluffy, crunchy, and all kinds of good...I mean...EEEEVIL!

actually, that gives me an idea...make it edible, but if you're good aligned, you get sickened for a little while, maybe an hour or two...otherwise you're fine...though it tastes sooo good...

Baron Corm
2009-03-02, 07:36 PM
Seems more like one of these (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#slimesMoldsAndFungi) than an actual creature. The difference would be that your fungi have a Charisma and a Wisdom score, and so can sense the world around them, but you say that they are blind and deaf and mindless anyway, so I'm not sure why you gave them these scores, other than to keep them as creatures.

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 08:00 PM
Yeah... could have done it that way... have already basically explained why I didn't... maybe I will just put the original in a spoiler in the first post and edit in a version like the one everyone seems to be suggesting above it... what do people think?

Baron Corm
2009-03-02, 08:12 PM
Well, I understand the need for a stat block, so that you know specifically how things will interact with it, but you can type that out for an object just as you can for a creature. It's really just up to you whether the thing is a creature or object, fluff-wise. You don't have to sacrifice anything.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-03-02, 08:15 PM
nah, I like how it eeevily takes up more room than it really needs to...besides, it shouldn't really be placed in with the rest of those types of nearly-inanimate-planty-things. It doesn't really fill the same role as them.

DracoDei
2009-03-02, 09:39 PM
CR about right? Should even HAVE a CR?