PDA

View Full Version : Merging AD&D and 3.5 Spells?

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-25, 02:51 PM
I notice in 3.5 alot of spells are different from whats learnable in 2nd ed (ala Baldur's Gate II) think its worth merging some of them? For example I can think of some good useages for the bouncing lightning bolt.

Narmoth
2009-02-25, 03:05 PM
make it as a normal lightning bolt, but one lvl higher?

Starbuck_II
2009-02-25, 04:18 PM
I notice in 3.5 alot of spells are different from whats learnable in 2nd ed (ala Baldur's Gate II) think its worth merging some of them? For example I can think of some good useages for the bouncing lightning bolt.

Some spells are stronger than 3.5 version: if so make a level higher in some cases.
Bouncing Lightning bolt for instance should be one level higher.

Spells that aren't in 3.5 entirely, leave them as same level, unless balance issues might arise.

Chromatic Orb: this one is iffy as it is too strong and too weak at same time.
Maybe better as a 2nd level spell. Put all special effects one level higher.
So the killing effect is level 13 not 12.
Keep DC penalty of -6 bonus.

Blindness: same level.

Friends is better than +Cha spell of Eagle's Splendor. We need to make Friends start low and scale up or scrap it.
Or just increase Diplomacy and Bluff skills through it.

Larloch's minor drain: Lower level to Cantrip. I'd make it a Fort save 1/2 though.
Otherwise use as written as a Level one spell.

Spook: Level 1, fear spell. Stronger than Cause Fear...
We could either up it one level or lower effects to Shaken for a couple rounds.
So it would last Dur 3 + 1rd/level.
The creature has a saving throw penalty of -1 (to save against this
spell) for every two experience levels of the caster, to a maximum of -
6 at 12th level.

So we get a uber Shaken spell. Not stronger than Cause Fear at Frightening a enemy.

2nd Level:
Horror is basically Scare. No difference except area.

Luck: +1 luck bonus to everything you roll (+5 to %'s). Hard to say whether it is worth it.

Vocalize: 3.5 Bard spell; I'm not sure if Wizards learn this now.

Level 3:
Ghost Armor: Greater Magic Armor is better for duration, but this provides +8 AC for 5 minutes (if we convert turn to minutes)...

Melf's Minute Missiles: I say keep same level. It does magic and fire damage though so not the best (though no SR)

Remove Magic: A Dispel magic that only works on opponents... hard to say.

Skull Trap: it was more powerful in 2nd than Fireball: should be a 4th levl spell.

4th level:
Spider Spawn: Depends on how you would rewrite it.
If it just provides the next Summon Monster Spiders faster than those spells then same level.
Like this:
So level 7: Choose 2 med Spiders or 1 Large Spider
Level 10: Choose 4 Med Spiders, 2 Large Spiders, or 1 Huge Spider.

If you change it so it provides Phase Spiders only: same level. Maybe 2 at level 10 (instead of that % mechanic).

5th level:
Conjure Elemental: You can already do this with 3.5 Summon Monster spells.

Level 6:
Protection from Magic should totally be ported. Maybe up level to 7tth level, but no issues with its mechanics.

Conjure Elemental: These provide better elementals than Summon Monster spells in 3.5.
I'd limit it to 40% of Huge elemental, 30% Greater, Elemental, and 30% Elder Elemental, but only if you keep the Control check as it is in Buldar's Gate.

Otherwise scrap it.

Level 7:
Sphere of Chaos is new different: Possibly same level.