PDA

View Full Version : New PRC: AMALGAMANCER (PEACH)

Darth Stabber
2009-02-25, 03:26 PM
Why go duel progression when you can get hexeprogression

AMALGAMANCER
In a world with so many paths to magical prowess it seems natural that there would be some who would waffle on which they would pursue. Some of these Fence sitters have found that they can do oaky with all of them.

Prerequisites
Ability to cast prepared 1st lvl arcane spells
Ability to cast 1st arcane spells without preparation
Ability to cast 1st lvl divine spells
Ability to manifest 1st lvl psionic powers
Meldshaper lvl of 1 or higher
Eldritch blast class feature
Concentration - 9 ranks

AMALGAMANCER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Magical Stuff

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Bonus Feat|+1 Existing Magical stuff

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||+1 Existing Magical stuff

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3||+1 Existing Magical stuff

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||+1 Existing Magical stuff

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||+2 Existing Magical stuff

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||+1 Existing Magical stuff

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||+1 Existing Magical stuff

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6||+1 Existing Magical stuff

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6||+1 Existing Magical stuff

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||+2 Existing Magical stuff[/table]

Hit die: d4
Skillpoints: 2 + Int modifier.
Class Skills: Concentrations, Craft(any), Knowledge(any), Psicraft, Spellcraft, UMD, and UPD.
Proficiencies: An Amalgamancer gains no additional proficiencies.

Class abilities

Bonus feat - You gain a bonus feat, you may choose
-any metamagic feat.
-any metapsionic feat
-any psionic feat
-any Item Creation feat
-any incarnum feat
-Ability Focus(any supernatural, or spell like ability)
-Skill Focus (any one skill on the Amalgamancer skill list)
-Magical Aptitude
-Open Minded
-thesis spell
-any divine feat
-vatic gaze

Existing Magical Stuff - amalgamancers realize that study of one form of magic can lead to understanding in another. When you study 6 forms, and advance in one can lead to breakthroughs in any of the others. When You gain an amalgamancer lvl you gain the following:
+1 lvl in your existing prepared arcane spell casting class(spellcasting progression only)
+1 lvl in your existing unprepared arcane spell casting class(spellcasting progression only)
+1 lvl in your existing divine spell casting class(spellcasting progression only)
+1 lvl in your existing psionic class(powers known, powerpoints and manifester level only)
+1 lvl in your existing Meldshaping class(Manifester lvl, essentia, soulmelds, chakra binds, and chakra's opened only)
+1 effective Warlock lvl for the purpose of determining eldritch blast damage, invocations known, and invocation types available.

At 5th and again at 10th level you get this benefit twice.

I know it's silly, that's the point

DracoDei
2009-02-25, 05:42 PM
Needs Psicraft as one of the class skills... and either drop UMD, or add UPD.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-26, 09:19 AM
Fixed.

I was thinking of giving them and ability to use the better of their Psicraft and Spellcraft for both, ditto that with UMD and UPD. When i GM i tend to take Magic/Psionic transperency to a higher lvl and combine those skills.. Should I give the guy Autohypnosis as well.

The Demented One
2009-02-26, 09:33 AM
As silly as it is, I think it could work-certainly not an optimized character, but maybe a fun one. I would give then a +2 progression at 3rd, 6th, and 9th as well, to keep their power more on par with their other party members.

Lyndworm
2009-02-26, 08:12 PM
I know of a homebrew class that operates very much like this one. The Trinity Theurge gives +1 Arcane, Divine, and Manifester at each level, in addition to the fusion of your familiar and psicrystal, the ability to burn PP for material components, the ability to burn PP/spell slots to cast metamagic/metapsionics, the ability to make touch attacks telekineticaly, and, as a capstone, can suppress all arcane/divine/psionic (only one) affects in a radius.

Yours is very good, but you forgot spontaneus divine casters, and maybe initiators, if you'd like to get everything.

Eikre
2009-04-07, 06:14 PM
Hmm. This, I think, is about the upper limit:

Start as a human with at least 14 INT. Your main casting stat will be WIS, and CON is a good secondary. Dump everything else to boost these three.

Your class progression is as such:

Beguiler 1/Warlock 1/Conjurer 1/Incarnate or Totemist 2/Ardent 1/Ur-Priest 1/Amalgamancer10/Cerebremancer 3.

Take Able Learner and Iron Will at first level, Spell Focus: Evil at third, and Practiced Manifester at 6th. With Able Learner, 14 INT, and human bonus skillpoints, you can make the requirements for Practiced Manifester, Ur-Priest, and Amalgamancer with just a few points early on and at the end to spare.

This build stresses Ur-Priest, of course, because you can easily get 9th level spells. We use Ardent for two very good reasons: One, is because it's wisdom based. The second is because Ardents choose powers based on manifester levels, not their actual levels in the class. By the time you get to Amalgamancer, you can pick out 3rd level powers.

Beguiler is there because it's an INT-based spontanious and meshes with the Conjurer, who of course drops Illusion, Enchantment, or Evocation and takes the variant from the PHBII that lets him teleport as an immediate action.

If your DM is very generous and you can get at least 16 INT, a single flaw, and perfect magic-psionics transparency, you should be an Illumian instead. They're Humanoid (Human), so they can use Able Learner. Make one of your luminous sigils Krau; it will function as a sort of mini-Practiced Spellcaster in all of your classes, giving you +2 CL in each one with the potential to be raised to +3 with a feat.

End results are Full Manifesting, Full Divine Spellcasting, 16 in one arcane class (Wizard, Beguiler, or Warlock), 14 in the meldshaper, and 13/13 in the other two arcane classes.

If you don't want to use Ur-Priest, though, your endgame isn't much worse for the wear: You get 13/13/13/13 in your divine, arcane, and meldshaping class, but 17 in one casting class; that's still enough to have a healthy serving of 9th level spells at level 20.

I don't think they need any help once they actually get in; they're actually rather powerful, certainly right up there with any other duel caster. The problem is as with any other, but magnified: the beginning of the game sucks and then you gain magnificent boosts later on, especially at levels 5 and 10.

I do recommend putting in a clause that you may only advance classes that you had before entering the class. If not, of course, there's room to use Ur-Priest to get in some of that other classic accelerated-casting class, Nar Demonbinder. In this case you have a full divine, full manifesting class with not one, but two arcane spellcasting classes with 8th level spells. Bwahahahah!

I now proclaim the optimization of this class finished.

pyrefiend
2009-04-07, 06:19 PM
I know of a homebrew class that operates very much like this one. The Trinity Theurge gives +1 Arcane, Divine, and Manifester at each level, in addition to the fusion of your familiar and psicrystal, the ability to burn PP for material components, the ability to burn PP/spell slots to cast metamagic/metapsionics, the ability to make touch attacks telekineticaly, and, as a capstone, can suppress all arcane/divine/psionic (only one) affects in a radius.
Whoa, that sounds awesome. Any chance I could get a link to that?

Fizban
2009-04-08, 03:55 AM
While some sort of Hexamancer would be nifty, the phrase "all of them" is pretty much incorrect.

It also needs separate requirements/progressions for spontaneous and prepared divine spells, shadow magic, binding, and truenaming.

So that's minimum 9 1 level dips to get in. Give em' 6+int skills, something like the Geomancer ability that lets them mix and match spellcasting abilities and restrictions, and "mad props" for surviving that long.

Eikre
2009-04-09, 05:07 AM
It also needs separate requirements/progressions for spontaneous and prepared divine spells

Thematically, I disagree. The difference between prepared and spontanious arcane casters comes up all the time in prestige entry, but I can't recall even one instance of a feat or class being built specifically to suit a prepared priest over a spontanious one.

It's not like he can't be the first one to do it, but the insinuation up until this point is that the difference between a Sorcerer and a Wizard is one of identity, but that the difference between a Favored Soul and a Cleric (or, hey, a Spontaneous Cleric and a Cleric) is just a quirk.

Not to mention that Clerics can already spontaneously cast Healing, Inflict or Domain spells, probably fulfilling the requirements on their own.

(That reminds me, though, that a sorcerer with Arcane Preparation also satisfies two requirements. Mix and match, mix and match!)

Fizban
2009-04-09, 06:27 AM
I suppose you have a point on the divine casting, I've just gotten attached to the difference in the Dragonlace setting: they made a big deal about magic from the gods vs. magic from within, at least in the fluff chapters.

I maintain my position on shadow magic and binding (no one really wants truenaming anywhere): if meldshaping is considered a magic for theurging then a system with actual spell has to be allowed as well, and binding is just as legit as meldshaping. Shadow magic uses some wacky rules and is supposed to come from a different power source, so it should be different enough to count thematically as well, in my opinion. Not that I actually like it (Tome of Magic is often considered the "nerf casting fix" similar to how Tome of Battle is the "buff fighters" fix), but it's an option.

Hmmm, did someone make a meldshaping/binding theurge somewhere around there? The idea sounds familiar.

Dante & Vergil
2009-07-28, 06:19 PM
N-N-N-Necromancy!!!!
I think this class could be really awsome if it had some of it's magics kind of mesh together and/or make it so you only need any 2 or 3 of the base magics and gain the others while taking this prestige class while advancing all of them. There only ideas of course.:smalltongue:
Also, here is the Trinity Theurge (http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/migdalia/Trinity-Theurge.html). (Some of the other prestige classes are worth a look as well.):smallwink:

Kellus
2009-07-28, 06:47 PM
But the real question is, can you use it in gestalt? :smallwink:

Dante & Vergil
2009-07-28, 11:33 PM
But the real question is, can you use it in gestalt? :smallwink:

Yes. In fact I can do it nine times!:smallbiggrin:

Darth Stabber
2010-06-25, 10:32 AM
Added invocation advancement to the warlock facet (just eldritch blast sucks)

I'm semi nervous about adding additional types of magicians to the mix, as they would increase the level at which you get into the class (Since most theurge classes require ~3 levels of each), and I really don't like the Idea of taking 9 different base classes and not improving anything till level 10. Though adding some modularity to the class could work. Like choose which 6 you are mashing together.

Binding - because it is awesome
Dragon Fire Adept - similar enough to warlock to be workable
Shadowcaster - not a fan, but completism
ToB classes - though given 1/2 bab and decidedly non-melee other base classes make this proposition seem even weaker than the concept already is.
Dragon Shaman - Barely magic, but incriment breath weapon and aura's
Artificer - Continued infusion and craft reserve actually fit very nicely for this guy

Could also drop the concentration requirement, as that is just a skill tax, because no one is going to take that mix of base classes without aiming for this.

If someone good at semantics could help me format a modular pick 6 system to replace the current automatic 6 system I would appreciate it.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-07, 09:03 PM
Okay I'm going to make a base class out of this. It is going to take a while, any advice anyone has would be appreciated.