PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Build Help

Asklepian
2009-02-25, 05:49 PM
Hi there folks.

In two weeks I'm going to be playing for one session in a friend of mine's campaign while I'm on vacation in the area. Unfortunately, 3.5 isn't my usual game, so I haven't got any solid grasp on how to build the character well. He's going to be a level 8 Duskblade using a greatsword as a weapon (it's something of a plot point). Any tips on what feats/spells to select would be most appreciated. The GM is a bit supplement-adverse, so figure I've only got access to the PHB and the PHB II.

Thanks.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-25, 05:57 PM
I'd highly recommend your friend to check out the Duskblade's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=837888). It is an excellent handbook, writen by a poster that has way too many handbooks under his belt. :smalltongue: The only thing is that it assumes you're using a reach weapon. But all the advice is still pretty applicable.

Hawk7915
2009-02-25, 06:41 PM
I'm playing a Duskblade in a casual campaign...here's the spells and feats I've found most useful/wish I'd taken:

Feats:
Power Attack - always a good decision for melee 2H-weapon users...especially brutal because you can Quick Cast True Strike and then full power attack once per day.

Combat Expertise - You have the int for it, and if cornered/if you are the only melee character, the extra defense can be a lifesaver.

Improved Trip - Better with reach/spiked chain, but still plenty good.

Improved Initiative - You are a good glass cannon so if you have feats to spare this is worth a look.

Arcane Strike (CW) - You don't qualify yet (3rd level spells are Duskblade 9 iirc) and it's in Complete Warrior, but it's so awesome! I've found my 2nd level spell slots are mostly used for 1 or 2 flys a day on my Duskblade, so being able to convert those 2nd level slots to +2 attack, +2d4 damage at will is excellent.

Spells:
1st:
Ray of Enfeeblement - So good it's almost cheesy.

True Strike - enables the aforementioned Quick Cast cheese.

Shocking Grasp - Your main "spammable" channeled attack: +5d6 electric damage is pretty powerful.

Resist Energy - makes my DM a sad panda every time I announce that me and the Barbarian are actually basically immune to <insert element that the monster of the week uses>...Resist 20/- is astonishing as a 1st level spell.

2nd:
Swift Flight - sometimes, you just need to fly, either to avoid AoO's, reach enemies flying away, move past annoying terrain features, or cover great distances swiftly.

Ghoul Touch - Take this if you have a ranged/caster heavy party: the paralyze rocks and the AoE sicken rocks more...risky if you have nothing but melee teammates though, since you'll probably sicken them too.

Touch of Idiocy - less great if others (Beguiler, Wizard) in the party can cast it, but it's basically a "win" button versus casters: simultaneously lock out casting and dramatically lower their will saves! Great in a melee-heavy party where enemy casters would normally wipe you all out: Swift Fly adjacent, channeled Touch of Idiocy ftw.

Hope that helps!

Olo Demonsbane
2009-02-25, 10:19 PM
Touch of Idiocy is one of my favorite spells: 1-Shot animals
Shocking Grasp will also add +3 to hit.

Blackfang108
2009-02-26, 10:06 AM
2nd:
Swift Flight - sometimes, you just need to fly, either to avoid AoO's, reach enemies flying away, move past annoying terrain features, or cover great distances swiftly.

Be careful with this one, because, by RAW, this only lasts one round. (Swift Action, 1 round duration for all "Swift X" Spells)

I second Ray of Enfeeblement and Shocking Grasp.

Shocking Grasp gets even better when you gain Full Channel, (although you're not likely to see that this session.), but it starts off as an awesome Channel.

Blackfang108
2009-02-26, 10:08 AM
Shocking Grasp will also add +3 to hit.

Why's that?

(If so, I've been hitting a bit more than I thought.)

MammonAzrael
2009-02-26, 12:55 PM
Why's that?

(If so, I've been hitting a bit more than I thought.)

Your successful melee touch attack deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 5d6). When delivering the jolt, you gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls if the opponent is wearing metal armor (or made out of metal, carrying a lot of metal, or the like).

Bolding mine.

JeenLeen
2009-02-26, 01:37 PM
The feat Battle Caster (Complete Mage or Complete Arcana) is nice since it lets you use an armor-type heavier than what you can normally wear without arcane failure. At high levels, that means full plate. You can also buy mithral armor, which would count as medium armor and thus not cause failure chance.

I found myself channeling damage or ability score damage that doesn't require saves (Enervation, Ray of Emfeeblement), so I didn't raise my Int beyond what I needed for the bonus spells I wanted. At lower levels, spells with saves might be worth it, but, for my campaign at least, I know they would usually fail so I didn't try for them.

An Animated Shield is handy for using a two-handed weapon. It's +1 or +2 costs and lets you dual-wield a sword while still getting shield bonus.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-26, 03:07 PM
Blades of Blood is not bad first lvl either, You can do it and Shocking Grasp and the same turn to deal like 8d6+weapon Damage, that makes things dead in a hurry.

Blackfang108
2009-02-26, 04:13 PM
I found myself channeling damage or ability score damage that doesn't require saves (Enervation, Ray of Emfeeblement),

You can't Channel Rays.

Channel says "a spell with a range of Touch," doesn't it?

AFB, so...