PDA

View Full Version : Houserule: Arcane Strike and Invocations

Zaq
2009-02-25, 08:43 PM
Now, as written, Arcane Strike doesn't work with invocations, only with spells. However, my GM has said that if I can come up with a reasonable way for the two to interact, he'll let me take Arcane Strike on my invocation-user. How would you have the two interact? Obviously, just getting Arcane Strike at will is far too powerful. On the flip side, having it shut down one of my invocations for the rest of the day would be useless. What would be a reasonable amount of time to have Arcane Strike "use up" an invocation? My first impulse was to say 1d4 rounds, like a breath weapon, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. Any thoughts on the matter?

Kyeudo
2009-02-25, 08:47 PM
Go with the very easy "for one encounter." Yes, it's kind of arbitrary, but it saves alot of tracking.

Everyman
2009-02-25, 11:02 PM
Go with the very easy "for one encounter." Yes, it's kind of arbitrary, but it saves alot of tracking.

I second this idea. It's simple, elegant and easy to keep track of. If you're hoping for a slightly more robust version, maybe something like "once per four invocations, per encounter". Still, Kyeudo's might be be easier for a DM to swallow.

-Tarkahn

Zaq
2009-02-27, 01:49 AM
That's a decent idea, but seems kind of underpowered, because you have, generally speaking, more spell slots than known invocations except at very low levels (for half-casters like Hexblades, anyway). Perhaps I'm simply looking at it wrong... does anyone else have anything to add?

Fax Celestis
2009-02-27, 11:01 AM
A "suppress until refreshed" mechanic might work. Use the above, but make the duration "encounter or until refreshed." Spend a full-round action in concentration to recover all expended invocations.