2006-08-06, 05:01 PM
Somnawyrm
Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (17 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flatfooted 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-8
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3-2 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3-2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 2 ˝ ft./0 ft. (5 ft. with coiled attack)
Special Attacks: Poison, coiled attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 3
Skills: Hide +12, Listen +3, Move Silently +6, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B), Ability Focus (Poison)
Environment: Temperate Grasslands
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Tiny), 6-8 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: –

Somnawyrms are lily-white scaled, snake-like magical beasts. Though not sentient, their potent venom puts those it bites into a state of false death, a deep coma. Somnawyrms use this poison to knock out small creatures, which it devours over a period of hours. When threatened by larger creatures, it will attempt to bite those it perceives as being the least threat, to prove its danger to the others, and then retreat.

Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 14. Initial damage–1d2 Con damage. Secondary damage–fall into deathlike coma for 1d3 hours. Only a DC 20 Heal check or a deathwatch spell can distinguish from a creature put in a coma by a Somnawyrm’s venom and a dead creature.

Coiled Attack (Ex)
As a standard action, a Somnawyrm may coil itself into a tight, spring-like shape. It may not move while coiled. On the next attack it makes after coiling, it springs forward, giving its attack a reach of 5 ft., rather than 0 ft.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-03, 11:59 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 04:47 PM
Good. A nice CR1 critter, with an interesting tie-in for plot development (use of its poison for Romeo and Juliet-inspired plots). Well balanced and well described. Nice job.

MitP Vote: Yes

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-12, 09:00 PM
"Oh, hi there, little buddy," Urthar whispered softly to the small snake, apparently disturbed by his tripping over a protruding stalagmite. "What's a cute little guy like you doing way down here?"
A halfling's voice spoke from what could have been a shadow "Have you any idea what that creature is, half-orc? For all we know about this godforsaken cavern it could be a wizard in diguise. Best not to take the chance."
"No! Among my people, snakes are a symbol of good luck, to kill such a small, defenseless one would doubtless curse us all." He stopped petting the creature and placed it on his shoulder, where it settled comfortably into a coil.
Silas scoffed "If you want to trust an albino snake in the middle of an underground passage we know nothing about, then be it on your own head; just keep it away from me." Then he conceded "Though Mialee's reaction to it should be interesting..."Suddenly an arrow whizzed past the halfling's head from behind, opening a tiny cut in his left ear. "Duck and cover!" A horizontal rain of arrow followed shortly afterwards, barely giving enough time for the two adventurers to duck behind a much larger stalagmite before they became pincussions.
Urthar started "Ouch! Hey!"
"What is it? Did an arrow hit you?" Silas turned to face his friend. Urthar's eyes looked bleary and unfocused, and a tiny wound was bleeding in his jugular, almost as if he'd...
A flash of white sprang suddenly off further down the tunnel, quickly escaping from the two combatants. Silas' eyes widened in realization "Spawn of Hecate!" With his usual alicrity, he drew his dagger and even from a good forty feet away, heard a satisfying thunk as it stuck in the creature's skull. A quick check of heartbeat, though, showed that there was no saving Urthar, and without alot of luck, himself either.

Wow. Inspiration like a lightning bolt. Whattaya think, D1?

The Demented One
2006-09-12, 09:25 PM
I like it, I like it. Exactly how it should be used.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-12, 09:42 PM
Sweet. Now if I could get something like that for the legacy items which I have writer's block for, we'd be in good shape, hm?

Oh and maybe the coiled attack can be used to add an extra five feet to its speed on its following turn, or use it as a spring attack. Just giving it reach seems rather bland.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-13, 01:50 PM
It could make an interesting Improved Familiar. Knockout venom, and (significantly) an ability to deliver melee attacks without provoking an AoO.