PDA

View Full Version : Touching six friends... [3.5]

Enguhl
2009-02-26, 05:28 AM
The players handbook states on page 141 that you can hold a charge from a touch spell indefinitely, making touch attacks round after round. It also states that you can touch one friend as a standard action, or 6 friends as a full-round action.
However, it then says that if you touch anyone or anything while holding the charge, the spell discharges.
So how would you make touch attacks round after round (or touch 6 people) with a spell if the spell is discharged the first time you touch someone/thing. Can anyone clear this up?

Douglas
2009-02-26, 06:35 AM
There are some touch range spells that target multiple creatures. For example, Teleport. The ability to touch multiple people as a full round action only matters for these spells.

Urthdigger
2009-02-26, 10:51 AM
Most touch spells only let you do it once. Some have multiple charges. Also, there's a difference between "Making a touch attack" and "touching an opponent". Namely whether you miss or not.

Also, given how Teleport is worded, it's perfectly reasonable to assume all the other party members join hands, and then you join the link and teleport them.

Fishy
2009-02-26, 11:01 AM
Six fingers. Obviously.

RebelRogue
2009-02-26, 11:36 AM
The players handbook states on page 141 that you can hold a charge from a touch spell indefinitely, making touch attacks round after round.
That's not really what it says. If you make a touch attack, you discharge the spell. It's not going to linger until you hit!

Bugbeartrap
2009-02-26, 12:01 PM
That's not really what it says. If you make a touch attack, you discharge the spell. It's not going to linger until you hit!

It has always been my belief that if you miss on your touch attack, you still have the spell stored in your hand. I don't have time to look up if it discharges on a miss, but that is what I interpretted the paragraph that the OP is quoting to have meant.

Toliudar
2009-02-26, 12:04 PM
I agree with bugbeartrap. From the SRD:

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

I would certainly interpret that to mean that an unsuccessful touch attack does not discharge the spell.

Lochar
2009-02-26, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't penalize them more than what they already are.

A warrior of some type sees a mage or other type of caster enter melee range and attempts to touch him. Miss? He's going to attempt to lop that hand OFF.

Xenogears
2009-02-26, 12:08 PM
I agree with bugbeartrap. From the SRD:

I would certainly interpret that to mean that an unsuccessful touch attack does not discharge the spell.

The last line of your quote word for word says "If the attack misses you are still holding the charge" How can that not be the part you bolded?

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-02-26, 12:13 PM
The last line of your quote word for word says "If the attack misses you are still holding the charge" How can that not be the part you bolded?

Well to be fair that section is referring specifically to making unarmed attacks AFTER failing your melee touch and failing to discharge the spell. So that's not technically what we're talking about (although it does refer to it).

edit: You know, sort of off topic, I remember when we first tried the Healer we realized that the Healer can use Cure spells on the Unicorn companion from 5 feet away by casting them on himself and extending them to the Unicorn. The player who was playing the healer really enjoyed this and repeatedly did this even when there was no reason he couldn't touch the Unicorn directly. He described it as "I walk within 5 feet of my Unicorn and touch myself."

-JM

Enguhl
2009-02-26, 07:08 PM
Darn, I was hoping for some circle of CLW action. Thanks everyone

Also...

Six fingers. Obviously.
You killed my father, prepare to die.

monty
2009-02-26, 11:01 PM
You killed my father, prepare to die.

Someday, I'm going to play a character based on Inigo Montoya. Just need the right build, and the right campaign...

bobspldbckwrds
2009-02-26, 11:05 PM
this gave me an idea for a wand monk who uses teleport and falling damage...

hehehe...

Fishy
2009-02-27, 03:25 AM
Someday, I'm going to play a character based on Inigo Montoya. Just need the right build, and the right campaign...

4E is great because Inigo Montoya is just a Fighter. You really don't have to do any work at all.

In 3.5, he's some sort of Swashbuckler/Warblade, probably.

kpenguin
2009-02-27, 03:32 AM
4E is great because Inigo Montoya is just a Fighter. You really don't have to do any work at all.

In 3.5, he's some sort of Swashbuckler/Warblade, probably.

Really? I don't know much about 4E, but I cannot, for the life of me, see Inigo Montoya as a Defender.

RebelRogue
2009-02-27, 06:37 AM
I agree with bugbeartrap. From the SRD
Damn it. I'm pretty sure my PHB uses a different formulation.