PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] can someone help me build a sorcerer?

Kwinza
2009-02-26, 05:52 AM
hey guys, can some help me build a really powerfull sorcerer, by powerfull i mean high dmg out put as my party needs a dmg dealer and i want to try a mage type.
if you could list a lvl by lvl spec that would be great.
my rolls are: 18,16,16,14,13,11

thanks everyone :)

lvl 1 fighter
2009-02-26, 05:58 AM
What level are you starting at and what's the highest level you expect to reach in the game? Also, which books are allowed?

Kwinza
2009-02-26, 06:06 AM
all of them and lvl 1 - 20

cheers

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-26, 06:15 AM
http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-SorcererWizard.pdf contains some Conjuration spells which are good for blasting due to how they ignore SR (Arc of Lightning, Blast of Flame and Mestil's Acid Breath as well as the Orb spells are good for this). You won't need that many blasty spells after a while due to how using Empower could be a better idea then taking higher level spells (you'd be better off taking a higher variety of spells in order to maximize your versatility). I know they may not be great for damage output, but battlefield control spells like Freezing Fog, Slow and Black Tentacles will be useful to the rest of the party, as can being able to fly in order to stay out of trouble. Wind Wall is seen as a good defensive spell vs. archers as well.

Neithan
2009-02-26, 06:21 AM
Arraging these scores is pretty easy: 18 goes in Charisma and 16 in Dexteriy.
You could make quite a nice multiclass character with these, but if you just want to stay spellcaster, put the other 16 and the 14 in Constitution and Intelligence, as you like.
I would put 13 in Wisdom and 11 in Strength.
Making it: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 18.

Then I would pick a role for your sorcerer. For example you could chose to be magical artillery (lot's of fireballs and direct damage), battlefield control (walls, Hold spells, ...), mind control (charm your enemies), intelligence (lots of divinations), or party support (lots of buffs).

As you can't switch your spells known every day depending on the circumstances you expect in the future, you have to plan ahead. I wouldn't try to make an allrounder that can take up with everything alone, but pick one focus for your spells, that fits well with the abilities of your other party members. You don't have to kill monsters yourself. You can also assist your other party members, so that they become much more powerful warriors than they would normally be. You don't get as many kills, but the overall strength of your party can greatly improve that way.

If you use buffs to make other party members stronger, take Extend Spell early on. It makes all your spells last for twice as long.

Telonius
2009-02-26, 09:22 AM
Kobolds do it better. :smallwink: Here's a variant of a nasty little build I posted in the Character Builder thread ...

Venerable Kobold with Loredrake (Dragonwrought don't incur aging penalties).
Total ability modifiers: -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +3 Int, +3 Wis, +3 Cha

Str 14-> 10
Dex 16-> 18
Con 13-> 11
Int 11-> 14
Wis 16->19
Cha 18->21

(I absolutely hate encumbrance penalties, so feel free to swap out the 14 STR with some other ability score).

Sorcerer1 - Dragonwrought
Sorc2
Sorc3 - Draconic Reservoir
Sorc4 - +1 Cha
Sorc4/Cleric1
Sorc4/Clr2 - Empower Spell, Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
Sorc4/Cl3
Sorc5/Clr3 - +1 Cha
Sorc6/Clr3 - Energy Substitution
Sorc7/Clr3
Sorc7/Clr3/MT1
Sorc7/Clr3/MT2 - Quicken Spell, +1 Cha
Sorc7/Clr3/MT3
Sorc7/Clr3/MT4
Sorc7/Clr3/MT5 - Reach Spell
Sorc7/Clr3/MT6 - +1 Con
Sorc7/Clr3/MT7
Sorc7/Clr3/MT8 - Split Ray
Sorc7/Clr3/MT9
Sorc7/Clr3/MT10 - +1 Wis

Loredrake gets you +2 Sorcerer level, and Greater Rite of Passage gets you an additional +1. The upshot is that you'll get your max number of (pre-epic) Sorcerer spells known by 17th level.

This means that - Shock! Horror! - Mystic Theurge is actually viable. At 20th level, you'll have lost nothing and gained 13 levels worth of Cleric spells.

Pick a deity with the Spell domain. This gives you access to the Anyspell and Greater Anyspell. Pay a Wizard to write all of his Batman spells (level 5 and under) into a spellbook, and you should be good to go.

Alternate method: Switch out the Cleric levels for Archivist levels.

There are probably even cheesier possibilities with the basic idea, but this should give you as much power and versatility as you need.