PDA

View Full Version : LA +0 With Spell Resistance

appending_doom
2009-02-26, 09:38 AM
Is this possible? Are there currently any races in WotC sourcebooks that have spell resistance and no LA adjustment?

Or does spell resistance just innately bump up LA by its nature?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-02-26, 10:12 AM
The only way I know of is to become a Necropolitan from Libris Mortis, and get Spellstitched from Complete Arcane. You only get 10 + Cha mod SR, but it's there for +0 LA.

Darrin
2009-02-26, 10:28 AM
Is this possible? Are there currently any races in WotC sourcebooks that have spell resistance and no LA adjustment?

Or does spell resistance just innately bump up LA by its nature?

Kinda, yeah.

If you have to have SR at 1st level, you can pick it up with a Spellward Shirt soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum), either by starting with a level of Incarnate or the Shape Soulmeld feat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-26, 10:31 AM
SR is as much of a Nerf as it is a benefit, though. It blocks beneficial buff spells, don't forget.

Smeggedoff
2009-02-26, 11:02 AM
The only way I know of is to become a Necropolitan from Libris Mortis, and get Spellstitched from Complete Arcane. You only get 10 + Cha mod SR, but it's there for +0 LA.

while necropolitan has no LA, you still lose a level and 1000 XP for taking the template, and if you try to take it at character creation your character turns to dust and can't be raised, soooo...yeah
I don't get why people think it's so awesome to be honest

magic9mushroom
2009-02-26, 11:08 AM
while necropolitan has no LA, you still lose a level and 1000 XP for taking the template, and if you try to take it at character creation your character turns to dust and can't be raised, soooo...yeah
I don't get why people think it's so awesome to be honest

Because you catch up due to getting more XP and needing less. LA puts you behind permanently.

Dyllan
2009-02-26, 11:08 AM
SR is as much of a Nerf as it is a benefit, though. It blocks beneficial buff spells, don't forget.

Not necessarily. From the SRD:

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature’s next turn. At the beginning of the creature’s next turn, the creature’s spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

Smeggedoff
2009-02-26, 11:11 AM
Because you catch up due to getting more XP and needing less. LA puts you behind permanently.

hmm, I guess. Provided your DM assigns XP individually and not just a lump sum everyone in the party gets

Dyllan
2009-02-26, 11:32 AM
hmm, I guess. Provided your DM assigns XP individually and not just a lump sum everyone in the party gets

Well, considering that the experience system is based on giving experience to each participant based on their own character level, I'd expect that most DMs do give it out individually. I know I do.

On a side note, do Necropolitans come in three flavors? Vanilla, strawberry and undeath?

Person_Man
2009-02-26, 11:49 AM
From the lists of stuff (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842), here are things that offer Spell Resistance, many of which require no LA:

Spell Resistance
Monk
Tattoed Monk 7, ecl 12, Complete Warrior, SR = 15+class
Enlightened Fist 9, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, SR = 10 + monk + class
Contemplative 7, ecl 17, Complete Divine, SR = 15 + class
Ur-priest 4, ecl 9, Complete Divine, SR = 15 against divine spells and SLA of outsiders, SR = 20 at level 8
Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 7, ecl 12, Draconomicon, SR=15+class level
Spellward Shirt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Defiant 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook, 15+class level, against divine mind affecting spells only, against all divine spells at level 10
Defiant 6, ecl 11, Planar Handbook, bestow SR on target, see text
Warrior of Darkness 8, ecl 13, Book of Vile Darkness, SR 20 (does not improve)
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl 16, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20 (does not improve)
Karsite, race, Tome of Magic, LA +2, SR= 10+class
Bauriar, race, Planar Handbook, LA +1, SR= 10+class
Daazzix's Vest, wondrous item, DMG2, +5 to SR
Boost Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Vile Darkness, +2 to SR (profane)
Gray Hand Enforcer 4, ecl 11, FR: Waterdeep - City of Splendors, SR = 5 + character level
Court Herald 12, ecl 19, Power of Faerun, SR = character level
Mythic Examplar (Ktolemagne) 8, ecl 12, Complete Champion, SR = 10 + arcane caster level
Exalted Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, +4 (untyped) to SR vs spells and SLA of evil outsiders
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20
Swanmay 1, ecl 6, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR = 12 + Swanmay levels
Silver Key 5, ecl 8, Dragonmarked, "Sly Soul"
Psychic Refusal, feat, Drow of the Underdark, +4 to SR vs mind-affecting

Special Mention
Spellthief 15 - steal opponent's SR
Undo Resistance, feat, Fiendish Codex II, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Eldritch Erotion - feat, Complete Scoundrel, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Slayer 8, ecl 12, Expanded Psionics Handbook, each attack lowers power resistance by 1, see text
Demonwreaker 1, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, bonus to overcome SR, automatically beat SR at level 5
Reactive Resistance, feat, Drow of the Underdark, lower SR as an immediate action
Sanctified Mind 6, Lords of Madness, Power Resistance 5 + HD

Also remember that if your DM is using transparency rules, Power Resistance counts as Spell Resistance (and vice verses).

However, you should note that the vast majority of SR only provides 20%ish protection from magic. You can boost this into the 50%ish range with a Daazzix's Vest and the Boost Spell Resistance feat, but even then 20%ish of magic ignores SR entirely (though obviously, the numbers on all of these vary drastically based on the levels of the enemies your DM throws at you, and their spell selection).

Having said that, I'm fond of builds like Paladin 4/Sanctified Mind 1/War Mind 5/Sanctified Mind 2-6, for full BAB, good Saves, Power Resistance 20, the equivalent of 15th level Psychic Warrior powers, Sweeping Strike, Turn Undead, and other nifty abilities. Take Serenity and Intuitive Strike, and you're set.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-26, 12:01 PM
Not necessarily.It blocks them during combat, which is when it matters. It also blocks healing spells when you're in the negatives. You don't want someone having to roll dice just to hit you with Haste, because they'll quickly decide that there are better things to do with their actions, leaving you high and dry.

Blackfang108
2009-02-26, 12:06 PM

You can voluntarily lower your SR, however.

(Standard Action, I think. Makes it useless in combat, but, hey.)

Starbuck_II
2009-02-26, 12:13 PM
It blocks them during combat, which is when it matters. It also blocks healing spells when you're in the negatives. You don't want someone having to roll dice just to hit you with Haste, because they'll quickly decide that there are better things to do with their actions, leaving you high and dry.

It only blocks others useage ofspells:
It never blocks your own buffs, magic item, etc.
This is why certain Golems can cast haste on themselves even though Haste has SR.

So buy a Belt of Healing; only 750 gp. Sure, others have to stablize you manually if you start bleeding out, but it is only DC 15.