PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me make a Eberron Monk

Rowan Arquest
2009-02-26, 10:12 AM
K, I am currently in a PbP game on the forum, and I am playing as a human Monk dedicated to Dol Dorn. The game just started, he is level 2 and I can take Monastic Training next level. The question is, what class do I pick to make a fun, but NOT overpowered character. I have never done a monk before and I want to have a good first experience. PHBII is banned. Complete series is open, but I dont have the books, Expanded Psionics is all clear, but I currently don't have a power point reserve and if I want to take Monastic Training, I cant get Wild Talent until level 6, but Soulknife does solve that problem, since Wild Talent is a class ability at first level. Eberron is of course safe to use as well

now to the ability scores:

STR 16
DEX 15
CON 12
INT 11 :smallfrown:
WIS 14
CHA 12

...the board roller was being really mean to everyone in the thread. So if anyone has some good ideas, I would love to hear them.

PinkysBrain
2009-02-26, 11:44 AM
Monastic training is a waste of a feat ... just get all the monk levels you want and say goodbye to the monk class.

Soulknife is a bad class and a worse dip class ... not to mention that even if you ignore that the mind blade is a bad weapon it's certainly not a monk weapon!

You could simply go Monk 6/Psionic Fist X (Fist of Zuoken in the XPH). If you ever make it to 16 you wouldn't even need monastic training to get back into monk either, it allows free multiclassing with the monk class.

Draz74
2009-02-26, 11:50 AM
Monk 6/Psionic Fist X (Fist of Zuoken in the XPH).

I support this. It's one of the better Monk builds (and trust me, you're not in any danger of becoming overpowered), and psionic powers are fun too. If you do this, though, I'd switch your highest ability score into Wisdom if possible.

Fishy
2009-02-26, 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, what were your first two Monk Bonus Feats?

Monastic Training is pretty much a trap, especially for a human. The Monk class starts running out of class features after the free feat at level 6, at best. If you're a human and you don't have to worry about multiclassing penalties, you can take all the Monk you're ever going to take in one go, then leave the class and never look back. Pick up a PrC that advances Monk abilities if you really want.

In SRD, you can certainly do worse than Monk 4 / Psychic Warrior 2 -> Psionic Fist. Take the Expansion power, because monks love size increases, and a reach weapon, because monks can threaten a large area while still delivering kicks and elbows up close. (Armor spikes are silly) The PsyWar power list also has a number of options for adding natural attacks (which Monks can use as part of a flurry with interesting benefits) and powering up your Grapple, which you can get for free and without a Dex requirement at Monk 1.

I'd list my other favorite things to do with 2 monk levels, but you don't have the stats for them, so nevermind.

Telonius
2009-02-26, 12:24 PM
You will probably find many people on the boards who will tell you that Monks are one of the least powerful classes in the game. If Tome of Battle is allowed, levels in Unarmed Swordsage are generally superior to levels in Monk.

If you're stuck without ToB, and are still dead-set on playing a Monk, then the Sacred Fist Prestige Class (from Complete Divine) might interest you.

Human Monk

The basic plan is Monk1-6, Cleric 1, Sacred Fist 1-10, Cleric 2-4.
Monk1 - Extend Spell, Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
Monk2 - Combat Reflexes
Monk3 - Extra Turning
Monk6 - Persistent Spell, Improved Trip
Monk6/Clr1/SF2 - Extra Turning
Monk6/Clr1/SF5 - Divine Metamagic
Monk6/Clr1/SF8 - Weakening Touch
Monk6/Clr2/SF10 - Improved Natural Attack

This will give you Persisted low-level self-buff spells starting at level 9, and Persisted Divine Power starting at level 14.

Note that to do this, you'd need to switch your abilities around to meet that INT 13 requirement of Combat Casting. Here's what I'd suggest:

STR 15
DEX 12
CON 11
INT 14
WIS 16
CHA 12

Bump CON at 4th, STR at 8th, and WIS thereafter.

Alternate: Play a Middle-Aged character
STR 15 ->14
DEX 14 ->13
CON 11 ->10
INT 12 ->13
WIS 16 ->17
CHA 12 ->13
Bump WIS at 4th, INT at 8th, DEX at 12th, CHA at 16th, whatever at 20th.

Hope this helps!

Rowan Arquest
2009-02-26, 12:26 PM
so, I should take wild talent at next level to go into psionics, and I might be able to switch the scores. the game has started but I might have a chance to change it if i ask the gm real nicely.