PDA

View Full Version : How hard is this riddle?

Harperfan7
2009-02-26, 01:47 PM
On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, how hard would you rate this riddle?
I'm going to wait for somebody to solve it before I say what the answer is.

It's on a door, and the answer has to be spoken aloud for the door to open.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that it classifies as a riddle, but here it is anyway.

"Threats hang over sisters ever with intention to harm whilst internal turmoil deepens inside secret ceremonies every runner needs to rule under the high imperial negotiator commonly omitted moments prior lessening entire xenophobically illuminated terrestrial yestermen."

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 01:48 PM
I have wit!

"Those with wit discern truth in complexity."

If you realize it's utterly meaningless, then it rates a 1. If not, a 10.

And no, it's not a riddle.

Harperfan7
2009-02-26, 01:54 PM
Alright then, I was just making sure it wasn't too hard.

I'll give my players 1 minute to solve it!

Thanks.

Adumbration
2009-02-26, 01:54 PM
Here was my thought progression when I saw it.

"A riddle, eh. Let's have a look."
"Isn't actually a riddle? Interesting."
"That sentence makes no sense, riddles are usually at least a bit to the point."
"Do the initials make any sense?Yes. Yes they do."

I agree with Afroakuma's assession. It might take a long time if no one gets it, and I mostly got it becouse I knew it wasn't a real riddle.

Harperfan7
2009-02-26, 01:56 PM
My players aren't going to hear the word riddle, so it's a 1 then?

Limos
2009-02-26, 02:03 PM
That riddle is utter nonsense. I don't even see a question in there. Toss it out and start over. I would never be able to answer that because unless you had told me it was a riddle I would assume it was very bad poetry.

DracoDei
2009-02-26, 02:29 PM
I like it... if something is that weird, players should be wondering if it is is a riddle in any case... 1 minute seems too short a time limit though for most groups.

Harperfan7
2009-02-26, 02:41 PM
The 1 minute thing was a joke. Akrofuma responded with the correct answer 1 minute after I posted the thread.

Baron Corm
2009-02-26, 03:30 PM
On the computer here, it was easy enough to go through the words. If you're using a verbal medium, it would be more challenging, but also more fun, and still doable.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 05:35 PM
The 1 minute thing was a joke. Akrofuma responded with the correct answer 1 minute after I posted the thread.

Akrofuma did no such thing. I did. :smallmad:

I kid. The weakest link is "xenophobically." That makes it all fall apart, verbally or visually.

DracoDei
2009-02-26, 05:56 PM
On the computer here, it was easy enough to go through the words. If you're using a verbal medium, it would be more challenging, but also more fun, and still doable.

Since the characters can see the writing, I would recommend a handout for this...

Harperfan7
2009-02-26, 06:25 PM
Sorry afroakuma, I guess I'm dyslexic...

The pcs get to see it.

Know any good X words?

Alteran
2009-02-26, 06:57 PM
I agree with what's been said. It's very hard if you try to get meaning from the words, but once you realize they're meaningless it's quite easy. I spent a minute or so trying to understand it, but it became clear pretty quickly that it was nonsense. I think it would be almost impossible to solve by only hearing it, so the handout is a good idea.

Starscream
2009-02-26, 06:58 PM
If you're looking for riddles, I actually just posted some I used to use in a thread called Riddle Me This:

I used to do riddle dungeons when I DM'ed for my brothers. I'm a comic book nerd, and most of mine were inspired by a certain Batman villain.

Some favorites:

Q: What is harder to catch the faster you run? You love it when I am taken away, but without me you will perish.
Answer: Breath
If the characters fail this one all the air is sucked from the room.

Q:I am alive without breath, as cold as death, never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking.
Answer: Fish
If the characters fail the room begins to flood with water, and a summoning trap adds some sharks

Q:I am blind but can look you in the eye. I cannot speak but always tell the truth.
Answer: Mirror
The party must find their way through a floor on which some tiles are trapped. Looking through a mirror will reveal which ones.

Q:You can see me, you can touch me, but you can't carry me. You can put a creature in me to catch it. You can put me in a creature to kill it. You can put me in a box to make it lighter. What am I?
Answer: Hole
If they answer correctly a hole appears in the wall, letting them pass. If they answer incorrectly it appears beneath their feet and they fall.

These aren't too hard in my opinion, but I guess it depends on the players.

SmartAlec
2009-02-26, 07:10 PM
Just need to make it seem less like nonsense and more of a legitimate question.

This may give the game away, especially when cheating with the X, but something like this would flow better:

"This hermit once sought entry. "Why is this hardwrought way in thus denied?" I said, craving easy riddles. No true reply uncovered the hints I needed.

Challenge: open my portal's lock. E xamine, interpret, think, yell."