PDA

View Full Version : Help designing a city

kentma57
2009-02-26, 02:55 PM
Well I am currently working on a city that will make up the center of my campaign and I could use some help with the details. Here is what you probably need to know before we continue:

Plot: So I am working with a group of evil PC's, they have been ordered to cause as much trouble as they can for this city so that it is as unstable as possible when he decides to invade it(AKA he does not want to wait time attacking a stable well fortified city, so he will wait until his followers weaken it). Now the city is quite valuable because of it's location, it is the only major city in massive desert expanse and makes up the center of all the trade routs through it.
Now because of its location the city has become powerful and wealthy, but it is also well defended. High and thick stone wall surround the city a massive mercenary force guards the city; and magic protects the higher class sections of the city.

Factions: Not sure how to finish this one but the groups I have decided on are:
The water merchants:
A single company/guild that has the sole rights to sell water to all the citizens of the city. Owned/Run by the original founders of the city.

Trade Guilds:
All trades and crafting arts are regulated by these organizations, it is illegal to buy any goods from a non-guild approved source while inside the city.

The Mercenary Company(Elven Commando Corps): Founded by three powerful elven warriors over 600 years ago; this branch of the organization has become permanent residents of this city having protected it for the past 200 years, but their contract is rumored to come up for renewal soon. They watch the border and if they say you are not going to get in only the high council can overturn their decision.

High Council: A group of people from different organizations throughout the city, the major players are drawn from: the trade guild and the water merchants, with a small number from the mercenary company to make recommendations regarding city safety otherwise they hold little sway.

So what I am really trying to work out is things like population numbers, what other major industries might be, city design(though I have a few ideas), what the average citizen might be like, and other things to make the place feel more real. Though now that you have an idea of what it will be like I am happy to listen to any ideas.

ps: There is sort of a contest going to come up with the best name for the city, all submissions welcome.

Dienekes
2009-02-26, 07:51 PM
Assuming we're basing it off of medieval england (it's the standard)

If it's a big city, but not major I'd suggest around 50,000 - 100,000 people (this is for the biggest of the big cities)

Important guilds would be the Mercer's Guild (clothing sells, usually connected with sheep) but this is more later Medieval.

Shoemakers Guilds can also be very important.

The blacksmiths generally did not form into guilds that I'm aware of, but they served very important roles in cities, same thing goes with butchers and most artisans.

The idea of a merchant guild is generally a misconception, though I'm not sure if they never existed, more that they weren't very common in the middle ages.

And don't forget such important (and profitable) jobs such as the ropemakers and the lumberers.

Going beyond that for city guards and soldiers and mercenaries and such. The suggestion is that they make up 2% of the population so using the highest city size of 100,000 we'd get around 2000 guards.

The big city would be ruled by a Duke or an Archduke (suggest archduke if it's as important as you claim).

Oh and make it full of animals. There were animals everywhere in the middle ages. And full of ****. Cities should reek to high heaven.

There would possibly be a university of somekind. because it is a fantastical setting probably tied to wizards or such.

kentma57
2009-02-27, 01:49 AM
Had not considered a university, good call. As for animals I don't know... a desert dould be to harsh a place for common animals though there may just be enough water that those who can afford to stay there can afford to give their animals something to drink. Or I could use more enviromentaly apropriate animals, like camels.

ps: thanks for the other ideas I will probably write them in if I have time.

DracoDei
2009-02-27, 02:29 AM
Large city in the middle of the desert?
Actually mentioned that as one of the quintessential reasons to have these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2618654#post2618654) around. The would probably make up a lot of the second tier of the water guild power wise, and also double as the fire department.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-03, 06:07 AM
The idea of a merchant guild is generally a misconception, though I'm not sure if they never existed, more that they weren't very common in the middle ages.

Remember, this isn't in an England-like setting, it's in the desert. I'd say a merchant guild of some sort is highly likely, since the environment makes solo-trading efforts difficult, if not impossible. Virtually all trade would be conducted through caravans that have the knowledge and equipment to cross the desert, and the owners of these caravans would likely form a guild to increase their power.

Note that this guild would probably have very close ties with the Elven Commando Corps, as they would be dealing with border crossings on a regular basis.

They would probably also have ties (albeit not acknowledged ones) with the local version of the Thieves' Guild, since they would be the primary conduit for all smuggling, both in (for black market goods) and out (to get rid of identifiable stolen items).