PDA

View Full Version : The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit! [PrC]

Jarl
2006-09-12, 12:35 AM
I was gonna say "Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of men?" but that was too long for the subject field.
First PrC, by the way.

Bonded Duskstrider
A 10-level Prestige Class with Epic Rules included
http://home.comcast.net/~jarl_the_radical/shadow_ledge.jpg

The vulgar spirit sought an empty vessel, and found one. It inhabited it violently and aggressively. It built an empire of sin and evil. It was the lord of all it viewed.
And then, one night, the monks came.

A Bonded Duskstrider is a special symbiosis of villainy and heroism. When an evil spirit possesses a weaker creature, it can take on the creatures flaws inadvertently. However, there exists an order of monks, lead by a Tulku, a holy man, who seek these amalgams of man and demon and bond the two permanently, creating a creature of pure justice. These creatures are then sent into the world to punish the evil and protect the good, seemingly by whatever means necessary.
A Bonded Duskstrider usually works at night, though there is no reason why they must. Accordingly, most Bonded Duskstriders wear dark, heavy clothes that hide their at-times twisted and deformed facial features. Masks and other facial coverings are popular items. A Bonded Duskstrider is not a lonely creature, for it has both its vulgar other side to keep it company, as well as a network of spies and servants that help it to further the cause of justice.

Requirements
Race- LA 0
Skills- Bluff 3, Persuade 3, Intimidate 3, Sense Motive 10, Hide 3
Feats- Martial Weapon proficiency, Leadership, Weapon Focus (any)
Special- Must be an LA 0 character currently possessed by an Evil aligned Outsider, must be "Broken" by a Tulku. It is highly encouraged that the DM just say that it happened at some point, but may be roleplayed as thus: for every hit die of the outsider, the character spends 3d4 months being trained by the Tulku. A save versus death (DC equal to the hit die of the outsider) is required at the beginning of the training. See below for the Outsider Table.

Features
Alignment- Lawful Good
Hit Die- d8
BAB and Saves- As Paladin
Skills- The Class Skills for Bonded Duskstrider (and their key abilities) are Bluff (Cha), Persuade (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Hide (Cha), and Gather Information (Cha). The Bonded Duskstrider gains 2+Int Modifier skills per level.
Proficiencies- The Bonded Duskstrider is proficient in Light and Medium armors, but not heavy armors or shields. A Bonded Duskstrider is unable to use his Spell-Like or Supernatural Class Features while wearing heavy armor or using shields.

Bonded Duskstrider
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|The Only Way Out Is In A Box, Heart of Darkness, The Beast Claws Out, Smite Evil, Shadow Network, Demonic Focus

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Detect Evil

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|The Shadow

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Treading Where Few Dare

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Master of Darkness

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Vulgar Achievement

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|The Laugh

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Cloud Men's Minds

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men?

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Blackness of Soul[/table]

The Only Way Out Is In A Box (Ex)- If a Bonded Duskstrider changes alignments, he must save versus death with a DC equal to his hit die multiplied by four. If he succeeds, he may no longer accrue levels in Bonded Duskstrider ever again, but retains all Extraordinary type class features. If he fails, he dies and may not be resurrected except by a wish or miraclespell. If this occurs, he loses all class features and may never accrue levels in Bonded Duskstrider ever again.

Heart of Darkness (Ex)- For the purposes of detect alignment, detect good, detect evil, smite evil, etc, a Bonded Duskstrider always registers as Evil. A Bonded Duskstrider has an Evil Aura, but it can never be overwhelming, nor can he be overwhelmed by a Good Aura.

The Beast Claws Out (Ex)- When a Bonded Duskstrider enters combat, he must succeed on a DC 20 Will Save or become enveloped by the "Demon". The Bonded Duskstrider becomes Chaotic Neutral for the duration. The character retains all Bonded Duskstrider Class Features during this transformation, though he may lose paladin powers or regain barbarian powers, for example. Furthermore, the character receives a +2 Str, -1 Con, and -1 Dex. Every fourth level, these are doubled, so a level eight Bonded Duskstrider would have +6 Str, -3 Con, and -3 Dex. If the character continues into epic levels, then this caps at level twenty, with +10 Str, -5 Dex, and -5 con.
This transformation lasts for as many rounds as the Will save was failed by, though the character may elect to remain transformed for a number of rounds equal to his levels in Bonded Duskstrider. During this time, the character's facial features take on a feral, demonic, or otherwise unpleasant appearance that is still recognizable as the character. This transformation is largely up to the player or DM to quantify, though the character immediately takes a -2 circumstance penalty on all Diplomacy checks and a +2 circumstance bonus to all Intimidate checks.

Smite Evil (Su)- A Bonded Duskstrider may Smite Evil as a paladin of level equal to his levels in the Bonded Duskstrider prestige class. He also gains additional Smite Evils as a paladin, and may take the "Extra Smiting" feat if available. A character's Bonded Duskstrider levels stack with his Paladin levels in determining Smite Evil.

Shadow Network (Ex)- All cohorts and followers of a Bonded Duskstrider (due to the Leadership Feat required to take the class) may use the Bonded Duskstrider's Charisma modifier on any Gather Information, Bluff, Hide, or Search checks.

Demonic Focus (Ex)- A Bonded Duskstrider may purchase or craft a weapon to serve as his Demonic Focus. This weapon must be the same type which the Weapon Focus feat applies to. If crafted by the character, the Craft DC is increased by 10, and decreased by one for every level after first. The weapon costs an additional 10%, if purchased, and can only be purchased from a smith with more than 10 ranks in the appropriate craft skill.
The weapon automatically gains a +1 enhancement. Every two levels, it gains an additional +1 enhancement, to a maximum of +5 at tenth level. If the character continues into epic levels, this feature does not continue to progress.
At fifth level, it gains the Keen attribute. At tenth level, it gains the Wounding attribute. If the character continues into epic levels, then at level fifteen it gains the Vorpal Attribute (if a slashing weapon). This weapon is Lawful Evil for the purposes of Damage Reduction, Detect Evil, etc. A Bonded Duskstrider may only purchase or craft one such weapon per level. The Demonic Focus may not be Unarmed, Grapple, or Ray.

Detect Evil (Sp)- Starting at second level, a Bonded Duskstrider may, at will, detect evil as the spell.

The Shadow (Sp)- Starting at third level, a Bonded Duskstrider may, once per day, use greater invisibility as the spell, though the character's shadow will be visible (Spot DC of 10 in full light, 20 in low-light, and is totally invisible in total darkness). At every third level afterwards, the character gains an additional use of this spell per day, up to 3 at level 9. If the character continues into epic levels, then this caps at 6 uses per day at level 20. At level 10, the ability instead becomes Supernatural.

Treading Where Few Dare (Ex)- Starting at fourth level, a Bonded Duskstrider becomes immune to fear effects.

Master of Darkness (Sp)- Starting at fifth level, a Bonded Duskstrider may, at will, use silent image as the spell with the following alterations:
The image is two dimensional
The image is translucent
The image is solid black
The image is projected against a surface or object
The character may only create one such image at a time
This illusionary shadow may be used to increase the Spot DC on the Bonded Duskstrider's shadow by 1 for every level of Bonded Duskstrider the character has.

Vulgar Achievement (Sp)- Starting at sixth level, a Bonded Duskstrider may willfully induce a transformation into it's "demon", as the The Beast Claws Out ability, once per day. This variant of the ability requires no will save, leaves the character "in control", and causes no alignment shift.
Every two levels afterward, the character may perform this action an additional time per day, up to three times per day at level ten. If the character continues into Epic levels, then the feature caps at level twenty with eight uses per day. A Bonded Duskstrider may still involuntarily transform when beginning combat, however, and does not receive the benefits of Vulgar Achievement if he does so.

The Laugh (Sp)- Starting at seventh level, a Bonded Duskstrider may summon an otherworldly cackle, replicating the effects of a fear spell, with a spherical area of effect rather than cone shaped. Creatures with hit die less than seven fewer than the Bonded Duskstrider's are affected as though by the hold person spell with a caster level equal to the character's levels in Bonded Duskstrider.

Cloud Men's Minds (Sp)- Starting at eighth level, a Bonded Duskstrider may use suggestion, as the spell, at will.

Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men? (Sp)- A Bonded Duskstrider does. Starting at ninth level, a Bonded Duskstrider may use detect thoughts, as the spell, at will.

Blackness of Soul (Ex)- At tenth level, a Bonded Duskstrider becomes an Outsider with the Native and Evil subtypes.

Epic Progression

The effects of the Beast Claws Out, Smite Evil, The Shadow, Master of Darkness, Vulgar Achievement, and the Laugh continue to accrue past tenth level.

At fifteenth level, the Demonic Focus gains the Vorpal attribute, if a slashing weapon.

Outsider Tables

Though the description uses the term "Demon", any evil aligned non-native outsider, even from a non-evil-aligned plane (such as an evil-aligned fire elemental) could be the source of the Bonded Duskstrider's power. Since the "demon" is effectively destroyed, the exact type does not particularly matter. If the player or DM wishes to know the type, a table is provided below.

Outsider Subtype
Roll d6.
1: Demon
2: Devil
3: Elemental*
4: Angel (Evil Aligned)
5: Mephit*
6: Archon (Evil Aligned)

*Elemental Subtype
Roll d4.
1: Air
2: Earth
3: Fire
4: Water

Regardless of type, the Outsider has 5d4 hit die.

-New version.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-12, 02:12 AM
Skill points per level?

I could just be blind, granted..... stupid shadows in my eyes...

Jarl
2006-09-12, 02:40 AM
Skill points per level?

I could just be blind, granted..... stupid shadows in my eyes...
... you're blind, you're blind...

-*hurriedly fixes post*

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-12, 03:24 AM
As far as I know, there is no class that has free access to the bredth of exotic weapon proficiencies. Therefore, you might want to state which exotic weapon, or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any) you want the character to have.

The stat mods on The Beast Claws Out are odd - WoTC usually uses multiples of +2/-2 for these effects. Maybe drop the con drop and make it +2 Str/-2 Dex? Also, I have no understanding what you mean by 'make a will save as if attacked by himself'. Does he take an attack roll + BAB + Str/Dex and must make a will save versus that number? If so, the number is absurdly high. I'd set an arbitrary DC number, so the higher the character's level, the more likely he is to retain control of himself, instead of the less likely.

You state that "Smite Evil (Su)- A Bonded Duskstrider may Smite Evil as a paladin of level equal to his levels in the Bonded Duskstrider prestige class" but then go on to say "The Shadow (Sp)- Starting at third level, a Bonded Duskstrider may, once per day, use invisibility as the spell, though the character's shadow will be visible. At every third level afterwards, the character gains an additional use of this spell per day, up to 6 at level 18."

I assume you started this as a full 20-level class and moved it to a prestige class, but you'll need to clear up one or the other. :)

Demonic Focus heavily encourages TWF builds - you get not one, but two free +6 enchantment equivelent weapons. I'd suggest only allowing one, and the Bonded Duskstrider can foot the bill for the other one.

The Laugh assumes a full 20-level progression once again.

Overall it's good, but 20-level PrCs are... well, I haven't seen any. There are rules for taking Prestige classes into epic territory, so you might want to include rules for that.

Overall, I think it's pretty weak on the mechanics side, though I like the ideas behind it. Your main features are:

+2 Str, -1 Dex, -1 Con in combat
Smite Evil
A nerfed Invisibility/Greater Invisability 6/day (You need to list the mechanic for handling spot checks against the shadow, spot DC or such)
+2/+6 enchantment bonus to one or two weapons (which is pretty nice, but I'd phase in the bonuses over class levelss)
A spherical Fear spell at will
Sense Motive/Bluff as Epic in a non-epic game. Not really a big deal without a large bonus, as your skills are still capped by your level.

The Beast Claws Out - I'd phase this one in over class levels, perhaps adding claw attacks and more strength and a smaller con bonus at higher levels. (end at +6 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex/ -4 Diplomacy, +4 Intimidate maybe?)

Jarl
2006-09-12, 03:56 AM
As far as I know, there is no class that has free access to the bredth of exotic weapon proficiencies. Therefore, you might want to state which exotic weapon, or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any) you want the character to have.
Good idea. I may drop Exotic Weapons, since I can't quite remember where that inspiration came from. Mostly, I think I was trying toincrease the requirements, as that made me feel free to increase the bonuses.

The stat mods on The Beast Claws Out are odd - WoTC usually uses multiples of +2/-2 for these effects. Maybe drop the con drop and make it +2 Str/-2 Dex?
I... could do that...

Also, I have no understanding what you mean by 'make a will save as if attacked by himself'. Does he take an attack roll + BAB + Str/Dex and must make a will save versus that number? If so, the number is absurdly high. I'd set an arbitrary DC number, so the higher the character's level, the more likely he is to retain control of himself, instead of the less likely.
Better. Definitely. I originally had some rediculously vague statement there, but just typed out the first think I could think of right before I posted it. What would be a good arbitrary number, do you think?

You state that "Smite Evil (Su)- A Bonded Duskstrider may Smite Evil as a paladin of level equal to his levels in the Bonded Duskstrider prestige class" but then go on to say "The Shadow (Sp)- Starting at third level, a Bonded Duskstrider may, once per day, use invisibility as the spell, though the character's shadow will be visible. At every third level afterwards, the character gains an additional use of this spell per day, up to 6 at level 18."

I assume you started this as a full 20-level class and moved it to a prestige class, but you'll need to clear up one or the other. :)
No, I started this as a template, realized I didn't know how to make templates, and switched it over to 20-level prestige class. If it weren't for the requirements, it would be better as a base class. And by better, I mean it wouldn't.

Demonic Focus heavily encourages TWF builds - you get not one, but two free +6 enchantment equivelent weapons. I'd suggest only allowing one, and the Bonded Duskstrider can foot the bill for the other one.
Well, the Shadow was famous for his dual nickel-plated .45 automatics. And he has to purchase the Demonic Focus as a Masterwork weapon (because, as we know, an extra three hundred gold really breaks the bank at seventh level) and can only do so once per level. The only thing he gets free is an additional +2 enhancement on a weapon which he already has a weapon focus on, thus just an additional +1 since they don't stack.

The Laugh assumes a full 20-level progression once again.

Overall it's good, but 20-level PrCs are... well, I haven't seen any. There are rules for taking Prestige classes into epic territory, so you might want to include rules for that.
I probably should. I just see it as a normal 20 level class with the minor problem that the requirements are prestige-style.

A nerfed Invisibility/Greater Invisability 6/day (You need to list the mechanic for handling spot checks against the shadow, spot DC or such)
Good point. Something low, as a matter of fact, as it's only described as "prominent". The Master of Darkness skill is supposed to compensate for it. Come to think of it, Greater Invisibility is level four spell... maybe I should just drop the Invis and go straight for the GI?

+2/+6 enchantment bonus to one or two weapons (which is pretty nice, but I'd phase in the bonuses over class levelss)
Good idea, a progressive increase in power...

Sense Motive/Bluff as Epic in a non-epic game. Not really a big deal without a large bonus, as your skills are still capped by your level.
Maybe I should replace them with the proper spells? I believe they're... uh... detect thoughts, detect alignment, and suggestion respectively.

The Beast Claws Out - I'd phase this one in over class levels, perhaps adding claw attacks and more strength and a smaller con bonus at higher levels. (end at +6 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex/ -4 Diplomacy, +4 Intimidate maybe?)
I like the progression...
Thanks very much, very good advice. Back to the lair, for tinkering.

-So the Heart of Darkness won't mess it up too bad? I mean, I can think of a few ways in which it could cause powergaming trouble.

Jarl
2006-09-12, 04:24 AM
Looking into it, an epic prestige class is basically just ten more levels tacked onto a normal prestige class.
Call it epic of you want. It really fits better as a base class, though, since otherwise the character would be level... what, you'd have to be about level 25-30 in order to have 20 levels of Bonded Duskstrider.

Also, Hide should be dex, not cha. I remember thinking that was a good idea, but then again I was on pain meds when I wrote some parts of this.

Really, the main problem I was anticipating is the fact that I can find no "Possess" spell in the SRD. Really, that part is intentionally vague. It's not even mentioned what kind of demon/outsider it is that does the possessing. A really anal DM could just roll for it on a table, I guess.

Furthermore, the Cloud Men's Minds ability is useless because at level fifteen a character who took this prestige class at level 5 has Epic skills anwyays.

Okay, that's it. Throw the game down, flip it, and reverse it, we're going Base Class.

-Urgh. I can't bring myself to do it.

Jarl
2006-09-12, 05:10 AM
The Beast Claws Out - I'd phase this one in over class levels, perhaps adding claw attacks...
I forgot to adress this. The name of the feat is a quote from the film ("You watched your spirit, your very face change as the beast claws it's way out from within you"). Though feral and demonic looking, a transformed Bonded Duskstrider does not gain claws and such.

-Also, I've been fiddling with the Demonic Focus ability. It's coming off better now. I may have to split it into two abilities in order for it to make sense.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-12, 05:20 AM
I wish they allowed nested quotes, it'd make this easier... ah well.

Quote:Demonic Focus heavily encourages TWF builds - you get not one, but two free +6 enchantment equivelent weapons. I'd suggest only allowing one, and the Bonded Duskstrider can foot the bill for the other one.

Well, the Shadow was famous for his dual nickel-plated .45 automatics. And he has to purchase the Demonic Focus as a Masterwork weapon (because, as we know, an extra three hundred gold really breaks the bank at seventh level) and can only do so once per level. The only thing he gets free is an additional +2 enhancement on a weapon which he already has a weapon focus on, thus just an additional +1 since they don't stack.

Well, according to you, your Demonic Focus weapon is considered a +3 Wounding (+2) Keen (+1) and Lawful and Evil Aligned weapon. And TWF builds get two to the non-TWF tree's one.

Demonic Focus (Su)- Starting at seventh level, when a Bonded Duskstrider uses a weapon in which he has a Weapon Focus, it is treated as having an additional +2 enhancement. Furthermore, a Bonded Duskstrider may purchase a masterwork version of that weapon to be his Demonic Focus. This weapon is treated as +3, Wounding, Keen, and Lawful Evil for the purposes of Damage Reduction. A Bonded Duskstrider may only purchase such a weapon once per level, unless he has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat (and it applies to the weapon), in which case he may purchase two.

Anyway, no problem on the feedback, and off into the territory of a 20 level class.

Okay, now throwing out random thoughts and observations. You've probably encountered some of these, but hopefully some are new:

fluff table for determining the type of evil outsider (d4 if you just care about type (demon, devil, yugoloth, _____, up to d20 for specific types of those races? Possibly include abilities at level 5,10,15,20 or so that reflect the evil outsider you have bound in you? Minor energy resistance twice (resist fire 5 at level 5, resist fire 10 at level 15, darkvision, or some other quality of the outsider?)
Model the 'The Beast Claws Out' ability after the Barbarian's rage? Less ability boost, number of rounds modified by con (so reducing the con might not be a good idea)
Model the weapon progression something like the soulknife? It provides a nice method to get the weapon up to a +9 total enhancement.
Shadow Network at level 12, free Leadership at level 6?
Spell-like abilities, likewise phased in. I'd wait a while before giving the class Improved Invisibility though.
You might consider giving the class minor spellcasting, perhaps through a fairly restricted list of spells to choose from and using the Paladin progression. Not sure if that isn't layering too much uber onto the class, since I've suggested a free weapon with enhancements, a nerfed barbarian rage, the ability to smite evil, and some spell-like abilities already.

Just throwing out ideas, hope some of them are helpful. :)

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-12, 07:35 AM
Nice and dark.
What's the save for the beginning of Tulku training?
And I'd give a fear immunity. These guys ARE dealng with uber-evil on a regular basis.

NullAshton
2006-09-12, 08:34 AM
About him being able to use bluff as an epic skill, you can use epic skills in non-epic levels if you have a high enough modifier. There's nothing (that I know of) that prevents you from making epic-level DCs. A bard with glibness could instill a suggestion in someone before epic levels, at an effective -20 to his/her roll.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-12, 09:59 AM
Well, the Shadow was famous for his dual nickel-plated .45 automatics. And he has to purchase the Demonic Focus as a Masterwork weapon (because, as we know, an extra three hundred gold really breaks the bank at seventh level) and can only do so once per level. The only thing he gets free is an additional +2 enhancement on a weapon which he already has a weapon focus on, thus just an additional +1 since they don't stack.Umm... by default, Weapon Focus is an unnamed bonus, and thus stacks with everything unless otherwise specified....

Jarl
2006-09-12, 09:35 PM
Okay, throwing out the game text on Demonic focus, starting over. No longer does it apply to any weapon of that type, now it applies to just the one he purchases/crafts. And he still doesn't get these weapons free. Also, there's a progression twoards +5 at level 19, it gains Keen at 15, and Wounding at 20.
The two weapons for TWF has been dropped as well, so just one weapon per level. That way, you'd have to be level eight before you could rush in with your dual nickel-plated longswords or whatever.

The Outsider table I haven't gottenaround to yet. The Save DC at the beginning of training is the number of the Outsider's hit Die.

The Epic Skill features are being re-worked. Since he already has Detect Evil, it's being reduced to just Suggestion, possibly to become Dominate Person at higher levels.

Greater Invisible is staying, the Spot DC on the shadow's going to depend on the light conditions.

On a related note, Subtypes stack, don't they?

Okay, re-working it to be a 10 level PrC with an Epic Progression, the new Demonic Focus screws it up. I figure I can either bring Demonic Focus down a few levels to re-adjust (probably the best idea) or else just let it seriously get tough fast, which seems like a bad idea.

-Also started working on that outsider table. I've expanded it to allow any outsider of evil alignment (such as a fire elemental), though the type does not effect the outcome, as the bonding process "destroys" the outsider.

Jarl
2006-09-12, 10:27 PM
And the Shadow strikes back. New version posted. Ten level prestige class with epic rules included, allowing him to smite evil as a level twenty paladin once he gets up there. Stack that with genuine paladin levels and... well, things get messy. At the end, a Lawful Good Native/Evil Outsider...
Oh hell, I forgot to restrict the alignment properly.
Okay... how about... if a Bonded Duskstrider becomes any other alignment, he can no longer accrue levels in Bonded Duskstrider or use the Class Features unless he returns to his former alignment (Beast Claws Out already compensates for this). I'll fix it later.

And... no Spellcasting. He gets Epic skills without being epic, paladin features without being a paladin, and can be smited as evil without being evil. No spells. Being a prestige class, the player could just take some levels in sorceror or something first, if they feel like it.

-[edit]Adjusted it. Can't change alignments, and moved the LG restriction from Requirements to Stats, as the character could be of any alignment to start with.

Jarl
2006-11-02, 11:57 PM
Bump for new formatting. Added tables, re-built the overviews to conform to my templates, also made the Demonic Focus Vorpal at level fifteen.

-I'm done. It's finished.