PDA

View Full Version : A Shadow in the Dark... (3.5)

JellyPooga
2009-02-26, 04:57 PM
Specifically a Shadow-Walker (Unapproachable East) and his Darkness Spell-Like Ability.

A couple of questions:

1) Are the "Darkness SLA" and associated Feats from 'Drow of the Underdark' worth the investment? They sound pretty nifty, making Darkness a useful tool instead of something you never use, but weighing up their usefulness against other Feats, I'm not sure if they're worth it.

1a) Does anyone have suggestions for a way to get these feats as Bonus Feats, whether from a class, race or whatever?

2) If the answer to the question 1 was "yes", then is casting Darkness all over the place too much of a hindrance to other party members for a character of this sort to be asset rather than a liability?

3) I like the Shadowcaster (Tome of Magic) and it fits the theme, but (as is generally accepted) they are a little sub-par and have a very peculiar progression in which you advance very slowly then suddenly leap ahead (e.g. at level 6 you can cast 6 spells per day (not including Fundamentals) and then at level 7 you suddenly have 12 spell-like abilities a day and 1 spell per day...very odd if you ask me). I need either A) Advice on how to build a good Shadowcaster (without any of the proposed fixes...I've seen them and I'm happier with the published material) or B) Suggestions on other classes that could suit the Shadow-Walker theme (not Telflammar Shadowlord btw).

Cheers,
JP