PDA

View Full Version : SCA in the playground

Erloas
2009-02-26, 05:32 PM
I know there are at least a few other people that have at some point taken part in the SCA. I did a search and didn't come up with anything on the topic (but some of that may have to do with SCA being only 3 letters and therefor ignored by the search engine).
As for being in the gaming section... well it has all of the aspects of a game, just without every being labeled as such. It doesn't fit any better in any other section either, so meh.

For anyone that doesn't know, the SCA is a medieval recreation group. They do a lot of things related to history, but the most obvious is the fighting. There are groups all over the world that are part of the SCA (the knight I'm squired to meet his wife in the SCA in Germany when he was stationed over there in the military) There are plenty of pictures of the SCA (fighting more so then most other things) if you want to search for them. There are also a number of YouTube videos from several events, including Estrella War a few weeks ago.

Anyone else go to Estrella this year? I made it down there and it was a good time, even though I was not in shape for fighting and my arms ended up as jello after each day of fighting.

Its been almost exactly 10 years since I first put on armor. However I've probably spent about 5-6 of those years fighting all that much. The last 3 or so of years I was down in Phoenix I just wasn't close enough to any practices to make it to the practice and get home again in time to get up for work the next day. I hit some events and some practices but not a lot. The last year I've been back in Wyoming and didn't start back up because I had too much going on. I did get a hold of local group last week and I'm going to start going to practices again. Though its a small and aging group so I'll just have to see how things go in the long run.

I figure having been involved for 10 years its about time I bothered to try to get my name passed, do a bit of research on my persona and try to get my device passed as well. I also figure its about time I got some garb other then a basic tunic. Finding good and reasonably priced fabric is quite the challenge though, especially since there is no where local to even check for remnant pieces.

Also I'm looking at upgrading a few pieces of armor. Specifically I need some new legs. Haven't decided yet between full metal, splint or leather. Looking at the various shops online its hard to get a real idea of how good some of the offerings are without seeing the pieces first-hand (which is hard to do not living by any of the armouries). Anyone have the names of some good armouries that they know makes good quality parts for a reasonable price? (and what is reasonable for legs anymore... they jump all over the place in price without any major difference I can notice)

serok42
2009-02-27, 07:34 AM
I know there are at least a few other people that have at some point taken part in the SCA. I did a search and didn't come up with anything on the topic (but some of that may have to do with SCA being only 3 letters and therefor ignored by the search engine).
As for being in the gaming section... well it has all of the aspects of a game, just without every being labeled as such. It doesn't fit any better in any other section either, so meh.

For anyone that doesn't know, the SCA is a medieval recreation group. They do a lot of things related to history, but the most obvious is the fighting. There are groups all over the world that are part of the SCA (the knight I'm squired to meet his wife in the SCA in Germany when he was stationed over there in the military) There are plenty of pictures of the SCA (fighting more so then most other things) if you want to search for them. There are also a number of YouTube videos from several events, including Estrella War a few weeks ago.

Anyone else go to Estrella this year? I made it down there and it was a good time, even though I was not in shape for fighting and my arms ended up as jello after each day of fighting.

Its been almost exactly 10 years since I first put on armor. However I've probably spent about 5-6 of those years fighting all that much. The last 3 or so of years I was down in Phoenix I just wasn't close enough to any practices to make it to the practice and get home again in time to get up for work the next day. I hit some events and some practices but not a lot. The last year I've been back in Wyoming and didn't start back up because I had too much going on. I did get a hold of local group last week and I'm going to start going to practices again. Though its a small and aging group so I'll just have to see how things go in the long run.

I figure having been involved for 10 years its about time I bothered to try to get my name passed, do a bit of research on my persona and try to get my device passed as well. I also figure its about time I got some garb other then a basic tunic. Finding good and reasonably priced fabric is quite the challenge though, especially since there is no where local to even check for remnant pieces.

Also I'm looking at upgrading a few pieces of armor. Specifically I need some new legs. Haven't decided yet between full metal, splint or leather. Looking at the various shops online its hard to get a real idea of how good some of the offerings are without seeing the pieces first-hand (which is hard to do not living by any of the armouries). Anyone have the names of some good armouries that they know makes good quality parts for a reasonable price? (and what is reasonable for legs anymore... they jump all over the place in price without any major difference I can notice)

My brother is in the SCA. I have been to a few events but I was only there watching. It seems pretty interesting but it isn't for me. He loves it though. He has been in it for 10 or 15 years now I think.

Brother Oni
2009-02-27, 12:38 PM
The closest I've done is join a Norman-times re-enactment group back in university, so it might be a bit early for you. :smallbiggrin:

One question I've got about the SCA that I can't find from skimming the website - how much emphasis is placed on historical accuracy and authenticity?

The Milities deBec was quite relaxed during practice sessions on university grounds (I usually didn't have time to change after martial arts, so I used to take part in a grey shaolin uniform :smallbiggrin:), but in full view of the public and at events, strict historical accuracy was insisted on; for example women used to have to wear enough stuff so that it wasn't obvious that they were women (hiding their hair under a norman helmet was usually enough with the mail).

Erloas
2009-02-27, 01:23 PM
Well authenticity requirements are highly dependent on what you are doing and where you are. Some groups are much more worried about it then others, as are some aspects.

If you are entering an arts and sciences competition then things need to be as authentic as you can get them. With names and devices they try to stay as authentic as possible. Not that what you do has to be exact copies of what was done before, but that the materials/colors/images used were as close as they could be to how it was done even if that exact combination was never done.

No one is going to expect people to sew all of their clothing by hand or weave their own fabrics. Using a sewing machine is not anything people are going to have a problem with.

For the fighting, safety comes first. Safety is enforced, every other aspect of fighting is pretty much a matter of personal choice. Most people will try to make their armor authentic, but everyone accepts that most people don't have the money to get a very elaborate set of armor to fit their late German persona (gothic plate is incredibly expensive). While most people try to keep an overall authentic look, no one really complains about someone starting in plastic armor, or having modern types of body armor under surcoats or tabbards. There are also a lot of people that use stainless steel and aluminum in their armor, which isn't authentic at all but it lasts a lot longer and requires much less maintenance. You have people fighting in a simple $90 bassinet helmet fighting with people with elaborate one-of-a-kind $1500 helmets.

Generally speaking in most aspects of the SCA people start out simple, using things that are more modern (and considerably cheaper) and as they continue to take part they transition into more authentic things as they go.

At the wars you will find some camps that are almost entirely period tents with the modern tents hidden in the back (which would currently be me). You will find other camps that are almost exclusively modern tents. A good period tent, at least last time I checked and I doubt its changed much since then started at about $600 and went up very quickly from there. It really has a lot to do with how important it is to the person then any overall rules.

You will always find some people that will put a much larger focus on authenticity and accuracy. And that sort of thing is encourages as much as possible, but everyone (with the rare exceptions you find in any large group of people) accepts that not everyone has the time and resources to make everything authentic.

Overall the SCA is a group for the people taking part in the hobby, it is not designed as a show for other people. At Estrella this year they did have a sub-camp set up that they keep as authentic as they could and did have some schools tour it, but that was just a small aside from the rest of what was going on. I've seen a few times when they will put on shows for schools, but 99% of the events aren't for the public. Which doesn't mean people that aren't part of the SCA can't attend, but nothing they do is designed for them like it is at something like a Ren-fair.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-07, 10:44 PM
I've never been in the SCA but I'm interested.

As far as buying armor, I've never bought anything from these guys but the pictures look good: http://myworld.ebay.com/myarmstreet/

I'll be moving to Heidelberg, Germany shortly (U.S. military). Any experience with an SCA group there?

Erloas
2009-03-07, 11:42 PM
I've never been in the SCA but I'm interested.

As far as buying armor, I've never bought anything from these guys but the pictures look good: http://myworld.ebay.com/myarmstreet/

I'll be moving to Heidelberg, Germany shortly (U.S. military). Any experience with an SCA group there?

Well of the few people I've asked about armor, they avoid Ebay because its hard to tell exactly what you are getting. They always buy from local people they know. So as for any specific vendor on ebay, I couldn't say.

As far as finding a group there, it is The Kingdom of Drachenwald (http://www.drachenwald.sca.org) and they have Heidelberg listed as well as contact information for someone there, so all I can say is get a hold of them and see what you can find out.

I wouldn't worry about buying anything until you meet up with a group and see how things go. Most groups will have some loaner armor for people to use.

Renegade Paladin
2009-03-07, 11:50 PM
The closest I've done is join a Norman-times re-enactment group back in university, so it might be a bit early for you. :smallbiggrin:
The Society's period runs from 600 to 1600 AD; the Norman era falls well within it. :smallamused:

It may behoove you to note that the acronym stands for Society for Creative Anachronism.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-08, 02:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about buying anything until you meet up with a group and see how things go. Most groups will have some loaner armor for people to use.

Oh yeah, no need to worry about that. I understand this could easily be an incredibly expensive hobby. I think I'll start with the "feedsack" style tunic and gradually work my way up from there.

Saithis Bladewing
2009-03-08, 07:43 AM
Kingdom of An Tir born and raised!

That said it's been about 13-14 years since I've been to an event (I barely remember it), but my parents were regularly involved as were many of their friends who I grew up with at the time.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-09, 01:53 PM
I have a question - for the regular arts & sciences meetings, do people tend to show up in period garb, or change when they get there, or just stay in their modern clothes? I guess I'm just too inhibited... I don't relish the idea of walking across a parking lot in tunic & tights. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for wearing the garb at campouts and feasts and such.

Also, any ideas for what to do with young children (preschool) when going to Arts & Sciences meetings? Leave them at home with a babysitter?

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-09, 02:35 PM
It may behoove you to note that the acronym stands for Society for Creative Anachronism.

Oh thank goodness. I thought this thread was about Sexual Compulsive's Anonymous, and was terribly confused.

Erloas
2009-03-09, 03:57 PM
I have a question - for the regular arts & sciences meetings, do people tend to show up in period garb, or change when they get there, or just stay in their modern clothes? I guess I'm just too inhibited... I don't relish the idea of walking across a parking lot in tunic & tights. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for wearing the garb at campouts and feasts and such.

Also, any ideas for what to do with young children (preschool) when going to Arts & Sciences meetings? Leave them at home with a babysitter?

Yes... some people will show up in garb, some will change into it there, and some people will not put any on. Of course those sorts of things also change by the area and the event. If it is simply a meeting then I wouldn't imagine most people put garb on unless they have some specific reason to such as having just finished it and wanting to show it off, giving a class on it, etc.

As for children, well that all depends too. I see kids at a lot of things, but if its going to be a class that kids have no interest in and they are just going to be a pain people try to find someone to watch them. At some of the classes they sometimes have classes specifically for kids so they can make things while their parents do other things.

It really all comes down to what is going on and how the local people like to handle things. Something like a Coronation you are likely to see very elaborate garb and few if any people in mundane cloths, and at small fighter practices you aren't likely to see anyone in anything but normal cloths or armor.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Show up however you feel comfortable and meet people and see how the locals like to do things and go from there.

As for walking around in garb, well it seems a bit weird at first, but once you've got it on and around other people you start to care a lot less about what people think. Its always fun to show up for lunch at a fast food restaurant by an event with a lot of people in garb because people don't know what to think. I've heard people ask if you are in a play, a lot of people don't say anything, some people think its interesting. I haven't heard of any confrontations, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some... that sort of thing always happens, not matter what you are doing. Of course most people aren't likely to get to confrontational when its not uncommon to have someone really big (and often carrying a sword) along with the group, since fighting tends to draw in large people.

Lorn
2009-03-09, 04:20 PM
Not in the SCA, but still do reenactment - Viking/Saxon/Normal period. The main difference is we do things for a show for normal people who don't find joy in lamping each other with axes. Currently in my fifth year of doing it. Weapons I am proficient in are the spear (using since I started) the knife/seax/scram/pigsticker (love this thing, it's practically a shortsword...) and the axe, which I've just started with but LOVE using.

We don't limit ourselves to combat, and generally have a lot of civilian crafts on in the background. I don't really do anything yet but am soon to start leatherworking - it's useful and not too hard.

As far as armour goes - if you're in England, go to a reenactment market. Not cheap, but you can often haggle and you can see stuff before you buy it. GDFB (Get Dressed For Battle) used to be pretty good but has gone downhill a bit recently as far as authenticity goes, and the helms are a bit... yeah. They don't realise that the human head is not round. Three reenactor markets I know of per year - two in Coventry (one in autumn, other I'm not sure) and one in York during Febuary.

Also, a huge difference I feel like pointing out between what I do and the SCA.. notably, battlefield stuff.

While most people try to keep an overall authentic look, no one really complains about someone starting in plastic armor, or having modern types of body armor under surcoats or tabbards. There are also a lot of people that use stainless steel and aluminum in their armor, which isn't authentic at all but it lasts a lot longer and requires much less maintenance.
We strive to keep authenticity everywhere the public will see. To clarify, let me describe the normal kinds of people you would see on a battlefield:

Newbie. Two handed spear, shield.
Not so newbie. Two handed spear, shield, knife.
Decently experienced. Two handed spear, shield, helm, knife.
My level. Two handed spear, shield, helm, knife, shortarm - sword or axe. I use an axe.
Guy at my level with too much time on his/her hands. Spear, shield, shortarm, knife, helm, chain shirt over gamby.
Sh'yeah, man. Daneaxe, shortarm, shield on back, helm, mail.

Basically, we make sure everything is authentic. Armour is reserved for people who know what they're doing - as a 20lb chain shirt is in itself a weapon.

We have pretty intense safety rules, though, and insurance, so nobody ends up seriously damaged... you can't move onto certain weapons without passing tests in others, for example.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-09, 04:54 PM
Thanks Erloas - good answers to my questions.

My impression is that authenticity in the SCA gets you cool points, but is not considered necessary.

Of course, in reenactor groups, strict authenticity is kinda the whole point! That requires a little more intellectual and financial investment than I'm willing to make right now but I could see myself in one of those groups some time in the future.

Sounds like everyone is strongly recommending only buying stuff once you've held it in your hands.