PDA

View Full Version : Problems Acessing the Site...server or computer?

SoD
2009-02-26, 07:12 PM
I have been having frequent problems with the site, and about 31.5% of the time the following comes up on the screen (spoilered for exesive size. It is a printscreen of my screen).

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/Super_Moppy/Untitled.jpg

This has been happening for a few weeks now...is the problem with the server, or the computer? I'd assume the computer, but it hasn't done it a single time on any other website, only on giantitp.

Has anyone else had this problem? How to fix it? Am I a fool? Answers to any and all most of these questions appreciated.

bluewind95
2009-02-26, 07:17 PM
That's... strange. I mean, the one where it times out is known and documented. I wonder if it's much the same.

On that topic... is that VBulletin message that says "Server too busy, please try again later" new? I didn't get it before and I get it now. Pretty neat, that, since it probably reduces strain on the server somewhat. I wonder if it's always been there or if it's just been added.

SoD
2009-02-26, 07:27 PM
That's... strange. I mean, the one where it times out is known and documented. I wonder if it's much the same.

Well, I also get the 'server is busy because so many people are on it, check back later' just after a new comic is put up. But the problem I've posted about happens all the time.

Douglas
2009-02-26, 08:11 PM
I think that's the Google Toolbar version of the standard timed out screen. It is exactly the same problem of too many users for the server that has spawned quite a number of threads in this forum already.

bluewind95
2009-02-27, 12:50 AM
Could be that. It does, after all, more or less appear about as often as a timeout.

SoD, why don't you install a second browser for a bit just to check what error that gives? One that doesn't have the Google toolbar?

SoD
2009-02-27, 09:38 AM
SoD, why don't you install a second browser for a bit just to check what error that gives? One that doesn't have the Google toolbar?

Because I primarily use my parents computer, as the old computer (my computer) is too slow to do anything on. And my parents don't trust me downloading stuff...thanks for that, and I'll keep it in mind when I get my own computer (yay for a subway income!).

Forum Staff
2009-02-28, 03:02 PM
Yes, the problem is server-based (or at least, there is a server-based problem in addition to any computer-based problem individual users may experience).

On that topic... is that VBulletin message that says "Server too busy, please try again later" new? I didn't get it before and I get it now. Pretty neat, that, since it probably reduces strain on the server somewhat. I wonder if it's always been there or if it's just been added.

It was implemented a few months ago, yes. It does reduce server strain somewhat, as serving the "Too busy!" message is less processor-intensive than accessing the forums.

Trixie
2009-03-09, 07:49 AM
By the way - yesterday I couldn't access the site for maybe six hours (or more, as I went to bed). The thing is, it wasn't the usual "Forums are down for whatever reason" or slow loading, but error 404, as if the site disappeared from the net.

Problem on the server or my end? :smallsigh:

Jack Squat
2009-03-09, 07:53 AM
By the way - yesterday I couldn't access the site for maybe six hours (or more, as I went to bed). The thing is, it wasn't the usual "Forums are down for whatever reason" or slow loading, but error 404, as if the site disappeared from the net.

Generally, I'll get a time-out error (as I was getting a lot yesterday - last night), but I've gotten general 404s, not the site (http://www.giantitp.com/404.html)'s. If you got a general white page one, it was a time out, if the latter, I have no idea.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-09, 07:55 AM

I had the same problem yesterday, so I would suspect the server. But what's odd is that normally there would be dozens of messages asking this question. :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 08:07 AM
But what's odd is that normally there would be dozens of messages asking this question. :smallconfused:

Not so odd; the forum staff are tired of hearing it. Most people realize by now that the server comes under heavy stress from time to time. There was a point last month when we had four or five topics in Board Issues all wondering what the heck was going on. Towards the last few, Roland's answer pretty much became "*facepalm* :smallsigh:" because they'd had to keep telling people who didn't look before posting.

bluewind95
2009-03-09, 08:49 AM
A 404 means the page couldn't be found, right? I would think that if the server crashes entirely, it should give an error like that. I think it gives the timeout error when it's just being slow.

As for the many topics that recently sprang up on this... I understand it can be frustrating, but... Every time someone posts a topic about the unavailable server, a mod cries. Please. Think of the mods.

Horatio@Bridge
2009-03-09, 12:44 PM
Man, when I saw that the site was down I got all excited because I figured that there was a new comic that was causing the problems. But when things come back up...no comic. :-(

It does make me wonder what did happen if it wasn't a traffic issue (or is it that normal traffic is now high enough to regularly crash the site? o.O!)

B-Man
2009-03-09, 03:20 PM
I think that the "Welcome back" message should re-include the message it did a year ago indicating that there was heavy traffic on the site and direct a link to a Forum Staff post on the situation. We'd have less of these threads in Board/Issues but it won't stop rapid-succession F5-bombs.

Trixie
2009-03-09, 04:45 PM
Man, when I saw that the site was down I got all excited because I figured that there was a new comic that was causing the problems. But when things come back up...no comic. :-(

It does make me wonder what did happen if it wasn't a traffic issue (or is it that normal traffic is now high enough to regularly crash the site? o.O!)

Yup, I wonder what happened, as the crash was highly unusual, and happened during the nominally lightest hours of load. :smallconfused:

Sophin87
2009-04-03, 09:00 AM
I hope digging up a month old thread doesn't constitute gravedigging. If so, I guess my alignment is shifting +1 to evil.

In any case. I want to let you know I'm having the same issues as the OP. When I'm using Windows Explorer with the Google Toolbar I frequently get an "Oops" page, which is becoming rather annoying rather fast.

I don't know if these errors are related to Google or to GiantITP, but this is the only site where I have these issues.

Zherog
2009-04-03, 09:51 AM
... but this is the only site where I have these issues.

If you find yourself saying this, 99.999% of the time the problem is server-side.

Lochar
2009-04-03, 03:27 PM
Actually, I have to applaud whatever's been done recently.

Two comic updates, and while I've occasionally gotten the won't load page, it's been up most of the time for me.