PDA

View Full Version : Spiked chain build?

mr.fizzypop
2009-02-26, 09:59 PM
I was reading OotS #216 recently and was wondering if someone had the exact list of feats for going about a spiked chain build?

Kroy
2009-02-26, 10:03 PM
The feats:
- Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain): To use the chain w/o penalties.
- Dodge: Prerequisite for next two feats.
- Mobility: Prerequisite for next feat.
- Spring Attack: For ability to move away and attack at the same time.
- Combat Reflexes: For multiple AoOs per round.

As for Half-Ogre, I'm not entirely sure, since I don't have whatever book that race is from, but I'd guess it is a low-LA way to be large size, giving him the reach he needs to pull off his tactic.

Zevox

Does this help?

mr.fizzypop
2009-02-26, 10:21 PM
yes, but I was looking for a more feat list level 1-20. If that exists.

Assassin89
2009-02-26, 10:32 PM
For the five feats listed:
1st level: Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Dodge(bonus feat)
2nd level: Mobility(bonus feat)
3rd level: Combat Reflexes
4th level: Spring Attack

The feats for the first three levels are interchangeable, but as Spring Attack requires a BAB of +4, it can only be taken at a fighter level of 4 or higher

Flickerdart
2009-02-26, 10:33 PM
yes, but I was looking for a more feat list level 1-20. If that exists.
The only feat with a prerequisite you can't meet at lvl 1 is Spring Attack, and +4 BAB gets that. So you can pretty much take those in any order you want. You can do:
1: EWP, Dodge (Fighter level), Mobility (Flaw), Combat Reflexes (Flaw)
2: -
3: Power Attack (because why not?)
4: Spring Attack (Fighter level)

So you're a 4th level Fighter 2/Any full BAB class 2. This also gives you PA (for damage) and real class features.

bobspldbckwrds
2009-02-26, 10:39 PM
somehow, i get the feeling that the point of this particular comic was missed

Graymayre
2009-02-26, 10:40 PM
I believe Player's Handbook 2 has a bunch of feats that will help Spiked chain wielders. One of the players in my campaign has a gestalt fighter/rogue that found a way to almost always flank with a spiked chain (vexxing flanker I believe it is called). There should be plenty more like that in there, I'll try to look them up.

Frosty
2009-02-26, 10:40 PM
The way the half-ogre was stopping Roy, I think Stand Still from the Expanded Psionics book was also involved.

Graymayre
2009-02-26, 10:53 PM
Ok,

First you can get

Vexing Flanker
Prereq: Combat Reflexes
Benefit: +4 on attacks when flanking

This allows you to get
Adaptable Flanker
Benefit: As a swift action, you choose to count as occupying any other space you threaten for purposes of determining flanking bonuses for you and your allies. You also occupy your current square for flanking an opponent. You must be adjacent to the target you are flanking.

In other words, a spike chain build with this can flank with himself, or allow any of the players surrounding an enemy to flank. God help your enemies if you have sneak attack.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-26, 11:14 PM
You want a spiked chain build? Here ya go:

Chains Fall, Everyone Dies
Half-Giant Ranger1/Fighter2/PsiWar3/Slayer9/Crusader1/Exotic Weapon Master3

In brief:

Expansion, augmented to two size categories. You are Huge size, wielding a Gargantuan Spiked Chain. You get an extra attack from Exotic Weapon Master, and you are also able to hit things with Concealment, as long as it is within your 30' reach. Crusader is for Thicket of Blades.

Feats as follows:

1st: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain, Track (bonus)
2nd: Combat expertise (Fighter Bonus)
3rd: Power Attack (Fighter Bonus), Improved Trip
4th: Improved Bull Rush (PsiWar Bonus)
5th: Combat Reflexes (PsiWar Bonus)
6th: Shock Trooper
9th: Robilar's Gambit
12th: Leap Attack

In effect, you charge in, max power attack, trading in for AC penalties. Manifest Psionic Lion's Pounce to get a full attack on a charge. You're doing over a hundred damage per hit. If this doesn't kill everything, then anything that does ANYTHING, including a 5' step, they also get smeared. Because it's not your turn yet, all bonuses and penalties from Power Attack still apply, so you are still doing over a hundred damage a swing...

snoopy13a
2009-02-26, 11:18 PM
What's funny about that particular comic is that neither the half-ogre or Roy know the AoO rules. The half-ogre attacks Roy twice with AoOs (once when Roy moves from 15' to 10' and the second when Roy moves from 10' to 5') when he would actually be limited to only one AoO for movement, combat reflexes or not. Now if Roy provokes two different AoOs such as moving from 15' to 10' and then tried a ranged attack at 10' away, the half-ogre would get two opportunties.

Improved Trip is a nice feat for spiked chain builds as it increases the chances of tripping an opponent (gives a +4 bonus) and gives a free attack if one succeeds.

Person_Man
2009-02-27, 10:51 AM
What's funny about that particular comic is that neither the half-ogre or Roy know the AoO rules. The half-ogre attacks Roy twice with AoOs (once when Roy moves from 15' to 10' and the second when Roy moves from 10' to 5') when he would actually be limited to only one AoO for movement, combat reflexes or not. Now if Roy provokes two different AoOs such as moving from 15' to 10' and then tried a ranged attack at 10' away, the half-ogre would get two opportunties.

Maybe the Half-Ogre had Hold the Line?