PDA

View Full Version : The Gamers 2

Eldariel
2009-02-27, 01:54 AM
I just recently saw The Gamers 2 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0447166/) (or The Gamers: Dorkness Rising), and I'll have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. For the uninitiated, the movie is about a bunch of D&D players with a DM who is trying to write their adventure into a story, but can't make progress due to writer's block and the fact that the party keeps dying. They decide to play the campaign again adding more players to balance out the difficulty. However, due to their reputation, the only player they manage to add is Cass's former girlfriend.

The DM then tosses a DMPC Paladin to the mix to keep the party of a munchkin, two doofuses & a newbie in a short leash and they're en route to seducing barmaids and...saving the world I suppose?

Just to be clear, the movie is a parody. Many of the jokes open up more easily to a D&D player (and the munchkin, true to his name, tries for rules abuse and fails), but it's hilarious even with no prior knowledge. Most of the movie is the gameworld acted out, although there's a healthy dose of "real world"-sections too.

So, who here has seen the movie? Your takes on it? Who's going to? I'd warmly suggest it to any friends of comedy and any D&D players. Good for a few chuckles & a unique view at gaming.

Rogue 7
2009-02-27, 02:53 AM
My gaming club saw it, and I was surprised how good it turned out to be. The OOC storyline was pretty interesting, the IC one wasn't bad, and it was funny. All leading up to a decent geek movie.

Zocelot
2009-03-01, 08:22 PM
It's availble for free on Youtube, so I watched it there and forwarded it to my friends. I'll buy it too, to support Dead Gentlemen.

Overall, I less than the first, but it was still very good. The jokes were slightly worse than the first, but the second definitely had more plot and story.

Dienekes
2009-03-02, 06:33 PM
Ehh Gamers, saw both they were great.

They really had some great lines.

"Aren't you forgetting something?
"Like what?"
"You're character's paralyzing fear of water."
"Oh yeah... AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

and of course.

"As if killing the bard impresses us."

Pendragonx
2009-03-07, 02:05 PM
i've seen both this and the first one. I thought they were awesome. Best DnD parody movies I think I've ever seen.

13_CBS
2009-03-07, 03:42 PM
Eh...it's not that great. I feel like they had a gold mine of comedy that they didn't quite get to mining.

There were a handful of amusing lines, but lots of other things just...felt flat. Not funny. Eh.

Zocelot
2009-03-07, 05:56 PM
The ending stretched on for too long, because of the need to wrap up the in character and out of character storylines.

Kato
2009-03-08, 05:29 AM
A friend pointed both parts out to me just this weak and... yeah, I liked it a lot, even as a non-player. Most of it was decent comedy even if there might have been some things which coud have been better.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone onterested in a decent parody.

Though... is there really no rule against sneak attacking with a siege weapon???

amuletts
2009-03-08, 10:08 AM
I thought the Gamers 2 was better than the first. The acting and direction were better imo.
After I saw the first one I wanted to try backstabbing with a siege weapon though. I have no idea if there is actually a rule against it, but if the DM says there isn't then there isn't!
"As if killing the bard impresses us" - my favorate line also.
How about "I will scramble the eggs of your evil with the spatula of righteousness!"

Corlindale
2009-03-08, 11:11 AM
I liked both movies, though I prefer the first one. I don't think they should've made such a great effort to make a more "serious" storyline in #2 - stuff like The Gamers seem to work best as pure comedy, and it feels as if the laughs were much more concentrated in the first installment (perhaps also due to it being shorter).

Both had some nice jokes and lots of great quotable lines. "As if killing the bard impresses us" would have to be my favourite in #2 as well, and the "overpowering fear of water"- scene from the first one is likewise fantastic.

Also really like the part in the first one when the new party wizard gets introduced ("Hello... I notice your group has no wizard..."), simply because it is such a spot-on parody of how most introductions of new characters play out in D&D:smallsmile:

I also really like the monk's various nonsensical monollogues in #2. Especially one I do not recall the entirety of, but which ends up with something like: "and all of the four elements combine to form the mysterious fifth element...Boron."
Every instance of bardic music is hilarious too, if only because of the bard's expression while he plays.

Zocelot
2009-03-09, 09:31 PM
The first movie seemed to be jokes about a D&D-esque game, while the second was jokes within a D&D-esque game.

Favorite moment from the first was the shot of the bandit getting cut in half, where it shows a pair of legs, then a torso fall beside it.

Favorite moment from the second was the Pirates/Ninjas. Or possibly the line "Hey baby, want to tune my mandolin"