PDA

View Full Version : The Worms of Yggdrasil [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 09:10 PM
Thorny Drifter
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d10+4 (15 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+6 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3) and Spines +0 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, spiny grapple
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +12, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Power Attack
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or rampage (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium), 7-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +1 (cohort)

Thorny Drifters are great, caterpillar-like beasts who make their home in the branches of the great, plane-spanning tree that is Yggdrasil. Though fearsome in appearance, they are, in their natural habitat, near the bottom of the food chain, causing them to be skittish and reclusive. Thorny Drifters that travel to other planes on the branches and roots of Yggdrasil, however, tend to seek out a habitat which they can dominate. Thorny Drifters resemble giant, bluish-green caterpillars about five to six feet long and two to three feet in girth. They have a set of fierce mandibles, and are covered in bright yellow, dagger-like spines, their bright colors a warning of their poisonous nature. Unlike their mundane cousins, Thorny Drifters do not undergo metamorphosis–or at least, if they do, no one has ever seen it, nor its result. A Thorny Drifter can be summoned with a summon nature’s ally I spell.

Poison (Ex)
Injury–Spines, Fortitude DC 13, initial and secondary damage 1d3 Con. The save DC is Con based.

Spiny Grapple (Ex)
A Thorny Drifter automatically hits with all attacks made with its spines while in a grapple.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 09:38 PM
Is that a Tales of Symphonia reference I smell? Or is that simply another thing that video games twisted to serve storyline purposes?

Anyway, I find it slightly mind-boggling that you, The Demented One, made a CR1 creature. Not only that, but a non-psionic CR1 creature(!) Make sure to tell whatever spirit possessed you and made this creature that it was very well done, and even surprisingly balanced for a CR1. Though poison is very rare among low challenge-rating monsters, but the damage is low enough so that it shouldn't matter, and the DC is enough essentially to be ignored at higher levels...so yeah, CR1 seems fair.

Wow, I'm still getting over it. I'm just waiting for you to make the undead swarm of these that you simply needed a base creature for. Well done, D1.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 09:53 PM
Is that a Tales of Symphonia reference I smell? Or is that simply another thing that video games twisted to serve storyline purposes?
Nope, Yggdrasil is part and parcel of D&D cosmology as of Planescape, which I happen to be a huge junky of.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 09:58 PM
Urm...sure...I know what that means.

*shifty eyes*

Totally.

SilveryCord
2006-09-12, 05:13 PM
What would the origins of the word Yggdrasil be anyway? I've heard that word TONS. Dragon Quest, ToS, DnD, I think even M:tG...

Flabbicus
2006-09-12, 05:44 PM
What would the origins of the word Yggdrasil be anyway? I've heard that word TONS. Dragon Quest, ToS, DnD, I think even M:tG...

You need to read some more Nordic Mythology.

storybookknight
2006-09-12, 05:53 PM
Yggdrasil was the World Tree, for a short explanation. Go check Wikipedia or something!

LordOfNarf
2006-09-12, 08:14 PM
Why did WotC throw a worl tree into a great wheel? Also, whats with the rivers that run between the planes? Cosmology has always made about 0 sense to me, the way WotC made it.