PDA

View Full Version : Base saves for an animal companion in DnD 3.5

theonesin
2009-02-27, 12:39 PM
I've tried looking around, but I still don't understand how to advance my animal companion's base saves. Help?

Eloel
2009-02-27, 12:41 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#animalType

Animal Type

An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.
Features

An animal has the following features (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* 8-sided Hit Dice.
* Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
* Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (certain animals have different good saves, for instance dire animals have good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves).
* Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits

An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
* Low-light vision.
* Alignment: Always neutral.
* Treasure: None.
* Proficient with its natural weapons only. A noncombative herbivore uses its natural weapons as a secondary attack. Such attacks are made with a -5 penalty on the creature’s attack rolls, and the animal receives only ½ its Strength modifier as a damage adjustment.
* Proficient with no armor unless trained for war.
* Animals eat, sleep, and breathe.

theonesin
2009-02-27, 12:45 PM
Yes, I have already read that. But it doesn't explain what it means to have "good" Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Douglas
2009-02-27, 12:50 PM
If you look at the save progressions of classes, you will notice that there are exactly two different progressions. 2 + level/2, and level/3. The former is the "good" progression, and the latter is the "poor" or "bad" progression. Just replace level with hit dice.

Edge
2009-02-27, 12:51 PM
A good save is one at full progression. For example, a Fighter has a good Fortitude save, and the Rogue a good Reflex save. Further detail can be found in the PHB page 22. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Damn ninjas...

PrGo
2009-02-27, 02:00 PM
Simply treat the animal as a ranger of same level for saves :smalltongue: