PDA

View Full Version : Roachlings

DoomedPaladin
2009-02-27, 03:44 PM
I've just bought my new issue of Kobold Quarterly (I prefer to hold it in my hands thankyousoverymuch) and within is an "indestructible" race called Roachlings. I've fallen in love with them just like I did when I first read about Kobolds back in the day. So much potential. I have written up designs for racial equipment and am planning on doing up a few feats too that I will then submit to the mag in the hopes that it'll get published for the use of all. Maybe just make them vermin specific rather than Roachling(racial), for the Thri-kreens and Diopsid (Dragon Compendium) players out there.

I've been thinking of a Vermin version of DragonWrought (Kobolds) for them. With that feat Kobolds gain the Dragon type, and Humanoid becomes their subtype I think, which gives them certain bonuses and serves as the base prerequisite for many of their other feats.

Is there a Vermin subtype? If not, what are the guidelines for designing one of my own?

kopout
2009-02-27, 07:30 PM
Could we see the Roachlings please? And just to add fuel to the fire, I'll present you with this base classhttp://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Vermin_Lord_%28DnD_Class%29 have fun:smallamused:

The Tygre
2009-02-27, 07:49 PM
Rock on, fellow Kobold Quarterling! I'm lookin' forward to whatever it is you turn out.

DoomedPaladin
2009-02-28, 09:44 AM
Here's their Racial Traits:

Roachlings are the creations of one Andrew Hind.

Str -2, Con +4, Cha -2
Small size
Base Speed 20ft
+1 Natural Armor bonus
+2 Racial bonus to Climb and Hide skill checks
+2 on Fortitude saves verses Poison and Disease
Darkvision 30ft
Tremorsense 30ft
Light Sensitivity: Dazzled in bright sunlight and within the radius of a Daylight spell
Favored Class: Rogue (I think it should have been Ranger or Scout)
LvlAdj +1

Thanks for the Wiki link kopout! Very useful.

I figure that since no one has any suggestions on what constitutes a subtype, I'll just have to guess.

How's this sound?

Chitinous Childe(Racial Feat):

Prerequisites: Character Level 1, Must be a Diopsid, Roachling, Thri-kreen, or some other Bug-like race that your DM approves.

You gain Vermin as a subtype. It grants you:

+2 against mind effecting spells and abilities.

Darkvision 30ft or +30ft if already acquired.

Additional +2 to saves verses Non-Supernatural Diseases and Poisons that are ingested.

May take 10 on climb checks, even when threatened.

Should I add any negatives? Seeing as how they're now closer to their completely mindless cousins. An additional hit to Cha or Int to represent a more simplistic mindset perhaps? Maybe Cha based skill checks? Mind you it'll cost them a feat to get this so that may be enough of a balancing factor in and of it's self.

kopout
2009-02-28, 06:33 PM
resistance to mind affecting should only be +2or +3 any more and a - to int would be a necessary side affect.

DoomedPaladin
2009-02-28, 06:59 PM
Thank you kopout. Feedback is appreciated.

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-28, 07:13 PM
Maybe you should rename your subtype, since there is already a Vermin type. At least something like Intelligent Vermin, so then Vermin (Vermin) would become Vermin (Intelligent Vermin) similar to the Construct (Living Construct) that Warforged have. Or else figure out what the bug-like version of Reptilian would be called.

Emong
2009-02-28, 09:42 PM
Maybe Insectoid as a name for the subtype?

DoomedPaladin
2009-03-01, 09:20 AM
Wouldn't Monstrous Humanoid (or just Humanoid) be their Type with Vermin (after taking this feat) a Sub-Type?

Just like Kobolds from the MM are Humanoids (Reptilian)? What are Thri-kreen?

I added a "Take 10 climb even under duress" but, I omitted the "keep your Dex while doing so." I figure most bugs have no problem climbing the walls, you mainly see them doing it when they're being attacked. They're still not so good at dodging your shoe while they're there though.

I'm thinking of making the bonus vs. poison any poison ingested rather than poisons that effect them only by being ingested. So a Roachling hit by a dart coated in a Contact or Injury poison will get a Racial +2 to it's Fort save, but if it steals the dart before it can be shot and eats it, it gets a +4 to it's save (but it still has to pass that dart later, ouch!). With this, a +4 total vs. disease and a awesome Con score (for Roachlings anyhow) one could literally eat filth off of the ground and not worry about regretting it later.

I'm going to add the Prerequisites for taking the feat. Race and 1st lvl, I think.