PDA

View Full Version : [3.X PrC] "String you up? What a marvelous idea..." [P.E.A.C.H.]

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-27, 03:44 PM
Mannikin Warrior

"Dance, puppets, dance!"
- Dilbert

Mannikin Warriors are a curious mix of the mundane and the supernatural, straddling the line where everyday utility meets paranormal problem solving. To many, they are surprisingly ordinary people, but to others their strange disciplines are fascinating and unique. The Mannikin Warriors themselves just grin and keep living their curious lives. Victims of soul-changing magics, Mannikin Warriors have split their soul into two whole, seperate beings, and it is from this union that they draw their strength.

Most Mannikin Warriors started as adventurers, and almost all of them were members of physically-oriented classes; fighters, rogues, and rangers are the most common entries into this prestige class. Members of full-progression spellcasting/psionic classes very rarely wish to give up their powers for the strange practices of this class, and classes such as paladins, knights, or barbarians generally don't have the on-the-spot creativity and mental flexibility necessary to master the arts.

Requirements
In order to qualify as a Mannikin Warrior, a character must meet the following requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Escape Artist 4 ranks, Perform (Puppet Theatre) 4 ranks, Use Rope 4 ranks
Feats: Improved Grapple
Special: The character must have had been subject to a power that removed or affected their soul, such as magic jar, trap the soul, or mind rape.

Mannikin Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Force Strings (Combat Manuevers), Twin Wills

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Dance Puppets Dance 1/encounter

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Force Strings (Unarmed Strike)

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Twin-Will Surge

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Force Strings (Movement)

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Twin-Will Vigor

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Force Strings (Skill Checks)

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Dance Puppets Dance 2/encounter

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Force Strings (Throw)

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|The Mannikin's Revenge[/table]

Hit Die: D8

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Perform (Puppet Theatre) (Cha), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex)
Skill points per level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Mannikin Warriors gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Force Strings (Su): The Mannikin Warrior's unique twin-souled nature forms the basis of their discipline; their other spirit shapes itself into strings of force that trail from the Mannikin Warrior's fingers. These strings are always present and clearly visible in a color of the Mannikin Warrior's choice. These strings have variable length - up to ten feet per class level long - and their length may be adjusted as a free action by the Mannikin Warrior. These strings may be dispelled by dispel magic or similar effects, but the Mannikin Warrior may simply re-create them as a free action at the beginning of his next turn. As force effects, the Mannikin Warrior may affect incorporeal beings with his strings. A Mannikin Warrior must have two free hands to use this ability.

At first level, the Mannikin Warrior is limited in how he may affect the world with his strings. He may make grapple, trip, and disarm attempts with them at range, without provoking attacks of opportunity. He recieves a -2 penalty to disarm attempts because of the semi-real nature of the strings, but all other manuevers are attempted normally (including the ability of the victim of a failed trip attempt to make a trip attempt against the Mannikin Warrior).

At third level, the Mannikin Warrior may make unarmed strikes at range using his strings. These are treated as normal unarmed strikes, including any enhancements from monk levels or spells such as magic fang. At the end of his action each round, the Mannikin Warrior chooses a space within his string's range (his own space is a valid option). He threatens squares as though standing in that space instead of his own (unless, obviously, his own space is the one he chose).

At fifth level, the Mannikin Warrior may use his strings to enhance his movements. He enjoys a constant +4 circumstance bonus to Jump checks, and never has to make Climb checks if he does not wish to - he merely pulls himself up with his force strings. If the Mannikin Warrior has at least five feet of space above his head and something to attach the strings to, he may swing through the air on them, ignoring difficult terrain. A Mannikin Warrior that has a nearby surface to attach strings to may always choose to catch himself if he falls, thus stopping the fall entirely.

At seventh level, the Mannikin Warrior may perform skill checks that involve tools - such as disable device, perform, or use rope - at a distance using his force strings.

At ninth level, the Mannikin Warrior's mastery of gross motor movements with his strings is complete. He may throw a creature grappled with his force strings, at a range increment of ten feet. Creatures hurled this way deal 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage (damage value given for a medium creature) to themselves and whatever they hit. If the creature is still within the Mannikin Warrior's string range when it is thrown, the Mannikin Warrior may attempt to re-establish the grapple as a free action.

Twin Wills (Ex): The Mannikin Warrior's body houses two souls - the original soul and an extension of it that has gained completeness. Though not sentient, it exists and is dependant on the Mannikin Warrior to survive. Its presence bolsters his will, granting him a +2 bonus on saves against Enchantment effects.

A creature using True Seeing sees the other soul superimposed on the Mannikin Warrior, pulling and tugging at his Force Strings in unison with his body. Attempting to commune with this soul only pulls up emotions and an intense feeling of devotion to the Mannikin Warrior. The second soul follows the Mannikin Warrior to the afterlife and continues to be attached to him for the rest of his existence; only the utter destruction of both will seperate them.

Dance Puppets Dance (Sp): Once per encounter, the Mannikin Warrior may use animate objects as cast by a sorcerer of his class level. This increases to twice per encounter at eighth level.

Twin-Will Surge (Su): As the Mannikin Warrior grows in power, he may tap into his other soul's energies more and more. Starting at fourth level, the Mannikin Warrior may tap into these energies once per day and grant himself a +4 enhancement bonus to strength and dexterity that lasts for an hour.

Twin-Will Vigor (Su): When he has to push himself beyond normal means, the Mannikin Warrior can let his other soul take over. Starting at sixth level, whenever the Mannikin Warrior is suffering from fatigue or exhaustion penalties, he may choose to ignore them. Furthermore, if he wishes to remain active while resting, he may let his other soul take over completely; when he does, he functions as normal, but with the following modifications: his base attack bonus is reduced to 1/2 of his character level, and he cannot use any skills that require intelligence or charisma. Resting this way takes much longer than normal rest - twelve hours. The Mannikin Warrior is visibly supported by his force strings when he uses this ability, and his movements are, well, puppet-like.

The Mannikin's Revenge (Sp): At tenth level, the Mannikin Warrior perfects his puppetry - he can take over the bodies of others. This functions like dominate monster, except that the save DC is 20+dexterity modifier and spell resistance does not apply. The Mannikin Warrior may use this ability once per day.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-01, 01:02 PM
I declare a bump - this is ready for P.E.A.C.H-ing

unosarta
2009-03-01, 06:16 PM
wow. this is awesome, and i am totally gonna steal it for my next character. i love the idea of a mind raped psychopath puppeteer :smallbiggrin:. one question, whats its HD, i cant seem to find them.

Owrtho
2009-03-01, 06:55 PM
Rather entertaining. Not sure about balance. Can the strings only come from their hands? I think it would be rather entertaining to see one pretend to be a life-size marionette hung from the ceiling or something similar.

Owrtho

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-02, 07:56 AM
Hit die has been added - the D8.

As for your idea, Owrtho, they can certainly do that with a Disguise check and their Force Strings (Movement) ability. If they wanna freak people out with it, they can use Twin-Will Vigor too.

Owrtho
2009-03-02, 06:17 PM
Fun, I could so see a villain doing that and pretending they're just some innocent guy being manipulated, then escape from/stab in the back the PCs when they fall for it.

Owrtho

SilentNight
2009-03-02, 07:44 PM
Gareth, I just want to say I love your homebrew. Always original and interesting. That said, seems a little bit on the powerful side to start, but not to cheeseable. I'd call it a success.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 07:51 AM
What makes it powerful in the beginning? PLEASE, enlighten me.

SilentNight
2009-03-03, 09:47 AM
I'm just saying at first glance it looks a bit more powerful than your average PrC. However, at least that I can tell, there's no abilities which scream broken if abused properly.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 11:10 AM
The only thing I'm really concerned about are builds using Reaping Mauler, but if you drop fifteen levels on your grapple build, you deserve it.

SilentNight
2009-03-03, 06:39 PM
Ooh, that's actually a really good idea. Yeah, I'm just saying easy to lightweight powergame, nigh impossible to break. Kudos again. If you want playtest data, I'm applying for a pbp game with this now.

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-07, 06:16 PM
Ooh, that's actually a really good idea. Yeah, I'm just saying easy to lightweight powergame, nigh impossible to break. Kudos again. If you want playtest data, I'm applying for a pbp game with this now.

I'd love some playtest data - and sorry it took me so long to reply!

razor1n
2009-04-08, 09:28 PM
Needs a limit on how many strings he is capable of producing, otherwise there will be multigrab/greater multigrab abuse with a grappler build. Otherwise an inventive and fun Idea :D