PDA

View Full Version : Aaron's staff[4e][incomplete]

Rockphed
2009-02-27, 04:50 PM
As I was reading the relevant passage in exodus last night, I realized that something that could utilize the plagues of Egypt would be a boss magic item. As such, I wrote out a list of the 10 plagues and the other thing that the stick did while in Egypt.

Firstly, it turned into a snake. I have no idea how to do this with 4th edition, though in 3rd edition it would simply be an activation and you have a snake on the battlefield.

Secondly, It was used to turn the river into blood. I have no idea what sort of combat(or non-combat) effects this would entail.

Thirdly, it summoned hordes of frogs. I was thinking this could be used to create some difficult terrain around the battlefield.

Fourthly, it summoned lice. An attack that does no damage, but gives the target a -1 to attack rolls seems appropriate. Probably a minor action.

Fifthly, it summoned flies. I was thinking this could make so some squares were offered concealment to people on the other side. This would apply to both sides.

Sixthly, it killed some cattle. Actually, right around here Moses and Aaron might have stopped using it, but I don't really care. I have no idea what sort of damage this should do.

Seventhly, it gave people boils and blains. Whether this was just a really bad case of acne or something like chicken pox, I don't know. My though was an attack that targets 1 person and does about 3d6 of damage. That number needs further consideration.

Eighthly, there was the Fire and Hail. This just cries out for an area effect attack. Probably a burst 3 that does fire and cold damage. Not sure how much damage it should do though.

Ninthly, there was a plague of locust. Again, I can't think of any good effects for this.

Tenthly, there was thick darkness. I don't know if an invisibility power or a darkness area would be better, but I like invisibility.

Finally, there was the destroying angel killing all the firstborn of Egypt. Again, I have no idea how to make this work.

Lastly, I am not sure what power level I want this to operate at. I was thinking an artifact, but am unsure even of that.

Mando Knight
2009-02-27, 05:48 PM
As I was reading the relevant passage in exodus last night, I realized that something that could utilize the plagues of Egypt would be a boss magic item. As such, I wrote out a list of the 10 plagues and the other thing that the stick did while in Egypt.

Firstly, it turned into a snake. I have no idea how to do this with 4th edition, though in 3rd edition it would simply be an activation and you have a snake on the battlefield.

Secondly, It was used to turn the river into blood. I have no idea what sort of combat(or non-combat) effects this would entail.

Thirdly, it summoned hordes of frogs. I was thinking this could be used to create some difficult terrain around the battlefield.

Fourthly, it summoned lice. An attack that does no damage, but gives the target a -1 to attack rolls seems appropriate. Probably a minor action.

Fifthly, it summoned flies. I was thinking this could make so some squares were offered concealment to people on the other side. This would apply to both sides.

Sixthly, it killed some cattle. Actually, right around here Moses and Aaron might have stopped using it, but I don't really care. I have no idea what sort of damage this should do.

Seventhly, it gave people boils and blains. Whether this was just a really bad case of acne or something like chicken pox, I don't know. My though was an attack that targets 1 person and does about 3d6 of damage. That number needs further consideration.

Eighthly, there was the Fire and Hail. This just cries out for an area effect attack. Probably a burst 3 that does fire and cold damage. Not sure how much damage it should do though.

Ninthly, there was a plague of locust. Again, I can't think of any good effects for this.

Tenthly, there was thick darkness. I don't know if an invisibility power or a darkness area would be better, but I like invisibility.

Finally, there was the destroying angel killing all the firstborn of Egypt. Again, I have no idea how to make this work.

Lastly, I am not sure what power level I want this to operate at. I was thinking an artifact, but am unsure even of that.

Turning the 10 Plagues into a magic item...
Definitely an Artifact, and since according to the source text Moses and Aaron were serving only as the "face" of their deity, I would heavily consider adding in the following property:
"Property: If you worship YHWH, you can use this staff as a holy symbol. It adds its enhancement bonus (but not its proficiency bonus) to attack rolls and damage rolls when used in this manner. If you do not worship YHWH, you do not benefit from this weapon's property and cannot use this weapon's power."
Note: יהוה, transliterated YHWH, Jehovah or similar; also The Name or He Who Is; is not a D&D Core deity, and thus not likely to be available as a deity to be worshiped in most campaigns. Consider replacing the prerequisite with one compatible with the campaign's pantheon.

Still thinking on how to implement the powers, but here's an idea on the Concordance...
{table=head]Starting Score|5
Owner attributes gaining a level to YHWH|+1d10
Owner can use at least one Divine Prayer|+2
Owner leaves a position of power to further YHWH's cause|+2
Owner uses the Staff to influence someone's attitude positively towards YHWH (maximum 1/day)|+1
Owner repents of a misdeed or evil act|+1
Owner or ally kills or destroys an evil creature (maximum 1/encounter)|+1
Owner does not worship YHWH (applicable 1/day)|-2
Owner intentionally harms a non-evil creature for non-survival purposes (maximum 1/encounter)|-2[/table]
Because of the artifact's direct link to divine power, not revering the being who supplies that power is a slight to the staff and its true master.

Rigon
2009-02-27, 07:07 PM
Okay. An artifact. Can work.

Question #1 "Must it do the functions in the proper order?"
Question #2 "Must it do the functions with an activation?"

1st Snake Mode: could be the "Moving on" form of the artifact. when it moves from one user to another it does it as a snake.

2nd River of blood: static illusion within 20 squares of the staff's wielder causing all water to look, taste, and smell like blood (illusion, wisdom or charisma vs will; weapon, implement, and divine keywords). while this makes no "big change" to combat it can be used to make vampires drink holy water. it can also be used to block everyone from taking a good rest (if you can't drink... well duh).

3rd Frog Swarm: no more river of blood. each creature which begins its turn withing 20 squares of the staff's wielder must make a saving throw. if failed then he grants combat advantage until the beginning of its next turn (constantly being hit by falling+jumping frogs and stepping on them makes it kinda like balancing).

4th Lice: no more frog swarm. creatures failing saving throws grant combat advantage and take 1 penalty to attack.

5th Flies: no more lices. creatures failing saving throws grant combat advantage and have obscured vision (-2 to attack for concealment).

6th Kill the cattle: no more flies. creatures must make a saving throw or be infected by a disease. Cattle and Minotaurus take -2 to their saving throws. first state "not eating", second state "toilet rush", third state "no sleep", fourth state "death".

7th Boils and blains: no more kill the cattle. disease. first state "as with lice", second state "eww skin + no regeneration", third state "death". wielder of this staff and his/her allies are unaffected.

8th Fire and Hail: no more boils and blains. area blast x within y. on hit does fire + cold damage.

9th Plague of locus: grant combat advantage, total concealment, plant creatures (crops too) are "dying" (3 failed saving throws means death to them). wielder of this staff and his/her allies are unaffected.

10th Thick Darkness: within range all natural and weaker magical illumination is gone (so darkvision/tremorsense is still on). wielder of this staff and his/her allies are unaffected.

Final Firstborn Slayer: i don't think we should add something like this. it kinda would make the staff evil.

every time the artifact increases its pleasedness you can choose to replace a the staff's power with a "later" power. i would say each power would be a daily power which lasts about an hour.

Rockphed
2009-02-27, 08:51 PM
Turning the 10 Plagues into a magic item...
Definitely an Artifact, and since according to the source text Moses and Aaron were serving only as the "face" of their deity, I would heavily consider adding in the following property:
"Property: If you worship YHWH, you can use this staff as a holy symbol. It adds its enhancement bonus (but not its proficiency bonus) to attack rolls and damage rolls when used in this manner. If you do not worship YHWH, you do not benefit from this weapon's property and cannot use this weapon's power."
Note: יהוה, transliterated YHWH, Jehovah or similar; also The Name or He Who Is; is not a D&D Core deity, and thus not likely to be available as a deity to be worshiped in most campaigns. Consider replacing the prerequisite with one compatible with the campaign's pantheon.

Okay, artifact does sound like a good plan. I wouldn't want more than one of these running around in a setting. The next question is what tier of artifact.

Still thinking on how to implement the powers, but here's an idea on the Concordance...
{table=head]Starting Score|5
Owner attributes gaining a level to YHWH|+1d10
Owner can use at least one Divine Prayer|+2
Owner leaves a position of power to further YHWH's cause|+2
Owner uses the Staff to influence someone's attitude positively towards YHWH (maximum 1/day)|+1
Owner repents of a misdeed or evil act|+1
Owner or ally kills or destroys an evil creature (maximum 1/encounter)|+1
Owner does not worship YHWH (applicable 1/day)|-2
Owner intentionally harms a non-evil creature for non-survival purposes (maximum 1/encounter)|-2[/table]
Because of the artifact's direct link to divine power, not revering the being who supplies that power is a slight to the staff and its true master.

That is a very awesome concordance table. The last item will curtail its use as a beat-stick on your party. :smallfrown:

@Rigon: I was thinking that it should be able to do most, if not all, of the powers on command. I think the powers should be dailies, with a limit on how many you can use a day. Then again, there is something thematically appropriate about being able to use them one at a time in order.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-27, 09:49 PM
I think I could help. Do you want it to be heroic, paragon, or epic-tier?

I would put it at "heroic +", or "suitable for characters of 6th level or higher", because that sounds about right for the overall power level of your setting (er, the Old Testament). Possibly low paragon, if you want.

Rigon
2009-02-28, 02:44 AM
@Rigon: I was thinking that it should be able to do most, if not all, of the powers on command. I think the powers should be dailies, with a limit on how many you can use a day. Then again, there is something thematically appropriate about being able to use them one at a time in order.

dailies already have a limit on them... as you can use only 1 daily item power per tier per day (or extended rest if you prefer that).
the thematic use limitation would be the following:
it approaches you as a snake. then it turns into and remains a staff.
first you can only use the river of blood.
if you use the staff then
1) if you please the staff power gets replaced with a higher power (if the staff would want to upgrade the firstborn killing angel power then it moves on and leaves behind a normal magical staff)
2) if your actions make the staff angry then the power is replaced with a lower power (if you "fail" using river of blood then the staff moves on).
each such replacement happens after an extended rest and the wielder knows it immediately.

also you might limit the "target" of each "area", "zone", or "aura" power to "non-believers", so you cannot target/affect faithful JHWH worshippers.