PDA

View Full Version : [Creature-MitP]The fire that burns twice as bright

fangthane
2006-08-30, 05:59 PM
Heck with it, if everyone else can be all cryptic on their subject, so will I. :)
I've based this race very loosely around one of the playable races in a favourite game (I won't say which because people would laugh hehe) but I think I've done, if not necessarily an ideal job, at least a capable job of adapting the flavour to D&D mechanics. That said, I present the Pyreling, who most certainly can burn out quickly if he's not careful.
Submitted for Monsters in the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87;start=0)

Pyreling
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple:+4/+6
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4+2) or longsword +6 melee (1d8+2)
Full attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+2) and bite +1 melee (1d4+1);
or 1 longsword +6 melee (1d8+2) and bite +1 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special attacks: Belch Acid
Special qualities: Acid immunity, Blindsight 5'(special), Cold Blood/Inner Fire, electrical/sonic resistance 5, fast healing 2
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills: Perform (singing) +6, Perform (percussion) +3, Listen +3, Tumbling +4
Feats: Dodge, Mobility
Environment: Warm plains, desert and underground
Ogranization: Solitary, Troupe (2-8 with bard), Enclave (2d10+10, with 1d6+2 bards , 1d4 clerics and 1d4 monks)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard coin, plus 2d4 Alchemist's Fire and 1d3 Cure Light Wounds potions (+1 bonus), less what the pyreling uses in combat
Alignment: Any neutral
Advancement: By class level
Level Adjustment: +3

Pyrelings are lizardlike humanoids roughly 9 feet long measured from snout-tip to the end of a 5 foot tail, which is used as a counterbalance as they walk and fight. They generally stand between 4 and 5 feet in height; adult males weigh roughly 220lb and females roughly 240lb. Their facial features, almost reminiscent of dragons, have led some to question whether there may be some shared heritage, as has their ability to spit acid. They have a profound love for their own music - mainly chanting and singing with a stamped- or drummed-out beat - and an appreciation of that of other cultures, often providing an excuse for diplomatic overtures. Due to their neutral tendencies and imposing physical capability, pyrelings are often selected to assist in sensitive or dangerous negotiations.
Combat
Pyrelings in combat are canny foes, often stocking up on items which enable them to manage their Inner Fire ability. Common tactics include quaffing alchemists' fire and attempting to wound enemies quickly prior to belching a line of acid; dodge and mobility, in addition to the pyreling's potentially blinding speed and tumbling, are effectively leveraged to avoid flanks and protect against attacks of opportunity.

Belch Acid (Ex) - 3 times per day, the pyreling can belch forth and spit a jet of vitriolic acid which deals massive damage to a single opponent within 30 feet. The acid deals 1d4 damage for each of the pyreling's HD, and a successful reflex save (DC 10+1/2 pyreling HD+con modifier) halves the damage. If the acid damage dealt kills the initial target, it melts that target (50% of non-gold, non-gem, non-magical items destroyed, 10% chance of destroying any non-artifact magic items) and strikes another immediately behind the first, so long as that target is in line and within 30 feet of the pyreling. Any such additional targets sustain 1d4 less than the previous victim. After belching acid, the pyreling must wait a minimum of 2d4 rounds before doing so again. Further, any use of Belch Acid requires the pyreling to consume an additional meal's rations (per use) within 2 hours or become fatigued until sufficient food has been consumed.

Blindsight 5' (special) (Ex) - Being cold-blooded, pyrelings are well-tuned to the temperatures around them and benefit from 5 foot Blindsight with respect to any warm- or cold-based creature, any creature with an aura affecting temperature, and any living non-plant.

Cold Blood/Inner Fire(Ex) - Pyrelings receive no direct damage from fire but absorb it to fuel their Inner Fire. Each 5 points of fire damage absorbed in this manner (or 2 from internal exposure such as drinking alchemist's fire) raises Inner Fire by 1 point. At no time may a pyreling receive benefits from an Inner Fire value greater than its hit dice, although negative effects continue to accrue. Any cold damage received reduces Inner Fire by 1 point per point of damage; if Inner Fire is 0 and additional cold damage is received, the pyreling becomes torpid and is affected as if slowed for 1 minute per 5 points of cold damage. Any single heat-based effect dealing 5 or more points cancels the torpor. At any time while under the influence of Inner Fire, a pyreling may make a full-round action to reduce his Inner Fire by an amount equal to his Constitution modifier + 1 (minimum 1).
Sufficient Inner Fire grants an enhancement bonus to dexterity, extra speed and extra attacks as part of a full attack action, but also deals potentially-crippling damage to the pyreling. It receives an enhancement bonus to dexterity, an increase to its base speed and additional attacks (as indicated in the following table) according to its hit dice or its Inner Fire total, whichever is lower. It also receives internal trauma damage from attempting to contain so much heat; every round it sustains the amount defined in the table for its Inner Fire total. Effects which redirect or prevent damage are unable to redirect or prevent this damage, however it may be healed normally.

{table] Inner FireDex Bonus Speed Bonus*Attacks**Damage
1-3----

4-7+2+15 ft+12
8-12+4+25 ft+25
13-18+6+35 ft+310
19++8+45 ft+415
[/table]

*Additions to speed also affect fly speed so long as the means of flight is based on the pyreling's physical speed (i.e. physical wings); they do not affect fly speed granted by a spell or similar effect.

**Extra attacks are taken at a -2 penalty and follow the progression of a character's normal attacks, beginning with the highest. Extra attacks beyond the first depend on having a base attack bonus high enough to qualify for the additional attacks, i.e. a pyreling with a base attack of +5 or less cannot take a second extra attack even if she qualifies for the 8-12 range. Use of an offhand or two-handed weapon reduces the number of additional attacks granted by half (round down)

Pyreling Society
Pyreling society is mainly focused around music, and in the course of seeking broader musical variety many pyrelings end up visiting other cultures. Due to the race's natural aptitude for diplomacy, such cultural explorers are often retained for negotiations and serve ably in such posts.
Their society is an egalitarian meritocracy; those best suited to lead a group at any given time naturally make decisions which are followed by the group. Neither males nor females have particular ascendancy, and outsiders are hard-pressed to tell the genders one from the other.
Pyrelings with religious convictions typically worship deities associated with music or with knowledge.

Pyrelings as characters
Pyreling leaders tend to be bards and clerics. Pyreling clerics may worship virtually any deity but generally worship deities associated with music and knowledge, magical or otherwise.

Pyreling Traits (Ex): Pyrelings possess the following racial traits.
- +4 strength, +4 dexterity, +2 constitution and +2 charisma
- A Pyreling's base land speed is 30 feet.
- Blindsight out to 5 feet (thermal only)
- Racial Hit Dice: A pyreling begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A pyreling's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 X (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb, Listen and Spot.
- Racial Feats: A pyreling's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- +4 natural armor bonus
- Special Attacks (see above): Belch Acid.
- Special Qualities (see above): Acid immunity, Blindsight 5'(special), Cold Blood/Inner Fire, electrical/sonic resistance 5, fast healing 2
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Orc
- Favored Class: Bard
- Level adjustment +3

I just know I'll have forgotten something silly and have to go back to the drawing board, but if I never post it I'll never know will I? :)
Dangit, posted and immediately spotted that I'd forgotten to halve the bite's strength bonus to attack.
Edited to reduce movement speed benefits, amend attacks and increase per-round Inner Fire burn penalties slightly as well as adjusting to account for two-weapon and two-handed fighting.
Edited, adjusted and made a table to make things a bit more legible.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-30, 07:38 PM
Wow, very nice originality here. Drinking alchemist fire for extra damage? Sweet. What I don't understand is why does the pyreling gain extra dexterity and speed for being boiling hot on the inside? I imagine you're thinking of it being some form of Super Adrenaline, but that would really result in a gain of strength in my opinion, but speed seems reasonable if insanely overpowered. 30 feet for two damage a turn, that's balanced in its own right, without even counting the other bonuses. also, why does the full attack include only one claw?

Great idea, just needs some polishing. We'll talk about the MitP vote after you break out the rag and windex.

fangthane
2006-08-30, 10:05 PM
The haste factor is actually the core of what I wanted to achieve really, but I recognise that it can be overpowered potentially - that's why I've limited Inner Fire to the extent of hit dice. I'm not against reducing the extent to which subsequent categories increase the pyreling's run speed though, as I can appreciate that there's nothing moving that fast... Essentially, though, the idea behind the haste effects is that the Pyrelings' cold-blooded nature is stimulated by heat but that heating their tissues to that extent, while not directly damaging, does potentially crippling damage if not mitigated.

As to the claw, consider that another whoops on my part - I'd forgotten when I did that part that natural attacks are standardised like that :)

You do make a good point though, while 30 is reasonable enough a pyreling running at 100 feet per second is a bit much even if he IS level 19+.

I should probably also specify that the extra attacks can only be taken with the main hand using a weapon of the pyreling's size category or smaller now that I think on it - otherwise it potentially allows for Greatsword abuse...

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-30, 10:23 PM
Whoa. This is nifty. I was actually thinking earlier about creating a cold-blooded template that would be applied to various animals and such, and you have some really good ideas for that sort of thing. If I do actually create said template, I may have to borrow a few of your ideas. ;D

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-30, 11:37 PM
Here, have this: MitP Vote: Yes.

LordOfNarf
2006-08-31, 01:36 AM
Looks pretty good, though a CR 4 monster with ECL 9 seems like the balance went wack somewhere, LA +1 or +2 should be plenty, it dosent really superceed its hit dice much in power.

MitP vote Yes

fangthane
2006-08-31, 04:11 PM
Not that I don't appreciate the Aye vote (because I, like everyone, love the adulation of my fellow persons) but that's not how (at least in my understanding) level adjustment works...

Level adjustment, as far as I'd always understood and used it, is an adjunct to ECL for players using a race or template - effectively, class level + LA = ECL. Now, if I've misunderstood that and it should instead be stacked on monster HD (CL+HD+LA=ECL) then it'll need to be reduced a bit to account for the 4d8 hit dice.

The intent, at any rate, is that a first class-level PC who takes a pyreling does so as a 6th-level character; given what the SRD says (just had a look before posting this) it looks like I do need to subtract his HD though, so I'll patch that - consider me skuled. :)

Maerok
2006-08-31, 10:31 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Fizban
2006-09-01, 11:55 PM
I'm thinkin that with acid immunity and fast healing 2 , this thing has more than a +1 LA, even with 4 hit dice.

fangthane
2006-09-02, 06:41 PM
Hehe :P I was already leaning in the direction of possibly giving him a +2 on the Adjustment; you're right, that adds far too much to a PC's arsenal to be justified by only a +1, especially when coupled with extra attacks and mobility (since obviously an intelligent pyreling is not going to burn out if he can avoid it)

Leperflesh
2006-09-12, 06:10 PM
Cool ideas here. As with all new races of humanoids, they deserve more elaboration on their culture and habits, but, you've got enough already for me to give you
MitP Vote: Yes.

Well done

-Lep