PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Making the Pseudo-Jedi

Shadow_Elf
2009-02-27, 10:40 PM
So, I see people all the time asking to make a Jedi. People either say "play a Swordmage" or "homebrew it". But "playing a Swordmage" doesn't reflect all of their cool force powers. And Homebrewing It is a lot of work. Which is why I thought of this build randomly when I was bored.

Base Class: Wizard
Race: Human, Eladrin, Githyanki, Shadar-Kai

Stats:

STR - 6th Priority
CON - 2nd Priority
DEX - 3rd Priority
INT - 1rst Priority
WIS - 3rd Priority (I'll explain)
CHA - 5th Priority

Implement Mastery: Staff of Defence

Feats:

Level 1: Weapon Proficiency: Longsword (unless Eladrin)
Level 2: Armor Proficiency, Leather
Level 4: Multiclass Swordmage
Level 6: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 8: Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades
Level 10: Retrain at Level 11
Level 11: Second Implement, War Wizardry
Fill the rest with useful racial feats, power swap feats and stuff like Hide Prof (if you can manage it), as well as any other feat that strikes your fancy.

Okay, you now have the basics of the Jedi Build. Your Paragon Path (if you haven't already guessed) is Wizard of the Spiral Tower (PHB). You'll take INT (all your attacks rolls), CON (staff of defence, Swordmage secondaries), and then either Wis or Dex, followed by the other one. Wis for Thunderwave and Orb of Imposition (Second Implement), Dex for that extra attack boost every once in awhile (Wand of Accuracy) your sword acts as a Staff, a Heavy Blade, and a Wand/Orb for the purposes of Implements.

You go in, mark some stuff, and then get on the nerves of w/e you mark by thunderwaving (Force Pushing) them all over the place. If your DM is okay with letting you take a Power Swap At-Will homebrewed feat, you can trade in a Wizard At-WIll for Lightning Lure (Force Lightning + Force Pull, in one handy package!). Pick any powers that fit thematically with your character. Your Will Defence is allowed to suck, because anything that attacks it is censored. Have fun.

So, Thoughts? Does it need more details? I don't have time for a blow-by-blow, and a lot of it is up to personal style, but I could make it a bit more specific if necessary.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-27, 10:54 PM
Hmm... I think a martial base would serve you better. Don't jedi generally restrict themselves to force pull, force push, and acrobatic (-ish) martial maneuvers?

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-27, 11:08 PM
Further thoughts...

For your typical jedi, say Qui-Gon (can you guess I'm not a huge Star Wars geek?), I would probably go with a githyanki one-handed ranger (yes, it is possible). Add multiclass feats to taste.

Jokes
2009-02-27, 11:11 PM
Also, grab a masters wand of Magic Missile to Force Push from further away.

Whenever I use Diabolic Grasp (warlock) I can't help but think of Force Choke.

"I find your lack of minions disturbing." *slam*

Alteran
2009-02-27, 11:37 PM
...your sword acts as a Staff, a Heavy Blade, and a Wand/Orb for the purposes of Implements.

Remember, Wizard of the Spiral Tower only lets you use a longsword as one arcane implement. If you have more than one kind of implement mastery, the sword still only counts for one of them. I'd say staff is probably the most jedi-like. I also think that this is less of a Jedi thing and more of a force adept thing, since weapons are secondary. If you can houserule in an at-will power swap feat this would work better, but it still seems like the sword (lightsaber) would be secondary.

If you're looking for a particularly force-attuned Jedi who does use force powers more than his lightsaber, I think this would be perfect.

Asbestos
2009-02-28, 11:53 AM
Wait, how are you marking things again?