PDA

View Full Version : 4e- Brash Assault

Asbestos
2009-02-27, 10:54 PM
Brash Assault is an odd power since its worthwhileness (wow, that's a word?) is dependent on how the DM plays the enemy, this sort of lumps it in with the Frenzied Berserker PP capstone power in terms of usefulness. If the DM plays his/her monsters in an optimized and gamist sort of way, then the monsters will never attack (unless perhaps they do extra damage when they have combat advantage and the party does not contain a rogue) as it is a suboptimal choice. My question is, monsters know when they are marked, but does the monster know that attacking the Warlord that just used Brash Assault will immediately open it up to an attack? Sure, the DM knows this, but does the monster. Sort of a zen question I guess.

The same goes for the Frenzied Berserker daily attack power. Yes, having the monster take the free attacks is potentially suboptimal, but it does go with flavor of the 'rage pouring over to the enemy', so... stick to the spirit or stick to doing things optimal?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-27, 11:25 PM
Could you post a brief description of said power? I think I remember what it is (trading Basic Attacks), so I'll respond:

Generally speaking, your DM should play his monsters like living creatures, instead of models in a tactical fighting game. If he is playing with unreasonably optimal tactics, then you are going to be at a disadvantage no matter what power you're using. It is as bad for a DM to meta-game as it is for a player to, so try not to do it.

Personally, I'd love to see Brash Assault using against the BBEG's Captain of the Guards :smallbiggrin:
Barbarian: I, Taktos the Unbowed challenge you to a man's fight! *slash*
Captain: Argh. *whack*
Barbarian: Good! But can you take another? *slash*
Captain: Ah, screw this!
Barbarian: Is that it? My great aunt has taken worse herding goats! Perhaps you'd like a shawl and a cup of tea instead?
Captain: *glower* *whack*
Barbarian: :smallbiggrin:

Asbestos
2009-02-27, 11:54 PM
Brash Assault Warlord Attack 1
Your bold lunge leaves you open to an enemy’s counterattack,
but that’s just what you want.
At-Will ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.
Effect: The target can make a melee basic attack against
you as a free action and has combat advantage for the
attack. If the target makes this attack, an ally of your
choice within 5 squares of the target can make a basic
attack against the target as a free action and has combat
advantage for the attack.

And... the Frenzied Beserker power...

Final Confrontation Frenzied Berserker Attack 20
Your fury spills over to your foe, locking the two of you in
a lethal duel.
Daily ✦ Primal, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Effect: Before the attack, if the target is marked,
that condition ends on it. It can then make a
melee basic attack against you as a free action.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 7[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: After the attack, you can allow the
target to make a melee basic attack against
you as a free action. If the target makes that
attack, you can make a melee basic attack
against it as a free action. You can repeat
this effect until the target chooses not to
make the attack.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-28, 12:01 AM
Wait, what DM wouldn't take a free attack with CA just because the baddie might get hit with a basic attack? That's the same kind of logic that makes you never disregard a Mark :smalltongue:

But yes, Final Confrontation was what I was thinking of. Man, I think that's the most awesome power ever, even if it is Awesome But Impractical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical) :smallbiggrin:

Asbestos
2009-02-28, 12:10 AM
Yes, but if there's a rogue around the net return sucks. ... Actually, since he can only sneak attack 1/round it doesn't really matter. But it's a big discussion over at WotC (or was, forgot the thread age)

Rockphed
2009-02-28, 12:45 AM
But yes, Final Confrontation was what I was thinking of. Man, I think that's the most awesome power ever, even if it is Awesome But Impractical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical) :smallbiggrin:

Any DM that doesn't return fire for every good insult the player comes up with is doing it wrong.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-28, 02:35 AM
Any DM that doesn't return fire for every good insult the player comes up with is doing it wrong.

Reminds me of the Inspirational Warlord I always wanted to play:
Rogue: Gah, I'm hurt bad. Falling back!
Warlord: Are you now? Gonna hang back with the Wizard, maybe have a little tea party? If you wait a bit, I can get you some nice pink ribbons for your hair too.
Rogue: . . .
Warlord: Oh, did I hurt your feelings? Well, I'd apologize, but I'm too busy hacking up these goblins. Now do you want to sulk, or are you going to get back here?
Rogue: I am going to stab you in your sleep *Inspirational Boost*

Asbestos
2009-02-28, 02:42 AM
Reminds me of the Inspirational Warlord I always wanted to play:
Rogue: Gah, I'm hurt bad. Falling back!
Warlord: Are you now? Gonna hang back with the Wizard, maybe have a little tea party? If you wait a bit, I can get you some nice pink ribbons for your hair too.
Rogue: . . .
Warlord: Oh, did I hurt your feelings? Well, I'd apologize, but I'm too busy hacking up these goblins. Now do you want to sulk, or are you going to get back here?
Rogue: I am going to stab you in your sleep *Inspirational Boost*

Reminds me of some ridiculous inspiring I encountered. My Wizard set off a pit trap and he and the Warlord both start falling. My Wizard selfishly uses Featherfall on himself. At the bottom of the pit is another room full of goblins, time to roll initiative. Well, I floated down and the Warlord fell flat on his ass, but because I could see and hear him... I get a bonus to my initiative because he's so damn inspiring. The joke at the table was that yes, he was inspiring my Wizard... to not be like him.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-02-28, 02:56 AM
Reminds me of some ridiculous inspiring I encountered. My Wizard set off a pit trap and he and the Warlord both start falling. My Wizard selfishly uses Featherfall on himself. At the bottom of the pit is another room full of goblins, time to roll initiative. Well, I floated down and the Warlord fell flat on his ass, but because I could see and hear him... I get a bonus to my initiative because he's so damn inspiring. The joke at the table was that yes, he was inspiring my Wizard... to not be like him.

My favorite party boost is the Half-Elf Diplomacy bonus; whenever I go to pick up chicks, I always get a Half-Elf wingman :smallbiggrin:

That actually happened in one game. The party fighter was picking up a chick at the bar, so our half-elven wizardress walked within 25 feet of him and sat down. Turned out well, even though the chick turned out to be a Succubus. :smalltongue: