PDA

View Full Version : My friend needs help

Origomar
2009-02-27, 11:00 PM
My friend and i are going to have someone we know help us play dnd and hes trying to figure out what class he should be.

basically what he wants to be is a person specialized in spears and an off weapon sword that can jump very high. he also wants a pet dragon but im not sure if that would be fair im just wondering if there are any other classes that have like what the druid has like so the pet would scale with level and not be too OP and what his class should be.

graymachine
2009-02-27, 11:06 PM
Eh... What level are you starting at? What are the specifics of the game? A "pet dragon" would require him being a high level wizard with a high number of specific feats.

RTGoodman
2009-02-27, 11:07 PM
Off-hand, a Warblade might be a good choice. His powers will work with either weapon he uses, and he can even switch out feats (Weapon Focus, whatever) if he needs to. Give him max ranks in Jump, Power Attack, and maybe Leap Attack, and then those martial maneuvers that utilize jumping. For extra "oomph," add in the Leap of the Heavens feat from (I think) Complete Adventurer.

As for a dragon companion, that probably just won't work for D&D. What you COULD do, though, is give him the Wild Cohort feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and let him pick some kind of lizardy critter that you can just call a dragon.

How's that sound?

EDIT: That is, of course, advice for 3.x D&D. If you're playing 4th, just play a Ranger using the Martial Power supplement to give him a "lizard" Beast Companion that he calls a dragon. He can still use Weapon powers, too, which will be fine.

Lupy
2009-02-27, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the playground. :smallsmile: For future reference, proper capitalization makes your posts look more intelligent. :smallwink:

As for your friend, is this third or fourth edition?

I don't know what he would do in third (ranger or fighter perhaps?), but in 4e he would be a two weapon fighting ranger with a good score in Athletics. As for the dragon, the DM will need to houserule that.

Have fun!

Origomar
2009-02-27, 11:11 PM
Ah sorry i didnt mean he would dual weild i mean he would use a spear most of the time and a sword like if he ever was not able to use his spear or his spear just wasnt practical in a situation.

oh and also i don't mean a fully grown dragon as a pet i mean a small one and it grows up as he levels or something.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-27, 11:12 PM
In 3.x, Tome of Battle gives the Warblade. Focus on Tiger Claw, and he's a jumping psycho. Toss in Stone Dragon and it doesn't matter what weapon he uses, because he deals godlike damage anyways.

As for the Dragon Cohort, that's not easy. It generally requires either Paladin 5+Feat, Arcane casting+2 Feats, or Druid 5+Feat. There may be a combo involving Leadership with a feat from Draconomicon, but I'm AFB and it's been awhile, sorry.

Bulwer
2009-02-27, 11:53 PM
These people are all being way too pessimistic.

The feat Dragon Steed from the Draconomicon has prereqs of: Cha 13, Ride 8 ranks, and the language Draconic. You can hit that at 5th level if Ride is a class skill for you.

It gets you a "dragonnel," which is a Large Dragon that looks somewhat horselike.

SoD
2009-02-28, 12:00 AM
As he's just starting out, and wants to go (mainly) spear, I'd reccomend a fighter, plain and simple. It's the most simple class there is. Otherwise, consider other melee classes, barbarian or swashbuckler would be the next simple classes.

I do, however, assume 3.5e.

Flickerdart
2009-02-28, 12:12 AM
As he's just starting out, and wants to go (mainly) spear, I'd reccomend a fighter, plain and simple. It's the most simple class there is.
Except that it needs a lot of optimization to do anything. Barbarian is a better beginner class, IMO. Swashbuckler is underwhelming, and people mostly just dip 3 into it and Daring Outlaw to Rogue.

Spears aren't that great weapons, honestly. I suppose if he was a Druid he could use one, and make his Animal Companion a Dragon somehow (Polymorph Any Object?)

Starbuck_II
2009-02-28, 12:17 AM
Except that it needs a lot of optimization to do anything. Barbarian is a better beginner class, IMO. Swashbuckler is underwhelming, and people mostly just dip 3 into it and Daring Outlaw to Rogue.

Spears aren't that great weapons, honestly. I suppose if he was a Druid he could use one, and make his Animal Companion a Dragon somehow (Polymorph Any Object?)

I agre, Barbarian is a simple class:
Step 1) Have good Str/Con
Step 2) Have 2 handed weapon to kill things (like a spear/Longspear)
Step 3) Rage
Step) Profit.

Fighter:
Same Step 1-2, but then you have step 3= find a feat that is both useful and worth it.

Because Fighter's don't get class features just feats. Too easy too pick bad feats (like Toughness).

SoD
2009-02-28, 12:19 AM

I never claimed that any of the three were overpowered, only that they were simple to play. Fighter could be a perfectly fine class, with a spear, if his party members are suitably unoptomised. Fighter could be fine with a spear if the party is optomised (as long as the player doesn't mind not being as effective in combat, but if he enjoys his time roleplaying, who cares?).

Starscream
2009-02-28, 12:57 AM
Dangit, a week ago I had a homebrewed way to do the dragon thing, but you caught me just after cleaning out my hard drive of stuff I didn't think I'd ever need.

Basically it was a pseudodragon that eventually grew up into a wyvern. Shouldn't be too hard to work out something like that.

Or, as previously suggested, take Dragon Mount. There is also a Dragonrider prestige class which isn't hard to get into.