PDA

View Full Version : Riots in Melbourne?

Felixaar
2009-02-28, 05:51 AM
So, theres a crowd of people infront of my backpackers with flares and they're all wearing blue. They're chanting something but I can't tell what.

I think they found out I'm staying here? I dunno...

A cop told me I should be fine as long as I'm not wearing red. So... they're hunting communists, then? I think we're about five or six decades late here...

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

averagejoe
2009-02-28, 06:00 AM
Perhaps it's the A-league football (I guess you call it over there) championship win over Adelaide that happened tonight? Their team wears red.

Be careful and stay safe.

Edit: To clarify, it's Melbourne who beat them. Their team wears blue.

Lord Mancow
2009-02-28, 06:45 AM
AverageJoe is probably right. Not that I really care for football anyway.

Cricket on the hand......

Felixaar
2009-02-28, 06:47 AM
No, we call it Soccer here... Assuming you're talking about the low scoring game with goalies and nets and hot tubs full of swimsuit models.

...What were we talking about again?

Oh, yeah.

...So this is a Soccer Riot? I don't know wether to feel nostalgic or disgusted. I'm gunna try for a healthy mix of both.

averagejoe
2009-02-28, 06:53 AM
AverageJoe is probably right. Not that I really care for football anyway.

Cricket on the hand......

Oh, I don't really care much for it either. I only found this after scanning the Melbourne news sites hoping for news of the riots, noticing this happened, and then looking up the colors of the teams and finding they matched those in Felix's description.

Plus, I live pretty near Oakland. Raider's fans are absolutely horrible. I don't pay much attention to American football, but I really dislike that team simply because of its fans.

Hazkali
2009-02-28, 06:57 AM
I heard somewhere that fans of a particular team are more likely to riot/cause trouble if their team has won, which always struck me as bizarre.

Felixaar
2009-02-28, 07:01 AM
Anything for a riot, eh? :smallconfused:

Neithan
2009-02-28, 07:34 AM
...and hot tubs full of swimsuit models.
That's not how we play it here. :smallbiggrin:

There are some fans who riot after about every game, they actually think about banning their teams from the leagues.
But it's not really about the teams. These are people wo want to riot, and ne a banner to flock to. Could be a football team, anarchism, globalization hate, ...
It really doesn't matter as long as there's a crowd and it's likely that there will be cops around.

Felixaar
2009-02-28, 07:56 AM
Here, either. I guess it was just wishful thinking :smalltongue:

Anuan
2009-02-28, 08:20 PM
Did they look like sporting fans or like idiots?
Apparently the Crips and Bloods have hundreds of members in every western country, even here.

bookeater
2009-02-28, 09:06 PM
Seems to be happening more and more every year.Most of the time it's just F-wits kicking on with soccer as an excuse.

I the way I see it you've got(or has by now) two options. Baton down the hatches and ride it out or get dressed in your heaviest clothing,put a mouthguard in and get in there.

Hope you enjoyed yourself either way.:smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-02-28, 09:12 PM
Did they look like sporting fans or like idiots?

Now how the hell am I supposed to tell the difference?
:smalltongue:

also: We're not a western country, doofus.

Lupy
2009-02-28, 10:32 PM
Now how the hell am I supposed to tell the difference?
:smalltongue:

also: We're not a western country, doofus.

You are in all but Location!

Anyway, just stay indoors, and if they try to break in, throw every d4 you can find under their feet.

Anuan
2009-02-28, 10:36 PM
I'm sure Felixaar is just being pretentious, and knows I was talking about us living in a Westernised society despite our location. On that note, is the term Australasia defunct now?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-02-28, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I first thought of Crips and Bloods. While Vancouver may be the crime capital of Canada, and Montreal may have the most gang-members, Toronto still has a large Crips/Bloods feud.

kpenguin
2009-02-28, 11:31 PM
Wait... Canada has crime?!:smalltongue:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-03-01, 12:15 AM
From the sounds of things, that's a pretty tame soccer riot. I've heard of everything from stabbings to fans getting trampled at European soccer matches.

Felixaar
2009-03-01, 12:37 AM
I remember hearing about someone getting a bottle to the face...

And being "western in everything but location" really just doesn't sound right, now does it? Nothing against y'all but I really think there should be a better term.

Well, that was all last night so I guess since the place didn't burn down all will be well :smallsmile:

toasty
2009-03-01, 02:20 AM
I remember hearing about someone getting a bottle to the face...

And being "western in everything but location" really just doesn't sound right, now does it? Nothing against y'all but I really think there should be a better term.

Well, that was all last night so I guess since the place didn't burn down all will be well :smallsmile:

1st World European country of primarily european descendant and culture?

I like the term Western better. ;)

Rawhide
2009-03-01, 02:33 AM

Reminds me of the definition I heard for metrosexual, "gay in every way except sexual orientation". (Though that was obviously based on stereotypes.)

Hazkali
2009-03-01, 03:33 AM

Well, I really suppose it depends on your frame of reference (http://xkcd.com/503/).

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-01, 03:57 AM
Well, I really suppose it depends on your frame of reference (http://xkcd.com/503/).

You got to it before I could.
"But, Felix, technically, you are West D="

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-01, 11:50 AM
1st World European country of primarily european descendant and culture?

I like the term Western better. ;)

I believe 1st World, 3rd World are no longer considered politically correct. It's either "Developed" or "Developing." Although one could arguably say that many "developed" countries are doing the opposite of developing these days!

I think the term "Western" is obsolete, or at least changing in definition. Dictionary.com says:

Western - "of or pertaining to the non-Communist countries of Europe and the Americas."

Eastern 1 - "(formerly) of or pertaining to the Soviet Union and its allies."
2 - Oriental

And that opens up a whole other discussion. Here in the U.S. I'm starting to get the impression that the term "Oriental" is no longer politically correct.

Aside from NATO versus Warsaw Pact, there is the idea of Eastern versus Western philosophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_philosophy) which may be a pretty arbitrary way of dividing things as well.

So who is Western, who is Eastern, and who is none of the above? Cuba? Romania? Australia? Turkey? I give up.

Anuan
2009-03-01, 05:51 PM
"You're from the Orient, how the hell can you be offended when I call you Oriental? All I did was add an A and an L! The food you cooking F*ing Oriental, the rugs you make are F*ing Oriental." "I know wtf is Oriental...But I am not Oriental. I am Asian, Pacific Islander or Polynesian." "Yeah, well I never got the F*ing memo."

Kjata
2009-03-01, 06:35 PM
I believe 1st World, 3rd World are no longer considered politically correct. It's either "Developed" or "Developing." Although one could arguably say that many "developed" countries are doing the opposite of developing these days!
And that opens up a whole other discussion. Here in the U.S. I'm starting to get the impression that the term "Oriental" is no longer politically correct.

Honestly, I feel people who need the world to be "politically correct" are just people who can't face the world. It's ugly, and using different words to not offend anybody doesn't help.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-01, 08:40 PM
I think there's a time and place for "political correctness." I agree that people are frequently too sensitive, and it's easy to say "quit yer whinin'." But sometimes it is necessary to get away from derogatory or ignorant terms.

I'd like to think that if I was a minority - say a Native American Little Person With A Disability - I wouldn't get upset if somebody called me a Handicapped Midget Redskin. But I'm not one of those people, and I don't know the whole history behind those words, and how painful they might be. So I try to be considerate.

And because I work for the government, I have to be politically correct, at least while I'm at work.