PDA

View Full Version : South East Trogland Meet-up 09!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-02-28, 12:21 PM
Johnson City Tennessee is planning on hosting another exciting and rambunctious meet-up during the last weekend of June. Due to the overwhelming support we received last year for our meet-up, we are planning many possible scenarios for how to handle this year's extravaganza.

However, we need your help. We need to know how many are planning on coming so that we know which scenario to use.

We need those interested in coming to post their level of intent. There are basically 4 levels of intent.

1) Gonna be there!
2) Strong Maybe! (Can't miss it, I'll work toward being there.)
3) Weak maybe (I'd like to be there and if its convenient, I'll make it.)
4) Not really interested. (Sorry, but I heard Atreyu really does smell like a llama :smallsmile: )

We do stress that people post their honest level of intent because we had approx 1/3 of our people drop out in the couple of weeks before the meet-up last year,due to various reasons and while it wasn't a big problem, it may be this year.

We are hoping for an epic crowd and we wanna show those fancy European meet-up folk that we know how to party across the pond. :smalltongue:

Lawn games, board games, snacks, and a selection of adult beverages for those old enough to enjoy them. Don't worry, playgrounder parents. We I.D.!

Come be a part of the fastest growing OotS meet-up in all of South East Trogland!

Current Tallies

Definate
Smellie Hippie and Mountain Fairie
Penguinsushi and Bardic Bunny
Atreyu, the masked llama
Archives Ninja
Alarra and Zeb the Troll
Cristo and Lady Meyers
Indurain
Krade
Zaragon
Supagoof
Tyckspoon
Thes
Philistine
mangosta71
rtg0922

Strong Maybe
Dirk Kris
Mordokai
Skywalker
Jack Squat
LightWraith

Maybe
Flwipig
Reinholdt
Vael
turkishproverb
Vorpal Tribble

Weak Maybe
Rose Dragon
TwoBitWriter
Thallis Vahadt
Syka
Cobra Ikari
Banjo and Mrs B
HarmlessPenguin
Trog
Shadow

As of this point, I've no idea who's staying where, except that I think Krade called a couch in the igloo. Locals, if you let me know how many spots you have and what have been spoken for, I'll update that in this list as well.

Accommodations:
Igloo
- Krade (couch)
- Archives Ninja and co

EmeraldRose
2009-02-28, 12:29 PM
We would totally come, if Tennessee were anywhere at all close to Minnesota. Like maybe next state over...And if we had a babysitter who'd keep the kids a couple of days...and were independently wealthy so we could just take off and go.

Some day...some day...

Have fun anyway, and take lots and lots and lots of pictures! :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-28, 12:42 PM
Ya calling me fancy?

Jack Squat
2009-02-28, 12:44 PM
Put me down as a strong maybe. It really depends on if the family is going out of town again this year.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-02-28, 01:47 PM
Strong maybe. Like, it depends on my level of cash and my parents willingness. Plus, you know, I have to figure out who I'm going with this year, the rooming situation, etc.
These are mostly things that can be worked out easily, though =)

Last year was so much fuuuuuuuun!

Mordokai
2009-02-28, 01:52 PM
Weak maybe, with weak being pretty strong here :smalltongue:

That is to say, if I graduate by then(which seems highly unlikely) and get enough money(which actually shouldn't be all that big of a problem) I'll be showing myself up. But right now, I wouldn't bet the smallest amount of money on it.

Why am I posting this then? Maybe it will be the incentive I need to get my ass in gear. Just maybe.

And I like to tease a little.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-02-28, 01:59 PM
And I like to tease a little all the damned time.

Right. I fixed your typo for you, Mordy =D

And I would like it if you came. Is that MOOOORE motivation?

skywalker
2009-02-28, 02:41 PM
We need those interested in coming to post their level of intent. There are basically 4 levels of intent.

1) Gonna be there!
2) Strong Maybe! (Can't miss it, I'll work toward being there.)
3) Weak maybe (I'd like to be there and if its convenient, I'll make it.)
4) Not really interested. (Sorry, but I heard Atreyu really does smell like a llama :smallsmile: )

I was a strong maybe, until I read this...

Lawn games, board games, snacks, and a selection of adult beverages for those old enough to enjoy them. Don't worry, playgrounder parents. We I.D.!

Definitely a weak maybe, now. (I'm almost 21! So close!)

Just playing. Currently strong maybe, depending on how other plans for this summer work out. I may be traveling.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-28, 02:43 PM
If I came, would we follow dutch or USA drinking laws?:smalltongue:

Ego Slayer
2009-02-28, 02:48 PM
Well, damn, I wanna come. Again. :smallfrown:
Ego's without transportation, so looks like you'll have to slay your own egos this year.

Also, D-D... I hope you realize how terrifying your avatar is. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-28, 02:50 PM
Not really, untill I kept getting these comments of ´aahk, don´t get it near me´ ´take it down or I´l shoot you with flyswatters´ ´gah, Dallas! Thats just creepy!´

So, I guess it fits with my other creepy avatars.:grin:

SMEE
2009-02-28, 04:45 PM
Pretty much none at all...

I need to save for GRS... and for GenCon, and for visiting boyfriend... :smallfrown:

*Bea needs to make more money*

Trog
2009-02-28, 04:57 PM
Strong Maybe. All depends on whether wherever I am working by that time will allow me off. And I'll certainly push for it. Wooo! Kubb! Peeps! Hippie Brew! Forum-like socializing without spell-checking! :smallbiggrin:

Also is there any date being set? I do have a wedding to attend in Boston this summer and if JC meetup conflicts with wedding, well, wedding wins. You know how it goes.

Bazillions of board games! DnD! Hippie Brew! :smallbiggrin:

I'd like to try running another -short- (read: FAR shorter than last time's 9.9 ) DnD 4.0 3-encounter dungeon crawl.

Player_Zero
2009-02-28, 05:14 PM
AAAAAAAAARGHGOOAT_EW(JHFANCLEADLJKGBF*QUBWR(*FABDC I!!!!

...Forum ate my post... It was a good one. It was a rant about how nothing you perceive is real...

PhoeKun
2009-02-28, 05:15 PM
Weak maybe. I'd love to go, but it's highly unlikely the funds or the time are going to be there.

Actually, scratch that. The funds flat out aren't going to be there, barring some sort of miracle. It's the timing that is merely unfortunately tricky. Stupid life.

Haruki-kun
2009-02-28, 05:29 PM
Very unlikely... but if you could move it a bit... like... following the red line...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/Dibujo.jpg

...then I might be able to get there. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2009-02-28, 05:38 PM
A maybe from me too- I'd love to come, and I do have the resources... but I don't want to blow all of my money, as I plan to go to GenCon as well.

I'll be looking to see how I can cut expenses and stuff in both places, and I'll work from there. :smallsmile:

Syka
2009-02-28, 05:42 PM
Weak maybe to a not at all interested.

I say this because I really, really want to go but the chances of going are...pretty much nil. For one, I need a job. Without a job, I don't get money. With a job, I probably can't get the time off. For two, transport. No way to get there. :smallfrown:

One of these days I'll get to a Trogland meetup.

Cheers~

ArchivesNinja
2009-03-01, 12:13 AM
Strong Maybe. All depends on whether wherever I am working by that time will allow me off. And I'll certainly push for it. Wooo! Kubb! Peeps! Hippie Brew! Forum-like socializing without spell-checking! :smallbiggrin:

Also is there any date being set? I do have a wedding to attend in Boston this summer and if JC meetup conflicts with wedding, well, wedding wins. You know how it goes. . . .

We totally understand. :smallsmile: Traditionally we do this the last week of June with folks showing up as they're able. So June 27 and 28 are the official days, though it's pretty normal for people to show up the Friday before and sometimes one or two stay through the Monday after. And by "normal" I mean "it's happened both years previous, so hey, why not make it normal?" :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-03-01, 12:41 AM
Ah, SteveDamn! I'd really like to come. Anyone got a boat they can send me over in? :smalltongue: If I publish a book and get a huge advance before then, I'LL BE THERE! So put me down as an incredibly weak maybe.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-01, 12:51 AM
Ooookay, so both Noir and I would like to be attending, but here are our issues:
1) Neither of our crapmobiles ( mine of which is nonexistant at the moment) would be able to make the trip
2) Flying would be awesome!...but we're both under 25 and wouldn't be able to rent a car to get anywhere from an airport D=

Mordokai
2009-03-01, 04:16 AM
Right. I fixed your typo for you, Mordy =D

I get this from you? The irony is almost overwhelming :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

And I would like it if you came. Is that MOOOORE motivation?

Yes. Yes it is. You, Cristo, that crazy llama dude, from what I hear you have hippies and troglodytes as well... maybe I even meet De? Who knows...

Boo
2009-03-01, 04:28 AM
See, I'd come, but #1 I don't live anywhere near there, and #2 I'm a Canadian in Canada, and #3 I don't have money, nor permission to go.

One of these days I'll come to a meet-up. I plan to move to America in a few (a few being 6) years, so I don't think it would be a problem by that point. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-01, 10:39 AM
Ohhhhh, the Lady and I were starting to wonder when this would come around...

Strong maybe, we're working on getting my student loans paid off by the end of the year so there's a slight chance we may not be able to scrape together the extra cash.

DraPrime
2009-03-01, 10:50 AM
Not really, untill I kept getting these comments of ´aahk, don´t get it near me´ ´take it down or I´l shoot you with flyswatters´ ´gah, Dallas! Thats just creepy!´

So, I guess it fits with my other creepy avatars.:grin:

Hehe, flyswatters...

Anyways, I'd come if this was even remotely close to Assachusetts.

skywalker
2009-03-01, 01:34 PM
2) Flying would be awesome!...but we're both under 25 and wouldn't be able to rent a car to get anywhere from an airport D=

Not sure where you live, but the Tri-Cities do have an airport, with service from some nearby regional hubs. So you could maybe fly to one of those, and then to the Tri-Cities, where I'm sure somebody could pick you up.

If you happen to not be able to fly there, you could fly to Knoxville, and, as Bor will tell you, I'd be happy to pick you up, altho it is a bit of a drive to JC (2 hours according to mapquest, probably a little bit shorter than that since Mapquest overestimates everything). Even if I don't go, there's a possibility I could drive, altho if you were coming and needing a ride, that would certainly do a lot to get me to the meetup :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-03-01, 01:45 PM
We totally understand. :smallsmile: Traditionally we do this the last week of June with folks showing up as they're able. So June 27 and 28 are the official days, though it's pretty normal for people to show up the Friday before and sometimes one or two stay through the Monday after. And by "normal" I mean "it's happened both years previous, so hey, why not make it normal?" :smallbiggrin:

Oh good. :smallsmile: The wedding is Mid-July so no conflicts there (except for possible work issues as stated before). *upgrades to strong maybe +1*

LadyMeyers
2009-03-01, 02:23 PM
I would say that Cris and I are at Strong Maybe +1 as well. Unless something changes between now and then, of course.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 12:19 AM
Well, I'd LOVE to come, and since I was one of the ones that had to be a total boob and back out late last year, I'm gonna try my hardest this year. And since I'll have some money and won't have to worry about school or work, it should be a go. Put me down for Strong Maybe!

Also, if I do in fact make it, I'll be hitting 421 from Winston-Salem to Boone and then 321 on towards TN, so if anyone happens to need a ride from the Triad area of NC and areas western, I might be able to give you a ride. (Unless you seem like some creepy internet stalker/serial killer/Dateline predator. :smalltongue:)

Lupy
2009-03-02, 12:27 AM
Also, if I do in fact make it, I'll be hitting 421 from Winston-Salem to Boone and then 321 on towards TN, so if anyone happens to need a ride from the Triad area of NC and areas western, I might be able to give you a ride. (Unless you seem like some creep internet stalker/serial killer/Dateline predator. :smalltongue:)

I'd love to go, and I'd take you up on that offer, but one of my parents would want to come. Put me down as a Almost certainly not- being too young to drive is a pain.

Reinholdt
2009-03-02, 01:14 AM
I'm stuck at 2.5. I should have funds and transportation, but I'm uncertain about job situation (and possibly location). This will be upgraded or downgraded as necessary. I should have a much better idea by the time May rolls around.

I also wish to bribe Mordokai into coming.

PhoeKun
2009-03-02, 01:20 AM
Aw, people I want to meet are maybe possibly going this year. This isn't fair; why can't money magically appear in my bank account or at my feet or something? Or heck, a job would be nice, too. *kicks the dirt*

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 02:07 AM
I'd love to go, and I'd take you up on that offer, but one of my parents would want to come.

Well, if things change, just shoot me a PM or something.

Also, and I just thought of this, but if anyone in EASTERN North Carolina or Virginia wants to meet somewhere and carpool, I live out in the country and have acres of fields for folks to park in and ride the rest of the way.

skywalker
2009-03-02, 03:04 AM
Also, and I just thought of this, but if anyone in EASTERN North Carolina or Virginia wants to meet somewhere and carpool, I live out in the country and have acres of fields for folks to park in and ride the rest of the way.

Hopefully you won't need acres... I doubt there are that many playgrounders in the area you described and doubt even more seriously that the JC folks are interested in this becoming "playgroundstock..."

At least this year :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2009-03-02, 06:04 AM
Well, I'm sure this will come as no surprise, but Alarra and I are both DEFINITELY in. We're 100% so far and wouldn't dream of missing one short of personal death. Not to mention that it's where our life together got its start and is the weekend before our 1st Anniversary. (Yay us!)

Also, depending on availability and number of requests, we can probably arrange to bring one or two Playgrounders with us. Our agenda will probably have us leaving the Baltimore metropolitan area (minutes from BWI airport) about mid-morning on that Friday and coming back Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. If interested in arranging something, send us a PM. (Knowing how to drive a stick would give you plusses if we end up having to choose. :smallcool: )

For those who aren't sure, ask around for those who came last year. Read the thread for last year's. It's a LOT of fun. Those JC folks really know how to have a good time. And by this I do not mean "man, can they drink!" even though alcohol will be allowed for most activities. I mean that there was so much to do that it would be hard to NOT have a good time. On top of that, you have a bunch of wonderful Playgrounders in attendance and what better company is that? Another thought - as annual events go, the Southeast Trogland Meetup tends to be far less costly than things like GenCon or Origins.

Alarra and I hope to see many of you again (we'd love to see all of you but realize that this unrealistic) and meet many more of you this year so you'd better get to your planning and figure out how to make it work. :smallcool::smallcool:

banjo1985
2009-03-02, 07:28 AM
Weak maybe, with weak being pretty strong here :smalltongue:

Schedule me and Mrs B for one of these too. Me and Mordy once talked semi-seriously about making the next one of these, but with a wedding next year unless I win the lottery I've not got much chance of this one. But heck, you never know, I've always wanted to take in Trogland. :smallbiggrin:

And no, me and Mordy are not getting married, before some dashing wit says it. :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-03-02, 08:07 AM
And no, me and Mordy are not getting married, before some dashing wit says it. :smalltongue:

*pokes head in again*

:smallwink: Are they getting marri- huh? What's that? :smallconfused:

oh.

well dang.

*exit, stage left*

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-02, 08:15 AM
*pokes head in again*

:smallwink: Are they getting marri- huh? What's that? :smallconfused:

oh.

well dang.

*exit, stage left*

Rats! Beat me to it!

Mordokai
2009-03-02, 08:19 AM
Now where have I put that lance of mine... I know I saw it not long ago.

Have a couple of wise guys to make shish kebab out of.

Penguinsushi
2009-03-02, 10:07 AM
Ah. At last, the meetup thread. I thought about starting this back in Feb, but was kind of deferring to Zeb. Glad to see our resident llama picked up the mantle though...

Anyway...

@Ego: Alas...

@Rabbit and anyone else with airport questions: Yes, there *is* an airport (tri-cities regional) in Gray (about 30 min from JC), and i'm sure some locals would be willing to schedule some pickups if necessary. A fair amount of car-pooling usually goes on in and around JC over the weekend too - plus (what i'll call) the 'primary' hotel generally used for the meetup is within walking distance of the Hippie Hut. So yeah, any transportation issues can almost certainly be surmounted.

Looks like we have quite a few strong maybes (:smallsmile:), a fair number of weak maybes (:smallfrown:) and only a couple definites (Llama - since you started the thread, are you going to keep a running tally of these?). It's still early though - you all have the better part of 4 months to figure out how to get here. :smallwink:

I think the bunny & i will probably be willing to host one or two forumites in need of a place to crash for the weekend again this year, and the Igloo will be available as a possible activity venue (although having most of you crammed in our livingroom last year may have been slightly less than ideal...heh :smallamused: - it's better when it's not raining, we have a pretty good-sized yard).

I'll also repeat a thing or two Zeb said: for anyone who's "not sure about this", just ask anyone who came last year. We all had a great time. We locals love to entertain, and the playgrounders in attendance have been awesome people to hang out with. This forum community is easily the best & most friendly i've ever been a part of. If you're considering it & you can muster the means, you should come. Really.

~PS

Midnight Son
2009-03-02, 01:51 PM
You need a new category.

Totally would be there if it weren't the same weekend as my company's training convention.:smallfrown:

The last one was a total blast and I wish I could go, but the timing's all wrong. Funny thing is, I'll be in a neighboring state, just tied up with business.

Krade
2009-03-02, 04:50 PM
I was this close to statrting this topic today *squeezes thumb and forefinger together as tightly as possible*. Or at least inquiring as to when planning will start since last year planning started in early February.

Anyways...

It looks like I'll be among the first to say that I am a 1 (only 9.5 hours after Zeb). I recently (6 weeks ago) got a job and 2 days ago switched to full time so I'll be able to pay for at least most of my necesary expenses each month with one check (around $480). I don't think getting the time off will be a problem since I'll have been there almost half the year at that point (and requesting off almost 4 months prior will certainly do a bit of good).

My only regret in all of this how unlikely it will be to get my friend in Gainesville, FL to attend (Lonely d12 if you remember him, he hasn't been around the forum for a while though). My original plan I made a couple months ago involved me taking the Greyhound to Gainesville, spending a few day there, driving with him to JC, then drive back here to Indy and he'll spend a few days here before heading back home. It's unlikely due to the fact that the chances of me getting more than 5 days off for a vacation is probably around zero.

Oh well...

I call dibs on the Igloo couch (provided it's available again:smallbiggrin:)!!!

Zaragon
2009-03-02, 07:03 PM
Very very very strong maybe, but only because I can't plan anything that far in advance.

It's penciled in on the calendar... we shall see as the appointed time gets closer!

tyckspoon
2009-03-02, 07:23 PM
Put me in for another Strong Maybe. I'm in pretty much the same situation as Krade, minus the 'detouring to Florida' bit.

smellie_hippie
2009-03-02, 09:32 PM
I think you can put me and Mountain Faerie down as a 1. :smallbiggrin: I actually think we might get in trouble if we tried to claim otherwise...

I have a reserve of 12 bottles of the first batch of Hippie Brew set aside, and plan on brewing at least 2-3 more batches... so we'll have a variety. I also have a new logo idea for the beer, and will be catching up with a few of you graphic designers to help with some of the details. :smallamused:

Onto non-alcohol related matters... The SE Meet-up is a kid friendly event!! I mean that to include both minors and very minors. Last year Faerie and I met a set of parents, just to reassure them that we were not crazy. (And now I have a license to prove that I'm not crazy!! :smallbiggrin:)

Hotels are in abundance, and yes we have a fairly nice and cheap set of digs less than 1/4 a mile from the hippie hut (unless we buy our new house before then... which is possible). We will also make use of our private picnic and outdoor ropes course campground (not for camping and campfires sadly :smallfrown:) for our outdoor gala event of Kubb.

It's time for the lurkers to get back online and spread the word!! Last year we had in excess of 40 playgrounders, and I know we can do better this year!!

LadyMeyers
2009-03-02, 11:50 PM
I think it safe to rsvp in the affirmative at this point. Barring calamity or (to quote Cris from last year) random ninja attacks, we'll see you in June.

Perhaps that might help motivate Mordokai... I know he'd be welcome.

Penguinsushi
2009-03-03, 10:40 AM
@ MS: well crap on a stick, man. That sucks. We'll miss you. <wishfulthinking>Any chance the offending event might get cancelled/rescheduled?</wishfulthinking>

@ Krade: Haha. Sure, man - it hadn't been claimed as yet. Consider the spot reserved for you unless something implodes (like the couch, i guess). I assume we'll stop over at the bus station at some point to pick you up like last year? We'll iron all that out when we're about 3.5 months closer to go-time.

To others: We also have a Spare 'Oom with air mattress and can probably accommodate one more lodger.

Re: Hippie: Yeah, the SE-Meetup is a kid-friendly event. We had a few munchkins last year; they were amongst my favorite photography subjects. :smallsmile: Oh, which reminds me - there will be tons of photos this year too, just like last year (collective album) (http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/OOTSCon/) - even have a flash now capable of a decent group shot, should we wish to stage it. :smallbiggrin:

~PS

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-03, 10:41 AM
I think it safe to rsvp in the affirmative at this point. Barring calamity or (to quote Cris from last year) random ninja attacks, we'll see you in June.

You always did underestimate the dangers of random ninja attacks...

Mordokai
2009-03-03, 11:17 AM
Perhaps that might help motivate Mordokai... I know he'd be welcome.

Pretty soon I'll need to show up, or my very life will be in danger for not coming :smallbiggrin:

*sigh* Motivation in abundance, my dear lady. But I dare promise nothing just yet.

Dirk Kris
2009-03-03, 11:39 AM
Put Dirky down as a strong maybe. Flying solo, so...roomies?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-03, 01:53 PM
Put Dirky down as a strong maybe. Flying solo, so...roomies?

You could totally chill with Noir and I, assuming we can get the flight and a pickup from someone...
Agh, so much planning just because we're under 25 >.<

LightWraith
2009-03-03, 06:30 PM
You can put me down as a Weak Maybe for now. I had a blast last year, and would love to come again, but my financial/living situation is very uncertain for that time frame. If nothing else, Penguin needs a backup photographer :biggrin:

For anyone who is still on the fence about coming, I have only one thing to add:

THE POWER OF KUBB COMPELS YOU!
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/GitP%20Southeast%20Meetup%202008/Saturday/DSC_0152.jpg

AmberVael
2009-03-03, 06:50 PM
For anyone who is still on the fence about coming, I have only one thing to add:

Apparently when Vael gets involved, it compels you hard enough to leave bruises. :smallamused:
*is a terrible Kubb player- Vael + throwing things = injuries*

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-03, 07:12 PM
Apparently when Vael gets involved, it compels you hard enough to leave bruises. :smallamused:
*is a terrible Kubb player- Vael + throwing things = injuries*

Dude, we sucked so hard at Kubb.
It was perfectly epic fail.

UserClone
2009-03-03, 07:47 PM
You can put me down for a 2.75. It would have been more like a 1.5, but I just got a new job, so vacation days will be scarce, though I may actually be able to afford airfare by then.

Ego Slayer
2009-03-03, 11:28 PM
Dude, we sucked so hard at Kubb.
It was perfectly epic fail.
I still blame it on our being downhill since I think we're actually too cool to fail at Kubb. D:

Penguinsushi
2009-03-03, 11:31 PM
I still blame it on our being downhill since I think we're actually too cool to fail at Kubb. D:

*I* blame it on your never-having-even-seen-the-game-before-ness.

:smallwink:

~PS

Ego Slayer
2009-03-03, 11:51 PM
*I* blame it on your never-having-even-seen-the-game-before-ness.

:smallwink:

~PS
Nawh, I just have terrrrible aim.
I would not be any better 20 games from now, I'm quite sure. :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-04, 12:02 AM
Nawh, I just have terrrrible aim.
I would not be any better 20 games from now, I'm quite sure. :smallbiggrin:

...I threw the stick three feet away from me.
Come on, now, Ego. You were better than that.

Trog
2009-03-04, 01:14 AM
>.>
<.<

*gives Ego and RHL laser-guided kubb sticks*

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-04, 08:28 AM
...I threw the stick three feet away from me.
Come on, now, Ego. You were better than that.

I threw the block three feet away from me...

:smalltongue:

Mountain_Faerie
2009-03-04, 09:07 PM
I'd love to go, and I'd take you up on that offer, but one of my parents would want to come. Put me down as a Almost certainly not- being too young to drive is a pain.

Maybe you should show the folks the thread. Like Hippie said, we had parents come to the house last year to meet everyone. We exchanged phone #'s, tried to feed them candy, and discussed Bang. They had their own plans on watauga lake (http://www.wataugalaketennessee.com/), so they didn't stay the weekend. But they could have. I mean, I'd let my kid go to the meet-up... oh, wait, that was my kid at the meet-up. :smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2009-03-04, 10:44 PM
Or, you know...you could bring one of your parents...I mean, we're fun people, we like parents, hell, quite a few of us are parents.

Zeb The Troll
2009-03-05, 12:39 AM
Or, you know...you could bring one of your parents...I mean, we're fun people, we like parents, hell, quite a few of us are parents.Some of us are even parents of parents (okay, maybe that's just me)! That'll throw 'em for a loop. "Mom, dad, there's going to be grandparents there! How unsavory could this group possibly be?" :smallcool:
You don't have to tell them that Grandpa Zeb is a biker. :smalltongue: I'll be leaving the Harley at home this time. :smallfrown:

AmberVael
2009-03-05, 12:57 AM
Maybe you should show the folks the thread. Like Hippie said, we had parents come to the house last year to meet everyone. We exchanged phone #'s, tried to feed them candy, and discussed Bang. They had their own plans on watauga lake (http://www.wataugalaketennessee.com/), so they didn't stay the weekend. But they could have. I mean, I'd let my kid go to the meet-up... oh, wait, that was my kid at the meet-up. :smallbiggrin:

They were less there out of concern for my safety, and more out of want for their own vacation, and realizing that just maybe my car wasn't up for the trip. (That and they like to meet people.)
>.>
Srsly. They let me go to GenCon, Alaska, and New York without them. They're not really too concerned about my travel decisions. They have confidence in my decisions.

Incidentally, I don't actually have a car. I have a metal box that likes to pretend it is a car- sometimes it realizes the truth, and it takes lots of hypnosis to make it go back to thinking it is a car again.
But shhhh. Don't tell it.
>.>
<.<

Trog
2009-03-05, 01:00 AM
*snrk* I can hear it now....

"But daaaaad it will be totally safe. They'll be bikers there. And hippies. And troglodytes." :smalltongue:

Lord Blace
2009-03-05, 06:52 PM
I'd put myself somewhere between weak and strong maybe. I'm sure with enough advanced notice I could get the time off work. If I'm thrifty, I can gather funds.
It all boils down to getting a car. If my father does as he's said and gives me a car he has, then it would almost be a certainty.

Also, since I'll be coming from TX, I could pick up people who are on the way, or are just a little detour off the main trail. But this is putting the cart before the horse.

-Wanders off.-

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-05, 06:55 PM
=O
REECEYCAKES

If you go, it would be so nice to see you again!

Lord Blace
2009-03-05, 07:03 PM
=O
REECEYCAKES

If you go, it would be so nice to see you again!

Yeah, it'd be nice to see you too. And everyone else as well. And I might be able to swing up north and grab you if you agree to take a turn driving. You know, IF I get the car in time.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-05, 07:09 PM
Yeah, it'd be nice to see you too. And everyone else as well. And I might be able to swing up north and grab you if you agree to take a turn driving. You know, IF I get the car in time.

If I got my license in time, too. Plus, you know, I has my friend, Noir_Cat, who you would probably get along with, and she can drive toooo.
OOOO, PLAN.
=D

smellie_hippie
2009-03-06, 08:48 AM
Keep those plans rolling folks! We have a HUGE network of people around here, and there has got to be means to get most of everyone here who rates above a 'strong maybe'...

Indurain
2009-03-07, 04:54 AM
100% Guaranteed to be there. Already booked the weekend off.

So Trog, you can add nudist to the list of "people/things that will be there."

Trog
2009-03-07, 05:37 AM
100% Guaranteed to be there. Already booked the weekend off.

So Trog, you can add nudist to the list of "people/things that will be there."

REVISED:
"But daaaaad it will be totally safe. They'll be bikers there. And hippies. And troglodytes."
DAD: No chance. :smallannoyed:
"Oh and a nudist too"
DAD: A Nudist you say? :smalleek: Well.... right then off you go! :smallamused: *shooshoo*

>.>
<.<
I'm not helping am I?

The Valiant Turtle
2009-03-07, 08:06 AM
Aha! The meetup thread! I found you at last.

Why is it that people always post the important threads when my monitoring of Friendly Banter is slipping?

I'll be there if I have to have to chew my way through a barb-wire barricade to get there!

I live just South of Indianapolis, so I can probably arrange to pick someone up anywhere in the Indy/Cinci/Louisville/Lexington areas with enough notice.

Penguinsushi
2009-03-07, 09:36 AM
REVISED:
"But daaaaad it will be totally safe. They'll be bikers there. And hippies. And troglodytes."
DAD: No chance. :smallannoyed:
"Oh and a nudist too"
DAD: A Nudist you say? :smalleek: Well.... right then off you go! :smallamused: *shooshoo*

>.>
<.<
I'm not helping am I?

Hahahahaha -

That joke just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

@ Raldor (VT): Glad to hear it, man! :smallsmile:

~PS

Shadow
2009-03-07, 04:12 PM
Aha! The meetup thread! I found you at last.

Why is it that people always post the important threads when my monitoring of Friendly Banter is slipping?
My sentiments exactly!
Oh, wait.... My monitoring of all the forums have been slipping non-existent of late. :smallredface:
Why did I not get a PM about this? :smallfurious:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/GitP%20Southeast%20Meetup%202008/Saturday/DSC_0152.jpg

That's enough for me!
Mayhap we can assemble the unstoppable team from last year to decimate the opposition yet again!

You can officially put me down as a very strong maybe since this gives me plenty of time to make arrangements with work and whatnot. Work - by the way - has been AWESOME! I'm finally starting to get some free time, so you may even find yourselves bothered by my presence here on the boards again sometime soon!

Decisions that need to be made:
- How long do I want to take off?
- Do I want to swing by BWI again first?
- Who wants to room with a chain-smoking, alcoholic, snore-monster Shadow for a couple of nights?
- If that's you, will you bring Pop Tarts?
- If the answer to that was "Yes", I promise to snuggle!
- Could Cris and the Lady handle another 10 hours in the car with the aforementioned chain-smoking, alcoholic, snore-monster Shadow; and does that offer still stand?

Edeeet-O:
hippie- if we do the ropes course again, are you going to be able to keep up the slack this time as I climb with lightning speed yet again? :smallamused:

LadyMeyers
2009-03-07, 04:35 PM
- Could Cris and the Lady handle another 10 hours in the car with the aforementioned chain-smoking, alcoholic, snore-monster Shadow; and does that offer still stand?

It's very much a possibility. We'd need a bit more information to go on (a la would it just be the trip back, or there and back? would we be acquiring more of your stuff? etc). PM me with details.

Shadow
2009-03-07, 04:41 PM
It's very much a possibility. We'd need a bit more information to go on (1) a la would it just be the trip back, or there and back? 2) would we be acquiring more of your stuff? etc). 3) PM me with details.

1) Not sure yet, just spit-balling it.
2) Do you want some? :smallwink:
3) That's boring.

LadyMeyers
2009-03-07, 10:05 PM
1) Not sure yet, just spit-balling it.
2) Do you want some? :smallwink:
3) That's boring.

1. We'd need to know more before a definitive answer is provided; and yes, I realize you probably don't have the answers yet.
2. Not particularly; do you want yours back?
3. Well, I suppose you could call...

Lupy
2009-03-07, 10:20 PM
Onto non-alcohol related matters... The SE Meet-up is a kid friendly event!! I mean that to include both minors and very minors. Last year Faerie and I met a set of parents, just to reassure them that we were not crazy. (And now I have a license to prove that I'm not crazy!! :smallbiggrin:)!

Is it now...? Can I get anyone to second that? So that your favorite middle-schooler can go?

Reading back just paid off. :smallbiggrin:

AmberVael
2009-03-07, 10:23 PM
Is it now...? Can I get anyone to second that? So that your favorite middle-schooler can go?

I was there and did absolutely nothing alcohol related or anything that wasn't kid friendly. ^-~

Lupy
2009-03-07, 10:27 PM
And so the begging begins.

Dad, take me to the meet-up.

What meet-up?

The Giantitp meet-up.

Lupy, no, you are not going to meet all those weirdos.

They had kids with their parents there last year!

No.

Please.

No.

They have Kubb!

What is "Kubb?"

A game where you throw sticks at a stack of blocks.

... Will you stop bugging me.

Yay!

Syka
2009-03-08, 12:42 PM
I change my RSVP to a weak maybe!

Woo!

I mentioned to my mom about how there are meet ups on here and all and she said she might be interested in doing a road trip up to you guys. Maybe go camping, etc before/after/during the meet up. :smallbiggrin:

ETA: If you could link me to campground websites and hotels in the area that'd be win. :)

smellie_hippie
2009-03-10, 10:39 AM
Gimme a little time to get actual links, but we are right outside Roan Mtn state park, Cherokee National Forest and just off a leg of the Appalachian Trail. There are several campgrounds nearby, both on Watauga lake and further off the beaten path... and as mentioned in the last thread several hotels to boot.

In fact... if you search the old thread, there might some links already there. Regardless, I'll try and pull some things together for the sake of being current.

hippie

I change my RSVP to a weak maybe!

Woo!

I mentioned to my mom about how there are meet ups on here and all and she said she might be interested in doing a road trip up to you guys. Maybe go camping, etc before/after/during the meet up. :smallbiggrin:

ETA: If you could link me to campground websites and hotels in the area that'd be win. :)

Lord Blace
2009-03-10, 01:54 PM
Ok, I'm now somewhere between definitely and strong maybe. I figure, even if I don't have a car by then, there's this awesome new thing called the bus system. I'll just need someone to come by the nearest bus station to pick me up and take me there, and then back to the bus stop once the festivities are over.

Penguinsushi
2009-03-10, 02:17 PM
Ok, I'm now somewhere between definitely and strong maybe. I figure, even if I don't have a car by then, there's this awesome new thing called the bus system. I'll just need someone to come by the nearest bus station to pick me up and take me there, and then back to the bus stop once the festivities are over.

As Krade can tell you, there's a bus station in downtown JC just a few miles from the Igloo & the Hippie Hut - so that won't be a problem.

~PS

Holocron Coder
2009-03-10, 03:38 PM
It all sounds like it'd be cool and stuff, then I realize...

...I don't know anybody on the forums, really >_> And nobody knows me. :smallfrown:
:smalleek:

Mordokai
2009-03-10, 03:40 PM
That's why you come! To meet more and new people :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Lord Blace
2009-03-11, 12:49 AM
That's why you come! To meet more and new people :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

QFT.
Besides a handful of people in the aim chat, and a few that aren't in it, no one on the boards really knows me or I, them. But I went last year (and plan on trying to make it this year) because I really do need to get out of my shell more often and meet you cool people. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2009-03-11, 06:26 PM
Ok folks... batch two of the hippie brew has just been completed. It goes in the bottle in about a week and a half.

I hope to have batch three started by early April and batch four by mid May. It promises to be plentiful.

yum.

Trog
2009-03-11, 07:35 PM
:smalleek: Trog calls he gets to lick the beaters!! P=

Zeb The Troll
2009-03-12, 12:25 AM
Ok folks... batch two of the hippie brew has just been completed. It goes in the bottle in about a week and a half.

I hope to have batch three started by early April and batch four by mid May. It promises to be plentiful.

yum.I really need to get back into doing this. :smallsigh:

Shadow
2009-03-12, 03:52 AM
So should Shadow make a batch of his famous homemade Kahlua in the even that he comes? :smallwink:

Lord Blace
2009-03-13, 02:03 AM
Alrighty, I requested the time off of work, so, I'm still in between definitely and strong maybe, but heading towards definitely. :smallsmile:

Trog
2009-03-13, 02:06 AM
So should Shadow make a batch of his famous homemade Kahlua in the even that he comes? :smallwink:

Yes please. Trog needs White Russians. :smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2009-03-13, 02:08 AM
homemade kahlua? white russians? damn you pregnancy...damn you...:smallsigh:

Shadow
2009-03-13, 02:13 AM
Well, it takes about three weeks, so I have plenty of time to figure out if I need to make it or not.
:smallbiggrin:

Mountain_Faerie
2009-03-13, 06:38 AM
I think there might be a need. I haven't had homemade Kahlua in a very long time. I might have forgotten what it tastes like. :smallbiggrin:

LadyMeyers
2009-03-15, 08:31 PM
Might anybody be interested in a game of Paranoia?

RTGoodman
2009-03-15, 08:37 PM

I've never played, but assuming I'm there (it's a very strong possibility) I'd like to give it a shot. I've always wanted to try it, but I've never gotten a chance.

I think I'll have to pass on the Kahlua and White Russians, though - I'm no Kahlua fan anyway, and I can't STAND White Russians. I think I'll stick with my standard beers or whiskey-based drinks. :smalltongue: (Unless someone convinces me otherwise...)

Thes Hunter
2009-03-15, 08:41 PM
Strong Maybe.... I would be an absolute but because this is the last weekend I will be working, I need to nail some stuff down.

I will speak to my HR director and find out how much vacation time I have, and see what I can work out with my team.

Reinholdt
2009-03-15, 10:10 PM
That's one of the two RPGs I've always wanted to try but never got a chance.
If I make it, I'm definitely interested.

turkishproverb
2009-03-16, 01:12 AM
I'll try to be there.

Krade
2009-03-19, 07:00 PM
Well, I haven't gotten around to getting the time off work yet (Mostly because my boss is pretty much always busy). But I am still definitely gonna be there.

@ Thallis: The bus is great if you have the tolerance for it. The liklihood of having to sit next to someone who lacks the courtesy of respecting your half of the seat is staggeringly high, not to mention the onboard restrooms:smalleek:. I suggest you eat as little as possible on the day before and day(s) of your trip and confine yourself to a mostly liquid diet to limit lengthy stays in those horrible, horrible restrooms. I also hear hear it's dangerous to both your person and your possessions, though I have yet to run into those complications in any of my travels.

So... If Shadow can make it, do we get to witness the historical event of him and Indy meeting for the first time? Since both of them have kissed Zeb (there is evidence, I saw one of them, it DID happen!), can we expect some manner of horrible rivalry for his affections between the two? Can I ask any more ridiculous questions? How long can this go on? Am I going crazy?

Answers at 8:00... maybe.

Lord Blace
2009-03-24, 10:07 PM
So, I'm going to be wearing this shirt to the meet up. :smallbiggrin:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/SpiderKoopa/MeetupShirtFront.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/SpiderKoopa/MeetupShirtBack.jpg

Indurain
2009-04-01, 12:31 AM
So... If Shadow can make it, do we get to witness the historical event of him and Indy meeting for the first time? Since both of them have kissed Zeb (there is evidence, I saw one of them, it DID happen!), can we expect some manner of horrible rivalry for his affections between the two?

THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

smellie_hippie
2009-04-01, 06:56 AM
I know the plans are continuing to ferment here in SE Trogland... but this might be an opportune moment to see what some of our newer guests might be interested in.

A repeat of some of our previous features:
Yes, we will head to the Mid City Grill for late night games and tasty eats (that's where we took the giant group picture)
Yes we will return to the Greenwood Challenge Course for some picnicing, Kubb and likely one element of high ropes course activity

Some new features:
Thunderdome. We have a restaurant that caters to gamers and internet usage. Very close to the Mid City Grill in menu, but also has a wall of PCs and console games. It is my understanding that the host will stay open 'stupid late' if he has paying customers

Some missing features:
Our church fellowship hall for late night table games is likely lost to us. We met here on Friday night for multiple card games and initial introductions. We also had some 'live music' for those with some inkling of talent with the strings and drums

But now it is time to see who might be interested in other new activities. Make suggestions and requests, and we'll see what we can do!

See you all in a couple months!

RTGoodman
2009-04-01, 09:02 AM
Well, if I'm there (which is looking pretty good - I didn't get into a single out-of-state grad school :smallmad:), I can definitely bring Rock Band and all that, provided there's a place to set it up. I may also be lugging around a cajon, a bodhran, a tin whistle, a tambourine, or any other number of musical instruments if we do try to get a jam session going.

Otherwise, well, I'm not picky. I'll just be happy to be there. :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-04-01, 10:12 AM
Heh! I vote Shadow and Indy face off in Thunderdome.

Two men enter, one man leaves! :smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2009-04-01, 12:52 PM
Whose shoulders will I ride upon? :smallconfused:

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-01, 12:54 PM

Don' look at me...

What about Zeb?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-01, 12:56 PM

I could totally give a piggy-back ride. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2009-04-01, 01:21 PM

Never mind shoulders... who's gonna be brave enough to get the Mel Gibson feathered mullet!?

Indurain
2009-04-01, 05:16 PM
Never mind shoulders... who's gonna be brave enough to get the Mel Gibson feathered mullet!?

My hair isn't long enough for that, but if you don't mind cross-refrences, I will paint my face blue.

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-02, 02:39 AM
Don' look at me...

What about Zeb?Right now, that would be a bad idea. On Friday I start 6-8 weeks of physical therapy for this weird spinal torsion anomaly thing I've got going. Lifting anything heavier than a beer probably isn't a good idea, considering. :smallfrown:

Krade
2009-04-02, 01:16 PM
Well, I gots me some news that is both not bad and new.

First, I may be able to convince my mother to go camping in the JC area at the time of the meetup. I've talked to her about it and she thinks it will take her 2 days to get there, but I've just looked on Mapquest and it says a little over 7 hours, so I may be able to convince her with this new information. If I can do that, not only will I not have to shell out the cash to get a bus ticket, I will be able to us that cash to provide high quality barbequeing stuffs from where I work for the cookout/picnic thing we will be doing. I talkin' fancy and delicious burgers ready to grill, fancy and delicious chips, and fancy and delicious sodas. All at a 20% discount. Even so, I'm not sure I'll be able to bring a lot since even at that discount, it could get expensive. Again, better chance this won't happen than will.

Second, I may have to leave on Friday morning which will have me arriving at around 9:30pm (if I can't get my mom to go camping). This could suck not only because it would make the ticket more expensive, but I would be missing out on a lot of the Friday antics.

Third, my job is wierd in that not only did I get a $0.50 raise before the normal 90 days (like I was told would happen), I got it without any kind of notification. I just found out a couple days ago when I was looking at my last check stub that I was getting paid more than before. It comes out to around $20 per check more (after taxes), so it's not a whole lot of difference, but it will help me live slightly more comfortably while still saving money.

There's probably more to it that I could go through, but this post is getting pretty long as it is. So that's all I'm gonna say now.

billtodamax
2009-04-03, 06:12 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm a 4, unless someone could create some sort of teleporting device between canberra and... the south east. call it a 3.9. Is there one of these in australia? I'd like to meet some of you people.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-04, 06:31 PM
Some missing features:
Our church fellowship hall for late night table games is likely lost to us. We met here on Friday night for multiple card games and initial introductions. We also had some 'live music' for those with some inkling of talent with the strings and drums

Is there still going to be late night Friday stuff? As in somewhere ... else? After all, what else am I going to do with my insomniac self (because we're looking at another 2 am-ish departure)?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-04-06, 04:56 PM
Yes. Its not that the church is off limits to us, its that it may be more difficult to access it, since Ging had a key. In either case, we'll definitely have some place to hang out on Friday and much stuff will be done.

On a random note, our game collection has surged in growth and awesomeness. We have many different versions of Grave Robbers now. :smallsmile:

LadyMeyers
2009-04-06, 05:00 PM
On a random note, our game collection has surged in growth and awesomeness. We have many different versions of Grave Robbers now. :smallsmile:

Is that a challenge?

We'll be bringing some stuff for Friday and Saturday too.

SMEE
2009-04-06, 05:51 PM
*snip* *snip*high quality barbequeing stuffs *snip* *snip* fancy and delicious burgers ready to grill, *snip* *snip*

:confused:

Barbequeing... burgers...?

Are you guys sure you're doing a barbecue?

LightWraith
2009-04-06, 05:59 PM

We Troglandians (?) have a rather loose definition (sometimes) of Barbecue. It pretty much just has to involve a grill to qualify.

No update on my front... still broke, though I should be employed by the summer at the latest. I'll let y'all know when I know more.

skywalker
2009-04-06, 10:45 PM
Third, my job is wierd in that not only did I get a $0.50 raise before the normal 90 days (like I was told would happen), I got it without any kind of notification. I just found out a couple days ago when I was looking at my last check stub that I was getting paid more than before. It comes out to around $20 per check more (after taxes), so it's not a whole lot of difference, but it will help me live slightly more comfortably while still saving money.

$20 more per check is something we in the... "land of skywalker" like to call... a crapton of difference. Unless you're making craptons already? $20 more per check is... 6.6 meals at McDonald's on the dollar menu. Or... A filet mignon. Or like 4 boxes of pop-tarts...

How do you define barbeque? Cookout, perhaps would be the better term? Or even "grilling out?"

EDIT: Mmmm, grilling out. Burgers, steaks. Skywalker is excited for summer :smalltongue:

SMEE
2009-04-07, 04:28 AM
How do you define barbeque? Cookout, perhaps would be the better term? Or even "grilling out?"

A lousy definition can be found here:
http://www.maria-brazil.org/brazilian_barbecue.htm

A good barbeque involves at least one quarter of a whole cattle in different cuts, sausages, white meat, chicken hearts, rice and tons of salad.
The meats are to be cooked in coal or wooden fire.

Mmm... barbeque.

Krade
2009-04-07, 02:46 PM
$20 more per check is something we in the... "land of skywalker" like to call... a crapton of difference. Unless you're making craptons already? $20 more per check is... 6.6 meals at McDonald's on the dollar menu. Or... A filet mignon. Or like 4 boxes of pop-tarts...

For me, $20 is 4 meals at Yats (http://www.yatscajuncreole.com/). Seriously the best restaraunt EVAR!!! And its right across the street from where I work, so I go there probably far too often. For how much I'm making ($8/hr, ~40hr/wk with about 20% taken by taxes), $20 after taxes is about 4% of my check. Not a big deal.

In other news, there is no way I could possibly get my mom to go camping in JC at the appropriate time. So that whole business about me bringing things for the cookout is moot. I may be able to get Ranis to go this year and get a ride from him (I tried last year but he couldn't get off work or something), and if so, I could still bring stuff. I'm not very hopeful though.

Well kids, that's all for today.

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 08:37 AM
Planning a fair bit ahead hear, but - does this generally occur the same time every year? Cause I wont be able to make it this time around, but I will hopefully be able to swing by next year.

Also: SMEE, wow, you guys have cool barbeques. Very different to Oz though.

SMEE
2009-04-08, 10:08 AM
@Felix:

Yes. I wish I could go to the meet-up so I could show them what is a true barbecue. :smallmad:
But it seems it'll have to wait until 2010. A pity. :smallfrown:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-08, 10:10 AM
2010 will not be the year of the tiger. It will be the year of the playground meet-ups.

tyckspoon
2009-04-08, 10:51 AM
In other news, there is no way I could possibly get my mom to go camping in JC at the appropriate time. So that whole business about me bringing things for the cookout is moot. I may be able to get Ranis to go this year and get a ride from him (I tried last year but he couldn't get off work or something), and if so, I could still bring stuff. I'm not very hopeful though.

Well kids, that's all for today.

I can drive ya. Although I still need to file my time-off request.

Alarra
2009-04-08, 12:58 PM
Planning a fair bit ahead hear, but - does this generally occur the same time every year? Cause I wont be able to make it this time around, but I will hopefully be able to swing by next year.

Every year so far it has occurred the last weekend in June. I imagine this will continue to be the case. :smallsmile:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-04-08, 01:08 PM
There is talk of moving it around a bit in 2012 to coincide with the end of the Mayan calendar, but nothing have come of that, yet.

Trog
2009-04-08, 03:16 PM
There is talk of moving it around a bit in 2012 to coincide with the end of the Mayan calendar, but nothing have come of that, yet.
Heh! Is that the year Death is finally showing up to the meetup? :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-09, 01:05 AM
Do we have a current tally of likely attendees at this point? I'm just curious.

*goes back to counting the days until the meetup*

*79 days to go...*

:smallcool:

Felixaar
2009-04-09, 01:14 AM
Every year so far it has occurred the last weekend in June. I imagine this will continue to be the case. :smallsmile:

Thanks! *scribbles*

SMEE - and then we'll show you how we do it in Australia :smallbiggrin:

Penguinsushi
2009-04-10, 02:08 PM
Do we have a current tally of likely attendees at this point? I'm just curious.

*goes back to counting the days until the meetup*

*79 days to go...*

I asked llama a while back if he was going to track that in the first post (like you did last year), but thus far i don't think he's had the chance...

~PS

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-10, 02:56 PM
The peoples tally, just because I had some time and was also curious.

4 Billtodamax, Felix, Lupy
3 Syka, Lightwraith, Skywalker, Phoekun
2.75 FLWiPig
2.5 Reinholdt, Vael
2 Shadow, Zaragon, Dirk Kris, Tyckspoon, Mordokai, Banjo and the missus, Trog, Cristo and the missus, rtg0922, Thes.
1 Mountain Fearie and Smellie Hippie, Krade, Alarra and Zeb, Raldor/TVT, Atreyu, Penguin Sushi and Bardic Bunny, Archives Ninja.

3 4) Not really.'s
4 3) Weak Maybe's
3 people between 3) and 2)
12 2) Strong Maybe's
10 1) Gonna be there's

If you would say that everybody
Then there would be 32 people.
With 3 and higher.
Then there would be 29 people.
With 2 and higher.
Then there would be 22 people.
With only the strongness of 1.
Then there would be 10 people.

Ofcourse I just counted the ones who either classified them in the numbers( 1)2)3)4) ) or the terms(not really, strong/weak maybe and definetely)

Sorry if I missed anybody

Penguinsushi
2009-04-10, 03:38 PM
For the counting:

Myself and the Bardic Bunny will be 1's; the Archives Ninja and the Llama will be also (since we're locals). Indurain also promised to be here, and i think Thes registered as a 'strong maybe'.

~PS

skywalker
2009-04-11, 12:39 AM
Heh! Is that the year Death is finally showing up to the meetup? :smalltongue:

Supposedly it's more like reaching "1000000" on your odometer than like "we know the world will end on this date."

Also supposedly, the Maya would've partied like crazy about this. So either way, they would've won :smallbiggrin:

I think that's a good enough reason to shift the date, altho of course that date (in 2012) is very close to Christmas, will interfere with the youths who want to come, as well as, well, you know, Christmas.

Finally, in more related, on topic news, I'd classify myself as "strong maybe" now.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-11, 01:52 AM
Rabbit will not be able to make it this year, due to financial issues.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-11, 01:58 AM
Will Noir be able to make it?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-11, 02:01 AM
Will Noir be able to make it?

Considering as Noir and I were going to come along as a duo, and she had no interest unless I was going, no.

Griever
2009-04-11, 02:05 AM
We must away 'ere break of day... to find our long forgotten gold.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-11, 10:47 AM
I thought we upgraded our status to a 1. After all, we've already made the hotel reservation and everything (the only left is Cris requesting the days, but he has never been turned down for PTO yet).

Zaragon
2009-04-12, 01:18 PM
Change my status to 1 (confirmed).

I'm not 100% sure what time I'll arrive yet. I've moved since the last time I attended, and I'll be taking different roads, so I don't know how long the drive will be.

If there is anyone in the Raleigh/Durham NC area that needs a ride, let me know. I have a wagon, so I have plenty of room.

(or Greensboro or Winston-Salem, for that matter, I'll be going right through both of them)

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-13, 11:10 AM
(the only left is Cris requesting the days, but he has never been turned down for PTO yet).

Which I have now done. So this is your official notice to GET OFF MY BACK, WOMAN! :smalltongue:

Now we play the waiting game...

...it's only...over two months away...

...crap...

ArchivesNinja
2009-04-14, 10:11 AM
@Felix:

Yes. I wish I could go to the meet-up so I could show them what is a true barbecue. :smallmad:
But it seems it'll have to wait until 2010. A pity. :smallfrown:

Well, in the southern (and especially southeast) parts of Trogland, folks take their bbq seriously. How seriously? Well, they wrote a song. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.truveo.com/The-BBQ-Song/id/1683829014

Cobra_Ikari
2009-04-14, 01:05 PM
If anyone I know ends up going, I'll be a maybe?

Alarra
2009-04-14, 01:44 PM
*pokes Cobra* I know you! I'm going! Or do you mean someone nearby that could drive you?

Krade
2009-04-14, 01:45 PM
I just thought I'd tell everyone again how much I'm looking forward to this. I just got to play Red Dragon Inn with 8 people the other day and I must say it was fully awesome. I can't wait to do it again, and I'm sure some of you remember it from GenCon. The biggest problem with it that I noticed was that someone lost all his money and lost before his second turn (and it was his birthday, too:smallredface:).

I can drive ya. Although I still need to file my time-off request.Last I checked you were still a 2. If that has changed, awesome. Maybe we could also get Ranis to come to help with gas costs? I will have plenty of money by then so there shouldn't be too many problems in that area.

I was waiting until I was absolutely sure on how I was going to get there before I requested time off. The Greyhound schedule might make me need an extra day off (or at least a day where I get off 3 hours earlier than normal). If I could get a ride, we could leave early Friday morning (I'm thinking 7am) and get there by early afternoon (maybe 3pm or so).

Anyways, Send me a PM sometime and maybe we can work something out.

Shadow
2009-04-14, 02:12 PM
My status hasn't changed yet. I'll keep you posted as we get nearer.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-14, 02:23 PM
I'll add a very weak maybe. If I get a summer practice in the States and can secure a free weekend.

Or if you can, like, push it to August.

Oh, if I do come and you refuse to serve me drinks, someone's gonna get kicked in the family jewels.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-14, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I'l be of legal drinking age then.

Now I just need a teleporter and a clone for the weekend....

Thes Hunter
2009-04-14, 10:39 PM
I have found that I have a lot more vacation time than I thought... but I also found out that I am going to a wedding that I hadn't planned on.

So it is still a bit up in the air but still a pretty strong yes.

Would anyone in the Chicagoland area be looking for people to share the ride with?

I promise I am mostly sane.

Indurain
2009-04-15, 01:46 AM

LIES!!! PURE LIES!!

That is all.

(Not really, actually if there's anyone in the Greater Toronto Area interested in coming, I could provide a ride for a share of the ransom gas money.

Actually, if you fall anywhere along the route from Brampton, ON to JC [Google Maps wasn't letting me link my route so just type it in yourself to see if you qualify,] I can help with rides. As long as you don't smell. Being a sociable person helps too.)

Shadow
2009-04-15, 09:55 AM
Let's not all fight over who gets to ride with me if I end up coming, ok?

skywalker
2009-04-15, 10:02 PM
I'll add a very weak maybe. If I get a summer practice in the States and can secure a free weekend.

Or if you can, like, push it to August.

Oh, if I do come and you refuse to serve me drinks, someone's gonna get kicked in the family jewels.

Khan, you gotta be cool about these sorts of things. This family jewels business qualifies as very not-cool.

Yeah, I'l be of legal drinking age then.

I doubt you will be of age here.

So it is still a bit up in the air but still a pretty strong yes.

Would anyone in the Chicagoland area be looking for people to share the ride with?

You like Michigan. First of all, I question this "sanity" of which you speak. Second, for your safety, I need you to know that I shoot Michigan fans on sight. Sorry, can't be dealt with, just a heads up so you'll be prepared, plan accordingly. :smallwink:

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-17, 10:08 AM
This is a very weak maybe for. I would love to go, but my wife thinks you guys are weird.

*sigh*

She would also not enjoy any of the shenanigans, so that's another addition to the weakness.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-17, 10:47 AM
Shenanigans?

What does she think we're going to do? Sacrifice a lamb?

...cause they made me promise not to do that again.

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-17, 11:00 AM
Because her interests do not coincide with mine. So all the planned activities sound like an amazingly fun time. She would just scowl and ask that we leave. :smalltongue:

It's why I stopped having D&D sessions at our place.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-17, 04:43 PM
Because her interests do not coincide with mine. So all the planned activities sound like an amazingly fun time. She would just scowl and ask that we leave. :smalltongue:

But how else is everyone to meet you?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-17, 04:45 PM
Lunch breaks at work.

Penguinsushi
2009-04-18, 10:39 AM

Man, that sucks.

Actually though, that's kind of funny because most of our "planned activities" don't really revolve around gaming that much. I mean, traditionally on friday night we have board games, etc - but saturday is usually a cookout with some lawn games and maybe the ropes course...and then perhaps some late-night cards at a local grill. Sunday is usually general hanging out (last year it was very crowded hanging out in our livingroom. Hopefully it doesn't rain again this year - there's a *lot* more room in our lawn.). It's actually a fairly -*gasp*- normal array of pastimes.

I guess it's more the company that would make it otherwise...

~PS

Alarra
2009-04-18, 11:17 AM
This is a very weak maybe for. I would love to go, but my wife thinks you guys are weird.

*sigh*

She would also not enjoy any of the shenanigans, so that's another addition to the weakness.

You could come without her, perhaps.

That's sad though.

Lord Blace
2009-04-18, 01:17 PM
I have now gone from having a very good chance of making it... to hardly any chance at all. Because it's either moving out, or go to the meet up. :smallfrown:

skywalker
2009-04-18, 10:09 PM
Man, that sucks.

Actually though, that's kind of funny because most of our "planned activities" don't really revolve around gaming that much. I mean, traditionally on friday night we have board games, etc - but saturday is usually a cookout with some lawn games and maybe the ropes course...and then perhaps some late-night cards at a local grill. Sunday is usually general hanging out (last year it was very crowded hanging out in our livingroom. Hopefully it doesn't rain again this year - there's a *lot* more room in our lawn.). It's actually a fairly -*gasp*- normal array of pastimes.

I guess it's more the company that would make it otherwise...

~PS

I like cards! So much! Summer, thou art so near!

I'd be willing to bet we're so much more normal in person. I know I am... In a weird way...

What kind of cards?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-19, 01:51 AM
I doubt you will be of age here.
Damn you, not-dutch drinking laws!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-19, 01:55 AM
DD, I'm not even of legal drinking age here.
>>
A year and three months, though.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-19, 01:58 AM
:smallconfused:

USAlien drinking laws are weird.

I'm of legal (light) drinking age here in around two months.

But I guess the dutch drinking age law might be a tad low compared to most others.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-19, 01:59 AM
I think the US has the highest age for drinking, at 21.
And there is no "light" or "heavy". Its just "You can drink at 21"

PhoeKun
2009-04-19, 02:06 AM
There are other countries that share the US age, but there is no country with a drinking age higher than 21.

Also: I am 100% perfectly convinced I will not be able to make it to this meetup, even if all the planets aligned and hell froze over and a bunch of other unlikely omens of favorable portent occurred. So... yay? No wait. Unyay. Anti yay.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-19, 01:35 PM
I like cards! So much! Summer, thou art so near!

I'd be willing to bet we're so much more normal in person. I know I am... In a weird way...

What kind of cards?

Let's see... last year had Grave Robbers from Outer Space, Hex Hex, Munchkin Cthulhu, Curses!, Apples to Apples,... Killer Bunnies (I think), ... and a varied assortment of board games.

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-19, 02:12 PM
There are other countries that share the US age, but there is no country with a drinking age higher than 21.

Also: I am 100% perfectly convinced I will not be able to make it to this meetup, even if all the planets aligned and hell froze over and a bunch of other unlikely omens of favorable portent occurred. So... yay? No wait. Unyay. Anti yay.This is decidedly bad news, Phoe. :smallfrown: Who will drive my car now? :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2009-04-19, 03:22 PM
I think the US has the highest age for drinking, at 21.
And there is no "light" or "heavy". Its just "You can drink at 21"

I'm of legal age to drink pretty much everywhere!

*offers a toast to everybody who can't drink yet*

Yep, I'm a wee bit bitchy today!

And, just in case anybody cares... I think we can move my participation on this years meeting to next to zero. Money problems and all that.

Trog
2009-04-19, 03:37 PM
This is decidedly bad news, Phoe. :smallfrown: Who will drive my car now? :smalltongue:

Very True. No Phoe chauffeur makes Trog ==> :smallfrown:

And probably makes Trog have to walk instead too. :smalltongue:

LadyMeyers
2009-04-19, 06:47 PM
And, just in case anybody cares... I think we can move my participation on this years meeting to next to zero. Money problems and all that.

Sad! That means I have to wait another year to meet my brother-in-law...

Reinholdt
2009-04-19, 07:45 PM
I'm of legal age to drink pretty much everywhere!

*offers a toast to everybody who can't drink yet*

Yep, I'm a wee bit bitchy today!

:smallfrown:
No Mordokai. No Rabbit. No Phoekun.
Amongst others.
This keeps up and if I make it, I'll end up being alone with the Meyers.
Please don't leave me alone with them. :smalleek:

Penguinsushi
2009-04-19, 10:54 PM
Let's see... last year had Grave Robbers from Outer Space, Hex Hex, Munchkin Cthulhu, Curses!, Apples to Apples,... Killer Bunnies (I think), ... and a varied assortment of board games.

We've also been known to play some euchre, shanghai rummy and a few other "normalish" card games...

~PS

Shadow
2009-04-21, 08:32 AM
We've also been known to play some euchre, shanghai rummy and a few other "normalish" card games...

~PS

Shanghai rummy?
Is it possible that there's a version of rummy that I was unaware of?!?

Jack Squat
2009-04-21, 08:48 AM
Shanghai rummy?
Is it possible that there's a version of rummy that I was unaware of?!?

Also known as Contract Rummy (http://www.pagat.com/rummy/ctrummy.html#shanghai). I've played it before, but not under either of those names.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-21, 08:54 AM
No Mordokai. No Rabbit. No Phoekun.
Amongst others.
This keeps up and if I make it, I'll end up being alone with the Meyers.
Please don't leave me alone with them. :smalleek:

Yeah, you might find out that we're *gasp!* pretty normal :smalltongue:

Shadow
2009-04-21, 08:56 AM
Also known as Contract Rummy (http://www.pagat.com/rummy/ctrummy.html#shanghai). I've played it before, but not under either of those names.

Contract rummy then. Nevermind. I've been playing that with the family for decades.

Mordokai
2009-04-21, 09:20 AM
Yeah, you might find out that we're *gasp!* pretty normal :smalltongue:

Lies! All lies! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

smellie_hippie
2009-04-21, 11:07 AM
Any chance we can get an update on the first post on who is on our list so far? As we get closer to the date, we need to look into arramgements for sleeping, events and meal prep.

Sorry to disrupt the friendly banter with boring stuff... :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2009-04-21, 01:35 PM
Contract rummy then. Nevermind. I've been playing that with the family for decades.

Yeah, that looks about right - though the rules i was taught are just a little different from the link there (not that that's surprising - i mean, it's rummy.).

~PS

Supagoof
2009-04-21, 02:06 PM
Weak Maybe, with potential for going higher.

Possible fail points....

Currently coordinating with the wife our vacation travels this summer. Right now, I don't think that weekend is booked. However, she's my social calendar keeper and would remind me if I'm overlooking something.

Also, money wise, it's a toss between this and Gen-Con. And seeing how I haven't done anything for Gen-Con (heard it's a bit late to plan for that) then this is winning the battle of where to spend the money.

As for travel - I'd be heading from the Twin Cities and driving down. Now...this has advantages if the fail points work out. This means heading through WI (Trog, Thes) and possibly through Chi-Town (Meyers and Shadow clan(s)?). So, potential sharing of resources = less costly of trip.

Amongst things I have as a resources - access to RV(s). I can potentially get access to one that sleeps 5 (overhead bunck sleeps 2, dinette sleeps 2, couch sleeps 1) comfy to one that sleeps 10 (overhead bunk-2, dinette-2, couch-2, bedroom-2 and bunk beds-2@1ea) comfy. Now, the biggest drawback for those is cost of gas. The one that sleeps 5 comfy gets roughly 15mpg, and the one that sleeps 10 gets 7mpg. But they do allow for a more comfy ride and trip.

And my wife got back to me about that weekend, it looks open for me. So, put me up to a Strong Maybe! :smallsmile:

Alarra
2009-04-21, 03:03 PM
I updated the first post with everyone and their liklihood of making it.

As of this point, I've no idea who's staying where, except that I think Krade called a couch in the igloo, and Trog's staying at the Hippie Hut again? Locals, if you let me know how many spots you have and what have been spoken for, I'll update that in the list as well.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-21, 03:08 PM
We've already reserved a room at a nearby hotel.

Mordokai
2009-04-21, 03:09 PM
You want to move me under Weak maybe. Very weak.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-21, 03:12 PM
Rub it in, why don't ya? :smalltongue:

Krade
2009-04-21, 05:12 PM
Me bringing foodstuffs is still up in the air, but as for games I'll definitely be bringing Red Dragon Inn, maybe some of my Munchkin sets (maybe), Zombie Fluxx, and perhaps some 4e books. I've been wrestling with the idea of running an encounter that will basically be play-testing this monster I made a few months ago. It's probably way overpowered for first level characters, but that's what's gonna go against it. Perhaps I could make them level 2? Who knows, I haven't done anything with it since I finished statting it back in November. If there's enough interest, I'll probably get off my lazy ass and make some characters for people to use. If anybody wants in on it, let me know what kind of character you might want for it and I'll see what I can do. I have the core rulebooks, PHB2, and Adventurer's Vault.

P.S.: I've never DM'd before, so adventurers beware:smallamused:

Mordokai
2009-04-22, 10:53 AM
It's now official. I'm not coming this year, so you may as well cross my participation out.

Penguinsushi
2009-04-22, 01:26 PM
@Supagoof: we are *way* cheaper than Gen-Con. :smallamused:

@Alarra: As you said, our couch is reserved. In theory, we still have a guest room that could accommodate another forumite or perhaps a couple. It's unfurnished though - an air mattress would probably be a good thing for any perspective lodgers to bring.

~PS

skywalker
2009-04-23, 03:40 AM
So what about... say maybe... poker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUND9AsL_6M)?

I am very interested anytime cards are involved... But generally more in the gambling sort of way (not that there would be any gambling, it being against TN laws and all that...).

D&D, cards, late-night food, weird people, and RVs! I also love RVs! Can we play poker in an RV?

Alarra
2009-04-23, 07:43 AM
Poker is something we do at a lot of meetups, although we've not played it at JC. I'll play though. *likes poker muchly*

Supagoof
2009-04-23, 12:26 PM
I'll bring Poker Chips. We could also play a live round of WW or two.

And still tenative on bringing an RV. If I don't, can I aquire some floor space somewhere? I has an air mattress and a sleeping bag. And I don't snore (much).

But bump my status up to definitely in. I shall be there! Though sadly, Mrs Goof who hosts Partylite shows has to host one that weekend, so she will not be in attendance.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-23, 12:40 PM
I'll bring Poker Chips. We could also play a live round of WW or two.

And still tenative on bringing an RV. If I don't, can I aquire some floor space somewhere? I has an air mattress and a sleeping bag. And I don't snore (much).

But bump my status up to definitely in. I shall be there! Though sadly, Mrs Goof who hosts Partylite shows has to host one that weekend, so she will not be in attendance.

...excellent...

...my master plan continues...:smallamused:

Supagoof
2009-04-23, 12:51 PM
...excellent...

...my master plan continues...:smallamused:
Bring It! :smallwink:

FYI - You can't stop this. You can only hope to contain it. :smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-23, 12:56 PM
I am literaly bouncing in my chair in anticipation.

'Course...they may have more to do with the fact that I'm on my 5th coffee...

...and I had a Red Bull at lunch...

...say...does everything seem kinda twitchy to you guys?

Shadow
2009-04-23, 01:36 PM
...say...does everything seem kinda twitchy to you guys?

Yeah, but I just assumed that it was withdrawl.... :smallredface:

LadyMeyers
2009-04-25, 05:13 PM
Lies! All lies! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

How would you know that? You haven't met me...

And @ Cris: You don't drink coffee or Red Bull...

LightWraith
2009-04-26, 11:33 AM
And @ Cris: You don't drink coffee or Red Bull...

Ooh... busted.

You can move me to a Strong Maybe...

I just got a job as a lifeguard, so I'll have money coming in soon. The only questions are whether I'll be able to get the time off and things like transportation. Not sure if I'll be +1 again this year, still have to ask Drew if he's interested.

After the debacle with the camping thing last year, I'll probably reserve a room at the bizarrely convenient hotel this year. If I end up solo I'd be willing to share a room to drop costs, but nothing certain yet.

Mordokai
2009-04-26, 11:53 AM
How would you know that? You haven't met me...

...yet. And while I bet you can't be worse than Cristo... being married to him probably didn't do you much good.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-04-26, 12:05 PM
Level 3.5: Medium Maybe

Really intended to this year... but my current job has me working every saturday. Might 'might' be able to get someone to take my place and then I'll definitely be headed up. That's the only thing stopping me.

Current Location: Kennesaw, GA
Estimated Driving Time: 5 Hours
Sleeping Arrangements: I can sleep in my tahoe just fine. Did it for a week last month while hiking the Okefenokee swamp.
Random Notes
- I wish to run a game
- I 'may' be able to take a hitchhiker.
- I don't drink or smoke anything funny so I volunteer for designated driver services (as long as you don't set my hair on fire (it's happened). Then you get left on the side of the road or tied on top to the bike rack, your choice.)
No smoking in the car. Otherwise it's cool.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-26, 04:31 PM
...yet. And while I bet you can't be worse than Cristo... being married to him probably didn't do you much good.

And how do you know that the influence hasn't been the other way around...

Mordokai
2009-04-26, 05:11 PM
Because if it was, it certainly isn't showing.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-26, 07:12 PM
And how do you know that the influence hasn't been the other way around...

Don't flatter yourself, honey :smalltongue:

Mountain_Faerie
2009-04-26, 08:06 PM
After the debacle with the camping thing last year, I'll probably reserve a room at the bizarrely convenient hotel this year. If I end up solo I'd be willing to share a room to drop costs, but nothing certain yet.

LightWraith, we'd love to see Drew again! I hope you both can come...

RTGoodman
2009-04-26, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately, I still can't confirm whether I'll make it or not (I'm still a Strong Maybe, though), but it is looking pretty positive. Money could be the only problem - my current job sucks (like $69 a day, maybe 6-10 days per month), and I can't seem to find a better one, so gas and lodging could be a problem.

If possible, can someone update on the hotels close to the Meet-Up and their prices, or if there are any folks that would be willing to host a pudgy, nerdy fellow from the next state over?

(I would VERY much like to make it, too - so many people I want to actually meet!)

AmberVael
2009-04-26, 10:14 PM
Level 3.5: Medium Maybe

Really intended to this year... but my current job has me working every saturday. Might 'might' be able to get someone to take my place and then I'll definitely be headed up. That's the only thing stopping me.

Current Location: Kennesaw, GA
Estimated Driving Time: 5 Hours
Sleeping Arrangements: I can sleep in my tahoe just fine. Did it for a week last month while hiking the Okefenokee swamp.
Random Notes
- I wish to run a game
- I 'may' be able to take a hitchhiker.
- I don't drink or smoke anything funny so I volunteer for designated driver services (as long as you don't set my hair on fire (it's happened). Then you get left on the side of the road or tied on top to the bike rack, your choice.)

Actually, if you're willing to take someone along, then that might help me out immensely with transportation problems (I don't trust my car over long distances, and paying for a flight to Tennessee from my location just seems plain silly).
It might actually make going to the meet up far more financially feasible for me.

skywalker
2009-04-27, 12:47 AM

A woman got arrested for doing the first to her kids. I've personally always wanted to be tied to a bike rack... What would you be tying with? I might do it on purpose just to see (plus I get the added fun of setting someone's hair on fire! Two life goals crossed off at once! Awesome!)

Side note: I'm probably not making a very good case for us being normal, huh?

Thes Hunter
2009-04-27, 12:54 AM
Supa, if you don't do the RV do you still want to carpool?

I am not sure where I will be staying. I might be staying with his nakedness, but I haven't heard anything on that lately.

I haven't asked for the days off yet, but I have the time. And I believe they would rather me use up the vacation time while i am still working then pay out when I am not. :smallwink:

Supagoof
2009-04-27, 01:11 AM
Absolutely Thessie. I'd totally be up for that. RV or no RV I would enjoy the company. I'm thinking probably a Thu-Sun trip, with Thu & Sun being the travel days. Though I get a ridiculous amount of Vaca, so I can extend that as needed.

Checking with the relatives on getting use of the camper. I know I can get the large one no problem (belongs to parents), but at $6-8 mpg that's an expensive drive. So I'll see if I can grab the smaller one (uncle) with better fuel economy. Then it's a matter of finding parking spot where we'd have access to restroom facilities. (Unless one of the hosts has an RV sewer hookup in their yard :smalleek: :smallamused:) I'll send word as soon as I know for certain.

smellie_hippie
2009-04-27, 01:37 PM
As of this point, I've no idea who's staying where, except that I think Krade called a couch in the igloo, and Trog's staying at the Hippie Hut again? Locals, if you let me know how many spots you have and what have been spoken for, I'll update that in the list as well.

Yes, I believe that Trog will be staying at our place again. (since the stain still won't come out...:smallamused:) We also hosted a few others, and may be able to do so again.

Some other addendums:
The ridiculously convenient hotel nearby is the Comfort Inn hotel on S Roan Street Johnson City TN, 37601 I believe This is it. (forgot how to tag a link)http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN444

Additionally, the hippie hut may be relocating (hopefully). This makes the ridiculously accessible hotel a little less... ridiculously accesible. but not overly so. It may also give extra space at the hut for guests... but that needs to be confirmed before I make any offers.

Looking forward to seeing you all again!

LadyMeyers
2009-04-27, 05:20 PM
Because if it was, it certainly isn't showing.

How do you know he wasn't worse before he met me... after all, you didn't know him then...

Mordokai
2009-04-27, 05:24 PM
Because if I imagine him being worse than he is now... we'll, the pure though of that makes me shudder.

LadyMeyers
2009-04-27, 06:16 PM
Because if I imagine him being worse than he is now... we'll, the pure though of that makes me shudder.

Oh, come now, he's not that bad...

Mordokai
2009-04-28, 03:19 AM
*WIS check, failed*

You're right. He's worse :smalltongue: You of all people should know that :smallbiggrin:

I really need to stop...

mangosta71
2009-04-28, 01:13 PM
Put me down as a maybe. TN is only one state over so it can't be more than a 6 hour drive.

Penguinsushi
2009-04-28, 04:22 PM
Put me down as a maybe. TN is only one state over so it can't be more than a 6 hour drive.

You'd think that - but it depends on *which* state "over" you are. It takes close to 8 to get to Memphis from here (depending on how you drive)...

...conversely, we're less than an hour from NC and VA...

:smallamused:

~PS

LadyMeyers
2009-04-28, 06:42 PM
*WIS check, failed*

You're right. He's worse :smalltongue: You of all people should know that :smallbiggrin:

I really need to stop...

I didn't say he'd gotten worse. He's better now... :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2009-04-28, 07:30 PM
Absolutely Thessie. I'd totally be up for that. RV or no RV I would enjoy the company. I'm thinking probably a Thu-Sun trip, with Thu & Sun being the travel days. Though I get a ridiculous amount of Vaca, so I can extend that as needed.

Checking with the relatives on getting use of the camper. I know I can get the large one no problem (belongs to parents), but at $6-8 mpg that's an expensive drive. So I'll see if I can grab the smaller one (uncle) with better fuel economy. Then it's a matter of finding parking spot where we'd have access to restroom facilities. (Unless one of the hosts has an RV sewer hookup in their yard :smalleek: :smallamused:) I'll send word as soon as I know for certain.

A Thursday-Sunday trip works for me. As well as a Thu-Monday trip.

LightWraith
2009-04-29, 01:03 AM
You'd think that - but it depends on *which* state "over" you are. It takes close to 8 to get to Memphis from here (depending on how you drive)...

...conversely, we're less than an hour from NC and VA...

:smallamused:

~PS

Yeah... stupid long state...

LightWraith, we'd love to see Drew again! I hope you both can come...

Talked to Drew about it, and he's looking forward to getting out of town again, so now it's just a transportation, work and lodging logistical issue. Still going to say Strong Maybe until I know how work is going to... work.

Edit: Eh, went ahead and bit the bullet and reserved a room at the Comfort Inn. I figure I can always cancel it later if we end up not being able to go.

Penguinsushi
2009-05-03, 03:15 PM
This just in: The land of Spare 'Oom has been claimed for the meetup weekend by the Archives Ninja & co. Krade, you still get the couch. I think this makes us full up, unfortunately.

That said, if anyone's extremely desperate and Krade wants to share the livingroom, one or two more are welcome to bring sleeping bags or whatever. Note that we have but one bathroom in the Igloo though... ...that's probably our biggest limiting factor.

~PS

Indurain
2009-05-04, 12:42 AM
The only obstacle that stood in my way has been vanquished. For the first time in my long life, I HAVE A PASSPORT!!

Now I can cross the border. Now to start looking into car rentals, I don't know if Dakota can make that long of a trip anymore...*sniff*

Before anyone asks, Dakota is my car.

Krade
2009-05-08, 01:23 PM
This just in: The land of Spare 'Oom has been claimed for the meetup weekend by the Archives Ninja & co. Krade, you still get the couch. I think this makes us full up, unfortunately.

That said, if anyone's extremely desperate and Krade wants to share the livingroom, one or two more are welcome to bring sleeping bags or whatever. Note that we have but one bathroom in the Igloo though... ...that's probably our biggest limiting factor.

~PS
Well, I'm not gonna say I want to share, but it would be awfully inconsiderate of me to tell my most gracious hosts that they can't have more people crash on their floor. Which is basically the long way of wsaying, "Sure, I don't mind.":smallbiggrin:

LadyMeyers
2009-05-14, 04:09 PM
Yeah... stupid long state...

At least you're still only one (albiet long) state over. You don't have an early (and I do mean, Early) morning ahead of you.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-15, 03:09 AM
I'm Indy's car?

Indurain
2009-05-15, 11:42 AM
I'm Indy's car?

:smallbiggrin:
If so, you have a lot of kms on you.

HarmlessPenguin
2009-05-15, 01:37 PM
Hello, haven't been on the boards for awhile but I'd like to post my interest as a weak maybe that'll likely be bumped up to a strong maybe in joining you all =)

Philistine
2009-05-16, 04:12 PM
<= Strong Maybe, depending on if/where I'm working by then.

I'd be driving in from central AR and would be willing to carpool, though the seating capacity of the Civic is... well, it's a Civic. And I probably qualify as a Scary Stranger.

I fully intend to have the a/c fixed and working again before then, though, so that'll be a plus.

EDIT: Per the Googlemap, JC is just about as far from here as it is from Chicago (634 mi from here to JC vs 644 mi from Chicago to JC). TN is a loooong state.

tyckspoon
2009-05-17, 07:27 PM
Upgrading status to a 1- I got my time off cleared. So.. anybody wanna split a hotel room? Or just offer a bit of floor space, I'm not picky.

smellie_hippie
2009-05-19, 08:34 AM
So...

This weekend I finished my third batch of homebrew beer for the meet-up. I must admit that I have been sampling several of them as I go along... so don't expect an overwhelming beer-fountain when you all get here. :smallamused:

The latest is a 'coffee stout'... and it smells awesome!!! :smallbiggrin:

It also appears that out turnout is going to be considerably smaller this year. :smallfrown: That is a sad thing, but it also might make for easier coordination of events.

We look forward to seeing you all in about a month and a half!! :smallbiggrin:

The Valiant Turtle
2009-05-19, 09:58 PM
My cell phone tried to go for a swim last weekend and apparently water and cell phones don't mix. I got a new phone, but I hadn't backed up my contacts, so I've lost everybody's phone numbers. I got a copy of my wifes contacts, but right now there's not a person in my contact list who knows what THAC0 stands for, which makes me a sad turtle.

(I know, I never call, but I really have been meaning to.)

Gitman00
2009-05-20, 08:31 AM
Can't do it this year, I'm afraid. JC's a long way to travel from Korea. :smallfrown:

I'll be back in October though, so if there's a Christmas get-together I might be able to attend. I'm really gonna miss Hippie's coffee stout!

mangosta71
2009-05-20, 09:02 AM
Update to Strong Maybe. Working out some details, but it's fairly likely that I'll be able to make it.

Penguinsushi
2009-05-20, 09:52 PM
Can't do it this year, I'm afraid. JC's a long way to travel from Korea. :smallfrown:

I'll be back in October though, so if there's a Christmas get-together I might be able to attend. I'm really gonna miss Hippie's coffee stout!

Awww. :smallfrown: I don't think we've ever had an "official" christmas/winter meetup here, but come hang out some time anyway. I'm sure Hippie would brew some more if you came in.

Take care, man.

~PS

Thes Hunter
2009-05-21, 10:27 PM
I am actually not going to be living in Wisconsin at the end of June, I'll be living in Detroit.

So I can't carpool with Supagoof anymore! I"m soo sad!

Well technically I could, but that would leave me only a couple days to finish the move, and I don't think that would be good.

Gitman00
2009-05-22, 06:53 AM
Awww. :smallfrown: I don't think we've ever had an "official" christmas/winter meetup here, but come hang out some time anyway. I'm sure Hippie would brew some more if you came in.

Take care, man.

~PS

Sweet. I may just take you guys up on that.

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-22, 09:47 PM

I'll be back in October though, so if there's a Christmas get-together I might be able to attend. I'm really gonna miss Hippie's coffee stout!:smallfrown:
But, but, you, Zaragon, Alarra, and I comprise the entire "out of towner" element of the first JC meetup and all four of us came back for JC II. It won't be the same without you there.

If you do manage to make it down there when you come back stateside, let everyone know. I know Alarra and I will endeavor to make it down to hang out with you. :smallsmile:

Philistine
2009-05-22, 10:47 PM
Well, I got the a/c fixed in the car and have now booked a hotel room for the weekend in question. It seems that an upgrade to "Definitely" is in order.

Trog
2009-05-23, 12:21 AM
Just an update that I will not be attending the meetup this year after all. I hope everyone has a good time and if you are reading this you need to drink a hippie brew for me. :smallwink:

skywalker
2009-05-23, 12:23 AM
Just an update that I will not be attending the meetup this year after all. I hope everyone has a good time and if you are reading this you need to drink a hippie brew for me. :smallwink:

I was really looking forward to meeting you. :frown:

Penguinsushi
2009-05-23, 08:10 AM

Boooooooooo. :smallfrown:

Seems the so-called "real-life" is getting in a lot of peoples' way this year.

~PS

Gitman00
2009-05-24, 02:17 PM
But, but, you, Zaragon, Alarra, and I comprise the entire "out of towner" element of the first JC meetup and all four of us came back for JC II. It won't be the same without you there.

If you do manage to make it down there when you come back stateside, let everyone know. I know Alarra and I will endeavor to make it down to hang out with you. :smallsmile:

Sweet. I'll definitely do that. I may have to send you guys a little somethin-somethin' from the land of kimchi in the meantime. *digs through MREs looking for Skittles*

Supagoof
2009-05-29, 02:36 AM
I am actually not going to be living in Wisconsin at the end of June, I'll be living in Detroit.

So I can't carpool with Supagoof anymore! I"m soo sad!

Well technically I could, but that would leave me only a couple days to finish the move, and I don't think that would be good.
Bah. No Thes and No Trog make Goof unhappy. :smallfrown: Go vote me for Bard ITP and make me happy again. :smalltongue:

And Shadow doesn't even show up in Vegas when we planned to meet. (He's a myth. He's not real! It's all a con.) :smallamused:

Ok, - is there floor space available at any hut/abode or a spot I can put up a tent or someone who wants to split a hotel room? Looks like I'll be driving solo, unless anyone else wants to hop into the ride from Minneapolis to Tennessee (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Minneapolis,+MN&daddr=johnson+city,+TN&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=33.259793,79.101563&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=5). Which will be passing through Chicago and Indianapolis.

Shadow
2009-05-29, 11:21 AM
And Shadow doesn't even show up in Vegas when we planned to meet. (He's a myth. He's not real! It's all a con.) :smallamused

I was actually at the airport when I said I would be (because I had to catch that pesky plane back) but my phone was dead so I didn't know where to meet you.
Ask the girl who works at Wendy's. She'll verify that I exist, becase I complained about how their friggin "value menu" was $2.49. I'm sure she remembers me.

Supagoof
2009-05-29, 12:58 PM
I was actually at the airport when I said I would be (because I had to catch that pesky plane back) but my phone was dead so I didn't know where to meet you.
Ask the girl who works at Wendy's. She'll verify that I exist, becase I complained about how their friggin "value menu" was $2.49. I'm sure she remembers me.
Uh-huh. Because no one ever complains about how outragous the pricing at airports is. :smalltongue:

Unless you're at the meetup....I'm sticking with MYTH!

You should been looking around. I would have been real easy to spot. Goofy hat. Goofy shirt. :smallamused:

LadyMeyers
2009-05-29, 06:17 PM
Uh-huh. Because no one ever complains about how outragous the pricing at airports is. :smalltongue:

Unless you're at the meetup....I'm sticking with MYTH!

You should been looking around. I would have been real easy to spot. Goofy hat. Goofy shirt. :smallamused:

He exists... either that or a figment of imagination was snoring in the backseat of our car on the way back from the meetup last year... and that figment left a pair of boots and sunglasses behind...

Krade
2009-05-31, 12:23 PM
Well, I'd like to say that I'm still coming. However, I'm still unsure as to the means of my arrival. Tyckspoon has not been responding to my PMs and it's getting down to the wire for me to be certain on exactly what days I need off.

Can't wait to see everyone again. It's gonna be a blast, even if a lot of super-cool people can't make it this year.

Edit: I can also affirm that Shadow is a real person and not just an area that does not currently have the pleasure of being lit.

Penguinsushi
2009-06-01, 08:54 AM
Well, we're down to the last month here. T minus 25 days. How're the "strong maybe's" looking?

@Krade: just let us know if/when we need to pick you up somewhere.

@Goof: if nothing else comes up, you can probably share the livingroom with Krade or camp out in our backyard. I'll just mention again that that will bring our capacity to 6, and we have but one bathroom. Be advised.

~PS