PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare's Worst Nightmare (PEACH)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-18, 12:00 AM
Dreamcatcher

http://mail.bris.ac.uk/~lijeh/creweb.jpg

Small Magical Beast (Incorporeal, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 6d10+6 (39 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+2 deflection, +5 dex, +1 size), touch 18, flat-footed 13; or 19 (+5 dex, +3 natural, +1 size), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+6
Attack: Bite +12 touch (1d6 plus midnight venom)
Full Attack: Bite +12 touch (1d6 plus midnight venom)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Darkvision 60 ft., dreamweave, improved grab, low-light vision, midnight venom, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Incorporeal traits, innured of dream, natural invisibility, power resistance 16, slumber sense, strangescuttle, telepathy
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 10 (- against non-incorporeal), Dex 20, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 19, Cha 14
Skills: Autohypnosis +7, Concentration +5, Knowledge (the planes) +6, Lucid Dreaming +13
Feats: Ability Focus (midnight venom), Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (lucid dreaming), Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Any
Advancement: 7-10 HD (Small), 11-16 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Dreamcatcher's are beneficial creatures attracted to homes where misery, and subsequently bad dreams, reside for such locales are rich in nourishment for them. As soon as their bait has fallen asleep they spin their unique webs formed of dreamstuff above them. These webs filter the good dreams from the nightmares upon which the Dreamcatcher feeds. Most seem to have an almost primal anger directed at beings of bad dreams and when they dispatch a caught meal their obvious satisfaction is almost tangible. Dreamcatchers are normally rather neutral in reguards to those whom they guard over during the night, though there are those who actively try to bring peace to troubled homes by the sifting of their dreams. Others however are rather sadistic, feeding and then when their opponent awakes, biting them and filling them with terror as they die.

Though naturally invisible, a Dreamcatcher that is seen as it truley is appears as large, hairless spider covered in chitin of a murky shade. Even darker colored areas form beautiful, complex designs that pulse and twist at random. A pale blueish-white light reflects off of its body like the overhead glow of a full moon. Their two mournful blue eyes are startlingly human, though frantically twitching and of great size, and its eight legs end in grasping fingers. A nightmarish collection of serrated fangs protrude from its wide mouth, partially hidden by a smokey cloud that puffs forth with each breath, giving hint of shape and form within before disolving.

Dreamcatchers may never meet another of their kind their entire life. This is not a problem as dreamcatchers reproduce by gathering the best parts of various dreams their bait produce and weaving it into a great mass. The Dreamcatcher then puts themselves into a 'Vision of Birthing', a process where they literally dream their offspring into existence, the mass of dreamstuff collecting these thoughts and slowly forming them into the proper state. This mass is then often left in heavily populated areas. Nearby dreams resonate with each individual dreamcatcher, forming their personality and alignment. When they hatch they flood the city, spinning miniature webs above hundreds of sleepers. Many then die as they are easily defeated by the captured nightmares, only the strong or cunning surviving. This explains much for the loathing in which they reguard their nemesis of unconsciousness.

Combat
Dreamcatchers are instinctive, merciless hunters that prey soley on beings of bad dreams by trapping them in their webs and then dispatching them with quick thrusts of tooth. If attacked by other beings they have no qualms on shifting their attacks upon the offender. If their foe proves too much they attempt to confuse it with their psionic abilities.

A dreamcatcher's natural attacks are considered magical weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Dreamweave (Su): The web of a dreamcatcher protects its host from all fear affects and harmful powers of the subconscious such as Cerebral Phantasm and Primal Fear, or spells including Nightmare, Phantasmal Killer, and any Oneiromancy types. Benign powers such as Dream however are unaffected. This web takes a full minute of uninterupted work to cover an area of ten feet. The dreamcatcher can spend additional time to further weave its webs, but rarely does so.

This web is invisible and incorporeal, allowing normal beings to pass through, but not those with the incorporeal subtype or beings of dream such as Quori and Night Hags and those possessed or inhabited by any of the like. Such creatures must have True Seeing or like abilities to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while wriggling free. The webbing cannot be burst, though slashing Ghost Touch weapons and natural weapons of incorporeal creatures can damage it. Each 5-foot section has 14 hit points and damage reduction 5/-.

A dreamcatcher can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web. The web last for 8 hours before disolving into nothingness. This triggers all naturally sleeping beings within its area to awaken.

Incorporeal Traits: A dreamcatcher is harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, powers, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. It has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source, except for force effects or attacks made with ghost touch weapons. It can pass through solid objects, but not force effects, at will. Its attacks ignore natural armor, armor, and shields, but deflection bonuses and force effects work normally against them. An incorporeal creature always moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be.

Innured of Dream (Ex): Dreamcatchers have immunity to fear and sleep effects and a +4 bonus against all mind-affecting effects.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Dreamcatcher must hit a Medium or smaller foe with a bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Dreamcatchers receive a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, which is already included in the statistics above. This bonus increases to +6 against dream-based creatures.

Midnight Venom (Su):
A dreamcatcher's bite fills its victim's mind with the most horrible dreams it has feasted upon. The effects of this bite are identical to a phantasmal killer spell. On a successful bite attack, the victim must make a DC 17 Will save. If the save succeeds, the victim overcomes the fear and suffers no additional affect. If the Will save fails, the victim must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or die of fright. Even if the Fortitude save succeeds, the victim still takes 3d6 points of damage. Three times per day this venom can be sprayed as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. This is a mind-affecting fear effect and includes the +2 bonus for the dreamcatcher's Ability Focus feat. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Natural Invisibility (Ex): A Dreamcatcher is effectively invisible as the spell. This ability is constant, allowing a catcher to remain invisible even when attacking. This ability is inherent and not subject to the invisibility purge spell.

Psi-like Abilities:
At will/Empathy, False Sensory Input, Telempathic Projection; 3/day Attraction, Aversion, Cloud Mind, Psionic True Seeing, Wall Walker; 1/day Dream Travel. Manifester level 6th. Save DC's are Charisma based.

Slumber Sense (Su):
A dreamcatcher can sense all sleeping beings within 200 feet, though cannot pinpoint their exact location.

Strangescuttle (Ex):
A dreamcatcher's movements are so intensely surreal and hard to follow that if it moves five feet or more anytime that round all melee and ranged attacks against it are assessed a 20 percent miss chance until its next turn.

Telepathy (Su): A dreamcatcher can communicate telepathically with any creature within 60 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the dreamcatcher if it wishes - no common language is needed.

Skills: Dreamcatchers gain a +4 racial bonus on Concentration, Knowledge (the planes) and Lucid Dreaming checks.

The Glyphstone
2006-05-18, 07:24 AM
Vorpal, you've done it again. Neat. ;D

For Natural Invisibility, I'd suggest adding one of two clauses:
"This ability is not subject to Invisibility Purge or similar spells" - makes it like a Phantom Fungus or Invisible Stalker.

or:
"This ability can be dispelled, but the Dreamcatcher can always choose to restore it as a free action on its next turn." - gives lower-level parties a chance at the thing...in particular, Fighters can only get See Invisibility from items or potions. Aside from True Seeing, I can't think of any other way to reveal invisible beasties - then again, there's always Glitterdust.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-18, 08:13 AM
For Natural Invisibility, I'd suggest adding one of two clauses:
"This ability is not subject to Invisibility Purge or similar spells" - makes it like a Phantom Fungus or Invisible Stalker.
Heh, yeah, should have based it off of one of them instead of the Willowisp. Adjusted.

or:
"This ability can be dispelled, but the Dreamcatcher can always choose to restore it as a free action on its next turn." - gives lower-level parties a chance at the thing...in particular, Fighters can only get See Invisibility from items or potions. Aside from True Seeing, I can't think of any other way to reveal invisible beasties - then again, there's always Glitterdust.
Well, spellwise there is also See Invisibility, a 2nd level spell. Seeming could probably make it visible as well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-18, 11:03 AM
*wince*

Had to adjust the Midnight Venom. Kinda forgot to give a Will save.

Also trying to find a single pic of a dreamcatcher without a bunch of stupid feathers hanging off ::)

Mr Croup
2006-05-18, 11:50 AM
Also trying to find a single pic of a dreamcatcher without a bunch of stupid feathers hanging off ::)

here are a few:
http://www.the7thfire.com/images/dreamcat2.gif

http://lyn.bengaltech.com/old/public/lynimages/DreamCatcher.Plain.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/29/46296546_56de104fd6_m.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-18, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna grab that first one there. Looks like a web. Thanks!

Mr Croup
2006-05-18, 01:31 PM
No problem, glad I could help. Definitely a very interesting creature flavor wise.

The Glyphstone
2006-05-18, 01:57 PM
I left out See Invisibility because it's a personal range spell, so useless to non-spellcasters. (I don't think Personal range spells can be made into potions/oils). Then again, you won't really need the fighter's help to kill it anyways, with only 39 HP.

Don't know about Seeming...I think that might still be overridden by the Invisibility ( you can change what it looks like, but you still can't see it).

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-18, 11:34 PM
I left out See Invisibility because it's a personal range spell, so useless to non-spellcasters. (I don't think Personal range spells can be made into potions/oils). Then again, you won't really need the fighter's help to kill it anyways, with only 39 HP.
Aye, they aren't particularly tough, just got horribly effective defenses.

Don't know about Seeming...I think that might still be overridden by the Invisibility ( you can change what it looks like, but you still can't see it).
Hrmmm, maybe. One of the many things to ponder that probably have no true ruling ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-19, 08:23 AM
*grins*

Someone from the Wizard forums had an interesting idea for a scenario using the Dreamcatcher.

Someone's trying to kill the king via Phantasmal Killer, but can't get past the Dreamcatcher's defenses. So the assasin instead grants the king True Seeing for a time, only to have the king find the Dreamcatcher and become angry at this horrid creature that apparantly is trying to do something!

Call in the heroes, who may dispatch probably the king's one greatest defender of his temporary sleep. Should the dreamcatcher die, the king may yet sleep. Forever ;D

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:30 PM
That is an awesome plothook. Just as long as the heroes are informed soon afterwards that only a genius assassin could possibly have dispatched the king's totem guardian, and that if the man was ever caught he would be executed. Slowly.

Also, the catcher seems pretty big. When I read your description, I think torantula-sized, or maybe cat-sized, so tiny or fine. An incorporeal, invisible, gnome-sized spider that feeds on dreams seems so strange to me. Is there a reason for that? It's an awesome creature in every sense of the word, but it does seem rather small.

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 07:51 PM
I'd had hoped for something related to Dr. Who. Still, a good showing as always, though it seems a bit familiar.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:54 PM
Yeah, is there a spider thing going 'round? If this is going to end up like the crysmal thing...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-12, 12:50 AM
Also, the catcher seems pretty big. When I read your description, I think torantula-sized, or maybe cat-sized, so tiny or fine. An incorporeal, invisible, gnome-sized spider that feeds on dreams seems so strange to me. Is there a reason for that? It's an awesome creature in every sense of the word, but it does seem rather small.
Well, for one, they spin these things all over the house. Also, its kinda hard to wrap up bad dreams when you are the size of an apple. Its not really a spider afterall.

I'd had hoped for something related to Dr. Who. Still, a good showing as always, though it seems a bit familiar.
Familiar?

Yeah, is there a spider thing going 'round?
Well, I posted this, what, half a year ago?