PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] cleric

Jarade
2009-02-28, 07:55 PM
I was wondering if this site has any threads akin to the "Batman's guide" for wizards?

I apologize, but I was unable to find one for myself.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-28, 08:29 PM
I was wondering if this site has any threads akin to the "Batman's guide" for wizards?

I apologize, but I was unable to find one for myself.

Not to my knowledge:
While there is optimization: no one has found a popular culture reference to Clerics.

Martian Manhunter? Nah, more like a Druid.

Green Lantern? Nah, more like Paladin.

Elixer? He can heal like the best of them so fits.

Belasco? He is a villian but he fits too. He can raise the dead, animate dead,and do some mind control (Hold person fits), but he can also control fire, summon blasts of magical energy (Flamestrike?).

Polaris? She can use Divine power and Righteous Might in canon.

Shaman? He does fit pretty well.

Sun fire? Could work if Cleric focused on fire prevention and offense/flight like Air walk.

SoD
2009-02-28, 08:36 PM
I beleive what he wants was a 'here is how to build the most OP cleric you can' thread correct?

Temp.
2009-03-01, 12:13 AM
There's the Cleric handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=691564) over at gleemax, but it's kinda shoddy...

theMycon
2009-03-01, 01:56 AM
Not to my knowledge:
While there is optimization: no one has found a popular culture reference to Clerics.
Bill Nye, the Science Guy? While he does fix everything, and have the ability to "totally flip out and kill people" with his Real Ultimate Power... Science doesn't persist without a lot of drugs.

Bruce Banner, if he were a competent scientist? Wait, that includes its own caveat.

Dr. Jekyll & Mister Hyde?
Not quite. He didn't seem to be just as bright a doctor as Mr. Hyde, though he might have been intelligent in his Barbarian-like rage.

Dr. Jekyll & "Still a Doctor" Hyde?
That... may get it.

sonofzeal
2009-03-01, 02:08 AM
With liberal use of DMM:Persist, "Superman" would be entirely appropriate....

Superman has a huge physical ability scores; a DMM:Persist Cleric has huge physical ability scores.

Superman has a few combat-related powers (heat vision, cold breath) but is at his best when punching the enemy in the face; a DMM:Persist Cleric has a few combat-related powers (Searing Light, Hold Person) but is generally at his best when macing the enemy in the face.

Superman is nigh-invulnerable to foes who fight in physical combat but has a weakness to magic; a DMM:Persist Cleric is nigh-invulnerable to foes who fight in physical combat but can still fall prey to save-or-die or Dispel Magic.

Superman has a city in a bottle; a DMM:Persist Cleric has.... uh.... okay fine, this analogy only goes so far. But still.

BRC
2009-03-01, 02:36 AM
Well, letsee, a Wizard is defined as picking the right tool for the right job, hence Batman. A cleric is usually thought of in a supporting role, but can kick some pretty serious ass. Maybe "Being Jekyll", with the guide seperated into two parts, one part is focused on Being Jekyll, that is, healing and support stuff (as a Doctor), and the other is focused on Being Hyde, that is, CoD zilla...Except in the origional story, Hyde didn't have any super strength or anything, he was just evil.

Oooh, I got it, "Being Stark". Tony Stark is a millitary engineer, he dosn't kill people, he just makes other people better at it. However, if you put a cleric in a cave...with a box of scrolls (And Nightsticks), you get Iron Man, by which I mean CoD Zilla.

Eldariel
2009-03-01, 02:42 AM
What are you guys blabbering about? Obviously the Cleric-guide is named "Being Godzilla". I mean, where do you think "CoDzilla" comes from? Don't miss the "God" in that name either.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-01, 07:16 PM
No, this information is either too obvious (Divine Power, Divine Metamagic + Persistent Spell), or scattered in various places. Personally I like Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) + Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion) for combat power, with (obviously) Divine Power to fix the poor BAB issue.

Look around. Search (if you can fight through server lag) is your friend.

Kroy
2009-03-01, 07:20 PM
Bill Nye, the Science Guy? While he does fix everything, and have the ability to "totally flip out and kill people" with his Real Ultimate Power... Science doesn't persist without a lot of drugs.

QFT! Can I sig your awesomeness?

theMycon
2009-03-01, 08:16 PM
Certainly. I'd be flattered.