PDA

View Full Version : To the DM's: What is the craziest thing a player has done?

Zergrusheddie
2009-02-28, 09:29 PM
Every player has a job (nay, a duty!) to try to pull some totally crazy thing over the DM. All of my DM's have simply said "If you manage to slip something past me, you can do it without consequence... once". So, what is the mosr crazy/overpowered thing your players have tried or pulled on you?

This should lead to some funny stories. Best of luck.
-Eddie

BRC
2009-02-28, 09:35 PM
Casting Entangle indoors, when I said there wern't any plants that could be used for it, I let him make a spellcraft check to use the shag carpeting. It worked, and the evil conspiracy's strike team of sorcerors and duskblades were tangled up in a carpet...

Drider
2009-02-28, 09:38 PM
Casting Entangle indoors, when I said there wern't any plants that could be used for it, I let him make a spellcraft check to use the shag carpeting. It worked, and the evil conspiracy's strike team of sorcerors and duskblades were tangled up in a carpet...

...that sounds like an urban druid.

BRC
2009-02-28, 09:41 PM
...that sounds like an urban druid.

Urban Ranger actually.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-01, 02:39 AM
Similar to the carpet story, I was pressed for time and was randomly generating rooms. I rolled a room with two cockatraices and a tapestry. The wizard cast animate rope and threw the tapestry onto the cockatraices, tangling them up. Later that mission, they threw it in the BBEG's face, turning him to stone.

BelorinMoonclaw
2009-03-01, 04:53 AM
I wasn't DMing, but a player in one of the campaigns I was playing in was playing a fighter in mountain plate armor w/ uber high health (tank-ish).

We are defending a floating castle from a swarm of enemies, after which we fight the boss, who is a ranger riding a chimera.

After we kill the chimera, the fighter then proceeds to over-run the boss off of the cliff, falling with him. After sustaining a fall at terminal velocity, the fighter manages to stabilize at -9, the boss wasn't so lucky...

Shpadoinkle
2009-03-01, 06:55 AM
The craziest thing I've ever done is detailed here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5804182#post5804182

In short, I got reduced to pretty much invisibility, flew up the fire giant king's nose, and blew his head off (from the inside!) with a huge Lightning Bolt.

Book Wyrm
2009-03-01, 11:14 AM
I convinced my DM that my druid could summon a Thoqqua (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/thoqqua.htm) inside the top of a stone column which I had stone shaped a chunk out of the bottom and command it to burst out in a specified direction to knock the column down on top of an oversized owlbear, killing it.

krossbow
2009-03-01, 01:00 PM
A magister in an arcana evolved campaign (more or less D&D with a slightly different magical system) once encountered a large tower in an anti-magic field.

Rather than search around for it, he used magic to hoist the party's meatshield 200 feet in the air over it, and then used a gust of wind to bullrush him straight downward at the tower's roof with a readied sunder action.

He survived; the roof did not.

Comet
2009-03-01, 01:10 PM
The players walk into this town, yeah? They're supposed to be investigating one thing or another, talking to people, resolving some sidequests along the way, getting involved in local politics, all that glorious intrique stuff that everyone enjoys.

Then, they find gunpowder. Barrelloads of gunpowder. This is pretty standard for the setting and shouldn't be a big deal, right?

6 hours later the entire town is in flames, ruined beyon recognition.
Yeah, they blew the town up. So much for that particular adventure. :smallbiggrin:

Kyouhen
2009-03-01, 03:08 PM
Start of a level 1 adventure the party found a Dire Bear. It was there as a "don't go here" type thing, yet the party cleric decided he wanted to go there. The bear was snarling at him and he tried to Doom it. Nothing. He wanted to cast an Inflict spell on it until I pointed out that was a touch attack and the bear was clearly unhappy about his presence. His solution? Scream at it. Loudly. The bear was not impressed. Fortunately the rest of the party dragged his unconscious self to safety.

SilverClawShift
2009-03-01, 03:27 PM
In our earlier gaming days, a player in our group was a wizard who wound up using "Animate Rope" to tie a female rogues braided ponytail to a wrought iron gate she was standing in front of. Took her out of a few rounds of fighting, and by the time she'd decided to cut her own ponytail off, the fight was over and the city watch was interveening.

Our DM then decreed that "Human hair may technically be inanimate dead material, but people still get a will save to avoid their own hair coming to life from now on"

Ka'ladun
2009-03-01, 03:43 PM
A tiefling warlock with fire resistance and lots and lots of TNT deliberately getting eaten by a black dragon cyborg, setting fire to any organs she could see, and then detonating said TNT. Needless to say, the dragon had no stomach.

elonin
2009-03-01, 04:15 PM
A low cha wizard using charm to convince a group of yaun-ti (only cast once) to fight another group.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-03-01, 04:42 PM
Every player has a job (nay, a duty!) to try to pull some totally crazy thing over the DM.

Never have actually. I've always done my best to be a very reasonable player when it comes to utterly crazy stuff. The one time I pulled the crazy thing over a DM's head they actually mentioned it to me and I was all '...Sure! I'll sunder all the hydra's head this round, no problem!'

Or does using Death Urge on a Beholder count and convincing the DM that the most destructive action it could do to itself was turn it's full salvo of eye-rays on itself and intentionally fail it's saves count?

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-01, 05:20 PM
In our earlier gaming days, a player in our group was a wizard who wound up using "Animate Rope" to tie a female rogues braided ponytail to a wrought iron gate she was standing in front of. Took her out of a few rounds of fighting, and by the time she'd decided to cut her own ponytail off, the fight was over and the city watch was interveening.

Our DM then decreed that "Human hair may technically be inanimate dead material, but people still get a will save to avoid their own hair coming to life from now on"

note to self: SHAVE EVERYTHING

Eeezee
2009-03-02, 02:15 AM
The DM allowed me to do this exactly one time in 3.5 Faerun

We encountered a large group of worshipers of Cyric (murders, lies, and deception) performing some ritual on a bridge. There were 20 of them, probably a hard challenge for our small group of level 6 characters (although I had been having much luck with Glitterdust).

2 scrolls of mount
20 exploding runes (some of which had to be purchased for a tidy sum, others I had prepared earlier)
2 invisibility castings

And we found a cleric that could cast Silence. The plan is suddenly in place

I sent the invisible, silent horses charging into the group on the bridge, who happened to be tightly bunched together. First round, I launched a fireball into the tightly gathered group and got lucky on my rolls; massive damage! With the surprise round over, I rolled high on initiative (clearly this was fate) and cast Dispel Magic on the horses. This time I got UNlucky on the rolls (which is actually what is desired in this case) and BOOM, bunch of dead cronies, including the leader. We were easily able to charge in and wipe out the rest

It's the magic car bomb

Waspinator
2009-03-02, 02:25 AM
Craziest thing ever done? Warlock song and dance routines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

Kris Strife
2009-03-02, 03:02 AM
I wasnt the DM, but epic level campaign the sorcerer/pale master managed to loophole soul binding the tarrasque.

SilentP
2009-03-02, 03:04 AM
Well near the beginning of my current Dark Heresy campaign we were playing, I had the train the party were riding being subject to attack by raiders (who had come over by a hover 'truck' of sorts. Well the Noble Guardsman and the Sanctioned Psyker decided they would climb onto the roof, fighting all the mooks on the rooftops and jump from one carriage to another.

Getting a few carriages away from where the hovertruck still was, the Psyker decided to activate a minor Psychic power that essentially allowed it to disable any mechanical device. Now since it was specific as to what kind of system may be included, I decided to rule that anti-grav systems would be included. Que the truck slamming into the ground at 60+mph and sliding into the train, taking out the last 2 carriages, and the acolytes luckily able to dodge fiery shrapnel. Was pretty awesome :smallbiggrin:

Moofaa
2009-03-02, 03:11 AM
I once took out what was intended to be a recurring villain. Playing in a post-apoc vampires/highlanders (as a highlander) I was sent to Cincinatti to hunt down a vampire assassin that had betrayed some people that I work for.

I spent several sessions chasing this guy, always an hour or two behind. In the meantime I discovered lots of clues to a larger plot, and was told it would be better to capture him alive.

When I saw him sitting at an outdoor cafe surrounded by cronies, I decided to take him out, then and there, with the dump truck I was driving.

Three extremely good rolls later and minus one major plot villian my GM called the game early that night.

Another game I took out a heavily armored helicopter that was intended to chase us away from an area (I think the game was something old called Twilight 2000) with...an hand-thrown anti-tank grenade.

In a recent game that I was running, a player caused a lynch mob to go after the very person I was intending to be included in his party. The man was apparently some sort of peaceful samurai being chased from a town (people in this area dont like foreigners) and was confronted by three townsfolk whom he non-lethally defeated. All this goes on while the player hides in the ditch at the side of the road.

Once the samurai leaves and I am left wondering how to get him to go for obvious plot hooks, the player decides to decapitate the three unconcious townsfolk and pike their heads outside of the town.

A few hours later these heads are spotted and a lynch mob goes after the samurai.

Crazy Scot
2009-03-02, 03:52 AM
In a 4e campaign, the group's wizard wanted a wand of magic missile (3.5e). The DM gave it to him, but made it a 1/encounter ability. He also threw on this fun ability that with a hit there was a chance to turn the target into something...cue the bad stuff.

One time (before the big fight) he got a lucky roll and managed to turn a bad guy into a potion of insta-death (not the real name, but you get the idea). The potion was a ranged touch attack with terrible range. Basically, you had to be right next to the target and pour the potion on the target you want to kill.

Okay...now the fight. We had been exploring an underground abandoned dwarven city, and came across a group of 2 mind-flayers (one uber-boss (about 8-10 levels above us), one lower level boss), with multiple henchmen. The uber-boss was going to do a box-text and escape (so as to not party wipe us), while leaving his minions to deal some hurt on us.

Prior to combat - Uber boss makes his speach, but doesn't leave the room.

Round 1 - The rest of the group (minus the wizard) take actions as normal. The wizard moves closer to the uber-boss and does nothing. The DM looks at him and asks if that is all he is doing, he smiles and says yes. The DM looks confused, but let's it go. The uber-boss takes his round to issue orders to his minions.

Round 2 - The rest of the group does another round of beating up minions. The wizard teleports right next to the uber-boss (move action), pulls out (readies) the potion (standard action), pops the top (free action). Then burns an action point to throw the potion... One good attack roll later, and we are now fighting a low-level boss, a bunch of minions and a puddle of goo. :)

Dyllan
2009-03-02, 09:30 AM
Something we did to the DM, when I was a player, not the DM... I think I've mentioned this on these forums before:

We were supposed to kill the lich, who lived in a large complex built under a somewhat dormant volcano.

Well, we decided to teleport back to a dwarven city we knew of, that sold blasting powder. We bought a ton of it, placed it near a few key structural points and caused the entire volcano to erupt... destroying the lich's complex (and phylactery), as well as a good two weeks of adventure planning from our DM.

"Volcano" - verb., to make some unexpected move in a roleplaying game that completely invalidates the plans of the game master.

We use that word a lot now.

Then there was the time I was DM'ing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. There are a series of riddles the party has to get past... actually, more like incomplete questions. You're supposed to solve them by finding the complete questions hidden elsewhere in the adventure, but my party missed that. So, they decided to guess. After a few failed attempts, the Dwarven Cleric pulls out his mug, fills it with "holy water" (beer) and steps forward. The voice asks "what..." and he says "beer!"

The question was "what do you bring" - so I let him through.

The next question, also asked "what" - and again he holds up the mug and says "beer." It was "what do you desire." So I let him through.

There was one more question that I can't remember now, but for which, for that particular character, beer was a reasonable answer. By the time the Dwarf got through 3 of the 7 questions by holding up his mug and shouting "beer," the players were in stitches. Eventually, they deduced the questions (or close enough), by trial and error.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-02, 10:48 AM
Maritime encounter. The ship the characters were on used Ballistas with bolts on winches to pull the ships together and send it's troops over. the Warblade Ties himself to a ballista bolt, gets fired at the enemy ship, Unties himself, and mountain hammers the crap out of the enemy ships hull and climbs the rope back to his ship, ruins the encounter, and destroys thousands of GP worth of magical treasure (they had fallen a couple of lvls behind wbl, and this encounter was going to fix it, but sadly they destroyed it all). They then have to face the wrath of the pirates they were on the ship with (they wanted to loot the ship). They killed most of them, but then were lost @ sea for a few sessions since no one knew how to navigate, let alone operate the ship. The Warblade considered his actions more carefully after that.

Advocate
2009-03-02, 11:00 AM
Maritime encounter. The ship the characters were on used Ballistas with bolts on winches to pull the ships together and send it's troops over. the Warblade Ties himself to a ballista bolt, gets fired at the enemy ship, Unties himself, and mountain hammers the crap out of the enemy ships hull and climbs the rope back to his ship, ruins the encounter, and destroys thousands of GP worth of magical treasure (they had fallen a couple of lvls behind wbl, and this encounter was going to fix it, but sadly they destroyed it all). They then have to face the wrath of the pirates they were on the ship with (they wanted to loot the ship). They killed most of them, but then were lost @ sea for a few sessions since no one knew how to navigate, let alone operate the ship. The Warblade considered his actions more carefully after that.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is why you should never break your own stuff. It makes the world hate you, in addition to screwing yourself.

MickJay
2009-03-02, 11:12 AM
We bought a ton of it

If your DM let you buy a whole ton of the stuff, then he basically screwed himself - he could have said the town's supplies were low, that they didn't sell it wholesale to strangers, etc... Who in their right mind gives a ton of explosives to PCs? :smallbiggrin:

That, and something tells me the dwarf knew that module beforehand :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2009-03-02, 11:41 AM
The entrance to the dungeon was 30' directly above a large stone fountain with foul-looking muck in it. The Rogue set up a rope, lowered himself down, swung aside to land on dry ground, then went to scout the nearby areas. The Druid had a cheetah animal companion, so she lowered him in a net. Lacking any Use Rope skill, she dropped her cheetah, entangled in the net, directly into the black pudding in the fountain. The cheetah's speed was completely useless. And of course the Rogue had poor Listen skill, and didn't hear the commotion until too late.

Dyllan
2009-03-02, 11:50 AM
If your DM let you buy a whole ton of the stuff, then he basically screwed himself - he could have said the town's supplies were low, that they didn't sell it wholesale to strangers, etc... Who in their right mind gives a ton of explosives to PCs? :smallbiggrin:

That, and something tells me the dwarf knew that module beforehand :smallwink:

It was entirely homebrew, so the dwarf didn't know ahead of time. And the availability of the blasting powder was already presented previously... though the price skyrocketed for the quantities we needed.

kalt
2009-03-02, 04:21 PM
The player actually tried to play as a DMM:persist cleric that had nightsticks. I saw his character sheet, ripped it up, and told him to try again.

wadledo
2009-03-02, 04:57 PM
The player actually tried to play as a DMM:persist cleric that had nightsticks. I saw his character sheet, ripped it up, and told him to try again.

That seems a bit harsh, seeing as how you could just say nightsticks don't stack.:smallannoyed:

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-02, 05:07 PM
I wasn't the DM in this one, but I was the most knowledgeable player at the table.

There is a Paladin of Kelemvor in our group who is obviously a vampire (don't ask). When I (in-character) figure out his nature, I go to confront him, Turn Undead (which makes him flee out of the window in broad daylight, but he had an artifact that allowed him to go out in the sunlight). I get out, he gets up from the ground, and I cast Cure Moderate Wounds. Naturally, he falls to the ground (it was a low-level adventure). I go to take off his glove so he will disintegrate in sunlight. The party's bard grapples with me and somehow wins (the game was supposedly going to be stingy about magic items, so I was a Monk 1 / Cleric 4 with nearly every Vow and Diplomacy-increasing Exalted feat there was, which made me the most powerful character in the group - yet I was able to acquire 20 scrolls of Remove Curse and Break Enchantment with a single Diplomacy check (and roleplaying unanimously accepted by the group to be excellent) - it was for a good cause).

Then, to heal his ally, he casts Cure Light Wounds.

I could barely hold a laugh inside.

They can be great roleplayers, but sometimes I wish they cared about the rules portion a bit.

Hunter Noventa
2009-03-02, 07:03 PM
During the early stages of a campaign,w e encountered some brown mold, normally not a huge deal, except that we had no cold damage to deal with it, not having a wizard. So we visit the local alchemist tog et soem alchemist's frost, and he gives us a special containter to get a sample of it. We do so, and all is well.

Not too much later, we found an underground complex we had to enter via a long shaft. Instead of doing that right away, we get some of the brown mold back in a specialcontainer, strap alchemists fire to it, and dropit in int he pit. Took out three encoutners, and introduced biological warfare all at once.

charl
2009-03-02, 07:49 PM
There was one time I was playing Werewolf (not DMing). We had scheduled a show down with our rival pack. We were going to meet them in an abandoned subway station they were using as a lair and fight them over who had the right to the local spirit shrine. The rival alpha werewolf had said: "Any weapon, made by human, spirit or wolf alike can be used. But we will do the honourable thing and fight with our claws!"

So my pack mates went seeking out helpful spirits and fetishes, training and getting ready. My character told the others "I'm going for an errand. See you at the subway station later."

Then he went to his black market arms dealer and bought a small brick of C4 (he was well connected). Then it got a little out of hand. Realizing simple mortal explosives would not bring down bad ass werewolves, I decided to have my character get two glass bottles with gasoline in them, for use as Molotov cocktails. But fire wasn't enough either, so equipping himself with thick protective gloves, the kind chemists use, he broke into his parents' old place outside of town (they didn't know he was a werewolf or even alive), and sneakily stole the silver cutlery, placed it inside a backpack, put both the bottles of gasoline in there for good measure, and the C4 he packed into the middle.

Yeah, go figure what he did next. Ahead of time, he went to the subway station. The rival pack took him to their leader, who wasn't amused by the early arrival of one of his enemies. My character said something like: "I just wanted to give you this." Then threw the backpack to the leader, pressed the remote for the 3 second time-delay blast cap, and used a fetish to cross into the shadow realm.

There were no survivors.

When the rest of his pack mates arrive, he is standing outside the subway station smoking a cigarette with thick black smoke coming out of the entrance, asking: "What took you guys so long?"

Eeezee
2009-03-02, 08:46 PM
I'm dropping a link to the "Worst Experience Roleplaying" thread over at Somethingawful (Traditional Games Disc. subforum). It's got some real gold in there (but the entire thread is good). It's not necessarily all "crazy" things but most of it is. Some of it can be a little gross, you have been warned

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

James the Dark
2009-03-02, 09:44 PM
As it stands, my all time, most bat**** crazy stunt that I've ever pulled on a GM was when I was playing Scion: Demigod. Now, I doubt I'll ever get bored of this one. I was playing a Scion of the dead Celestial Bureacracy (in this continuity, the Chinese gods were exterminated), who was extremely strong and tough. He was helping a friend, who was the son of Vidar of the Aesir, undergo a pilgrimage in South Africa. With my Scion was my Scion's wife (a Godsouled), and the Valkyrie Pruor. Well, the big bad caught wind that Vidar's son was in South Africa, and sicced a platoon of Fire and Muspel giants to track down and slaughter him. Now, Giants are extraordinarily tough, if anybody here knows he system. The biggest trick with killing them is finding some way to get through their astronomical soaks (think damage reduction). Fortunately, because of the way my Scion was advancing, he could one-shot a Fire Giant every time, and usually could kill a Muspel Giant (which is about three times tougher) in one, or maybe two hits. With Pruor and the Scion's wife dealing with the FGs, which were frankly beneath my notice, I dealt with the Muspels.
Then, they did something unexpected. They called in for backup. Now, killing Muspel Giants in one hit is the absolute extremity of my capabilities. So when they called in reinforcements, they called the one thing with thicker skin in the entire African continent: A child of Jormungandr the Midgard Serpent. Not nearly as large as its father, it was still gargantuan, and its skin was so thick that even my cruelest tricks could not penetrate it. And it was even stronger than I was. For a brief second, I thought this was going to be a running away moment, then I remembered; I'm not playing a dumb brute. My character is smarter than Stephen Hawking. So I start planning.
I recall the atlas I skimmed through as I was flying to South Africa. From that, I remember that there is a major river several dozen miles away. This river plays host to a hydroelectric dam. A hydroelectric dam houses a turbine which spins with thousands of tonnes of gnashing force. Less than a fraction of a second after I thought things were screwed, my character came up with a mad plan, and then spent the next day dragging the Son of Jormungandr across the desert, across the bottom of a reservoir, and shoving it into the intake of a dam.
The hatchling flailed and thrashed, damaging the dam to the point where it would shortly collapse, but it could not prevent the spinning turbines from reducing its hundreds of feet of length and tonnes of mass into a grey-pink slurry. The GM was so flabbergasted that I could come up with a plan like that on the fly, that he rewarded me with an experience bonus, and a free Legendary Deed (which you ordinarily only get when you finish a story or upgrade your Legend Rating).
I'm still proud of that one. I'm just waiting until Tony throws something even bigger at me.

Samb
2009-03-02, 09:48 PM
This happened just two days ago and was just so brilliant that I had to share. We just hit 13 and our blasting psion picks up energy conversion as a power.

We run up against group of 7 NPCs around lvl 6-8 (mix of melee and 2 healers) and two bosses that were lvl 10 and 12 one a mage and another a melee PrC or something. They were set up in a triangle fashion with a spearman in front (all 300 style) with healers in the back and the two bosses even further back.

This was going to be a tough fight but while we were disscussing/metagaming our strategy, our psion (who won initative) decides to go nova. He had an empowered energy conversion up already since our scout told us about the camp. He uses link power and maximize power for energy ball twice, dimension doors as a move action right in the middle of their formation and casts energy ball on himself. Right before the second energy ball hits he quickens another energy conversion (he has earth power, overchannel, and a torc).

After both electric balls kill all the grunts and healers, he only took 11 points of damage and has 75 converted energy stored up (empower power raises the absorbed damage to 45 + 30 which is the usual max).

The fighter is out of charge distance but spends a full round to run right up to our psion, swearing to kill him (with a full attack next i'll bet). The mage (maybe a cleric?) casts a buff on the fighter boss. On round 2 the psion uses spilt ray and kills the the fighter with a 150 electric ray. We finished off the lone mage without any problems.

Now i'm not sure if what our psion did was legal. Link power still counts the second power as a standard action, and quicken power is a technically faster.... either way the DM was so impressed he let it slide.

Samb
2009-03-02, 10:11 PM
Here's something that happened a while ago and I'm not sure it was my greatest moment but the DM is still going on about it.

i built a lvl 8 half-giant psiwarrior to break things (a build i still use often). He used a huge addy greatsword and focused sunder to ignore any toughness under 40. Then I had a gargantuan greatsword after I used expansion. In the end it gave me +12 to +20 on sunder attempts. Then I use leap attack (plus mighty leap power) to deal damage.

This campaign had 2 parties in it, and we basically played 2 characters each, one low-mid level group and one near epic group. We were up against some unique demon lord that had levels in psiwarrior and our DM said he was at least lvl 25. Just to give you an idea of how bad this was he killed our lvl 17 warblade in one full attack.

So our lower level PCs weren't doing much most of the fight, since this boss had some 5' aura that ate your STR every turn (the DC was fort and around 13-15). But I get the great idea that I will sunder his weapon and use expansion.

Me a lvl 8 (with LA) against some epic monster of at least lvl 25.......And who would have thought I would win!? So now I just broke some super duper weapon and this demon is pissed. He promptly kills me on his turn, using only 2 of his 4 attacks.

So the moral of the story is don't break enemies weapons if you can't survive the energy claw attacks the next round.

Fjolnir
2009-03-02, 11:03 PM
I was the sole survivor of a party wipe to essentially a deer. We were camped for the night in the woods and had set up watches my charecter had set up a hammock in the trees just outside the clearing we had set our wagons in. (we were escorting a caravan through a slightly dangerous area) on watch was our ranger (half orc archer build) and one of our casters (elf wizard I think, something that trances for 4 hours instead of sleeping, either way had full spell points that day anyhow) everyone else is asleep in the first of 2 camp wagons(other was full of npc caravanners) the DM rolls for a random encounter and gets "a deer comes near the camp and runs away" and has both people roll listen and spot checks, wizard made his listen, both failed their spot and the wizard WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE goes out into the woods to investigate and goes off into the woods, where he then trips over a root or something, the ranger hears THIS and doesn't alert anyone, he fires into the shape he sees with his darkvision hitting the wizard who apparently forgot where the encampment was because he shoots a fireball directly into where rest of the party is sleeping, the wagon colllapse and fire deals enough damage to kill the sleeping member of our party in the tent, it also sets the ranger ablaze, this goes back and forth, before the ranger slays the wizard then succumbs to damage from an acid arrow, needless to say when the dm told us what actually set the whole thing off we had a decent laugh

JerryMcJerrison
2009-03-02, 11:04 PM
Me: "So, let's recap: you've been captured by a house-sized mechanical monster, have used up all of your encounter and daily powers, and are currently at 5 hp. So your best idea is to try to cast your At Will magic, with your face, because it has your arms pinned?"

PC: *shakes d20 around in hand* "Yeah, what, is there a problem with that?"

Shademan
2009-03-03, 03:38 AM
those bastards took down a dragon (albeit a dragon in puberty) in one round.
ONE FRIGGIN ROUND!
I HATE INVISIBILITY!!!!

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-03, 05:52 AM
There seems to be a theme:

If the DM asks you "are you sure?", than it is probably best NOT to do it. :smallwink:

Heliomance
2009-03-03, 05:54 AM
ONE FRIGGIN ROUND!
I HATE INVISIBILITY!!!!

Dragons have Blindsense. They shouldn't have been able to get the drop on it.

Shademan
2009-03-03, 06:19 AM
didnt see no blindsense in the description...

hmm... it seems that these guys have a tendency to one-hit major monsters. I pitted them against a iron golem which they were gonna have a ROUGH time with (they were lv 10 but with some good optimizers, yeah the iron golem was a WEE bit to high for them...) so what do they do?
they have the half ogre (which was later replaced by a half dragon) wrestle the golem and throw it outta the tower. he sinks deep into the ground and the ogre cast create water on him.
he sinks in the mud, never to be seen again.

Eldariel
2009-03-03, 06:44 AM
Yeah, creative players are creative. That's the kind of playing I love, and that's why I mostly screw the CR; smart players will find some way around just about anything they face. Chances are, if whatever they face is so high CRd that they have no chance whatsoever, it doesn't really care about the party either.

Narmoth
2009-03-03, 07:00 AM
ONE FRIGGIN ROUND!
I HATE INVISIBILITY!!!!

Being one of the bastards:
The dm forgot to use the dragons ability to smell things, so we were able to surround the dragon in his lair. Then it was as simple as attacking it while flanking, doing massive dmg (2 characters with sneak attack and 2 spellcasters)
And we got a surprice round

lexcorp026
2009-03-03, 07:25 AM
A ways back (can't remember if it was 3.0 or 2E) I had a friend who always played the big dumb barbarian/fighter type. Then this one-shot adventure I was doing, he makes a wizard specialized in conjuration. We were all intrigued to see what crazy plan he had.

He casts mount... above the mobs heads, dropping horses on top of them. I checked the rules on it. At that point there wasn't anything prohibiting it. It wasn't until the next edition that it actually was revised the rules to say that Mount summoned the mount specifically on-the-ground.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-03, 11:56 AM
He casts mount... above the mobs heads, dropping horses on top of them. I checked the rules on it. At that point there wasn't anything prohibiting it. It wasn't until the next edition that it actually was revised the rules to say that Mount summoned the mount specifically on-the-ground.

I remember flying over an enemy city as a Wizard with a box of mice. Polymorph/Shapechange the mice into whales and watch towers crumble.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-03, 12:10 PM
Two different things, one player...

I allowed simple explosives, and he handed a lit bundle to a zombie that was coming at them... They were underground, with no place for overpressure to go. He got the zombie, and all of his friends. And himself. :smallbiggrin: He didn't know much about explosives, but that was pretty much my job in the Navy.

Same Player, Different Character: Had to go down a 40' cliff to a beach. Why climb, when jumping down is so much faster? He figured he could take the damage, and keep on going. Rolled a One. Broke his leg. Had a swarm of Savage Pirates (from the Savage Tide Adventure Path) surge out from the cave and they all attacked him. At least this time, he only killed himself.

josh13905
2009-03-03, 07:04 PM
Well a while ago i was playing a 17 Monk and an amazing thing happened.

Me and my party were walking along a hallway in a dungeon and came upon a door. Instead of listening we decided to go right on through, then the DM said "On the other side of the door you see a Solar Angel." Now I decided to call the DM on this and walked up to it and before he said a word I said, "I attack it with my quivering Palm ability." Knowing it was way too high for us to take, thinking our dM was joking. (LAter he revealed he was but went with it) So i made my attack roll and rolled a 20 automatically hitting it. Now my DM knowing about this ability knew he still got a save. He looked at the angels save and laughed knowing that he couldn't fail. Now here he was all high and mighty and he rolled. His roll was a 1! An automatic failure! I laughed and we ended the session there. We all got tons of XP (CR 23) and much later i realized that we never got Gold/Treasure...

Lycan 01
2009-03-03, 07:32 PM
Lets see...

-One Call of Cthulhu player Falcon Kicked a door open, interupting a meeting of the ENTIRE COMMAND STRUCTURE OF THE CTHULHU CULT. :smallfurious:

-Another Call of Cthulhu player, during our Silent Hill campaign, tried to tackle Pyramid Head. However, she got a crit, and actually knocked him off balance for a moment. :smalleek:

-The entire group tried to catch a zombie canary and keep it as a pet. Long story...

-One of my Star Wars players thought driving through the enterainment district of Corescant in a loaded-down speeder with the entire Republic hunting for him and his friends was a good idea. Two failed Pilot checks later, and he found himself hurtling through the air after being flung from a barrel-rolling speeder. He managed to grab onto a sign... and dislocate his shoulder. The next round, a Republic Soldier got a crit on him while shooting him in the back. So over the course of 4-5 rounds, he went from piloting an escape vehicle to being sprawled out on the street with a blaster-riddled spine, a dislocated shoulder, and a shattered ego.

-Another Star Wars player... actually no, it was the same guy... shot a little girl so he could have her stuffed Jawa doll. He didn't notice the Thermal Detonator she had under it... I think it took a total of 8 Destiny Points from him and the other player to rewind the game back to when they entered the room. :smallamused:

-Same guy, different game. In DnD, he and his party were fighting a zombie dragon. His idea? Run up its tail, climb into its rotting torso, and hack away at its organs and bones. The result? He didn't even make his "run over to the dragon" roll. So it backhanded him across the room and into a wall, leaving him at 2 HP. :smalleek:

Oslecamo
2009-03-03, 08:08 PM
A sorceror casting killcloud over himself to get concealment. No, he hadn't anything to prevent the Con damage.

MeatShield#236
2009-03-03, 08:17 PM
This is something incredibly stupid I've done as a player. I am playing a droid.

During a game of SWSE, we were chasing down a villian who has just fled. We were working for the Jedi Order. Me and another player decide to get our ship while the other two players tracked hem to his hanger. Now the hanger (it was accually a landing strip) was open-air. Seeing the villan take off, I decide to fire a missle, in Coruscant. I missed; and due to the effects of gravity, I hit the speeder the other party members were in, failing to kill them due to an amazing pilot roll from one of the players. Unditered, I fired again, missed, and hit one of the ships in the hanger. I then fired two more times, hitting a senators garden and trashing up the landing strip, before the villan got away. Needless to say, the Jedi Order was not pleased and I was sold for parts in order to pay the damages. I had to roll up a new character.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-03, 08:24 PM
A sorceror casting killcloud over himself to get concealment. No, he hadn't anything to prevent the Con damage.

That's like using a Nuclear Weapon for radiation therapy. Did he survive?

Saint Nil
2009-03-03, 08:39 PM
-Another Star Wars player... actually no, it was the same guy... shot a little girl so he could have her stuffed Jawa doll.

Can I have the story behind this please?

Lycan 01
2009-03-03, 09:05 PM
Do you want the long version or the short version? :smallbiggrin:

On that topic, lets see what else my idiot Star Wars players have done...

-Used Sparky, an NPC R5 droid that saved them at least once in that scenario, as a battery for their ship's failing shield generator. :smallfrown:

-The reason for Sparky's death is because I threw a 500 to 1 fight at them in space, and instead of making a blind Hyperspace jump as per the plot, they forced the pilot to do his best not to get shot down while they used the ship's turrets to keep the swarms of fighters off of them.

6 or so real life hours later, they hyperspaced to Corescant after shooting down 20+ fighters, 2 small gunships, 1 medium gunship, and 1 very light frigate. The XP from the experience took them up 5 levels. :smalleek:

-A cocky Dug player asked for the hardest thing in a Tattooine cantina. He was handed a jar of a very thick glowing green liquid with shards of sharp crystals suspended in it. He then proceeded to see what all the patrons would bid for him to drink it. 140 credits was the total... But he had to order it to go, since the plot showed up right when he tried to drink it.

He ended up using it as an ad-hoc molotov cocktail by throwing it into a campfire surrounded by Tusken Raiders. :smalleek:

Saint Nil
2009-03-03, 09:21 PM
Long if you have time. THough your players sound far crazier than mine.:smalleek:

Lupy
2009-03-03, 09:24 PM
I have two stories, both from the world famous Star Wars Saga campaign (Yes, the one with Lieutenant and Mara).

So Arjo (my brother's soldier/elite trooper) and Don-torrin (my best friend's scout/bounty hunter) were buying a new space ship. Don-torrin's player had the Starships of the Galaxy book. They were buying a YT-XXXX freighter, I can't remeber which one, and he asked me how much damage proton torpedoes did. I couldn't remember and said "Isn't it about 6d10?" and he goes "YES!" just a little too quick, so I look over to see. They did 2d10. :smallsigh:

The other was Arjo's famous Correllian powersuit (yes, that one!), which he had modified to have emplacement points. He put a force field generator on it, a jetpack, a concussion grenade launcher (hip mounted), a vibroblade on each wrist, and a helmet with infrared view screen. He paid for it in XP though, so it was all good, 'til he stuffed the helmet with 2 kg of detonite and blew up the entire detention center on the ISS Chimera. >.<
Some of you will remember what happened next.

wykydtron
2009-03-03, 09:52 PM

Alright, I've been playing for a while but I know nothing about nightstciks, or what dmm stands for. Could someone explain it, or put up a link to something that would explain it?

Thanks a ton.

streakster
2009-03-03, 10:54 PM
Alright, I've been playing for a while but I know nothing about nightstciks, or what dmm stands for. Could someone explain it, or put up a link to something that would explain it?

Thanks a ton.

DMM - Divine Meta Magic. Spend turn attempts for metamagic.

Nightsticks- items that grants turn attempts. Has poor rules on stacking.

Result - Clericzilla.

wadledo
2009-03-03, 11:23 PM
DMM - Divine Meta Magic. Spend turn attempts for metamagic. You need the metamagic anyway to make it work though.

Nightsticks- items that grants turn attempts. Has poor rules on stacking.

Result - Clericzilla.

No.:smallannoyed:
Clericzilla is just a Cleric played with any kind of coherent thought.
DMM is a very efficient and effective Clericzilla(even if it's focused more on metamagic than normal), but pretty much any Cleric past 5th is a Clericzilla, if you read the books correctly.

streakster
2009-03-04, 12:09 AM
No.:smallannoyed:
Clericzilla is just a Cleric played with any kind of coherent thought.
DMM is a very efficient and effective Clericzilla(even if it's focused more on metamagic than normal), but pretty much any Cleric past 5th is a Clericzilla, if you read the books correctly.

Yes. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, allow me to be more clear and less terse. DMM will result in a clericzilla - we agree on that. I did not mean that was the only way to a clericzilla. I simply used the term as short-hand for "OP Cleric."

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-05, 12:53 AM
-The reason for Sparky's death is because I threw a 500 to 1 fight at them in space, and instead of making a blind Hyperspace jump as per the plot, they forced the pilot to do his best not to get shot down while they used the ship's turrets to keep the swarms of fighters off of them.

6 or so real life hours later, they hyperspaced to Corescant after shooting down 20+ fighters, 2 small gunships, 1 medium gunship, and 1 very light frigate. The XP from the experience took them up 5 levels. :smalleek:

No guts, no glory!

Molant
2009-03-05, 04:04 PM
There was one time out at sea when our ship was attacked by a kraken. The DM expected us to fight its tentacles as it reached at us and use ranged weapons to make it bugger off. So I (as an assassin) looked over the side to see the situation and saw the kraken's eye directly below staring back at me. So I tied a line to the ship, drew swords and leapt over. Sneak attack + poison = nearly dead kraken in one turn with a dual wielding maniac clawing in towards its brain. Good times.

Also with that same character, after graduating from assassin training in the Underdark (he was a grey elven prince kidnapped and sold into slavery, bought by a drow arena master and recruited for assassin training), he was assigned to "end the threat posed by the rulers of the lower planes" and teleported down to Hell. The teleport misses and drops him into the Abyss, where he ends up fighting in the Blood War. After switching sides multiple times, he finally reaches the first level of Hell and goes to see the first archduke. That particular archduke was at a poker game with several other archdukes, including Asmodeus (the ninth archduke and total boss of Hell). After a nice chat, my elf joins in the game, but with nothing to wager he starts offering services and souls (other peoples'). As the game goes on, he beats the living snot out of the most powerful devils around and forces them to agree to accept him as one of their number. By doing so, this grey elf rogue5 / assassin 5 becomes the tenth archduke of hell.

The DM and I actually went back and played through this backstory because we needed a character history for him. Dang, that was a really fun character to play.

WeeFreeMen
2009-03-05, 10:28 PM
Ok, I'm not a DM, but from what the others in the party tell me I have done some pretty crazy things...

Instance one: In our current campaign I'm a Ninja/Swordsage (lv8 at the moment), Anyway. The current mission was to save the Dynamo of the Scorpions from a Impending attack from the Tiger Clan (Ruled by a older character from our last Oriental Campaign, he was a epic ordeal all on his own) but back to the story, The party ran ahead of me because my cover was but "A humble painter" and they deemed that the Dynamo's life was more important, and I had pretty much Meta'd to them that I would be ok by myself thanks to 9 uses of Invisibility and a Shadow-Step with a 1 round recharge. So they flew off stealing one of the mounts from the Attack samurai and our ranger took a Wyrven from Ariel attackers (Epic handle animal check lol) anyway, I am left alone and I start to make my way, planning to head to the armory to loot all the nifty things that would otherwise be taken by the attacks...hehe..So I Ki use myself to a nearby house, and open it to find out that a Mercenary warrior is about to kill a Woman and Child, so I as a humble painter stab him in the face to save them, turns out he was a boss and was there for some undisclosed reason, so now I got a Hero Point for saving them, Lots of XP for accidentally soloing a boss (mini-boss, what have you). However that's not the end of it, I decide to milk the cow for all its worth and save the Woman and Child form the attacking force that is taking their city, so I make a sled from 2 wood posts and a canvas, I then take my Rod of Ropes and tie one end of the rope to the Axis of the Sled and shoot the grappling hook from house to house to chug along the dead weight of the Kid and Woman. This is all well and good till some random guy stabs the woman setting her at -9, however since Im like a well prepared Boyscout I have the Healing Hands Skill trick and stabilize her after the attacker vanishes with a few random words of dialogue, I proceed to the extraction point only to find that my team of members have left me on our Wagon pulled by 4 horses, so to my dismay they are about 300ft away across a lake of ice being chased by 4 flyers and 3 horsemen, I say screw it and decide to make a grapple attack with the Rod of Ropes by shooting it at the wagon, and Lo and Behold, I rolled a 20. I hook myself onto the wagon, mind you the other end of the rod is still tied to the Apex of the sled and I have the child hold down the wounded woman and I stand over them, I literally ride the Sled/Kid/Woman/Stretcher like a Snowboard, I then press the button on the rod to retract us to the wagon for safe rescue, the DM is in love with me at the moment so he allows me to make AoO against the 7 Pursuers (yay combat reflexes) and I take out my poisoned daggers and start chucking them at the horses (cause they are light and not warhorses, and the Rides of the Fliers). Long Long Story short I make several Bad@ss roles and save the Woman/Child gain another Hero Point and some more Bonus XP, got me from lv.6 to lv.8

(Sorry if that took awhile to write, but I wanted to do it justice, thanks for reading ^_^ )

LordZarth
2009-03-05, 10:32 PM
Ok, I'm not a DM, but from what the others in the party tell me I have done some pretty crazy things...

Instance one: In our current campaign I'm a Ninja/Swordsage (lv8 at the moment), Anyway. The current mission was to save the Dynamo of the Scorpions from a Impending attack from the Tiger Clan (Ruled by a older character from our last Oriental Campaign, he was a epic ordeal all on his own) but back to the story, The party ran ahead of me because my cover was but "A humble painter" and they deemed that the Dynamo's life was more important, and I had pretty much Meta'd to them that I would be ok by myself thanks to 9 uses of Invisibility and a Shadow-Step with a 1 round recharge. So they flew off stealing one of the mounts from the Attack samurai and our ranger took a Wyrven from Ariel attackers (Epic handle animal check lol) anyway, I am left alone and I start to make my way, planning to head to the armory to loot all the nifty things that would otherwise be taken by the attacks...hehe..So I Ki use myself to a nearby house, and open it to find out that a Mercenary warrior is about to kill a Woman and Child, so I as a humble painter stab him in the face to save them, turns out he was a boss and was there for some undisclosed reason, so now I got a Hero Point for saving them, Lots of XP for accidentally soloing a boss (mini-boss, what have you). However that's not the end of it, I decide to milk the cow for all its worth and save the Woman and Child form the attacking force that is taking their city, so I make a sled from 2 wood posts and a canvas, I then take my Rod of Ropes and tie one end of the rope to the Axis of the Sled and shoot the grappling hook from house to house to chug along the dead weight of the Kid and Woman. This is all well and good till some random guy stabs the woman setting her at -9, however since Im like a well prepared Boyscout I have the Healing Hands Skill trick and stabilize her after the attacker vanishes with a few random words of dialogue, I proceed to the extraction point only to find that my team of members have left me on our Wagon pulled by 4 horses, so to my dismay they are about 300ft away across a lake of ice being chased by 4 flyers and 3 horsemen, I say screw it and decide to make a grapple attack with the Rod of Ropes by shooting it at the wagon, and Lo and Behold, I rolled a 20. I hook myself onto the wagon, mind you the other end of the rod is still tied to the Apex of the sled and I have the child hold down the wounded woman and I stand over them, I literally ride the Sled/Kid/Woman/Stretcher like a Snowboard, I then press the button on the rod to retract us to the wagon for safe rescue, the DM is in love with me at the moment so he allows me to make AoO against the 7 Pursuers (yay combat reflexes) and I take out my poisoned daggers and start chucking them at the horses (cause they are light and not warhorses, and the Rides of the Fliers). Long Long Story short I make several Bad@ss roles and save the Woman/Child gain another Hero Point and some more Bonus XP, got me from lv.6 to lv.8

(Sorry if that took awhile to write, but I wanted to do it justice, thanks for reading ^_^ )

AHHHHH wall of text noo it's killin me i got walloftext'd. Ow! My hate of lack of paragraphs!

Ha, I used two o's in 'no'. Funny.

TheCountAlucard
2009-03-05, 10:46 PM
AHHHHH wall of text noo it's killin me i got walloftext'd.

Of course, one of the only things worse than seeing a massive wall of text is seeing a massive wall of text twice because someone quoted the whole thing...

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-03-06, 03:51 AM
It was a pretty awesome story though. The ninja in my party never did anything that cool. Mostly he just sat there and got dropped to single-digit HP in the first round, then ran around flickering Invisibile so he could get his extra damage in (also making it hard for the cleric to heal him).

My party is kinda new to D&D, so they haven't done a whole lot of awesome stuff. One player always seems to be in the middle of it though. In a one-shot, she used Stinking Cloud to get a T-Rex to vomit the body of one of the party members it had eaten along with her artifact sword of awesome power for women (she had specifically asked if she could use Stinking Cloud in this way, and seeing as how the T-Rex failed its saves, it seemed logical to me). She also used Slay Living on the MBEG and dealt so much damage (good 3d6) that even with the save he was well into the -10 range, so I gave a dramatic description of black energy bursting from his face like black rays of light for his death scene.

Not quite on par with any of the other stories, but it was enjoyed by the party when it happened.

-JM

Narmoth
2009-03-06, 07:42 AM
There was one time out at sea when our ship was attacked by a kraken. The DM expected us to fight its tentacles as it reached at us and use ranged weapons to make it bugger off. So I (as an assassin) looked over the side to see the situation and saw the kraken's eye directly below staring back at me. So I tied a line to the ship, drew swords and leapt over. Sneak attack + poison = nearly dead kraken in one turn with a dual wielding maniac clawing in towards its brain. Good times.

By RAW you can't do that, since kraken isn't humanoid, so you can't take sneak attacks on him.

Fjolnir
2009-03-06, 08:08 AM
you can SA anything that isn't specifically immune to it that's pretty much the point of SA, since when does humanoid have ANYTHING to do with that?

Ravens_cry
2009-03-06, 08:42 AM
By RAW you can't do that, since kraken isn't humanoid, so you can't take sneak attacks on him.

Sneak Attack

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot.

This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If an assassin gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.
Death Attack
Is a kraken a plant? No.
Is a kraken an undead? No.
Is a kraken a construct? No.
Is a kraken an ooze? No.
Is a kraken incorporeal? No.
A kraken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kraken.htm) is a magical beast with the aquatic subtype. And as anyone who has gotten a grain of sand stuck in their eye knows, an eye is a vulnerable spot, especially one the size of a dinner plate.
Well, bless my barnacles I guess one CAN sneak attack a kraken.
I don't mean to sound rude, but check out the SRD to see if you can confirm what you think to be RAW.

Lycan 01
2009-03-06, 09:20 AM
There are 2 things to consider in this arguement: the DM, and the Rule of Cool.

Dude jumping off a boat to hack and slash his way into a Kraken's skull through its eye? Cool, and thus allows for the bending of some rules under the Rule of Cool. :smallcool:

Did the DM say it was okay? If so, no harm, no foul. Whatever the DM says, goes. Thats how the game works, IIRC. :smallsmile:

Sorry, had to throw in my two cents... Btw, I'll post up an explaination to that story whenever I find the time. However, I want to know what Lupy was talking about involing the ISS Chimera. :smallconfused:

SmartAlec
2009-03-06, 09:23 AM
an eye is a vulnerable spot

The passage you quoted says vital spot, not vulnerable spot. An eye is not a vital spot - having your eyes put out doesn't kill you. Not from the lack of eyes, at any rate.

Narmoth
2009-03-06, 10:38 AM
Did the DM say it was okay? If so, no harm, no foul. Whatever the DM says, goes. Thats how the game works, IIRC. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I have to agree with that. My point is just that the vitals of Kraken are hard to reach, so he shouldn't get the sneak attack dmg (just like attacking a plant or ooze, especially when considerin Kraken being a molusk, just like clams and snails)

ericgrau
2009-03-06, 11:23 AM
The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

So ya, rogue gotta get close to the right parts to sneak attack a kraken.

d13
2009-03-06, 11:25 AM
The passage you quoted says vital spot, not vulnerable spot. An eye is not a vital spot - having your eyes put out doesn't kill you. Not from the lack of eyes, at any rate.

An eye is a free way to a vital spot.

I'm pretty sure anything would die if the blade in question is long enough for its brain to get pierced xD.

And if it wouldn't... Well... You'll probably bleed to death, without urgent medical attention =P.

Fawsto
2009-03-06, 01:54 PM
Once I was DMing a campaing together with a friend. When I DMed the adventure, he was playing it together with everyone else, when he was DMing I was palying it. During a time when I was DMing, the group's Ranger got himself one of those Bows (at DMG) that when you activate it becomes ubber effective against a creature. Well, some weeks later, while the other DM was in charge, our group was exploring a small island when a Turtle Dragon decided to show up and have some adventurers for dinner. Well, we were fighting it, and it took us a while to do something about a tatic the creature was using, when the Ranger with said Bow got himself a critical hit. A x5 multiplier. He had so many things that trigered in in critical stacked on that bow that, while rolling poor to average die, he scored almost 300 hp damage from the poor creature, reducing it to it's -10s. Later on, we checked to see how much damage whe would have done to the creature if he had rolled slightly better just to see that it was possible that he had done like, 500 damage with it.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-06, 04:26 PM
I was running a Deadlands campaign, and the Posse had been hired by a mad scientist to recover his stolen zeppelin. They eventually track it down, discovering in the process how something so huge could evade notice; it is being stored in an over sized barn that has a retractable roof so it can serve as a camouflaged hangar. They are spotted approaching (no choice really, big open fields) and have to fight their way to the barn as the bad guys launch the zeppelin ahead of their nefarious schedule. During this fight, the posse's Huckster, Ace, gets his first backlash. I roll on the table, getting the second worst result - develop a mental illness (the worst is death). I roll on the Loco table and get the worst result, Schizophrenia. I let him know this result in private, and tell him that I will pass him notes detailing the sorts of things the voices in his head are saying.

They get to the hangar just in the nick of time, of course, and climb up a rope ladder to get inside. The lower deck is empty and upon climbing up they find the upper deck has two cabins, one of which is the mad scientist's workshop, one of which is his sleeping quarters. They are off to the sides of a hallway that connects a large, glass enclosed observation deck and what they assume is the cockpit - the door to which is barricaded.

The barricaded door is just a time consuming obstacle to promote tension. They didn't uncover all the details of the plot, but they know that if the Proletariat (that's what this zeppelin is named) reaches Sacramento, something terrible is going to happen. They have also stolen the prototype of some kind of doomsday device.

While the party is discussing what to do, I pass the Huckster a note saying, "Nobody loves you. Your friends will abandon you. Abandon them first." He is apparently very trusting of these voices, and states he is going off in search of a parachute. He knows about airships and parachutes because he owns one himself.

The party's de jure leader (A deputy U.S. Marshal, who has been a bit reckless since discovering that he is already dead... literally) is too impatient to bash down the door and says to me, "Hey, i head back to the observation deck. What do I see outside the windows?"

"Umm, the California countryside. Farms and stuff..."

"No, I mean, they launched this ship in a hurry. Are there still, like, anchoring cables attached?"

"Yeah, I guess...."

"I shoot out the glass."

The rest of the posse (sans the Huckster, who is rummaging about on the lower decks) comes running to see who he is fighting, just in time to see him leap out of the window to catch an anchor line; an excellent Nimbleness check on his part. He then has to make a climb check to get high enough on the rope to swing over to the cabin. Failure on a climb check usually means you slide down a bit, or can't move, but only fall on a botched check (majority of dice show 1s). He notices that he only has one point in Climb, and gets to roll only one die, a d8. He, of course, rolls a one.

But wait, he drew a legend chip. Players have a pool of poker chips called fate chips that let them boost their own rolls, and there was one extra special chip called the legend chip that is the only way to go back on a botched roll. He plays it, rolls again...

And gets a 1. "Wow, what are the odds of that?" he quips.

"About one in eight," another player quips helpfully.

So now the party is down, two members - one to stupidity, the other to insanity, but they break down the door, and get into the cockpit. Fight the BBEG's lieutenant, barely survive, and don't find the doomsday device. There is a ladder to the blimp. They climb up and examine the catwalk. They can't see the entire area because the gas bladders are in the way.

It is at this point that I remind them of the conversation that the huckster had with the mad scientist, asking him how his oversized airship could be lighter than air. He said he used Hydrogen rather than helium. I staged this conversation so that the posse would have this information. THen one of them says, "We weren't there for that, just Ace and Marshal Briggs heard that." Both of them were MIA for the encounter with the BBEG in front of the doomsday device.

I'm so proud of the posse. They had no chance of defeating the BBEG with half of them missing, but they took him on anyway. Their characters had no way of knowing this was a hydrogen blimp (and one of them wouldn't have understood the implications if he had) but they didn't meta game. Needless to say, they BBEG was quite shocked when one of them pulled out a gun and squeezed the trigger.

They saved Sacramento.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-07, 09:01 AM
They saved Sacramento.

I'm not exactly sure I would consider a Full Party Wipe a success, but at least they got the job done! :smallamused:

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-07, 11:57 AM
I'm not exactly sure I would consider a Full Party Wipe a success, but at least they got the job done! :smallamused:

I ruled that the doomsday device would not sympathetically detonate - as nuclear warheads don't, and that is essentially what it was - so their noble and heroic (accidental) sacrifice saved the people of Sacramento.

It sucks too, cause it was gonna be all dramatic when they defeated BBEG and tried to figure out how to disarm the doomsday device. It was gonna be a "which color wire do you cut?" moment as Sacramento comes into view. All the wires were necessary for the device to function, but they didn't know that.

AgentPaper
2009-03-07, 12:56 PM
We were playing 4th edition DnD, and one of my players had a fighter character. During a battle, he used a stance power, and later on he went into negative hitpoints, aka unconscious. When he was later healed, still in battle, he claimed that his stance was still active, since nothing in the book says you loose your stance when you go unconscious. I ended up letting him have his way that time (since he whined about it so much) but it's not a listed house rule that you lose any stances you have going when you go unconscious.

only1doug
2009-03-07, 03:03 PM

Not a full party wipe surely? one of them had been busy leaving.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-07, 09:15 PM
Not a full party wipe surely? one of them had been busy leaving.

He was unsuccessful.

Elder Brain
2009-03-08, 03:26 PM
I shot a Potion of Cure Light Wounds into my fighter's mouth from 30ft away (broke all over his face, with just enough to stabilize him) with a Halfling Rouge (Rolled a 20) DM allowed, because it was our first session and the CR was way too high (we knew this, but the fighter was gung-ho, and they were defending such a large pile of gold it wasn't funny)

The same character managed to start a monstrous Red V. Gold Dragon War over a town that kicked me out for murder and theft.

The Rouge eventually rose to Goddom, and the Fighter died (only a two person party) :smallbiggrin:

LordZarth
2009-03-08, 03:34 PM
Those Halfling Rouges, eh?

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-10, 06:12 AM
DM throws out 2 Super Tarrasques for the party. It was a high level campaign and they had powerful equipment. The Wizard steps directly up the first Tarrasques and does something. This was the following discussion:

DM: Ok, the Tarrasque attempts to swallow you whole. *Rolls dice* He hits, so make a reflex save or be eaten.
Jon: Like hell I'm making a Reflex save! I'm climbing in!
DM: ...You bastard.

Jon had figured that he took less damage from being inside than outside. He proceeded to cast Damaging spells from inside the things stomach. Apparently, he had watched Men in Black the night before.

Kris Strife
2009-03-10, 07:13 AM
I wasnt the DM, but in a high to epic level campaign in med hold, the party was looking through an elf lord's home to find the cause of several strange occurences. (it detected as overwhelmingly evil for starters)

My epic paladin and a high level paladin find a room that switched gravity every time you walked in. While on the ceiling, we tie his rope to the chandelier and jump out the window while holding on to one end to see what happens. We fell up in a thunderstorm while wearing metal armor.

Dyllan
2009-03-10, 07:30 AM
I'm running a campaign in which the PCs are all lycanthropes. They were captured by a group of awakened bears who are trying to stamp out lycanthropy. Since they're infected, not natural, the only way they could spread the curse is by having children, so the bears gave them a choice: live the rest of their lives with the bears so they would not be able to have children, or take other less pleasant, but more permanent measures to assure the lack of procreation (in this campaign, the gods are awol, and thus there is no divine magic like regeneration to heal such things).

One member of the party had managed to hide his lycanthropy, and negotiated a deal with the bears to gain the party safe passage to the ancient tomb where they hoped to find a cure for lycanthropy. From there they figured they would either find the cure, or somehow escape their escort. After this negotiation, one PC (the Goliath Were-Dire Badger Barbarian/Fighter) decided to go ahead and let them castrate him anyway, because he was an outcast so he was unlikely to ever have a chance to have children regardless.

Needless to say, the jokes won't get old for a *VERY* long time.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-10, 07:39 AM
I was running a solo game for a new player who picked a Rogue. They botch an attempt to pick-pocket a Halfling before deciding to fight the 2 guards who come along by yelling "Sneak Attack!", before missing due to their awful attack bonus (I gave them the opportunity to take Weapon Finesse at level 1 because I can't see a point in the prequisites and the fact that they took 2-weapon fighting was unhelpful to them). They then get locked up before deciding to RP their character as a lunatic by shouting in frustration when they failed to pick the lock on their prison cell door. Because of how badly this was going, I started over.

They got to level 2 before deciding they wanted an assassination mission involving another friend who was in the chat room. They then decide to alert his character to the fact that they decided to try to scare the other player's character out of town, before going shopping for a ranged weapon. They then end up on 1 HP after diving off a 35' tall building after the target (they got onto the roofs at one point). The original player then decided to attack a guard again, which results in a game over. They also decided not to bother with leather armour for some unknown reason (I don't think they ever explained why they never got some).

Renegade93
2009-03-10, 08:01 AM
As a dm on nwn (neverwinter nights) I have encountered some of the creepiest, weirdest, and stupidest people in the known universe and one of the stupidest things a player has done in term of being absolutly retarded is when I was hosting a d20 modern and the museum was being held up and one of the player tried to be the hero only making the situation worse by getting captured but no.... that isnt the stupid part... the stupid part is when the rest of the players were face to face with the gang boss who had a gun to the hostage player's head the hostage player actually started bad mouthing the leader and the leader warned him to shut up or he would shoot and so of course the player ligthly slaps the leader in the face "just to see how he would react" or so he says. In the name of reality I had to perma kill him because he KNEW it would end up in his death and I couldn't bend the rules of a villain's attitude in the favor of an unintellegent player. . .

I have other stupid things as in stupid-awesome at which was when I had a demon server running and there was a succubus taking all the men players and having them roll rediculously high will saves to avoid seduction and mind control. Everyone failed. The crazy stupid thing one of the chicks did was take out a regular silver dinner tong (Silver hurts them) from the resteraunt nearby and rush in and stab the succubus with a natural 20 dex roll and knock he onto the table where she rolled a natural 20 will save to resist a special type of mind control and then rolled a natural 20 strength save to burst her through the table into a pit that was being covered by this "table" and then a natural 20 dex save again to avoid falling in with her, talk about lucky.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-10, 08:39 AM
I have other stupid things as in stupid-awesome at which was when I had a demon server running and there was a succubus taking all the men players and having them roll rediculously high will saves to avoid seduction and mind control. Everyone failed. The crazy stupid thing one of the chicks did was take out a regular silver dinner tong (Silver hurts them) from the resteraunt nearby and rush in and stab the succubus with a natural 20 dex roll and knock he onto the table where she rolled a natural 20 will save to resist a special type of mind control and then rolled a natural 20 strength save to burst her through the table into a pit that was being covered by this "table" and then a natural 20 dex save again to avoid falling in with her, talk about lucky.

The odds of that happening are really slim; filed dice?

Renegade93
2009-03-10, 11:27 AM
Yeah it was all legit, I'm also a very good scripter for nwn. (Which is by the way a form of D&D on the computer.) I couldn't believe it myself until I took the player's personal dicebag and examined the scripts from beginning to end. (which took forever.) I found out it was legit and she was just really...really...really lucky.

Rhiannon87
2009-03-10, 07:02 PM
In a game where I'm not DMing, the following things have occurred:

- A player got picked up by a teleporting demon and carried 200 feet up above the castle we were in; the player, a cleric, cast windwall in order to slow his descent, and thus survived falling from the height, and back through the castle (we were in the basement, but the DM decided to reward the player's quick thinking by having him crash through several floors of the castle without damage, chalking it up to "the grace of Pelor")

- A player rolled a "diplomacy yawn" in order to convince a zombie giant to open it's mouth and drop the ring that had previously been tossed in there.

- We killed the final boss of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft because our fighter hit him in the head with a thighbone relic (disrupting weapon, fort save DC of 14), and our DM rolled a 1 on the save. Most anti-climactic end to a module ever... except for the part where the party had nearly died at the blades of a Slaughterstone Eviscerator, aka "a Buick with swords on top".

- In a different game, we killed a vampire by beating it to death with a bag. We knew IC that we were going to be fighting vampires, and thus the divine casters in the party spent DAYS creating bottles of holy water. We loaded the bottles into burlap sacks, tied five feet of rope to the end of the sacks, and went hunting. 20 bottles of holy water hitting a vampire all at once takes them out pretty quick.

- Same game as the vampires, we kept killing the DM's precious arch villain. The first time we encountered him, we tore his corpse in half (or possibly into 2/3 and 1/3, depending on who you ask) after one of the fighters nearly chopped him in two, and one of his minions tried to ride away with the body. Successful grapple... successful STR check... half a corpse. Later in that game, the same fighter charged the resurrected villain after the villain threatened to drop a necklace of fireballs if anyone approached him. Luck points + decent saves kept him alive... the DM got rid of luck points after that. I think he was bitter.

I know we've done some other crazy stuff, but those are the ones I can think of now. The players in the game I'm running haven't done a ton to me yet... just ripped all the copper doors out of a dungeon in order to sell them in a local city (and potentially crash the entire economy, having vastly devalued copper).

holywhippet
2009-03-10, 07:57 PM
I'm not the DM, but in our last 4E session our party came across a room with the floor covered in ice inside of a very large burial mound. Attempts to walk across the ice result in players slipping over and taking damage. So the wizard decides to repeatedly hit the ice with thunderwave to break it up. Of course, on his fourth attempt the party get smacked with rocks falling from the ceiling that have been shaken loose from the shockwaves.

I've never seen a player almost accidently create a "rocks fall, everyone dies" situation before.

ridly
2009-03-10, 08:19 PM
I'm not a dm but once my friends killed a swarm of orcs (one almost died from charging up even though he was a sorcerer) then ran out of food so what did they do? if you guessed eat the orcs you were correct. they made a fire out of the dead bodies and aet them. One got Ecoli from raw orc stomach. later he was in jail and barfed all over the guards.

charl
2009-03-10, 08:25 PM
I wonder what orc tastes like.

Assassin89
2009-03-10, 08:50 PM
I'm not a dm but once my friends killed a swarm of orcs (one almost died from charging up even though he was a sorcerer) then ran out of food so what did they do? if you guessed eat the orcs you were correct. they made a fire out of the dead bodies and ate them. One got Ecoli from raw orc stomach. later he was in jail and barfed all over the guards.

I'm not a DM either, but your scenario is similar one I was in, where a goblin ate a few dire rats, and got filth fever. There was not vomiting though.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-10, 09:52 PM

I dunno, but it'd probably be as tough as old leather.

charl
2009-03-10, 10:01 PM
I dunno, but it'd probably be as tough as old leather.

I remember a recent monster manual of sort made for a Swedish post-apocalyptic RPG (Mutant: undergångens arvtagare) that had notes on every monster's use in the cooking arts ("the giant flying lobster monster is excellent when fried with a little garlic and onion and served with a white wine sauce"), as well as several recipes at the end of the book, all written in-character.

The dungeons and dragons monster manual needs something like that.

I should start a community project to make that.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-11, 08:56 AM

I bet they are one of the few things that does not taste like chicken.

TheCountAlucard
2009-03-11, 02:06 PM

e
There is an orc corpse here; eat it? [ynq] (n)
y
This orc corpse tastes terrible! You have a hard time getting it all down.

Myou
2009-03-11, 02:27 PM

Everything tastes like chicken.

Magnor Criol
2009-03-11, 02:48 PM
[Kraken story]

One of my friends talks about a time he was playing a bard in a sea campaign. The party's ship was attacked by a sea monster of some nature. He got the party fighter to toss him out over the edge of the ship from the crow's nest (he was playing a halfling, I believe) and cast Summon Instrument when he was above the monster...to summon a pipe organ. Gravity took care of the rest, and the sea monster went to ground with a pipe organ shoved through its brain.

(Yes, they did bend the rules here...specifically the "can't summon an instrument too big to be held in two hands" line. The DM liked the idea so much when Matt threw it out he just okayed it anyhow. =p)

Ravens_cry
2009-03-11, 05:19 PM
I imagine it would taste like pork, gamy, possibly musky, pork. I base this on how long pig allegedly tastes like.

charl
2009-03-11, 06:55 PM
I imagine orc would be pretty hard to chew.

Wafflecart
2009-03-11, 07:40 PM
I harpooned a ghost once.

Rhiannon87
2009-03-11, 08:15 PM
One of my friends talks about a time he was playing a bard in a sea campaign. The party's ship was attacked by a sea monster of some nature. He got the party fighter to toss him out over the edge of the ship from the crow's nest (he was playing a halfling, I believe) and cast Summon Instrument when he was above the monster...to summon a pipe organ. Gravity took care of the rest, and the sea monster went to ground with a pipe organ shoved through its brain.

(Yes, they did bend the rules here...specifically the "can't summon an instrument too big to be held in two hands" line. The DM liked the idea so much when Matt threw it out he just okayed it anyhow. =p)

This reminds me of when I was playing a gnome druid/master of many forms whose favorite battle shape was a rhino. Once I was scouting as an owl, spotted a group of zombies, and turned into a rhino... 80 feet up. The zombies took 8d6 damage, I took half (arguing that the squishy zombie flesh broke my fall), and then gored and trampled the survivors. We also had a fight where the enlarged fighter hurled the gnome at a group of enemies, and she turned into a rhino in mid-air. The second one was probably somewhat against the rules, but the DM thought the idea of a gnome flying through the air, turning into a rhino at the last minute, and hitting the enemies like a bowling ball was hilarious and allowed it.

In short: summoning/turning into heavy stuff really high up and dropping on enemies is awesome.

Ikkin El
2009-03-12, 02:39 AM
I wasn't the GM, I was a dwarf mage in a 4th ed. Shadowrun game, focusing on conjuration, summoning, and magical espionage, plus a couple random spells I had thought were cool, including, importantly, Fly or Levitate or some such thing. The campaign was based in Seattle.

When we met Mr. Johnson* to hear our first job offer, the description was simple: a small boat was heading into the Seattle port in exactly four days and we were to make sure it didn't get there. No questions asked. In, out, and collect our money.

Only problem was, we didn't have a boat, so we couldn't exactly intercept it; and we definitely couldn't do the job too close to the harbor unless we wanted Lone Star** on our asses for the whole campaign. Well, no biggie, right? We would just rent a tug boat, go out to sea, wait for the other boat, and blow it up. But we rolled terribly, and it turned out that the only boat we could get on such short notice was a yacht that we definitely couldn't afford.

Our face made some calls and found a local politician willing to have an election fundraiser on a couple of days' notice, and our troll adept got a bunch of his troll buddies together to work security in exchange for free beer after the party. We invited all the A-listers and B-listers in town for the equivalent of a $200/plate meet-and-greet with the politico to pay for the damn ship.

Of course, as anyone who's played Shadowrun knows, the next step was to spend the rest of the session planning the attack. So we had a yacht full of buzzed-to-drunk big wigs and we had to figure out a way to blow up another boat from ours right in the middle of the party without anyone noticing. Luckily for the blowing-stuff-up part, our tank was almost literally a tank--permanently locked in a sort of scaled-down mech suit with machine guns for arms. If we stayed within (I think; don't quite remember) 100 meters or so, I could cast jump on his back, cast Fly or Levitate or whatever, and ride across the sky, getting a front row seat to the action, while summoning water spirits to perform some kind of fun entertainment for our guests and thus distract them from the mayhem going on at sea. The spirits would manifest the way that I saw them according to my own school of magic (roughly, according to my mystical beliefs).

The problem? I had invented a Humanist school of magic for my character, in which spirits were acknowledged only as intersecting paths of magical energy which (meta)humans could bend to their will, not as God-like sentient creatures. So if I summoned water spirits, they would just be boring little spheres of energy.

So what did we do? We jacked up the cost per plate and hired a ****ing rock band.

The job was just to intercept a personal watercraft and we ended up with a yacht, hundreds of big wigs, expensive catering, and a rock band.

Unfortunately, I never got to see how that one resolved itself, since the group disbanded shortly thereafter. Buncha flakes....

* Generic name for an anonymous client.
** Private police force.

Then there's the time I set the party's donkey on fire in Castles & Crusades, but that's another story....

Did the DM say it was okay? If so, no harm, no foul. Whatever the DM says, goes. Thats how the game works, IIRC.

Our D&D groups in high school formalized this rule with the "I Believe" Button. All players were required to draw a button (the kind you push, not the kind you fasten) on the back of their character sheets and label it "I Believe". If they started bickering with the DM's interpretation, the DM could just say "press the button", and they had to press the "I Believe" button or suffer a lightning attack. Worked pretty well. :D

They saved Sacramento.

That's really great RP. They made a choice that real heroes would have had to make, at the cost of their own adventure.

Ikkin El
2009-03-12, 02:41 AM
Oh - I just remembered why I had to ride on the exoskeleton dude's back. The plan wasn't for him to take the boat out with machine guns (he didn't actually have machine gun hands, I misremembered that part), it was for him to shoot at the thing with his gun while I cast spells to help take it down.

ridly
2009-03-12, 05:49 PM
One time I was in a group with elf rouge, who got into a fight with a dwarf in an ally. He killed him and decided to hide the corpse in the local out house. After he placing him their, he decided to pickpocket him, and started to rummage through his pockets for loot. At this point a pedestrian strolls up to use the outhouse, pauses and replies "I see you like Dwarves Eh?" and backs away slowly in disgust. We had a good laugh at that.

Thajocoth
2009-03-12, 05:58 PM
After hitting an Elven Cleric, the player said he was using Second Chance as an interrupt. I retossed the d20, and immediately caught it in the air, replying "Wait a minute... You're an Elf, not a Halfling!".

I'm pretty sure this player has been cheating whenever possible... But whatever.

In another campaign, as a player, me and this same guy mentioned above lept off a ledge, each grabbed a gargoyle mid-air and bodyslammed them into the ground. (Same round, so... in unison). Sure, we took a little fall damage, but the gargoyles got most of it, and were no longer in the air.

Ovaltine Patrol
2009-03-12, 10:15 PM
My rogue Bristol got into all kinds of hi jinks with immovable rods. The party had access to multiple flying carpets, and the enemy we were after knew it, so we set a trap with my rogue as the bait: Bristol rigged two immovable rods up in the sky and slung a nice carpet over them, sitting on one of the rods so it appeared as if he was dangling his feet over the edge of the carpet. While he's peering through a spyglass, doing his best to look inattentive, the villain jumps off his flying steed and drops down from above, hoping to knock Bristol off and claim the carpet for himself. Naturally, he lands on the middle of the carpet and the whole thing falls between the two rods. My rogue managed to hang on to one of the rods, the villain crashed down below where Bristol's buddies made short work of him.

In the meantime, Bristol has to play chicken with the flying mount, pressing the button to fall just before the mount can get him, and turning it on again to avoid plummeting to his doom (making various checks to not lose his grip and whatnot).

Kwinza
2009-03-13, 04:06 AM
Something 1 of my players did about a year ago;

Ok so we've got 3 pc's and a fly fortress about to destroy a town with a huge magical blast, we have a wizard a psi warrior and a monk.
They all get aboard the ship and start killing crewmen(fair enough really)
But due to them taking too long doin that the magic fires at the town.
by this point it looks like theres sweet fa they can do to stop it but the monk has overland flight cast on him so he decides to kamakaza to see if it will help, turns out what he'd planed to do was fly in the way of the attack grab it and abundant step it to another dimention due to the blerb that the move has. so since the only limits on the move are weight related and magic doesnt have a wieght i thought ahh screw it it works and you reapear in this dimention with like 2 hp and your exaursted.

i thought ahh what the heck that was awsome.