PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Feats] Racial Feats III

Fax Celestis
2009-02-28, 10:35 PM
Cunning Evasion [Halfling]
Requirements: Dexterity 15+

Benefit: You may spend a charge from your Natural Talent racial feature as an immediate action to gain the Evasion ability for one round.

You gain an additional Natural Talent charge per day.

Normal: You may only spend your Natural Talent for your racial features.

Draconic Energy [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Constitution 15+, Draconic Inheritor

Benefits: Your natural attacks deal 1d6 additional damage of the energy type your breath weapon deals. You gain the subtype of the appropriate energy type.

You may spend a Natural Talent charge as an immediate action to deal damage to an adjacent opponent that has just struck you in melee. This ability deals equal damage to your breath weapon and is of the same energy type. Unlike your breath weapon, your opponent does not get a Reflex save to halve the damage: they take the full amount.

Draconic Inheritor [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Constitution 15+

Benefit: When selecting this feat, choose one of the following options. It determines your breath weapon and the effects of related feats.

{table=head]Type | Breath Weapon | Shape
Black | Acid | Line
Blue | Electricity | Line
Brass | Fire | Line
Bronze | Electricity | Line
Copper | Acid | Line
Gold | Fire | Cone
Green | Acid | Cone
Red | Fire | Cone
Silver | Cold | Cone
White | Cold | Cone[/table]

You may spend a charge from your Natural Talent racial feature as a standard action to temporarily gain a weaker version of your chosen dragon's breath weapon. The breath weapon deals 1d6 damage of the appropriate type. This damage increases for each three character levels you possess, to 2d6 at 3rd level, 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 9th level, 5d6 at 12th level, 6d6 at 15th level, and 7d6 at 18th level. The breath weapon allows a Reflex save for half damage, with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 character level + Constitution modifier.

Line-shaped breath weapons have a range of 10' plus 5' per 2 character levels (maximum 60'). Cone-shaped breath weapons have a range of 10' plus 5' per 3 character levels (maximum 40').

Draconic Lore [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Constitution 15+, Intelligence 15+, Draconic Inheritor

Benefits: You may spend a Natural Talent charge as a standard action to make a special lore check with a bonus equal to one-half your character level + your Intelligence modifier + the number of Kobold or Lizardfolk racial feats you possess to see whether you knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places.

A successful lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. You may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

{table=head]DC | Type of Knowledge
10 | Common, known by at least a substantial minority of the local population.
20 | Uncommon but available, known by only a few people legends.
25 | Obscure, known by few, hard to come by.
30 | Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don't understand the significance of the knowledge.[/table]

Draconic Senses [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Constitution 15+, Wisdom 15+, Draconic Inheritor

Benefits: You gain darkvision, low-light vision, and scent. If you already have any of these abilities, your ranges for them double.

You may spend a Natural Talent charge as a move action to gain Blindsense 15' for an number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Draconic Tail [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Strength 13+, Constitution 15+, Draconic Inheritor

Benefits: You gain a natural attack: your tail. Treat this as a slam attack that deals 1d6 points of damage (for lizardfolk) or 1d4 points of damage (for kobolds). This natural attack is always a secondary natural attack.

You may spend a Natural Talent charge as a standard action to perform a tail sweep. Creatures adjacent to you must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + the number of kobold or lizardfolk feats you possess + your Strength modifier) or fall prone.

Draconic Toughness [Kobold, Lizardfolk]
Requirements: Constitution 17+, Draconic Inheritor

Benefits: You gain Hit Points equal to your character level.

You may spend a Natural Talent charge as an immediate action to gain temporary hit points and resistance to the type of energy your breath weapon deals equal to twice your Constitution modifier. These temporary hit points and energy resistance last for a number of rounds equal to the number of Kobold or Lizardfolk feats you possess.

Maddened Rage [Gnoll]
Requirements: Rage class feature, Rabid Bite, Constitution 15+, Charisma 13+

Benefit: When raging, you forgo your bonus to Will saves. Instead, you radiate an aura of menace. All opponents within 30' of you when you initiate your rage, when you charge while raging, or when you drop an opponent below 0 hit points while raging must make Will saves (DC 10 + one-half your level of classes that provide or advance rage + your Charisma modifier) or be shaken for the duration of the encounter.

In addition, you may spend a Natural Talent charge while raging to make a bite attack at your full base attack bonus as a swift action.

Luck of the Devil [Halfling]
Requirements: Charisma 15+, Aura of Unluck class feature

Benefit: You may spend your charges you get from your Natural Talent racial feature as if they were luck points for your Luckthief class features.

Pack Tactics [Gnoll]
Requirements: Base Attack Bonus +2

Benefit: You receive an additional +1 bonus when flanking an opponent. If you are flanking with another gnoll who also has this feat, the bonus increases by another +1.

Also, when you bite an opponent, you may spend a Natural Talent charge as an immediate action to initiate a trip attempt. You do not need to make a touch attack and do not provoke attacks of opportunity for this trip attempt. If the attempt fails, your opponent cannot attempt to trip you back.

Rabid Bite [Gnoll]

Benefit: Wou may spend a Natural Talent charge as a move action to cause your bite attacks to carry a disease for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier. This disease is filth fever (an injury disease) and has a Fortitude save DC equal to 10 plus one-half your levels in classes that provide rage plus your Constitution modifier. The disease incubates for 1d3 days and inflicts 1d3 Dexterity and 1d3 Constitution damage.

Solar Cultist [Lizardfolk, Ritual]
Requirements: Wisdom 15+, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks

Benefits: You gain the ability to perform several rituals. Each ritual requires a specific number of ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and takes 10 minutes to perform. The effects of a ritual last for 24 hours or until the magic is expended, whichever comes first. Creatures may only be under the effect of one ritual, regardless of its source, at a time.

Any potential participants require at least one rank in Knowledge (Religion) in order to be able to participate in a Solar Cultist ritual.

Flash of the Noonday Sun (Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) a +5' insight bonus to their land speed and a +1 insight bonus on Reflex saves while in sunlight (partial, overcast, magical, or otherwise).

Midnight Sun (Knowledge (Religion)9 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) the ability to see in darkness--even magical darkness--as if it were full daylight.

Solar Scales (Knowledge (Religion) 14 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) the ability to alter their Natural Armor bonus to a Deflection bonus. A participant may end the duration of the ritual on themselves early as an immediate action if they so choose. By doing so, they may negate an attack that has just struck them. A negated attack inflicts no damage, nor does it apply any additional effects (such as disease, paralysis, or a spell effect). A negated attack must be a targeted effect (such as a touch or ray spell) or a weapon attack (ranged or melee).

Sunlight Priest [Lizardfolk, Ritual]
Requirements: Wisdom 15+, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Solar Cultist

Benefits: You gain the ability to perform several rituals. Each ritual requires a specific number of ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and takes 10 minutes to perform. The effects of a ritual last for 24 hours or until the magic is expended, whichever comes first. Creatures may only be under the effect of one ritual, regardless of its source, at a time.

Any potential participants require at least one rank in Knowledge (Religion) in order to be able to participate in a Sunlight Priest ritual.

Ritual of Daybreak (Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) the ability to create light. By expending the magic of the ritual on themselves, a participant can cast daylight as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to one-half their character level. If the participant has the Solar Cultist feat, their caster level is instead equal to their character level.

Embodiment of the Sun (Knowledge (Religion)13 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) the ability to create a ball of flame. By expending the magic of the ritual on themselves, a participant can cast fireball as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to one-half their character level. If the participant has the Solar Cultist feat, their caster level is instead equal to their character level.

Coronal Wrath (Knowledge (Religion) 18 ranks): By performing this ritual and spending a Natural Talent charge, you grant up to five participants (including yourself, if you so choose) the ability to create light. By expending the magic of the ritual on themselves, a participant can cast sunbeam as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to one-half their character level. If the participant has the Solar Cultist feat, their caster level is instead equal to their character level.

Tiny But Tough [Halfling]

Benefit: You may spend a charges from your Natural Talent racial feature as an immediate action to gain temporary hit points equal to your character level for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier.

Daracaex
2009-03-01, 12:31 AM
Nice! I love the way those ritual feats scale with skill ranks instead of level. I'm a bit confused why you made it pretty clear that you didn't want kobolds to be mini-dragons again in their race thread, but then turned around and did it anyway with these feats.

Lappy9000
2009-03-01, 12:37 AM
Nice! I love the way those ritual feats scale with skill ranks instead of level. I'm a bit confused why you made it pretty clear that you didn't want kobolds to be mini-dragons again in their race thread, but then turned around and did it anyway with these feats.Well it isn't kobolds as mini-dragons. It's Reptilian creatures as medium-dragons!

Rituals look great and I love the feel of all the races. Particularly gnolls as completely savage and vicious.

thegurullamen
2009-03-01, 02:00 AM
Nice! I love the way those ritual feats scale with skill ranks instead of level. I'm a bit confused why you made it pretty clear that you didn't want kobolds to be mini-dragons again in their race thread, but then turned around and did it anyway with these feats.

He said he wanted it to be an option, not the decided flavor for the whole race.

zeruslord
2009-03-01, 06:25 PM
I don't like making kobolds pure min-dragons, but there's not that much conceptual space left. Gnomes have a lot of the trapmaking and skill stuff, and goblins have sneaking and backstabbing. I don't really see anywhere for kobolds to go.

zeruslord
2009-03-01, 06:59 PM
I don't like making kobolds pure min-dragons, but there's not that much conceptual space left. Gnomes have a lot of the trapmaking and skill stuff, and goblins have sneaking and backstabbing. I don't really see anywhere for kobolds to go.

MammonAzrael
2009-03-02, 10:47 AM
Mostly good stuff. :smallsmile:

Cunning Evasion is cool, that's a great way to work in temporary Evasion.
Draconic Energy is pretty strong, adding 3d6 damage (imagine someone using this with a totemist! :smalleek:). But I don't think it's too strong, either.
I like that Draconic Inheritor is the basis for all the other Kobold/Lizardfolk feats. I do think that, especially at later levels a breath weapon with such low damage and a save for half isn't very useful. It could be cool to have the damage scale with how many charges of Natural Talent you have. That way the damage would receive a boost, if you wanted it too, but it would still be plenty useful on its own.
Maddening Rage + Ruby Knight Vindicator = biting hilarity. :smalltongue:
Luck of the Devil is very cool. Why is the Halflings favored class rogue and not luckthief?!
Rabid Bite is flavorful, but I'm worried that the feat actually just reads: You gain an additional Natural Talent charge per day. The disease idea is very good, but nearly useless to PCs. This wouldn't be such a big thing, except that the feat is a prereq for Maddening Rage, which basically makes it a sub-par prereq feat. Maybe it could induce some type of immediate, temporary confusion-like effect?
The two ritual feats are awesome, and I very much look forward to more of them.
Tiny but Tough seems awfully weak compared against Draconic Toughness. I'm not sure what you would add though that would remain in flavor for the feat.

The feats are great, and I look forward to seeing more for gnolls and halflings.

One thing that has caught my curiosity: Why have you made nearly all the attribute prerequisites 15+? Is it because these are racial feats, and thus the creatures taking it are expected to be stronger than normal in those attributes?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-02, 11:30 AM
Luck of the Devil is very cool. Why is the Halflings favored class rogue and not luckthief?!Because I forgot to switch the FC on the forum version. Halfling -> Luckthief; Satyr -> Bard.

Rabid Bite is flavorful, but I'm worried that the feat actually just reads: You gain an additional Natural Talent charge per day. The disease idea is very good, but nearly useless to PCs. This wouldn't be such a big thing, except that the feat is a prereq for Maddening Rage, which basically makes it a sub-par prereq feat. Maybe it could induce some type of immediate, temporary confusion-like effect?Yeah. I was thinking about either doing that, or making it a nauseating effect.

One thing that has caught my curiosity: Why have you made nearly all the attribute prerequisites 15+? Is it because these are racial feats, and thus the creatures taking it are expected to be stronger than normal in those attributes?Correct. Also, the score in question is usually one that the race gets a natural +2 on anyway.

MammonAzrael
2009-03-02, 11:55 AM
Because I forgot to switch the FC on the forum version. Halfling -> Luckthief; Satyr -> Bard.

Cool beans. The bard is a good call, too.

Yeah. I was thinking about either doing that, or making it a nauseating effect.

Hmm...Nauseated might be better for a more Ex ability feel. Maybe 1d3 rounds? The fun thing with nauseated is that they can then only run away from the gnoll, which likely has better movement and can keep up. :smallsmile: Ooh, I like that.

Correct. Also, the score in question is usually one that the race gets a natural +2 on anyway.

Sounds good.

DrakebloodIV
2009-03-04, 02:29 AM
Is the range on the kobld's breath weapon the same as a dragon of haif its levei?

Tingel
2009-03-04, 10:55 AM
Not all lizardfolk or kobolds will be eager to embrace the dragon flavor, so I personally wouldn't make almost all racial feats for those races dependent on draconic heritage. Specifically Draconic Tail could just as well work without the Draconic Inheritor prerequisite, making it available to all members of those two races. A tail attack seems very generic and shouldn't be restricted to those rare individuals with a breath weapon.