PDA

View Full Version : If I could undo all the wrongs that I caused...

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-10, 10:47 PM
This is a Template, I just didn't have room for it in the title. And I'm not gonna ruin a perfectly good Dropkick Murphys lyric.
This is my first attempt at a template, so be kind and please rewind.

Tean's knees buckled as he groped for the stiletto planted in his chest. As he fell, his eyes moved onto his daughter . She was crying something and he saw her lips move, but all was quiet. The fine-crafted boots of his killer filled his vision and the man began to move towards her. Things seemed to slow. Tean's mind dulled and slowed. The pain was a distant feeling. As his sight clouded, something changed. How and why disappeared from his mind. All that remained was a single thought, something more important than the greatest secrets of the gods.
"I cannot let this be."
The assassin only had a moment of painful bewilderment as his own stiletto plunged through his heart. Tean's hand, slicked with his own blood, released the hilt and the man dropped.
"D...daddy?"
He smiled and picked Elysa up as she ran to him. How he yet remained wasn't important. As long as he could, he would protect his little girl. If a god came to claim her, then a god would die.

The Unyielding
Those who resist death, regardless of intelligence, willpower, might, or status, they are the Unyielding. The gentle imbecile who's told his sister will be very sad if he dies, the bodyguard who swore on his life and beyond to protect his charge, the crusader swearing he cannot let himself fall until his mission is done.
Even as the spark of life leaves their eyes, an unquenchable flame lights in the heart of an Unyielding. By sheer desire to live, they endure. As the dead do not typically do this, this template should be exceedingly rare in any given campaign.

Creating An Unyielding
Unyielding is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal, living creature.

Size and Type
Size remains unchanged, type changes to Undead.

Special Qualities
An Unyielding retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.
Refusal (Ex): The Unyielding cannot be killed by reducing them to -10 hit die, and death spells or effects do not affect them. Those brought to -10 hit points or lower are unable to move until they are healed to at least -9 HP. They naturally heal like a living creature of their level/class/etc without the Unyielding template.
Living? (Ex): An Unyielding is undead, but still healed by positive energy and damaged by negative. When in negative hit points or at 0 hp, they are not incapacitated or dying, and do not need to stabilize, avoid strenuous action, and so forth. Unyielding cannot be turned like other undead.
Rasion d'etre (Ex): The Unyielding must have a reason to continue on. This is declared when the template is gained. Examples include: A greedy man determined to protect his greatest treasure, a regretful thief swearing to right the wrongs he caused, and so forth. If their motivation is lost, then they do not immediately die, but they are immediately brought to the status they were at when they gained the Template. Though this would indicate death, they can survive if they've gained levels and hit points.

Abilities
Loss of Con score, gains d12 HD as undead. For purposes of raging, he has the same constitution he did prior to gaining the Unyielding template. If the Unyielding loses his raison d'etre, his Con score returns as 10.
Challenge Rating-???

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +3

Becoming an Unyielding
Becoming an Unyielding is done at the moment of death. It's never a concious decision, one simply wants to live so much that they do. There is no prerequisite roll, stat, or save to become one. If the person wants to live enough, they will become an Unyielding. (Since nearly all dying creatures want to live, this is obviously a rather great want, and so should not be common.) The raison d'etre for the Unyielding should be worked out, lest it be exploited (I won't rest until I've eaten every grain of rice in existence!).

Emmynote: This requires a fair amount of cooperation with the DM and work character-wise.

At any rate, tell me whatcha think. And remember it's my first attempt. Gently! Gently!

Edited to change raison d'etre rules, and add turning immunity.

fangthane
2006-09-10, 11:20 PM
Raison D'etre: Killing everyone I hate

Reason the template could be a bit unbalanced: I hate a handful of greater gods.

It also confers (as written) potential immunity to things like disintegration, destruction and other such goodies, which is powerful in itself without any other elements.

Strictly speaking, most undead templates don't max the creature's original HD but rather raise them to d12's (add 2 for the first HD and 1 for each other, for each "class" of dice raised this way, i.e. 1 for d10, 2 for d8 etc).

The mechanics are a bit odd; an undead who's healed by positive energy and who can spontaneously become mortal once more should the reason for his having cheated death be removed, and not die afterward. I say, if the raison d'etre is removed, the undead creature gives up the ghost (so to speak) - keeping a lease on life gained only because of that reason doesn't make sense at that stage.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-10, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to do -dies on loss of rd'e, or loses template. I'll edit that.

Mr._Blinky
2006-09-10, 11:35 PM
I'd say remove the immunity to vorpal and desintegrate. If you're bodies gone, it doesn't really matter if you're incredibly unwilling to die or not. Also, I'd suggest that unless the Unyielding can find something new to live for, they should die immediatly if their motivation is taken away. If the only reason they're still alive is that they have one extremely important thing to live for, the moment the reason is gone, they have no more reason to stave off the death they've postponed. Other that than that, I can see this being a fun template so long as the DM is resonsible in it's use.

Fizban
2006-09-10, 11:54 PM
Ahh, an idea I've often wondered how to express. I'd take special note of the wound that brought them to have the template. If their Raison D'etre is taken away, the wound comes back and they are at the amount of hp, status, etc, that they were right before getting the template. Stats and other things may have changed since then, causing the Unyielding to survive. If they failed in their task they curse themselves into oblivion (might become random undead, die, whatever). If they succeded (such as his daughter living until death by old age), they are granted a new lease on life and pick up where they left off/begin anew.

Obviously I approve of this template. I really have to make something for MiTP so I can emphatically vote yes on things!

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-11, 11:47 AM
Ahh, an idea I've often wondered how to express. I'd take special note of the wound that brought them to have the template. If their Raison D'etre is taken away, the wound comes back and they are at the amount of hp, status, etc, that they were right before getting the template. Stats and other things may have changed since then, causing the Unyielding to survive. If they failed in their task they curse themselves into oblivion (might become random undead, die, whatever). If they succeded (such as his daughter living until death by old age), they are granted a new lease on life and pick up where they left off/begin anew.

Obviously I approve of this template. I really have to make something for MiTP so I can emphatically vote yes on things!
Awesome! Glad you liked it. (Really, 'cause I've never done one of these before!)
Excellent idea on the "return to status" thing. I'll use that. I didn't make it a "dies immediately" because that just seems so... done with every template like it.
Thanks a lot, editing now.

EDIT: Okay, I changed the rules for losing the rd'e and added a turning immunity. It just doesn't seem to fit being able to turn one.

Jack Mann
2006-09-11, 12:07 PM
If you have access to the Eberron Campaign Setting, you might want to look up the Deathless type. This seems pretty well suited for it.

paddyfool
2006-09-11, 02:01 PM
Like it. Did the idea come from watching "The Crow"?

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-11, 02:07 PM
Thanks. :D
No, I've never actually seen The Crow, unless you count the one on the Satellite of Love.

It came from a few places, mostly songs, but the one that got the ball moving was Bastards on Parade by the Dropkick Murphys.

If I could undo all the wrongs that I caused,
fall to my knees, pray for swiftness and just.
For I'm just a fool, a fool driven to dust.
And the world ain't gonna change for me!
So come all you losers you bastards and cheats,
vagrants and barflies down on the streets.
We're on the path to salvation, vindication awaits.
We're marching on East Broadway streets tonight!

fangthane
2006-09-11, 07:23 PM
Definitely better... Having checked things up it's not a problem for disintegrate anyhow; if it's under 0 hit points, it doesn't matter whether it makes the save or not, it goes bye-bye. I'd imagine Destruction would arguably still not work, since it's a slay effect on a failed save.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-11, 07:53 PM
Maybe, for purposes of completing a campaign, an Unyielding will be disintigrated/blown to an octillion very tiny pieces of fleshdestroyed as normal by when killed normally or by death effects, but would reform at a later time, so that you don't have characters casting earthquake as a melee spell to take out the army of orcs who are sorming the castle of the man she swore to guard. Now, if they want to complete their mission, they have to be careful of how they use their sub-immortality.