PDA

View Full Version : [Creature-MitP] Inspired by Tin Machine

fangthane
2006-09-06, 11:05 PM
I doubt that title will clue most people in... but a line in one of their songs gave me the idea for Worms of Paradise, and the rest just naturally followed.

If I've missed anything, especially in the cut/paste, let me know :)
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out....

There are 4 worms; I've detailed the first here and the others as exceptions below.

Submitted for Monsters in the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87;start=0)

Worms of Paradise
Fine Animal
Hit Dice:1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed:5, Burrow 5, Fleshburrow 5 (unable to run)
Armor Class: 23 (+5 Dex, +8 size) touch 23, flatfooted 18
Base Attack/Grapple:+0/-8
Attack: Inhabit (melee touch) +5
Full Attack: Inhabit (melee touch) +5
Space/Reach: 0/0
Special Attacks: Inhabit, The Worm Turns
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60', Breed, Detect Evil, Paradisiac Symbiosis
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +7, Will -1
Abilities:Str 1, Dex 20, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +15, Move Silently +16
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any soil, Any (Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid host)
Organization: Solitary (sated), Clutch (1d6+1, peckish), Cluster (1d3+2 Clutches, hungry)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Good
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: N/A

There's little enough to distinguish this worm from any other, but somehow you get the impression it's special nonetheless. Perhaps it's the way it seems to watch you as you move.

The Worms of Paradise are, some say, a gift of the gods; though which god is credited depends on who you ask. Others claim that they are one of the few remaining legacies of a society which challenged the gods and was punished for its transgressions. Whatever their origin, they remain relatively rare due to their tendency to outstrip their food supply. A Worm of Paradise eats evil, in whatever form it finds, absorbing and converting it as energy, which often has profound, if short-lived, effects on its vicinity. They often prosper in symbiosis with strong-willed individuals, and entire parties of Inhabited adventurers are possible, if rare.

Worms of Paradise never enter combat as such, though if they sense a food source in a nearby character they may charge and attempt to Inhabit that character.
Special: Two opposed worms which encounter one another outside a host immediately initiate a mutual grapple and each attempts to consume the other. Such a consumption attempt requires each worm to make a fortitude save, DC 20, on its initiative each round (unless somehow incapacitated). The Worm receives a +1 bonus to its "save" for this purpose for each hunger category below Replete. Success deals one point of damage to the opponent worm, and one point for each 5 by which the DC is exceeded. A Worm reduced to 0 hit points in this manner is instantly slain.

Breed (Ex): A Replete Worm (see The Worm Turns below) which absorbs its fill of energy may Breed by planting 6 mini-buds in special cysts in its host. These buds hatch in 1d4 days and grow into Worms of the same variety as their parent in 2 more days, seeking new hosts generally within the week. A Healing check may be made (DC 20) to remove each cyst but each such attempt deals 1d4 damage to the host whether successful or not.

Detect Evil (Ex): A Worm of Paradise constantly detects evil at a range of 5 feet, as an evolved means of seeking food.

Fleshburrow (Ex): A Worm secretes a series of enzymes when Inhabiting a host (see below) which allow it to pass without causing excessive trauma and repair any damage necessary to its passage through otherwise-impassable tissues; it is capable of moving through the flesh of a host as freely as through earth or on land, although usually once it has completed its daily requirements for Symbiosis it takes up residence near its host's brain, in order to intercept potentially edible thoughts. Due to the enzymes released, any host which has been Inhabited long enough to receive enhancement bonuses is essentially anathema to any worms but the Inhabiting worm and its progeny, if any.

Inhabit (Ex): A Worm is capable of Inhabiting any target with a physiology in order to consume residue of its opposed alignment contained within the host's tissues and thoughts. It generally will remain in a single host unless it becomes ravenous, whereupon it will attempt to transfer itself to the first appropriate alternate host which becomes available. If the Worm successfully makes a touch attack roll versus such a host, it is able to instantly Inhabit that host. A healing check may be made within 10 rounds (DC 17) to remove the worm, but any such check deals 1d4 points damage to the host regardless of success. After a minute has passed, the worm's removal requires a DC 20 healing check. If this healing check succeeds, the worm is removed; if it fails, the host must make a fortitude save, DC 10 + the amount by which the healing check failed, or die.

Paradisiac Symbiosis (Ex): A Worm of Paradise which inhabits a host prefers a healthy environment; as it works its way through its host's form searching for edibles it performs repair work and actually improves things. After 24 hours of this symbiosis, the host receives a +1 enhancement bonus to Constitution; after 1 week, the bonus increases to +2. This bonus is a natural result of the Worm's maintenance and persists even under anti-magic or similar conditions. For each week the worm Inhabits a host, the bonus remains for one additional day after its departure or destruction.

The Worm Turns (Ex): A worm Inhabiting a host devours as much energy as its fortitude will permit, which may leave its host short of the motivation it craves. One time each week, a Worm which has inhabited its host for at least 24 hours may make a fortitude save opposed by its host's will save. The Worm receives a +1 bonus to its save for each such contest it and its host have had, not counting the current one. If the host's save is 10 or more greater than that of the Worm, the Worm's hunger (Replete, Sated, Comfortable, Peckish, Hungry, Ravenous, Starving) is reduced two categories. If the Worm was already Replete, it will use the energy to Breed. If the host beats the Worm by less than 10, nothing happens. If the Worm's saving throw is higher than that of its host, two things happen. First, the Worm becomes hungrier. Second, the host is required to make a second will save, DC 10 + the difference in the first two saving throws, or be shifted one alignment category toward that of the Worm. Characters who share the Worm's dominant (non-neutral) alignment ignore this effect.
Special: A Worm of Paradise in a soil environment rapidly consumes evil residue in its vicinity, allowing it to alter the complexion of the surroundings. In such an environment, The Worm Turns applies to its ability to produce an effect equivalent to Consecrate in a 5-foot square area over the course of a day. This effect remains for 1 week and then dissipates as the purified soil becomes corrupted once again.

Worms of Destruction
As Worms of Paradise, except:

Alignment: Neutral Evil
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60', Breed, Detect Good, Hellish Symbiosis

Detect Good (Ex): A Worm of Destruction constantly detects good at a range of 5 feet, as an evolved means of seeking food.

Hellish Symbiosis (Ex): A Worm of Destruction which inhabits a host prefers a strong environment; as it works its way through its host's form searching for edibles it performs repair work and actually improves things, however it's unconcerned about anything else. After 24 hours of this symbiosis, the host receives a +1 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and is drained 1 point of Charisma; after 1 week, the bonus (and total drain) increases to +2. This bonus is a natural result of the Worm's maintenance and persists even under anti-magic or similar conditions. For each week the worm Inhabits a host, the bonus remains for one additional day after its departure or destruction. Any attempt to restore the drained charisma while the Worm remains automatically fails.

The Worm Turns (Ex): As Worms of Paradise, except
Special: A Worm of Destruction in a soil environment rapidly consumes good residue in its vicinity, allowing it to alter the complexion of the surroundings. In such an environment, The Worm Turns applies to its ability to produce an effect equivalent to Desecrate in a 5-foot square area over the course of a day. This effect remains for 1 week and then dissipates as the corrupted soil loses its virulence once again.

Worms of Rectitude

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60', Breed, Detect Chaos, Orderly Symbiosis

Detect Chaos (Ex): A Worm of Rectitude constantly detects chaos at a range of 5 feet, as an evolved means of seeking food.

Orderly Symbiosis (Ex): A Worm of Rectitude which inhabits a host prefers a well-ordered environment; as it works its way through its host's form searching for edibles it performs repair work and actually improves things, streamlining processes and reactions. After 24 hours of this symbiosis, the host receives a +1 enhancement bonus to Dexterity; after 1 week, the bonus increases to +2. This bonus is a natural result of the Worm's maintenance and persists even under anti-magic or similar conditions. For each week the worm Inhabits a host, the bonus remains for one additional day after its departure or destruction.

Special: A Worm of Rectitude in a soil environment rapidly consumes chaotic residue in its vicinity, allowing it to alter the complexion of the surroundings. In such an environment, The Worm Turns applies to its ability to produce an effect equivalent to Zone of Truth in a 5-foot square area over the course of a day. This effect remains for 1 week and then dissipates as the soil loses its force of law once again.

Worms of Whimsy

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60', Breed, Chaotic Symbiosis, Detect Law

Detect Law (Ex): A Worm of Whimsy constantly detects law at a range of 5 feet, as an evolved means of seeking food.

Chaotic Symbiosis (Ex): A Worm of Whimsy which inhabits a host prefers an adaptable environment; as it works its way through its host's form searching for edibles it performs repair work and actually improves things, however it's unconcerned about side effects. After 24 hours of this symbiosis, the host receives a +1 enhancement bonus to two of Strength, Dexterity and Constitition (roll 1d3 for the odd stat out), and is drained 1 point of Charisma; after 1 week, the bonus (and total drain) increases to +2. This bonus is a natural result of the Worm's maintenance and persists even under anti-magic or similar conditions. For each week the worm Inhabits a host, the bonus remains for one additional day after its departure or destruction.

Special: A Worm of Whimsy in a soil environment rapidly consumes lawful residue in its vicinity, allowing it to alter the complexion of the surroundings. In such an environment, The Worm Turns applies to its ability to produce an effect which bestows Undetectable Alignment in a 5-foot square area over the course of a day. Any character who stands upon the 5-foot square so affected receives the effect of the spell until he leaves it and for 10 minutes thereafter. This effect remains for 1 week and then dissipates as the soil becomes mundane once again.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-07, 02:31 AM
What a weird series of monsters. I've begun to enjoy the work you've done on alignments. I imagine a group of relatively skilled actors would really appreciate having precedent for their characters to either suddenly or slowly change their world outlook due to magical or material influences, such that these worms of (X) provide.

In terms of missing anything, your Chaos worms are Neutral Evil, which I assume is a copy/paste error. Also, in their Organization, having 3-5 Clutches of 2-7 seems unreasonably vague- a specific number or range of numbers would be appreciated.

As I can imagine a character already which, through inhabitation of a Worm, has drastically changed alignment to side with the heroes in a Reformed Villain style, I must say that I approve heartily of your worms, Fangthane.

MitP vote: Yes.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 02:40 AM
Hehehe good point - my thought was 1-6 eggs plus a parent, 3-5 party members, to be honest :)

That is, a single is from someone who was slain recently, a clutch is a full 'family' and a cluster is (up to) a family each for a party of dead npcs (who needn't still be around)

Thanks for the heads-up and the kind words :)

asromta
2006-09-07, 04:20 AM
MitP Vote: Yes

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-07, 08:19 PM
Why does the Host winning the opposed save feed the worm? I get what you're trying to do; make the worm slowly consume everything it can, then force an alignment change, but your method seems a bit clumsy.

martyboy74
2006-09-07, 08:57 PM
Is there a reason that the various forms of symbiosis give you an enhancement bonus to a stat, instead of an inherent bonus, or a nameless bonus? The way it is now, it won't stack with magic items, and that seems rather silly.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 09:46 PM
IGTN - Essentially, the mechanism is that they feed on their opposed alignment; the will save (ability to generate personal motivation in that opposite alignment) opposed by the mounting fort save (the Worm's feeding capacity) indicates the Worm's growing 'tolerance' for this host's motive energy and tends to end with the Worm becoming hungrier and leaving. The longer the worm is retained, the more of a "backlash" there is in terms of the chance for a low roll making it nigh impossible to avoid the alignment shift (if it happens), but of course the benefits also persist longer. Ultimately though, the save is to see if the worm is capable of consuming the host's will to perform activities opposed to the worm's alignment. If the host produces a bounty (10 or more over) the worm is well-fed, while if it produces insufficient (hunger and a save) the loss of that motivation may trigger an alignment shift.

PD - That's deliberate - I don't want the bonus to be something which is a particular benefit - more like finding an Ioun stone than finding a +5 HA, if you will. I have to admit, I was initially thinking of making it a +4 for good/law and +4/+4/-4 for evil/chaotic, but I realised that'd turn a lot of baddies into furniture. I'd really rather not add another +1 or +2 at low level beyond what the characters might already be able to have acquired after their first major adventure, so making it a non-stacking (enhancement) bonus means that if they get into antimagic or dispels they get a nice surprise, and otherwise there's little real game effect. I'd consider having it scale with level and reach a +4 bonus (and still -2 drain on those affected) at 10 or 14ish. The creature can serve the DM quite well in bolstering a weaker character short-term and in a lot of ways, it's more of a DM tool than anything else - it wouldn't make much of an Animal Companion ;)

Ok, I've edited it to reflect the fact that while it's 1-7 it's 1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and that averages to 3.6 and rounds down. Ah well. I've also given the Worms a short-range alignment Detection ability because it makes sense and doesn't add any real potency.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 10:44 PM
MitP vote: Yes

Nice job. The only thing that concerns me (slightly) is the move speed. Even at a paltry 5 feet with no Run allowed, these guys can still double-move or Charge for 10 feet... in a single 6-second round. How does a worm manage that? It just seems fast for a worm.

On the other hand, what else are you going to do? They do need to be able to actually catch up to and attack a potential host.

Second issue: the touch attack to infect. A touch attack ignores armor... so, that implies that the worm is capable of burrowing into a host despite whatever armor/armor bonuses the character may have! Is that intended?

-Lep

fangthane
2006-09-10, 11:01 PM
As to the move, I have my concerns about that but as you noted that's why I proscribed running - even there, I'm almost tempted to limit them to partial actions to further restrict things, but I'm not entirely happy with that as a solution either.

As regards the touch attach, I've noted that any number of other 'depends-on-touching-flesh' attacks seem to ignore armor; given the critters' relatively low hit points, the only real danger they pose is to the alignment of an opposed character who doesn't have enough Healing checks (or curative magic to mitigate the healing checks) to have it removed immediately. It's one smack, or one magic missile, from death though (on average) so giving it an advantage on its own attack seemed appropriate.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-11, 01:39 AM
What happens:

a) When these worms encounter each other, and
b) When a character has multiple worms of different types?

fangthane
2006-09-11, 07:38 PM
There we go; they repulse one another with their enzymes when Inhabiting hosts, and otherwise will attempt to absorb one another. If two get in prior to a bonus being applied, one will be forced out earlier anyhow. :)

Good questions though; here I'd given all this thought to evolutionary responses to palpable alignment, and forgotten about some of the fundamentals :)