PDA

View Full Version : Monster-san theory. (SoD and other potential spoilers!)

xyzzy
2009-03-01, 01:56 AM
Huge quantities of SoD spoilers ahead. Don't read ahead if you don't want it ruined. (Or go buy it real quick and then come back!:smallwink:)

There weren't any threads on this subject that were recent, so I thought I'd create a new one to present the following theory which I formulated this evening:

Monster-san is Hades, from Greek mythology. He survived meeting the Snarl, but his memory is no longer intact.

Okay, now to the evidence (without evidence, Mr. Wright, you haven't got a trial...):

1. Redcloak was young when he first put on the cloak and gained knowledge of The Plan, and he probably didn't know any non-goblins before that. He took on immense amounts of knowledge when he put the cloak on.
2. In the four years between putting on the cloak and meeting Xykon, Redcloak almost certainly had little or no contact with non-goblins. He probably fought lots of monsters and other enemies, but presumably nothing that fits the description Monster-san is given.
3. After meeting Xykon, it's more than likely that Redcloak spent all of the time before the attack on Lirian's gate with Xykon, because the entire time was presumably spent in preparation for The Plan. It's possible he was off meeting other people, but there's nothing at all to suggest this. Again, even if he did, it's highly unlikely that he met anything like Monster-san.
4. In the time between Right Eye abandoning Redcloak and Redcloak finding Right Eye and meeting Monster-san, it's for all purposes confirmed from Xykon's dialogue that Redcloak was rarely if ever not by his side. While Redcloak met other people (since he "had a lot of leads on other Gates"), it is, again, almost certain that none of these leads would've known about Monster-san.
5. This is the crucial bit (and noting this in another thread, "If the secret were to be revealed" is what led me to this theory): "I don't understand. I know what you are. You could kill them all if you wanted." That's Redcloak, speaking to Monster-san. Redcloak knows what Monster-san is, but not who.

Now, why all this leads to Monster-san being Hades.

1. Hades is traditionally considered to be frightening for mortals to look upon, and he is often shrouded in darkness. In addition, he has a helmet that grants invisibility, leaving only shadows.
2. Hades wasn't well-liked by the other gods, and presumably a world with multiple pantheons like OOTS would find him facing similar difficulty, and it's unlikely any of them would notice if he disappeared.
3. Hades is generally represented having both hair on top of his head and a beard. None of the members of the Greek pantheon the Snarl kills in the crayon section of the main comic fit that, so it's possible that Hades lived.
4. The Dark One, shunned by the gods in a manner similar to Hades, likely would have gone to any length to find anyone who might have a similar grudge against the gods and the power to help. Hades definitely would've fit this description.
5. Since the Snarl is described as devouring the souls of those it kills, it's extremely reasonable to believe that damage dealt by the Snarl could cause memory problems and cause irreversible damage to the soul.
6. Monster-san's darkness doesn't jive with the Darkness spell (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Darkness) at all. He is clearly < 40 feet wide, so the 20-foot radius Darkness uses would leave much more than him covered. Obviously if someone made Monster-san be dark, it's almost certain they used a higher-level form of the Darkness spell that's modified from the original since Redcloak is apparently unable to do anything about it, but that poses the problem of who is high enough level to do that.
7. Monster-san isn't aware of the gates; nor does he seem to have any history he's aware of.
8. If Hades (barely) survived meeting the Snarl, then the trauma of it could continue in his subconscious even if he doesn't remember why --- he might, for instance, instinctively not notice the gates providing a barrier to the Snarl.
9. Hades' helmet wouldn't do anything beyond the range of his own size.

The Dark One, who is the only person who could've possibly given Redcloak knowledge of what Monster-san was (a Greek god), most likely wouldn't have been able to identify which Greek god Monster-san was, only that he was a god not associated with any of the other pantheons in OOTS. Hades would've been heavily altered by his encounter with the Snarl, and his loner demeanor would've been stripped away with his memories --- he would've been a fresh slate, and his personality would be given the opportunity to reform into the Monster-san we know. He would've kept the helmet after he discovered what it was, and it would later become an important part of his reveal in the circus. It would eventually become a permanent fixture when he became subservient to Xykon, though to anyone who looked at him it would appear to be no different than magical darkness that only covered him.

Any gaping holes in my theory? Comments?

Deploy
2009-03-01, 02:11 AM
i'm pretty sure Hades is dead. We saw a gray skinned blue bearded god whom we assumed was from the greek pantheon talking to Thor and Pig about the purpose of trolls. In the next panel we see both Thor and part of the aforementioned greek god whom he refers to as Hades. In the next strip we see the snarl killing Zeus with several dead members of the Pantheon lying around them. One of these appears to be the same god Thor called Hades, we only see his head but i think it's a much larger stretch to believe Hades survived and these two gods share a close resemblance, as opposed to hades died. Interesting theory though,

xyzzy
2009-03-01, 02:36 AM
There's evidence that all of the crayon panels are propaganda by whoever happens to be narrating when they show up --- this is especially apparent in the fact that in SoD the last two colored pages (okay, second to last and third to last, technically) are entirely fictional --- they're Redcloak filling in the details of what he hopes will happen assuming everything goes as he plans. They're useful only for knowing what their respective narrators would have been told; according to my theory, the gods believed Hades to be dead, and they never bothered to check, so when they passed the story down to Lord Shojo they were providing their own commentary on what probably happened.

The fact that Hades is bald in the shots he's shown in, by the way, does one of two things: either it lends to the gods simply not paying attention to him and not even remembering what he looks like, or the comic is simply inconsistent with the classical Greek representations. I chose to go with the first because making him a total loner lends to the idea that the Snarl completely destroyed his personality and history and that the subconscious stress of nearly being killed made him completely reverse his personality, but the second one is just as valid and perhaps less of a stretch.

Theodoriph
2009-03-01, 02:47 AM
How does your theory explain the two big game hunters and the fact that they recognized what he was?

bluewind95
2009-03-01, 03:14 AM
While that's a very original MitD theory, I think it lacks the ability to explain why, if they know what he is, they treat him like an animal. Certainly not like a god.

xyzzy
2009-03-01, 03:34 AM
Theodoriph:

Since I'm positing that Monster-san has been around since the world began, it's highly likely that he's spent most of that time outside of the jungle, and human contact is highly likely. About 1150ish years had passed by that scene, and no doubt legends would have sprung up about the Mysterious Wandering Guys (or whatever people start calling him). No one who had seen Monster-san would have any proof suggesting he was the only one of his kind --- they would've just seen an immensely powerful thing that they escaped as quickly as possible and described to those in the tavern.

In effect, my theory would require Monster-san to be a long-rumored quest that would eventually drive the annoyed ex-god to take up permanent residence in the jungle. The explorers were almost certainly aware of these rumors and would've had some description of Monster-san to go off of. They didn't, however, have any proof that Monster-san was one-of-a-kind.

I should really go to bed now >.<

David Argall
2009-03-01, 03:53 AM
How does your theory explain the two big game hunters and the fact that they recognized what he was?

Strictly speaking, the big game hunters did not say they recognized the MitD. They merely said it was not from around there. It is very easy to read it as they did recognize it, but there is the alternative that they had no idea and did not want to admit that. [As big game hunters, they are supposed to know all the beasts and so they would be hesitant to confess ignorance when they can hide it.]

Dixieboy
2009-03-01, 04:35 AM
1. Hades is traditionally considered to be frightening for mortals to look upon, and he is often shrouded in darkness.
Not anymoreso than any other gods (The frightening bit) and he is not really described as being shrouded in darkness ever

2. Hades wasn't well-liked by the other gods, and presumably a world with multiple pantheons like OOTS would find him facing similar difficulty, and it's unlikely any of them would notice if he disappeared. Hades is never described as unliked, nor as liked. All we know is that his mother in law despise him and his wife isn't too keen on him either, which is pretty normal for his pantheon

4. The Dark One, shunned by the gods in a manner similar to Hades, likely would have gone to any length to find anyone who might have a similar grudge against the gods and the power to help. Hades definitely would've fit this description. Hades was not shunned, never described as shunned, he just stayed down in the underworld taking care of things... oh yea, and Hades never had a grudge against the other gods.

7. Monster-san isn't aware of the gates; nor does he seem to have any history he's aware of. How does that point in the direction of him being hades?

8. If Hades (barely) survived meeting the Snarl, then the trauma of it could continue in his subconscious even if he doesn't remember why --- he might, for instance, instinctively not notice the gates providing a barrier to the Snarl.Theories with no hold in anything

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-01, 10:49 AM
(without evidence, Mr. Wright, you haven't got a trial...)

Phoenix Wright reference FTW!

Seriously though, you have a decently formed argument, but it's something that's so ridiculous that it's probably wrong.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-01, 11:44 AM
But in SoD, didn't they show monster in the darkness as a
female dwarf In the circuse part?

Cen
2009-03-01, 12:15 PM
Huh, no. I've never said my theory before, because I thought that it's just stupid, and now I see that it makes more sence than yours, sooo... here's MY (and my 4-ys old daughter) theory, that I made up while reading "Winnie-the-pooh":

The Monster in the Darkness is a Heffalump:
1. While considered terryfying and dreadful, he's actually very cheerful and playful
2 Rare but easily recognizable
3 Posses great amount's of strength that he's not really aware of
4 It would be funny if it was true, wouldn't it?

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-01, 12:35 PM
*gasps and falls over backwards* THAT'S IT!!! *shakes hands with*

Kroy
2009-03-01, 12:39 PM
But in SoD, didn't they show monster in the darkness as a
female dwarf In the circuse part?

Huh??? There was a dwarf, but that was the next act.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-01, 12:46 PM
Huh??? There was a dwarf, but that was the next act.

No, he was getting all phyced up and the guy qued him and a dwarf ran on stage, after that redcloak, right eye and company congratulated him.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-01, 01:03 PM
Crimson, the Bearded Lady (who was just a female Dwarf) was the next act; she came on after the MitD left the stage and the ring master had finished shilling the that that his circus was the only place you could see the MitD. When he was on stage, 1 person threw up due to his apperance and someone else claimed he was repulsive and beautiful at the same time. The Dwarf was just a random joke rather then being connected to the Monster's identity. Also, RC didn't meet the MitD until a few pages after RE and his kids went to visit the monster.