PDA

View Full Version : Domovoi (DnD 3.5)

JellyPooga
2009-03-01, 06:55 AM
These Fey critters from Frostburn have a discrepancy...The stat block lists a +4 LA and the 'As Player Characters' lists it as +2...does anyone know which is correct?

They seem pretty good at everything but melee powerhousing (small + strength penalty does not a powerhouse make), but aren't overly powered due to the ECL...I kinda like them I have to say. Does anyone have suggestions for good character concepts/builds for them?

Undead Prince
2009-03-01, 08:07 AM
These Fey critters from Frostburn have a discrepancy...The stat block lists a +4 LA and the 'As Player Characters' lists it as +2...does anyone know which is correct?

They seem pretty good at everything but melee powerhousing (small + strength penalty does not a powerhouse make), but aren't overly powered due to the ECL...I kinda like them I have to say. Does anyone have suggestions for good character concepts/builds for them?

The inconsistency is perhaps due to Domovoi having 2 levels of Fey. I.e. even with the +2 LA in the "characters" description it would still detract 4 levels from your class progression, which really hurts spellcasting.

A Domovoi Cleric or Sorceror would have a lot of spells with high DCs but he'd be FOUR levels behind non-ECL spellcasters. Also, Clerics would be limited to a portfolio of 3 domains - Chaos, Fire and Luck. Fire and Luck are good, though.

OTOH, his skill list is very nice, with such notables as Hide and Move Silently, letting you dip into ShadowDancer for Hide in Plain Sight which is a pretty awesome ability for a spellcaster. This would further nerf your spellcasting though.

All-in-all, it's a tough call at 2 levels of Fey and +2 LA. At +4 LA, I would definitely not take it.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-03-01, 08:49 AM
The inconsistency is perhaps due to Domovoi having 2 levels of Fey. I.e. even with the +2 LA in the "characters" description it would still detract 4 levels from your class progression, which really hurts spellcasting.

Nope, LA listed in the stat block should be the same as the one listed elsewhere. LA does not include any kind of levels, including racial HD.

JellyPooga
2009-03-01, 09:00 AM

Hmm, I'd considered that it might have been that, which would mean it's just a typo and their LA is +2 which equals a +4 ECL.

Spellcasters are hurt quite a lot I suppose; 4 character levels = 2 spell levels different (e.g. a Level 3 Wizard has access to Lvl.2 spells, but a Level 7 Wizard can cast Lvl.4 spells). Rogue-ish and Fighter-types stand to gain though, especially if they dip into magic; if you're only going to take a level or two of Sorcerer over 20 levels, then that +6 Cha is going to be pretty handy for bonus spells and Save DC's. If you can get abilities that are based on level or HD rather than class level, then the 2 Fey HD become less of a drawback.

FinalJustice
2009-03-01, 09:11 AM
What about Sublime Chord? Could they get 9th level spells with it?

Falling Out
2009-03-01, 11:22 AM
One of my players just got Reincarnated as a Domovoi after an accident with psionics...

I ignored the racial HD when randomly flipping to it after the player rolled 100 (DM's choice) on Reincarnate.

So far it seems OK. He was a psionic assassin, so his casting has not been overtly messed up and the stats work very well with his build (and personality)