PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up an Epic Destiny! [ROUND 3: The True Genius]

The Demented One
2009-03-01, 10:35 AM
Given how warm a reception my Exalted epic destinies have gotten in the last week or so, it seems a fertile time to try this out. Ideally, given a couple of weeks, we'll have one hell of an epic destiny (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428). As made by you.

Rules of Voting and Submission (Read before Posting!)

1. Only a single vote per person per aspect is allowed. Multiple voting will not be counted. For submission rounds, however, feel free to submit as many ideas as you like.

2. Post both votes in this thread. For submissions, please send them to me via PM.

3. Please do not criticize or disparage the votes of other forum members. Let the votes fall where they may. Just be patient, and allow other voters to voice their own opinions.

4. Changing of votes is not permitted. Just because something has a lot of votes at some point, doesn't mean you have to hop on the bandwagon.

6. If your vote cannot be tallied due to violation of any of these rules, I will post to inform you of that before voting ends. I will also ask you to modify your vote, so that it may be changed.

7. Unless otherwise stated, each poll's result will be winner-takes-all.

8.Upon commencing each vote I will announce the deadline by which time votes must be in. Voting rounds will last about a week, submission rounds will last until I get a goodly number of submissions. All times are by the Central Time Zone.

Order of Rounds

Type of Destiny Voting
Destiny Concept
Name
Destiny Features
Immortality

Past Rounds

Round 1: Type of Destiny/Concept Submission

To get things started, we need concepts. Please send them in by PM. All I need is a brief description of your idea, ranging from one line to a paragraph. If you want to go ahead and specify which of the below categories the destiny fits into, go ahead; if not, just leave it generic. When we decide on the winning category, I'll include every concept that even loosely fits the category in the voting.

In addition, we need to pick out a category for our destiny to fit into. The six loosely-defined categories we'll be using are below. Vote for one of them. Voting will end at 7:30, central time, on Wednesday night.

Martial: A destiny designed for characters who specialize in combat, be it melee or ranged. Martial adept-focused destinies are included within the purview of this. Examples include the Blade of Ragnarok (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428), Mythic Sovereign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5691781&postcount=5), or Dawn Caste Solar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5802263&postcount=2).

Skilled: A destiny designed for characters who make use of stealth or are focused on the use of skills. Examples include the Mythic Shadow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428), Eternal Seeker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5691763&postcount=3), , or Changing Moon Caste Lunar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5806571&postcount=3).

Arcane: A destiny designed for arcane spellcasters or invocation-users. This type of destiny is probably the one most easily adapted for alternate magic systems, such as psionics or infusions. Examples include the Artifact Lord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428), High Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5691772&postcount=4), or Chosen of Secrets Sidereal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5804061&postcount=5).

Divine: A destiny designed for divine spellcasters, often specializing in either Cleric or Druid class features. Examples include the Demigod (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428), Force of Nature (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428), or Midnight Caste Abyssal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5805528&postcount=3).

Psionic: A destiny designed for psionic manifesters or soulknives. Examples include the Arch-Psion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5691758&postcount=2) and...that's about it.

Other: Anything that doesn't fit into any of the above categories. Wanna make an epic destiny for Binders, Artificers, or Dragon Shamans? This is what you're voting for.

Votes
{table=head;sort=2d]
Type|
Votes
Martial|5
Skilled|0
Arcane|1
Divine|0
Psionic|5
Other|12
[/table]

Round 2: Destiny Concept

All right, it looks like the Other option wins by a landslide. So, for the next round, you'll be voting on one of the following destiny concepts. However! In order for your vote to be counted, your post must include at least two ideas for destiny features. You don't have to have any mechanical specifics, just two things you think they should be able to do. Like "blocking everything (http://imago.hitherby.com/?p=960)," or "building giant necromantic robots out of a bunch of zombies and skeletons." A one-liner is all I need (if you want to submit more than two ideas, or if you want to submit ideas for destinies other than the one you vote for, that's fine. More ideas are always good). Also, note that the names here are only placeholders; the real names will be voted on later. With that settled, here they are:

Adamant Juggernaut: Heroes capable of calling on colossal suits of animated armor, using these giant fighting machines to fight armies and gods themselves. An epic destiny for Artificers.

Doomsday Cultist: Insane mages who call upon great Elder Evils, invoking their apocalyptic wrath. An epic destiny for Binders and other users of pact magic.

Dragonheart Scion: Dragonblooded heroes who gain great power from their heritage, becoming more and more like their true dragon ancestors. An epic destiny for Dragon Shamans or Dragonfire Adepts.

Ebon Sun Harbinger: Occult spreaders of darkness who want no more to destroy all light in all the multiverse. An epic destiny for Shadowcasters and other users of shadow magic.

Esoteric Occultist: Mages who have specialized in spell-like and supernatural abilities, whether through unholy vows, pacts with otherworldly beings, or other strange magics. An epic destiny suitable for a wide range of different supernatural classes including Binders, Warlocks, Truenamers, and others.

Exul: Masters of pact magic who are able to create epic pacts with vestiges, tapping much more of their power. In time, their forbidden arts lead them to become more and more like the vestiges they revere. An epic destiny for binders and other users of pact magic.

Forbidden Avatar: Binders who call upon the Lady of Pain, making a forbidden pact with the mysterious queen of Sigil for unspeakable power. An epic destiny for Binders and other users of pact magic.

Great Old One: Avatars of the Far Realm, these madmen take on twisted, alien forms that grant them horrific power. An epic destiny for Binders and other pact magic users.

Legacy Archon: The ultimate master of a weapon of legacy, capable of drawing even greater power from their chosen item. An epic destiny for anyone using legacy weapons.

True Genius: Heroes inspired to achieve feats of greatness, capable of doing the impossible simply because they do not know it can’t be done. An epic destiny for Factotums.

Votes
{table=head;sort=2d]
Type|
Votes
Adamant Juggernaut|3
Doomsday Cultist|0
Dragonheart Scion|1
Ebon Sun Harbinger|0
Esoteric Occultist|0
Exul|3
Forbidden Avatar|0
Great Old One|1
Legacy Archon|2
True Genius|4
[/table]

Round 3: True Genius Name and Destiny Features

All right, it looks like the True Genius wins by a nose (as for the Adamant Juggernaut and Exul, they'll both be showing up sometime soon). We're down to picking out the destiny's proper name and its destiny features.

For the destiny's name, please vote for one of the following:

Heroic Exalted
Heroic Paragon
Master Adventurer
Sum of All Men
True Genius

For the destiny features, please vote for your favorite four of the following. Note that the four that get picked may not necessarily be the ones with the highest votes–while I'll take that into account, making sure the destiny's balanced will be a big thing. Also, none of the features have any specific level they would appear at; I'll decide that once voting's done.

Cunning Brilliance (Ex)
If you have the inspiration class feature, then you gain an additional number of inspiration points per encounter equal to half your character level. In addition, whenever you would make an attack roll, skill check, or saving through, you may instead spend 5 inspiration points. If you do, then you are treated as though you had rolled a natural 20. If you do not, then you gain the inspiration class feature, and all other Factotum class features that use inspiration points, as a Factotum of half your character level.

Death Denied (Ex)
You become resistant to attacks that would instantly kill you. You gain a +5 luck bonus on saving throws against necromancy effects. If you succeed on a save against a necromancy spell, you suffer no effect, even if you would normally suffer a partial effect. You gain a +10 luck bonus on saving throws against death attacks and saving throws against massive damage. If you roll a 1 on one of these types of saving throws, you can re-roll the die.

Epic Competence (Ex)
At XXth level, you may use your highest ability score modifier in place of any other ability score's modifier for all purposes.

Genius Talent (Ex)
At XXth level, you are treated as having maximum skill ranks in all skills, and all skills are class skills for you. In addition, choose one skill. You do not roll when you make checks with that skill–instead, you are treated as having received a roll of 20 on all checks with that skill. At 24th, 27th, and 30th levels, you may choose an additional skill to have this ability apply to.

Hero With A Thousand Faces (Ex or Su)
At XXth level, you become the sum of all heroes. As a swift action, you may choose any class feature offered by a base class at 20th level or lower, and gain that class feature. Your effective class level is treated as being equal to your character level. If the class feature has subsidiary abilities (as with a Bard’s bardic music, a Druid’s wild shape, or a Factotum’s inspiration), you gain them as well (but not improved versions of that class feature, as with evasion). You may change which class feature you have gained as a swift action. At 30th level, you can also use this ability to gain destiny features from any epic destiny, as long as they are available at 27th level or lower.

I Cannot Fail! (Ex)
At XXth level, your brilliance shines to brightly to ever fade. As long as you have at least one inspiration point remaining, you do not die from being reduced to -10 hp or lower, nor do you become disabled when reduced to below 0 hp. However, if your actual hit point total is reduced to -10 or lower, then you begin losing an inspiration point each round, and may only take a single standard or move action each round.

Just As Planned (Ex)
Your strategies are cunning and unforeseen. At the beginning of each encounter, you formulate a plan that relies on taking advantage of your enemy’s actions, their strategy playing right into your hands. You must state a specific action to be taken by any of your foes, such as casting a specific spell (but not just casting a spell), or attempting to trip you (but not just attacking you). When those circumstances are met, you may take a full round of action before the enemy can actually take that action. Once this ability is triggered, you may set a new condition (since your enemies will have realized the nature of your prior scheme, you cannot reuse a condition). You may also change the current condition set as a standard action.

More Than Mortal
At XXth level, you possess a heroic vigor beyond any other mortal man. You no longer need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe (although you must rest for 8 hours in order to prepare spells). You are also immune to fatigue and exhaustion. Difficult terrain never impedes you. You gain a +30 ft. bonus to your base land speed, and you are treated as having a Climb and Swim speed of 30 ft. (which gives you a +8 bonus on Climb and Swim checks and allows you to always take 10 on such checks). You can exist comfortably in any environment, regardless of temperature (although you gain no resistance to heat or cold), and any environmental damage that would be dealt to you is halved. You are never impeded by planar traits that would damage you or impair your spellcasting.

Perfect Evasion (Ex)
Whenever an enemy attacks you, you may spend an inspiration point as a free action. If you do, the attack misses. You must use this ability before they make their attack roll. Attacks made with artifact weapons, attacks made by deities, or attacks enhanced by a destiny feature cannot be affected by this ability.

Spontaneous Versatility (Ex)
After resting for eight hours, you may exchange any number of feats you have for any feat you meet the prerequisites for. In addition, you may re-distribute any number of skill ranks you have (however, moving a rank from a class skill to a cross-class skill causes it to become a half-rank, and moving a half-rank from a cross-class skill to a class skill causes it to become a full rank). At 30th level, you may exchange any number of class levels you have for levels in other base or prestige classes. However, you may never exchange feats, skill ranks, or class levels in such a way that causes you to fail to meet the prerequisites of any feat, prestige class, epic destiny, or similar abilities you may have.

Surge of Brilliance (Ex)
Once per round, you may take a single additional swift, move, or standard action. However, you cannot use this additional action to perform the same action you took with your normal action of that type that round: for example, you could take two standard actions in one round to attack and cast a spell, but not to attack twice or cast two spells (even if they are different ones).

Tactical Cunning (Ex)
At XXth level, you have utterly mastered warfare. Every attack you make, melee or ranged, is considered a touch attack, and you may add your Intelligence modifier to all attack and damage rolls you make. Whenever an attack you make threatens a critical hit, you automatically confirm it. Attacks you make ignore miss chances from concealment and (for ranged attacks) distance penalties.

Uncanny Senses (Ex)
You gain the uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge class features, and gain blindsight out to 100 ft. You also gain the benefits of a constant true seeing. You do not roll when you make Spot or Listen checks–instead, you are treated as having received a roll of 20 on all Spot and Listen checks. The blindsight and true seeing automatically overcomes any magical attempt at stealth, save for those provided by epic spells, artifacts, and other destiny features.

Name
{table=head;sort=2d]
Type|
Votes
Heroic Exalted|0
Master Adventurer|1
Heroic Paragon|1
Sum of All Men|1
True Genius|3
[/table]

Destiny Features
{table=head;sort=2d]
Type|
Votes
Cunning Brilliance|1
Death Denied|0
Epic Competence|5
Genius Talent|4
Hero With A Thousand Faces|5
I Cannot Fail!|3
Just As Planned|3
More Than Mortal|0
Perfect Evasion|1
Spontaneous Versatility|2
Surge of Brilliance|0
Tactical Cunning|2
Uncanny Senses|2
[/table]

jcsw
2009-03-01, 10:42 AM
Other: Incarnum!

The Demented One
2009-03-01, 10:47 AM
Other: Incarnum!
Oh, knew I was forgetting something. If you want to vote for an "Other" category, you don't have to specify which–just vote for generic Other. So, if you want an incarnum-using epic destiny, vote for "Other" and then submit an meldshaper-y concept to me.

The Bookworm
2009-03-01, 11:49 AM
Arcane!!!!

Zeta Kai
2009-03-01, 11:59 AM
Psionics needs some love.

Pramxnim
2009-03-01, 12:20 PM
Other please. I'd like to see a Dragon Shaman get an epic destiny :D

Vadin
2009-03-01, 12:21 PM
OTHER!

Psion only has one, but all those other classes have none!

The Demented One
2009-03-01, 12:26 PM
OTHER!

Psion only has one, but all those other classes have none!
There actually is one I've made that would fit into the Other category; the Jade Caste Alchemical, an artificer destiny. But that's warforged-only, so it hardly counts.

Stycotl
2009-03-01, 12:34 PM
other; binder

LordZarth
2009-03-01, 01:01 PM
Other, Factotum. I considered voting Skilled, but Factotum's do everything.

Juhn
2009-03-01, 01:08 PM
Psionic is apparently lacking, and this is utterly disappointing to me.

The Demented One
2009-03-01, 01:27 PM
Other, Factotum. I considered voting Skilled, but Factotum's do everything.
I would consider a Factotum-centric destiny as fitting into both the skilled and other categories, and it would be included in either one. If you want to change your vote to skilled, then, I would allow it as a one-time exception. Otherwise, I'll just keep it for Other. Keep in mind, though, that if you have a specific thing you want for Other, you need to submit it as a concept.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-03-01, 01:40 PM
The lack of Psionic epic destinies is a terrible thing and should be fixed.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-03-01, 01:45 PM
I vote Martial.

vegetalss4
2009-03-01, 03:10 PM
i vote for Other

Person1123
2009-03-01, 03:21 PM
Sneaky Psionic?

Eighth_Seraph
2009-03-01, 06:15 PM
Other: Artificer

Because somebody's gotta be epic enough make some really hard-core warforged

Owrtho
2009-03-01, 06:38 PM
I'll vote other. But on a side note would being terrain advantage (and environment use) based be skilled or other?

Owrtho

The Demented One
2009-03-01, 06:54 PM
I'll vote other. But on a side note would being terrain advantage (and environment use) based be skilled or other?

Owrtho
A terrain-based concept could easily fit into several, perhaps even all categories.

Galileo
2009-03-01, 11:45 PM
I vote Martial. Because whacking things with big sticks is way more fun than, say, blasting them with fire, or summoning demons to do thy bidding, or calling down the righteous fury of the heavens to smite your foes...

I just talked myself out of my own opinion. Great going, idiot.

Ziegander
2009-03-02, 12:31 AM
Other, definitely.

ErrantX
2009-03-02, 01:10 AM
I'm going to way in on a losing horse and say Martial.

-X

otakulrd86
2009-03-02, 09:34 AM
My vote is for Martial,

pyrefiend
2009-03-02, 11:10 AM
Psionics all the way.

zeruslord
2009-03-02, 08:22 PM
I'm voting for the craziest Martial destiny you can come up with.

thegurullamen
2009-03-02, 08:30 PM
Other is what we need.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-03-02, 08:48 PM
I'm going with other, but only because there isn't a Gish Epic Destiny yet. (at least not one that I know of. If I'm wrong, please direct me to it. Either way, my vote will stay other)

The Demented One
2009-03-02, 09:46 PM
I'm going with other, but only because there isn't a Gish Epic Destiny yet. (at least not one that I know of. If I'm wrong, please direct me to it. Either way, my vote will stay other)
Note that a traditional arcane/martial gish epic destiny would be...either Martial or Arcane. Probably not other. If you want to change your vote, I'll let you.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-03-02, 10:13 PM
I suppose I see where you're going, however, the specific point is to avoid making the feel either martial or arcane, but specifically both. Anyway, I feel that an other vote would be more interesting either way.

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-02, 11:11 PM
A vote for Other (Binder) Destiny.

I liked the few epic vestiges WotC came up with, I'd like to see what you might come up with. Of course, Factotum, Dragon Shaman, all those others listed under Other would be neat too.

cliffiepizza
2009-03-03, 09:46 AM
I vote other. It'd be really awesome to see an epic binder destiny

The Demented One
2009-03-04, 09:38 PM
Alright, Other seems to be the overwhelming winner. For this next round, vote up which of the destiny concepts in the first post is your favorite. Please read the description for this round of voting; in order for your vote to count, you must include at least two destiny concept features along with your vote.

LordZarth
2009-03-04, 09:48 PM
True Genius.

The one who can do anything. Everything. And better than you.

The one who is smarter than even the gods.

Basically, the True Genius (placeholder name, I assume) should be able to know everything. Literally, at this point he could draw a map of a random city across continent, or tell you the names of everyone in the police in a random town. This should help him in various ways. There should probably be an intelligence requirement.

Two, he should be able to do anything: emulate any class feature (not just Ex), and perhaps polymorph into other races. Once per bit, he should be able to perform astounding feats otherwise impossible (treat as rolling a 30?) through sheer inspiration and genius.

horngeek
2009-03-04, 09:48 PM
Legacy Archon

my ideas are:
Binding: The Character's soul has fused with the legacy weapon, allowing him to control it as it is a part of himself- for in fact, it is!
Release Weapon: The character is able to release the true power of his own soul through the legacy weapon, transforming both him, and it.

Immortality: becomes a part of the weapn.

The Demented One
2009-03-04, 10:06 PM
Legacy Archon

my ideas are:
Binding: The Character's soul has fused with the legacy weapon, allowing him to control it as it is a part of himself- for in fact, it is!
Release Weapon: The character is able to release the true power of his own soul through the legacy weapon, transforming both him, and it.

Immortality: becomes a part of the weapn.
Ooh, while I hadn't mentioned immortalities, submitting those would also be a good. Same goes for names. Just submit pretty much anything you think would be neat, really.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-03-04, 10:37 PM
I vote Dragonblood Scion. Dragon Shamans need some epic love.

Possible 21st level Ability: One that give/increases DR/epic, natural armor, spell resistance, natural weapons... All of which increase over the course of the epic destiny.

Possible 27th level Ability: An increase in the number of dice and die-size for the breath weapons the scion uses.

Possible 30th level Ability: The final boost in your DR, Nat. Armor, SR and Nat. weapons, which gives you the shape of a real dragon, and you are considered to be a true dragon. You're probably also much bigger now.

thegurullamen
2009-03-04, 10:42 PM
Legacy Archon

Ability 1) If your legacy items use the penalties, then this ability nullifies them. If not, the weapon gains an epic progression based on your HD.

Ability 2) Summon Ancestor: You call on an ancestor bound to the history of the blade to assist you. The ancestor is an NPC of your level-4 and serves you for a round per HD you possess. After serving you, the ancestor demands a sacrifice before doing it again. (Ancestor should be determined by the DM.)

Immortality: Lives as long as he wishes and then transforms into a new legacy item.

Eighth_Seraph
2009-03-04, 10:51 PM
I vote Adamant Juggernaut, because somebody needs to be cranking out all those Decks of Many Things and McGuffins that the cool kids are using.

As for abilities, I would love to see some rules laid down for artifact construction - within reason. Basically a definition of what separates an artifact from an epic magic item.

Also, the "giant robot" fluff screams "Golems" and "Warforged" to me. An ability to create constructs with special abilities beyond "hit you harder" would be amazing.

Also, the ability to apply templates to warforged would be pretty amazing, with the destiny perhaps culminating with the Juggernaut becoming some pimped-out, super-magical warforged machine.

The "Immortality" might be that the Juggernaut retreats into the background of the campaign setting, forging the many powerful artifacts and guardian constructs that protect all that is good in the world.

The Demented One
2009-03-04, 11:04 PM
As for abilities, I would love to see some rules laid down for artifact construction - within reason. Basically a definition of what separates an artifact from an epic magic item.
Uh, I've actually already done that. Both the Twilight Caste Solar Exalted and the Jade Caste Alchemical Exalted gain the ability to craft artifacts at level 30.

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-04, 11:41 PM
Man, I was divided between the binders and the dragonheart scion, but I couldn't think of any cool abilities for 'em. I think I'll cast my vote for Adamant Juggernaut:

21st ability: Your craft level carries over to the next level, all the better for making giant robots that probably cost lots of Craft Reserve to make.

I'd also say give them two different paths to go down: let them either create a defensive base/command center (floating fortress type thing) or an offensive Krimm-style Gunmen/giant robot.

Make them big enough to accomodate more than one person; maybe a team of three? One who pilots (robot uses his ability scores, like the Gunmen), one who mans weapons (I'd say have an artificer or spellcaster burn spells/infusions to power the thing, a la this thing: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070129a; make the artificer better at it), and one who makes inspiring speeches about drills and things.

Artificer's always been a team player, go with that.

cliffiepizza
2009-03-05, 12:13 AM
Exul sounds really interesting

The Demented One
2009-03-05, 12:15 AM
Exul sounds really interesting
In order for your vote to be counted, you'll need to add in at least two destiny feature concepts. Check the first post for more details on that whole shebang.

Adumbration
2009-03-05, 02:06 AM
My vote goes for Exul.

Features:
Many in one: You have mastered the art of vestige binding. You automatically succeed on all binding checks for gaining a good pact. The time taken to negotiate a pact is reduced to a Swift action - the vestiges know you better than not to argue, as familiar with you as if you were family. The more vestiges you bind, the greater your abilities become: for each vestige you have bound, your effective Binder level and DCs for your supernatural abilities grows by 1.

Vestige-bound: Once per day, when you otherwise would have died of any effect, and if you have at least one vestige bound, instead of death you are temporarily transported to the place where vestiges reside.

Galileo
2009-03-05, 03:25 AM
I vote for True Genius.
Abilities:

They said it couldn't be done, that I was mad to try it... But I'll show them, I'LL SHOW THEM ALL! - Gains bonuses when attempting a task that similar-level allies have already attempted and failed at, or have pronounced "impossible." Just seems to fit with the idea of the class.

...And I can't think of another idea right now. - I'll come back later.

kyoten
2009-03-05, 05:36 AM
True Genius

Concepts:

Who would have thought! - Able to overcome a challenge that is universally considered IMPOSSIBLE.

Master Emulator - Ability to perfectly replicate any ability that you have seen used.

cliffiepizza
2009-03-05, 09:21 AM
In order for your vote to be counted, you'll need to add in at least two destiny feature concepts. Check the first post for more details on that whole shebang.

Alright, He should get more abilities that are specific to his favored vestige.

and should be able to permanently have some vestige powers even when not bound

The Demented One
2009-03-05, 09:58 AM
True Genius

Alright, He should get more abilities that are specific to his favored vestige.

and should be able to permanently have some vestige powers even when not bound
Thanks; I've added those to my list, and put up your vote.

Stycotl
2009-03-05, 11:28 AM
Exul (The Banished)

Your understanding of vestigial binding has given you near god-like power. You draw incredible amounts of strength from the vestiges that you bind, and find new rituals that allow you to bind vestiges to others, and eventually, to begin binding fragments of your own soul to others. As you gain power, you find yourself inexplicably drawn to the quasi-existence that holds vestiges, and though it might not make sense to the unenlightened, you voluntarily cross the threshold into this strange brand of immortality.

21st level: Something that grants you bonuses on binding, and that grants cool features when bound to a vestige. maybe +10 on bonder level checks, or, as adumbration said, you auto-succeed on binder checks. then give a list of nifty traits, similar to the binder class feature, but epic in proportion, that you get when bound to at least one vestige (bonuses increase with the number of bound vestiges of course). further, all vestigial abilities that have a 5-round recharge are now usable at will.

Orphic Pact (Su): At 24th level, you can partition some of your essence out among those that you wish to bestow great blessings upon–whether they know it or not. Choose a number of creatures no greater than your Charisma modifier upon which you wish to bestow the blessings of your soul.

Using an 8-hour ritual that is similar to that of binding a vestige, you coinhabit the soul of another willing or unwilling creature. This creature needs to be on the same plane as you during the ritual, though future separation does not hinder its effects. An unwilling or unknowing subject gets a Will save (DC is Charisma based) in order to avoid the effect, though it is actually beneficial to them.

A subject that you bind yourself to with this ritual gains a +2 sacred or profane (your choice) bonus to saving throws, and benefit as if they had the Toughness feat. Meanwhile, they have become a repository of sorts for your essence. If ever you fail a saving throw that would cause you to lose control of your body, thoughts, or actions (such as suggestion, mind switch, control body, etc), you can sacrifice one of these soul bindings as an immediate action in order to gain a second saving throw. You must take the results of the second roll, even if they are worse than the first.

If ever you die while having at least one of these soul bindings in effect, your body is consumed in an explosive conflagration that deals 20d6 fire damage to anything within 60 feet, and you appear at the feet of your pact subject that is physically farthest away from you (even if on another plane), unconscious (with enough Charisma damage to place you at zero Charisma), at zero hit points–choose your pact subjects wisely–but with all of the equipment that was on your body at the time of your death. This automatic use also sacrifices the pact between yourself and the subject in question.

Cult of Personality (Su): At 27th level, you have learned how to gift others with, and control their actions through vestigial binding. With a touch, you can use a standard action to bind another willing or unwilling creature to a vestige to which you are currently bound. You choose whether they show the sign, and whether or not the vestige has influential control in the binding. You can also decide at the time of the binding whether or not to include a dominate monster effect.

The creature is allowed to make a single Will saving throw (DC is Charisma based) in order to negate both the binding and any possible dominate monster effects. If it is successful, it is immune to further attempts for 24 hours. If it fails, but would later gain another Will save through commands against its nature as defined in the dominate monster spell, and makes the resultant saving throw, it breaks both the enchantment and binding.

Otherwise, the subject remains bound to the vestige, and dominated by you (if you so chose to do) until you attempt to bind another creature in this fashion–you can only have one creature bound at a time.

Nothing short of epic magic or an epic destiny dispel effect can break the binding and domination of your subject. The subject remains bound to the same vestige even if at a later time, you unbind the one that you were bound to in favor of a different one.

At 30th level, you can bind one creature per Charisma modifier at the same time in this manner.

30th level: would have to be something hella cool; i'm thinking the ability to cast a wish spell as a supernatural ability once per day, but that is too mundane. maybe an elaborate ritual that allows for similar effects.

kyoten
2009-03-05, 03:24 PM
Validated my vote, thanks for the catch there Demented. :smallamused:

Edge
2009-03-05, 04:21 PM
Adamant Juggernaut gets my vote.

Arcano-Inducted Sensor Array: Never be deceived again with this range of sensory-enhancing magictech. True seeing, blindsense, see in darkness or an attack bonus from a target-lock are possibilities for the mechanical effects of this destiny feature.

Iron Within, Iron Without: Your battle chassis is now, by means of various technological couplings and magics that tread the line of insanity is connected to your very mind. Initiative bonuses, Dexterity bonus, who knows?

The Demented One
2009-03-05, 09:33 PM
Exul (The Banished)

Your understanding of vestigial binding has given you near god-like power. You draw incredible amounts of strength from the vestiges that you bind, and find new rituals that allow you to bind vestiges to others, and eventually, to begin binding fragments of your own soul to others. As you gain power, you find yourself inexplicably drawn to the quasi-existence that holds vestiges, and though it might not make sense to the unenlightened, you voluntarily cross the threshold into this strange brand of immortality.

21st level: Something that grants you bonuses on binding, and that grants cool features when bound to a vestige. maybe +10 on bonder level checks, or, as adumbration said, you auto-succeed on binder checks. then give a list of nifty traits, similar to the binder class feature, but epic in proportion, that you get when bound to at least one vestige (bonuses increase with the number of bound vestiges of course). further, all vestigial abilities that have a 5-round recharge are now usable at will.

Orphic Pact (Su): At 24th level, you can partition some of your essence out among those that you wish to bestow great blessings upon–whether they know it or not. Choose a number of creatures no greater than your Charisma modifier upon which you wish to bestow the blessings of your soul.

Using an 8-hour ritual that is similar to that of binding a vestige, you coinhabit the soul of another willing or unwilling creature. This creature needs to be on the same plane as you during the ritual, though future separation does not hinder its effects. An unwilling or unknowing subject gets a Will save (DC is Charisma based) in order to avoid the effect, though it is actually beneficial to them.

A subject that you bind yourself to with this ritual gains a +2 sacred or profane (your choice) bonus to saving throws, and benefit as if they had the Toughness feat. Meanwhile, they have become a repository of sorts for your essence. If ever you fail a saving throw that would cause you to lose control of your body, thoughts, or actions (such as suggestion, mind switch, control body, etc), you can sacrifice one of these soul bindings as an immediate action in order to gain a second saving throw. You must take the results of the second roll, even if they are worse than the first.

If ever you die while having at least one of these soul bindings in effect, your body is consumed in an explosive conflagration that deals 20d6 fire damage to anything within 60 feet, and you appear at the feet of your pact subject that is physically farthest away from you (even if on another plane), unconscious (with enough Charisma damage to place you at zero Charisma), at zero hit points–choose your pact subjects wisely–but with all of the equipment that was on your body at the time of your death. This automatic use also sacrifices the pact between yourself and the subject in question.

Cult of Personality (Su): At 27th level, you have learned how to gift others with, and control their actions through vestigial binding. With a touch, you can use a standard action to bind another willing or unwilling creature to a vestige to which you are currently bound. You choose whether they show the sign, and whether or not the vestige has influential control in the binding. You can also decide at the time of the binding whether or not to include a dominate monster effect.

The creature is allowed to make a single Will saving throw (DC is Charisma based) in order to negate both the binding and any possible dominate monster effects. If it is successful, it is immune to further attempts for 24 hours. If it fails, but would later gain another Will save through commands against its nature as defined in the dominate monster spell, and makes the resultant saving throw, it breaks both the enchantment and binding.

Otherwise, the subject remains bound to the vestige, and dominated by you (if you so chose to do) until you attempt to bind another creature in this fashion–you can only have one creature bound at a time.

Nothing short of epic magic or an epic destiny dispel effect can break the binding and domination of your subject. The subject remains bound to the same vestige even if at a later time, you unbind the one that you were bound to in favor of a different one.

At 30th level, you can bind one creature per Charisma modifier at the same time in this manner.

30th level: would have to be something hella cool; i'm thinking the ability to cast a wish spell as a supernatural ability once per day, but that is too mundane. maybe an elaborate ritual that allows for similar effects.
Wow...that's a hell of an entry. That makes my job a lot easier.

The Demented One
2009-03-06, 10:15 AM
Lil'' bump here.

Llama231
2009-03-06, 10:26 AM
True Genius

The Demented One
2009-03-06, 10:33 AM
True Genius

Adumbration
2009-03-06, 12:34 PM
Hey, do you mind if more class features are written? I'm not quite sure if I agree where Stycotl is taking Exul. Not very Binder-ish, in my opinion.

The Demented One
2009-03-06, 02:54 PM
Hey, do you mind if more class features are written? I'm not quite sure if I agree where Stycotl is taking Exul. Not very Binder-ish, in my opinion.
Feel free to submit more destiny features for any class (and bear in mind that they'll all get voted on in the next round).

The Bookworm
2009-03-06, 09:41 PM
True Genius!
Ability Ideas: Gets bonus ranks in every skill. Always has true seeing activated. Gains profeciencies in all weapons. Gets bardic knowledge.

otakulrd86
2009-03-07, 04:36 PM
My vote is for the Great Old One epic destiny.

Maybe the ability to tear holes in reality and into the Far Realm allowing for all kinds of nightmarish things and warping energies of that the Far Realm to effect the material.

Or the destiny should transform the person into a nightmarish Old One like entity.

The Demented One
2009-03-08, 10:43 AM
Lil' bump. Voting for this round will end tomorrow night, at 7:30 PM.

The Demented One
2009-03-09, 04:29 PM
All right, round 2 is done, with True Genius as our winner (sorry about the lateness, school internet sucks). The next round will be voting up a real name for this class (although I have to say, True Genius is pretty good) and destiny features. Vote for one name and four destiny features.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-03-09, 05:14 PM
True Genius

Uncanny Senses
Just As Planned
Perfect Evasion
Genius Talent

are my votes.

kyoten
2009-03-09, 06:26 PM
True Genius

Cunning Brilliance
Epic Competence
Just As Planned
Spontaneous Versatility

LordZarth
2009-03-09, 06:43 PM
Preface: I realize this vote is unnecessarily complicated and completely changing options.

Well, discount anything you like. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Firstly, I'm sorry, but none of the names really ring with me. I'll change this if you want, but I'd like to vote for "Heroic Paragon". Paragon just says Paragon What? to me.

I'll vote for Master of Talents, Genius Talent, and I Cannot Fail as written.

I want to vote for Epic Competence, but could it be 'Intelligence bonus' instead of 'highest bonus'? More 'True Genius'-y. Also maybe Int stat bonuses?

Oh, and Cunning Brilliance non-Factotum part HAS to be rewritten. It says currently (basically): take any class other than Factotum. Then take this ED. You gain all Factotum powers immediately. You have succeeded in Gestalting in non-Gestalt.

...that being said, I apologize again for any inconvenience. Will change anything you wish. Also, wow on the abilities; good work.

The Demented One
2009-03-09, 06:46 PM
Preface: I realize this vote is unnecessarily complicated and completely changing options.

Well, discount anything you like. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Firstly, I'm sorry, but none of the names really ring with me. I'll change this if you want, but I'd like to vote for "Heroic Paragon". Paragon just says Paragon What? to me.
I'll just change Paragon to that.

I'll vote for Master of Talents, Genius Talent, and I Cannot Fail as written.
Just a little footnote; Master of Talents has been folded into Hero With A Thousand Faces.

I want to vote for Epic Competence, but could it be 'Intelligence bonus' instead of 'highest bonus'? More 'True Genius'-y. Also maybe Int stat bonuses?
Mmm, I'll think about that. Consider it provisionally done.

Oh, and Cunning Brilliance non-Factotum part HAS to be rewritten. It says currently (basically): take any class other than Factotum. Then take this ED. You gain all Factotum powers immediately. You have succeeded in Gestalting in non-Gestalt.
Good point, I'll change it to half-class level.

LordZarth
2009-03-09, 06:55 PM
Thank you.

The Bookworm
2009-03-09, 08:27 PM
Name: True Genius!
Abilities: Genius Talent, Epic Competence, Hero of a Thousand Faces, and Uncanny Senses!

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-09, 10:56 PM
Master Adventurer (Well, I really want to call him Renaissance Man, but that'll do)

I Cannot Fail! (the ! is essential)
Epic Competence
Hero With a Thousand Faces
Tactical Cunning

Edge
2009-03-10, 12:15 PM
Sum of all Men for the name.

Epic Competence, Hero with a Thousand Faces, I Cannot Fail! and Genius Talent for destiny features.

Vadin
2009-03-11, 06:57 PM
Thanks for letting us fknow, D1. :smalltongue:

Hero With A Thousand Faces
Just As Planned
Spontaneous Versatility
and Tactical Cunning for the 4 abilities.

The Demented One
2009-03-11, 07:47 PM
Thanks for letting us fknow, D1. :smalltongue:

Hero With A Thousand Faces
Just As Planned
Spontaneous Versatility
and Tactical Cunning for the 4 abilities.
You can also vote on a name, if you want.

The Demented One
2009-03-13, 09:52 AM
Voting ends tonight, y'all.

The Demented One
2009-03-14, 09:31 AM
The True Genius (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883915#post5883915) is complete and posted!