PDA

View Full Version : Born of the Moon [Template]

The Demented One
2006-08-27, 10:10 PM
Lunar Progeny
Both conceived and born under strange and occult lunar convergences, lunar progeny are strange fey creatures tied to the moon. Though weak and sickly, they have a strange charm. Lunar progeny are thin and pale, with pure white eyes, which seem to glow faintly at night. Lunar progeny tend to be capricious and somewhat apathetic to the fates of others, save on the nights of full moons. During these times, they succumb to lunacy, becoming restless and irrational, though even more forceful of will. Many tribal cultures revere lunar progeny as literal children of the moon, saviors from the sky who bring great power. In such societies, lunar progeny inevitably become shamans and tribal leaders. Lycanthropes and lunar progeny are often attracted to her, and many lunar progeny allow themselves to be bitten by werebeasts in order to grow closer to the moon.

Creating A Lunar Progeny
Lunar Progeny is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal, living creature.

Size and Type
Type changes to fey, and the creature gains the augmented subtype.

Special Attacks
A Lunar Progeny retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special attacks.

Call Down The Moon (Su)
Once per day, a Lunar Progeny with 12 or more HD may speak with the moon, functioning as the spell commune, with caster level equal to the progeny’s HD.

Divinity of the Moon (Su)
Lunar Progeny can draw divine power from the moon. A Lunar Progeny capable of casting divine spells uses its Cha modifier in place of its Wis modifier for determining the level of spell it can cast, the DC of its spell, and how many bonus spells per day it receives, if applicable.

Moonstruck (Su)
Once per day, plus an additional time per day per 4 HD, a Lunar Progeny may surround itself in an aura of captivating moonlight. Any creature within 30 ft. of a Lunar Progeny who looks directly at it while it is surrounded in the aura must succeed on a Will save, DC 10 + ˝ the Lunar Progeny’s HD + the Lunar Progeny’s Cha modifier, or become charmed for 1 hour per HD of the progeny. A creature carrying a pound or more of cold iron or cold iron objects automatically succeeds on its save, except on the night of a full moon, during which it must make its save normally, though it receives a +2 bonus. The aura lasts for 1 round/HD of the progeny.

Special Qualities
A Lunar Progeny retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.

* Damage reduction: 5/cold iron (if HD 11 or less) or 10/cold iron (if HD 12 or more).

Lunacy (Su)
During the night of a full moon, a Lunar Progeny takes a -2 penalty to Wisdom, but gains a +2 bonus to Charisma. It becomes restless and often succumbs to wanderlust, though it can control these urges. In addition, even when this lunacy is dormant, it maintains a powerful sway over the progeny, preventing any other madness from taking its place. This causes the progeny to be immune to confusion, insanity, and similar spells and effects that cause madness.

Superior Low-Light Vision (Ex)
A Lunar Progeny can see five times as far as a human in shadowy illumination and ten times as far if seeing by moonlight.

Tied to the Moon (Ex)
A Lunar Progeny draws its power from the moon. During the day or night of a new moon, during a lunar eclipse, or when on a plane or world lacking a moon, a Lunar Progeny cannot use any of its supernatural abilities granted by the template.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str -2, Dex +2, Cha +2

Challenge Rating
Same as base creature +1.

Alignment
Usually Chaotic Neutral.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +1.

martyboy74
2006-08-28, 09:24 AM
Hmm, lunar crysmals...
Waitamoment! Is there even a moon in the elemental plane of earth?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 01:11 PM
Dude, what is with you and crysmals?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 01:26 PM
*tries to figure out how this even reminds one of crysmals...*

Very cool idea, and love the description. I'd add maybe a 'lunatic fringe', so that while in moonlight their forms become vague and unreal seeming, granting a miss-chance of some degree.

martyboy74
2006-08-28, 01:30 PM
Dude, what is with you and crysmals?
It started back during the psionics contest, when he made a lot of things involving crystal. As crysmals east crystal, it's become a joke.

In hindsight, that's sounding pretty lame.

The Demented One
2006-08-28, 04:25 PM
Hmm, lunar crysmals...
Waitamoment! Is there even a moon in the elemental plane of earth?
No. For that matter, there's not even a sky.

Very cool idea, and love the description. I'd add maybe a 'lunatic fringe', so that while in moonlight their forms become vague and unreal seeming, granting a miss-chance of some degree.
Meh, that would step too much on the dreamborn subtype's toes.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 09:38 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

LordOfNarf
2006-08-29, 10:44 PM
MitP vote Yes

I just love templates

asromta
2006-08-30, 03:08 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-30, 03:49 PM
This is definetly more than +1LA. Charm at anyone who looks at you? That'll stop most combats from even happening.

The Demented One
2006-08-30, 06:42 PM
This is definetly more than +1LA. Charm at anyone who looks at you? That'll stop most combats from even happening.
Except anything with a pound of cold iron is immune, except for three days a month. Now, I don't know about you, but most of my combatant pcs and npcs both silver and cold iron daggers or ammo, which takes care of the low will save types--and honestly, what cleric or wizard is gonna let himself get charmed? Combine that with penalties to Str and Con, losing all supernatural abilities for short periods opf time, and no real offensive ability besides the moonstruck ability, I'd say it balances out.

ShipWrecked
2006-08-30, 06:49 PM
I enjoyed this! might just have to use it? umm with your permission of course.

The Demented One
2006-08-30, 07:09 PM
I enjoyed this! might just have to use it? umm with your permission of course.
Everything I make is free to be used. Only way they'll ever serve any use is if people actually use them.

Edelritter
2006-08-30, 11:35 PM
Wins completely. I like quirky, low-LA templates, and this one sounds like a lot of fun to play. :)

fangthane
2006-09-04, 08:19 PM
A Lunar Progeny capable of casting divine spells uses its Cha modifier in place of its Wis modifier
I'd change this to read "~ may use its Cha modifier in place of its Wis modifier - who knows but that a character will have a high wisdom too?

Moonstruck seems a bit powerful though - perhaps make it read "any creature within 30 feet not involved in combat" and have it break automatically on obvious threats? An automatic charm on entering a 30 foot radius seems a little overpowered for a +1 LA at any rate, but if it's weakened in some dimension that should help.

Randomman413
2006-09-10, 08:24 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

paddyfool
2006-09-11, 11:54 AM
I agree with the opinion that Moonstruck is overpowered. Also, Tied to the Moon should also remove lunar-derived abilities when on other planes (except perhaps the Astral) imho, and you mentioned a Con penalty in a previous post which isn't actually stated out at present. What made you remove it?

The Demented One
2006-09-11, 06:47 PM
I agree with the opinion that Moonstruck is overpowered.
Perhaps I'll look at toning it down a bit.

Also, Tied to the Moon should also remove lunar-derived abilities when on other planes (except perhaps the Astral) imho
Agreed

and you mentioned a Con penalty in a previous post which isn't actually stated out at present. What made you remove it?
I decided that two bonuses and a penalty wasn't terriblly unbalanced for a +1 LA creature. I also dislike Con penalties in general.