PDA

View Full Version : Good persistant spells for Clericzilla

Heliomance
2009-03-01, 05:04 PM
I realise there are a few threads over at Gleemax on this subject, but none of them actually give recommendations as far as I can see they're simply lists of spells that are legal to persist. So with that in mind, what are good spells for an 18th level (good) Cleric to DMM persist? I have 41 turn attempts, so by casting Eagle's Splendour or any other CHA-increasing spell I can get 8 persistant spells up.

Current thoughts:
Holy Transformation
Righteous Might
Probably not Divine Power - I can just get a strength enhancement item, and I'm gestalted with Duskblade so BAB's not an issue.
Mass Lesser Vigour
Greater Visage of the Deity

I have four more persistant spells to put up - any suggestions?

Keld Denar
2009-03-01, 05:21 PM
Either Righteous Wrath of the Faithful or Valiant Fury. The 2nd would be better but is only accessable to clerics with the Courage domain. The 1st would be a decent 2nd. Haste attack and +3 moral bonus to hit and damage.

Do you have Reach Spell?

Death Ward and Freedom of Movement would be perfect candidates then.

Also, Recitation is a +3 Luck to hit, AC, and all saves for you, and either +2 or +3 for your allies depending on their faith.

Also, why Lesser Vigor and not Vigorous Circle? FH 3 is better than FH 1!

Glimbur
2009-03-01, 05:35 PM
I was about to suggest Divine Favor, but it's also luck like Recitiation.

Look at the first level spells, sometimes they're interesting but stuck at just a 1 minute duration static. Entropic Shield, for example, is a constant 20% miss chance for incoming rays and such.

Delay or Neutralize Poison could be a nice near-immunity to have... nice to chain if you can also reach it.

Second for Death Ward and Freedom of Movement.

Douglas
2009-03-01, 05:47 PM
How are you getting 8 Persists out of 41 turn attempts? DMM Persist requires 7 turn attempts per spell.

Anyway, Miracle duplicating Bite of the Werebear is hard to match for numerical increases, much less beat. Death Ward and Freedom of Movement can be gotten on equipment fairly easily (Soulfire armor enhancement from BoED and Ring of Freedom of Movement in core) but Sheltered Vitality's immunity to all ability damage is a bit harder. Stormrage gives immunity to ranged weapon attacks, wind (even tornadoes or hurricanes), and a nifty at will lightning bolt.

Heliomance
2009-03-01, 05:57 PM
How are you getting 8 Persists out of 41 turn attempts? DMM Persist requires 7 turn attempts per spell.

Anyway, Miracle duplicating Bite of the Werebear is hard to match for numerical increases, much less beat. Death Ward and Freedom of Movement can be gotten on equipment fairly easily (Soulfire armor enhancement from BoED and Ring of Freedom of Movement in core) but Sheltered Vitality's immunity to all ability damage is a bit harder. Stormrage gives immunity to ranged weapon attacks, wind (even tornadoes or hurricanes), and a nifty at will lightning bolt.

By getting my maths wrong, that's how. 6 persistant spells. Courage domain I can do; I have 6 levels in Contemplative and am cherry picking my domains; I have Undeath and Planning for Extra Turning and Extend Spell for free, I'm not sure what to take for my other two. I also have Oracle domain from being a Divine Oracle, and I traded out Knowledge Domain for Knowledge Devotion for being a Cloistered Cleric.

Righteous Wrath and Recitation I knew of and forgot to mention, therefore I am now at the stage where I need to choose between buffs.

Unfortunately I have no Reach Spell, I spent almost all my feats on Extra Turning. There are enough personal range buffs to keep me going anyway. Bite of the Werebear does look rather horrific...

Keld Denar
2009-03-01, 06:04 PM
I like Valiant Fury over RRotF. VF only affects 1 target, but it gives a +4 MORAL bonus to Str and Con and an extra attack on a full attack (like Haste, doesn't stack with Haste). That means you get +2 to hit and +3 to damage from it, which means you are trading +1 hit for 2x HD in bonus HP and a +2 fort save. Thats worth it for me. If you have a big party that doesn't have a Bard or regularly see Haste, RRotF might be more party friendly. Moral bonuses to hit are pretty easy to get though (Hero's Feast or Bard) but moral bonuses to stats are pretty freakin rare. With VF, RM, and DP (or a +6 item) all running, you have +20 str. Thats freakishly scary. Tack on Bite of the Werebear via Miracle or Greater Anyspell (spell domain) and you'll have more than that.

Another good domain might be the Time domain. Persisted Forsight is pretty sexy.

Heliomance
2009-03-01, 06:18 PM
One problem with that - Valiant Fury's not persistable. Its Close range.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-01, 06:32 PM
If you're not trying to be sneaky, or may be up against enemies with better vision than you, Grace (Spell Compendium) is worth persisting. It provides a sacred bonus so it stacks with most everything.

Manifestation of the Deity (Complete Scoundrel) makes enemies start out shaken until they make a Will save.

Temp.
2009-03-01, 08:06 PM
Anyway, Miracle duplicating Bite of the Werebear is hard to match for numerical increases, much less beat.

I see your Miracle-ed Bite of the Werebear and raise you one Miracle-ed Giant Size (CArc).

Colossal Size, a +32 Size increase to yer Strength score and +16 to Constitution can be pretty slick. If you've got the space, anyway.

Douglas
2009-03-01, 08:55 PM
Yes, and in how many campaigns would being Colossal all day long not be a rather major inconvenience a large portion of the time?

Temp.
2009-03-01, 10:27 PM
Yes, and in how many campaigns would being Colossal all day long not be a rather major inconvenience a large portion of the time?

If you're a 25-meter ostrich who can spit demons and shoot explosions out of your eyeballs, that sort of inconvenience is more than fair.

Or I guess you could cast at a reduced CL and find a shrink/reduce effect to become Large with only +12 Strength. But that's not as fun.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-01, 11:06 PM
Yes, and in how many campaigns would being Colossal all day long not be a rather major inconvenience a large portion of the time?"There's a Dimension-locked dungeon you need to travel through to find a Lich."
I rip the roof off, reach in, and tear the Lich into itty-bitty pices. Any other indoor missions you want?"

monty
2009-03-02, 01:08 AM
Do you have Reach Spell?

Death Ward and Freedom of Movement would be perfect candidates then.

Actually, FoM is personal or touch, so it's valid anyway. I'd highly recommend taking it.

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-02, 02:35 AM
Fiery Vision and, I think the name is Holy Star? Both grant free action attacks each round, the former by shooting beams of fire from your eyes.

Consider Greater Consumptive Field, I don't think it's actually marked [Evil], merely a little dubious to be profiting from death in the area. If you have the Animal domain, I believe Shapechange can be persisted.

There's also the last Necrotic Cyst spell from Libris Mortis. Gross, but again, not strictly evil, I don't think. And it gives you large stat bonuses and like 100 extra HP.

TheCountAlucard
2009-03-02, 12:17 PM

That's why you take Supressable spell, from the Giant's gaming articles here! Cast it, then supress it, and then when you need to get big, just yell, "Ee Nay Chuck!" :smalltongue:

Fawsto
2009-03-02, 01:09 PM
If you are a "Miracled" Colossal Cleric shooting lasers and spitting fire all day long, well, your last assignment shoulbe be "Go to Tokyo and Smash Buildings", because, by definition, you are THE ClericZILLA!

(can you imagine the little japanese guys running and screaming "CRERICZIRA!!"?)

monty
2009-03-02, 01:16 PM
If you are a "Miracled" Colossal Cleric shooting lasers and spitting fire all day long, well, your last assignment shoulbe be "Go to Tokyo and Smash Buildings", because, by definition, you are THE ClericZILLA!

(can you imagine the little japanese guys running and screaming "CRERICZIRA!!"?)

Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go CoDzilla! Yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go CoDzilla! Yeah

Douglas
2009-03-02, 01:28 PM
If you're really going that route you need Dragon Breath to top it off and fit the image better. It's not actually all that powerful a spell, but it'll get you a suitable breath weapon for Godzilla imitation.

Oh, and Bite of the Werebear and Giant Size stack (mostly).:smalleek:

Heliomance
2009-03-02, 02:50 PM
Final list, probably:

Holy Transformation
Righteous Might
Vigourous Circle
Greater Visage of the Deity
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Miracled Bite of the Werebear

Miracled Giant Size will replace Righteous Might where surroundings permit.

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-02, 04:42 PM
Oh, if they let you, get Monstrous Regeneration instead of Vigorous Circle.

Who doesn't want to have regeneration like a troll? Arms fall off? Stick them back on and keep going.

Also: what level is the spell Giant Size? If it's above 7th level, it can't be Miracle'd, can it?

Douglas
2009-03-02, 05:23 PM
It is exactly 7th level, and therefore just barely within Miracle's reach.

sonofzeal
2009-03-02, 07:23 PM
Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go CoDzilla! Yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go CoDzilla! Yeah
With a purposeful premise and a terrible sound he destroys the encounter in a single round....
Helpless fighters in mithral plate scream "My God" as he casts Harm on them....
He buffs up his BAB and lays the smack down as he Turns through the zombies to the center of town...

Ooooooh no! They say he's really cheap
Go go CoDzilla! Yeaaaa....
Ooooooh no! There goes Waterdeep!

- shamelessly stolen from "utilitarian" back on WotC boards.

monty
2009-03-02, 08:04 PM
With a purposeful premise and a terrible sound he destroys the encounter in a single round....
Helpless fighters in mithral plate scream "My God" as he casts Harm on them....
He buffs up his BAB and lays the smack down as he Turns through the zombies to the center of town...

Ooooooh no! They say he's really cheap
Ooooooh no! There goes Waterdeep!

You put more effort into this. I concede defeat.

dyslexicfaser
2009-03-02, 08:21 PM
Don't worry, you're both winners in my book :smallsmile:

sonofzeal
2009-03-02, 08:33 PM
You put more effort into this. I concede defeat.
In the interests of honesty, I totally stole that from someone named "utilitarian" on the WotC boards ages ago. Probably should have cited it.

*runs back to edit*