PDA

View Full Version : [House, Race] Karma & Reincarnation Underwater

sakusha
2006-09-08, 10:36 PM
[HOUSE] Karma: What goes around comes around
[RACE] Cheakir: An Aquatic world and 13 Player Races Within It

Karma Points. You can gain and lose them; they come in Good Karma and Bad Karma; but what are they used for and how do you get them?

This ties in with my Forever Destiny world of Cheakir. Here you have a Destiny class, specified at Character creation like you would your race and stat points (that is to say it can never change). Think of it like a zodiac sign - and in this world there are 36, loosely representing divine powers / alignments / racial pantheons etc.

For taking levels in your Destiny Class you earn one *Permanent* Good Karma point per level so long as it accounts for at least half of your total character levels (rounded up).

Aside from the Permanent variety, there is the Temporary Variety, which can be used once and then are discarded. These Temporary Karma Points can be used during adventuring to modify rolls to attacks, skills, saving throws, & ability checks depending on kind of Karma Point: Mind, Guide, and Body. Mind for Saving Throws, Guide for Skill and Ability Checks, and Body for Attack Rolls. The value of their modifier depends on the strength of the Karma Point, to be specified when they are earned (like you would find on a cert).

Karma Points (non-Permanent) come in 3 kinds: Mind, Guide, and Body because there are 3 challenges to complete before a character can return to life. Permanent Karma Points can be applied freely to all 3 rolls and more than once.

Task #1 – A Will save to maintain their free mind as a spirit. The DC is set at the negative hit points reached when the character died. -13 is a DC 13 and -25 is a DC 25. Mind Karma is used here.

Task #2 – As per the Maze spell, an int check DC 20 is required to seek out the spirit’s body. Guide Karma is used here.

Task #3 – A Fortitude Save is required when the spirit re-enters the body. For every point above 10, that is the number of temporary hit points the spirit can imbue their body with. If this does not get the PC to -10 or better, the attempt is foiled. If this does get the PC to -10 or better, the character has a number of rounds equal to their character level to get healing (to a minimum of +1 hit point).

If the character makes it this far, then they have many options to further use their Karma Points, which carry with a character even in death because they are attached to their soul / essence. All spells referenced below are cast at minimum level.

Option #1 - Healing (usually due to death by lack of hit points). This will restore a character to life, but with the negative levels and con damage.
1 = Cure Light Wounds
2 = Cure Moderate Wounds
3 = Cure Serious Wounds
4 = Cure Critical Wounds
5 = Heal

Option #2 - Rebirth. This will restore a character to life as per the spell referenced.
7 = Raise Dead
10 = Resurrection
15 = True Resurrection

Option #3 - Reincarnation. As per the spell, but with a narrower range of possible races. This costs 6 Karma Points at base and puts a character at 1st level.
2 = Monster Races; per +1 effective level of new race (adjusted from current effective level of race; chosen)

If the player chooses a race with lesser effective levels than their current race, the cost is 0 additional Karma Points beyond the base 6, but no Karma Points are returned. IE a player cannot spend -3 Karma Points.

The Races I have tentatively chosen are as follows with effective level adjustments. An asterisk (*) indicates a race I will create myself:
+0 = Elf, Aquatic (MMI)
Seakin (Races of Destiny)
*Mobarid - Mossy and Tubar-like, these aquatic Myconids are naturally small-sized and otherwise resemble their relatives in mindset, being Lawful Neutral as a society. The few among their race that become adventurers are the Junior Workers that become excited by their new mobility and gain an intense wanderlust.

+1 = Merfolk (MMI)
Locathah (MMI)
*Delphyn - a variant on merfolk with dolphin-like tails with a dash of Sea Tiger (MMIII), a generally helpful & sometimes paladin-esque mentality

+2 = Triton (MMI)
*Korel - a fey-creature blend of Thorn (MMIII), Sprite (MMI), Nixie (MMI), with the general appearance of a small-sized Ocean Strider (MMII); think aquatic fairy-halflings

+3 = Sirine (MMII)
*Depthspawn - said to be children of the demonic creatures known as Gizmutan left to die when they were chased into the Deep Abyss by the divine Dekutan, similar in apperance to humanoid Ixixachitl (MMII)

+4 = *Glayshi - similar to short, squat Immoths, these are cold-dwelling dwarf-cousins of the water
*Scuttler - tauric Siege Crabs (MMIII) more lobster in appearance; thick hides; the half-orcs of the depths

+5 = *Seer - try combining a Water Elemental Weird (MMII), Nymph (MMI), and a Water Mephit (MMI). These are truly elemental-born creatures and known for their prophetic powers as well as magical prowess, all wrapped up in a small body resembling a gnome in stature.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-09, 02:41 AM
Okay, down to work.

First, karma points work best when they measure fuzzy areas like role-playing, not mechanics areas like class levels. Permanent karma for taking levels in a certain class will discourage variety. I think permanent karma should be saved for completing major goals, whether group or individuall, and excellent role-playing over a couple sessions.

Second, restarting at first level after reincarnation is a deal-killer. No PC past 3rd level would put up with that. If you are concerned about them jumping up a half-dozen levels after reincarnation, just have them lose another level for each effective level.

Other than that, I'd have some concerns about how the different karma points balance out and whether you could trim down the categories a bit before I'd be comfortable with it, but it's a good first draft.

sakusha
2006-09-11, 10:32 AM
Okay, down to work.

First, karma points work best when they measure fuzzy areas like role-playing, not mechanics areas like class levels. Permanent karma for taking levels in a certain class will discourage variety. I think permanent karma should be saved for completing major goals, whether group or individuall, and excellent role-playing over a couple sessions.

Second, restarting at first level after reincarnation is a deal-killer. No PC past 3rd level would put up with that. If you are concerned about them jumping up a half-dozen levels after reincarnation, just have them lose another level for each effective level.

Other than that, I'd have some concerns about how the different karma points balance out and whether you could trim down the categories a bit before I'd be comfortable with it, but it's a good first draft.

Thank you for your constructive critique. I'll work on that stuff. :)