PDA

View Full Version : Pixie warlock builds?

Talya
2009-03-01, 07:48 PM
Curious if anyone has tried this, and what class combinations you've tried? How were the results?

Keld Denar
2009-03-01, 08:06 PM
Carnivore over on the CharOp boards has fooled around with this concept a lot. I believe he's had pretty great sucess with it. Head over there and search around. I'd link somethin, but I'm stuck at work, wizards.com domains are blocked, and I couldn't even go home if I wanted to because of the incredibly nasty blizzard that is mauling northern Alaska right now. Sigh.

wadledo
2009-03-01, 08:30 PM
Petal over pixie, but you've heard me say this before.

As to how it works out, very very well.:smallbiggrin:

Hat-Trick
2009-03-01, 08:46 PM
+8 DEX+6 CHA, greater invisibility always active and suppressable, flight, DR10/cold iron, SR 15+lvl, +1 Natural Armor, and I hear a lot of praise for small size around here. Yeah, mix that with warlock's CHA based abilities and range specialty. Looks good at the moment, and I now want to try it.

Andras
2009-03-01, 10:31 PM
+8 DEX+6 CHA, greater invisibility always active and suppressable, flight, DR10/cold iron, SR 15+lvl, +1 Natural Armor, and I hear a lot of praise for small size around here. Yeah, mix that with warlock's CHA based abilities and range specialty. Looks good at the moment, and I now want to try it.

Yeah...from everything I've seen, it appears to pretty much build itself. Flight and Greater Invisibility at will free up some of those nice mid-range invocations for stuff to use that awesome Charisma, and the DR adds to something semi-respectable rather than being just short of worthless.

See if you can't stick in a level of rogue at first to boost damage/skills (since you've got that nice Int boost as well, and since you're invisible anyway that 1d6 sneak is nearly guaranteed).

Talya
2009-03-02, 12:23 AM
Damn. Eldritch Theurge's DR/Cold Iron ability explicitly says it stacks with DR from other sources. Obviously this is intended to stack with a Warlock's DR/cold iron. However, nothing in the wording would prevent it from stacking with a pixie's, giving you DR 14/Cold Iron by the time you finish the PrC.

Hmm. Which arcane caster would be most fun to mix with an eldritch theurge? (I'm not a fan of the wizard, thematically or mechanically. Yes, I know wizards are batman/god/whatever, I just don't like them.) Sorcerer has the advantage of being favored. Beguiler might be pretty.

I also saw someone claiming to be able to go rogue/warlock/arcane trickster, using the Spell Hand feat, but i'm fairly sure that's against the rules based on spell level requirements and Spell-like abilities not counting.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-02, 12:31 AM
Warlock should really only be crossed with Cha-based casters. Sorc, Bard, and DN. DN especially have the advantage of tacking on even more DR, at level 2 and having little overlap in spell-likes. Others just aren't worth the investment.

Also, no, Warlocks can't qualify for AT. Stupid rules. I'm a big believer in PO and never relying on or even expecting houserules, but really, WotC went so far out of their way to nerf Warlocks:smallfurious:.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 12:41 AM
I'm a big believer in PO and never relying on or even expecting houserules, but really, WotC went so far out of their way to nerf Warlocks:smallfurious:.

But... but... they can cast SLAs all day long! That must mean that they, like spontaneous casters, are SUPER OVERPOWERED AND NEED THE NERF-STICK! :smallwink:

Anyway, I've been toying with this kind of build for a couple of days, and I think it works pretty well, as others have found. As Andras said, you don't even have to worry about picking up most utility invocations (flight, etc.), so you can focus on all the other cool ones. Plus, I mean, you get to be an evil little flying fairy that zaps folk with lasers! :smalltongue:

monty
2009-03-02, 01:26 AM
Petal over pixie, but you've heard me say this before.

I agree. Better stats, smaller size, lower LA, and you can get the pixie's invisibility with invocations.

Smeggedoff
2009-03-02, 05:48 AM
I prefer sylph, same LA iirc, maybe one higher.

not seen petal though, what book is that from?

Tokiko Mima
2009-03-02, 06:15 AM
The Problem with Petals versus Pixies is an issue of Reach. A Pixie with an Eldritch Glaive can hit something 10' away. A Petal with an Eldritch Glaive has to move into the same square to make a reach melee attach, because of the weird way Reach rules work for anything smaller than Small. I would say that if the DM doesn't force you to take a level of Fey, Petals might be worth considering, especially if the other Pixie SLA's won't get much play, and you have a replacement for the spell resistance.

As far as builds, all a pixie needs is Hellfire Warlock and the Metamagic SLA feats. Then the Pixie becomes a mobile weapons platform that's invisible and lethal. Also include Voracious Dispelling and Flyby Attack for extra nastiness.

Talya
2009-03-02, 10:45 AM
I like races with lots of spell-like abilities. The more the merrier...then take Magic in the Blood at level 1 and get them all 3/day instead of 1/day, then take every feat you can find to get more SLAs. (I've got a Heartwarder with a half-celestial cohort with that feat. it is just incredible.)