PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Some Eberron Homebrew (Need Feedback)

String
2009-03-02, 12:12 AM
This is some eberron homebrew I did for a friend who wanted to run a 4e Eberron game. This is not the full extent of the homebrew he foresees needing, but it is what I have right now. The Collar of Freezing Clarity needs to be finished, but I don't know what level is appropriate.

--
Magic Item:

Collar of Freezing Clarity
This collar of smooth black stones grows startlingly cold in the presence of abberant creatures.
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, Will
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus on Saving throws against effects with the Charm, Psychic or Illusion keyword.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, you gain an item bonus equal to 1 + the Collar's enhancement bonus on all attack and damage rolls against creatures with the Abberant origin type.

Monsters:
Dolgaunt

Dolgaunt Level 2 Soldier (Leader)
Medium Aberrant Humanoid XP 125

Initiative +5 Senses Perception +8

HP 38; Bloodied 19
AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 14
Vulnerable Byeshk 5
Speed 6
M Tentacle (Standard; at-will)
+9 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage and dolgaunt shifts target 1 square
m Vitality Drain (Standard; encounter)
+7 vs Fortitude; 2d10+3 damage and target is grabbed (save ends).
Grasping Tentacles
Against grabbed opponents, a dolgaunt deals an additional 1d6 damage.
Alignment Unaligned Languages Common

Skills Athletics +8, Intimidate +6, Stealth +9
Str 14 (+3) Dex 16 (+4) Wis 15 (+3)
Con 12 (+2) Int 13 (+2) Cha 11 (+1)

Feats:

Heroic--

Gatekeeper Initiate (Tribal)You have been trained in the ancient druidic tradition of the Gatekeepers, founded originally to ward off an extraplanar assault by aberrations.
Prereqs: Primal power source
Benefit: Against any opponent with the abberation type, you gain a +2 feat bonus to attack rolls. This bonus increases by +1 for each ally with this feat that is within 10 squares of you to a maximum of +5

Least Dragonmark:
You have a least dragonmark
Prereq: Member of appropriate dragonmarked race and house.
Benefit: You gain a least dragonmark, and use of the appropriate encounter power (see below)

Paragon--
Lesser Dragonmark:
You have a lesser dragonmark
Prereq: Member of appropriate dragonmarked race and house, Least Dragonmark, 11th level
Benefit: You gain a lesser dragonmark and use of the appropriate encounter power (see below)

Greater Dragonmark:
You have a greater dragonmark
Prereq: Member of appropriate dragonmarked race and house, Least Dragonmark, Lesser Dragonmark, 11th level
Benefit: You gain a greater dragonmark and use of the appropriate encounter power (see below)

--
Greater Mark of Storm*Half-Elf Racial Power
Your dragonmark flares an icy blue and a gust of wind flies at your opponent
Encounter * Primal
Standard Action Area 3 within 10 squares
Requirement: Must have Greater Dragonmark Feat
Target: Each enemy in
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Special: This power supercedes and replaces the Least and Lesser Mark of Storm

Hit: 2d8+ Charisma Modifier damage and target is pushed 3 squares and knocked prone

Lesser Mark of Storm*Half-Elf Racial Power
Encounter * Primal
Standard Action Area 3 within 5 squares
Requirement: Must have Lesser Dragonmark Feat
Special: This power supercedes and replaces the Least Mark of Storm

Hit: 1d8+ Charisma Modifier damage and target is pushed 3 squares and knocked prone

Least Mark of Storm*Half-Elf Racial Power
Encounter * Primal
Standard Action Close 3
Requirement: Must have Least Dragonmark Feat

Hit: 1d8+ Charisma Modifier damage and target is knocked prone

-
Any thoughts?

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 12:34 AM
In general, I think the collar looks good, as does the Dolgaunt and the Dragonmarked feats.

The first problem I see is the Gatekeeper Initiate feat. Now, I know fighting Aberrations is a big thing for the Gatekeepers, but +2 attack is big, and +5 for a whole party is HUGE for the price of a feat each. Now, I could be wrong about it being too strong, but I'll have to check on the rest of the [Tribal] feats in PHB2 to be sure. I might change it to Perception checks and damage rolls vs. Aberrant creatures, or something like that.

The other thing I don't really like is the implementation of the dragonmark powers. I don't like that you spend three feats to hit a couple of opponents for 2d8 + slide/push once per encounter - it's woefully underpowered. I don't really have a suggestion for a fix, though.

String
2009-03-02, 12:41 AM
Note taken on the Dragonmarks. I wasnt incredibly happy with them. Do you think the Collar would be an appropriate Level 4+ Item? I like your suggestion about Gatekeeper Initiate.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 12:53 AM
Let's see...

The amulet of mental resolve from Adventurer's Vault is pretty close to your collar. It gives enhancement bonus to NADs (of course) and +2 to saves vs. effects with the charm, illusion, or sleep keywords. Your collar, though, works against Psychic powers (which are far more prevalent than Sleep powers), so it's at least a level higher than the (Level 2) amulet. The power, though, is also pretty good (see above about how big bonuses to attack are pretty rare), even if it is just once per day. As is, I'd be obliged to maybe Level 5 or 6.

Now, if you changed the power to be more defensive (bonus to defenses for a turn or resistance to attacks of Aberrant creatures or something), which is more in line with other Neck Slot item powers anyway, I might drop it to level 4-5.

String
2009-03-02, 12:57 AM
Collar of Freezing Clarity
This collar of smooth black stones grows startlingly cold in the presence of abberant creatures.
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, Will
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus on Saving throws against effects with the Charm, Psychic or Illusion keyword.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, you gain an item bonus equal to 1 + the Collar's enhancement bonus to all defenses

How's that?

Meek
2009-03-02, 07:13 AM
About the Dragonmarks – if you made it so they replace a normal encounter power with their own, they can be as strong as any class' power. Otherwise, yes, there'd have to be some limit to them.

Rigon
2009-03-02, 10:05 AM
my suggestion for the the daily-use minor-action item power:
Power (Daily):
immediate interrupt personal
trigger: an abomination creature attacks you
effect: you gain 1 per tier untyped bonus to all defenses until the end of the encounter.

so the power scales with level and now it contains abominations as a trigger.

as for the dragonmark:
make a feat which gives them a breath weapon like dragonborns and which allows them to learn feats related to dragonborns' breath attack.